PDA

View Full Version : need advice

Jeepxman
03-25-2010, 12:26
First and foremost, i am new to the AT but not new to hiking. I have a week off the first part of April and planned on doing the GA section. How crowded will it be during that time? Should i make other plans and stay out of the way of all the THs???:-?

Cookerhiker
03-25-2010, 12:30
If that's the section you want to hike, go for it. Yes, there will be lots of hikers so make sure you have a tent or hammock or some sort of shelter and study the maps for camping places and water so that you're not bound by shelter locations. I believe there is another recent thread or 2 about campsites in Georgia and hopefully some other Dawgs will chime in here.

Lone Wolf
03-25-2010, 12:32
First and foremost, i am new to the AT but not new to hiking. I have a week off the first part of April and planned on doing the GA section. How crowded will it be during that time? Should i make other plans and stay out of the way of all the THs???:-?

it will be very crowded. come to Damascus and head north

DAJA
03-25-2010, 13:19
You're as entitled to the trail as the THers... Get out there and enjoy it.. I'll be hiking Davenport Gap to Allan Gap next week.. I expect it to be very busy, but this is the section my lady wished to do for her birthday..

Kerosene
03-25-2010, 13:46
Shelter areas can get very crowded if you hit a 'bubble' of hikers, but if you hike a bit farther you can camp by yourself and fit 'in between' the bubbles. It's actually pretty easy to stick to yourself if you want to.

bigmac_in
03-25-2010, 13:53
I wouldn't do that section at that time, but to each his own. Too many people for my taste. I'd take Lone Wolf's suggestion if you're set on that date.

Jeepxman
03-25-2010, 14:10
Thanks for everyone's words of wisdom.

DAJA
03-25-2010, 14:14
I wouldn't do that section at that time, but to each his own. Too many people for my taste. I'd take Lone Wolf's suggestion if you're set on that date.

I fully expect my section to be very busy, but i'm kinda excited about being around others because the rest of the year, I never see a soul on the trails I hike.. It will be a completely different experience..

bigcranky
03-25-2010, 14:21
Since you are new to the AT, you might really enjoy being out with other hikers on the Trail. I always like meeting and talking to other hikers.

white_russian
03-25-2010, 15:00
I really enjoy hiking GA in April. The crowds are good entertainment. You get some folks why have traveled the world and have the most interesting stories. Then the next person is clueless and you get laughs (on the inside of course).

Jeepxman
03-25-2010, 15:43
But as KEROSENE mentioned, does everyone agree it is possible to find a tent site away from crowds? just in case.

white_russian
03-25-2010, 16:14
But as KEROSENE mentioned, does everyone agree it is possible to find a tent site away from crowds? just in case.
yep, most mountain tops and gaps in the south are campable and the crowds stay near the shelters.

Disney
03-25-2010, 16:23
There's nothing wrong with enjoying the company of hikers. If you want to do that, you will certainly get your fill. If you want solitude, you don't have to camp with them. But, you are going to be in the most crowded part of the entire AT. There will be lots of people leaving things in the shelters and dropping out. You'll get the entire gambit of thoroughly prepared (20k hiking miles under the boots), and the completely unprepared (what do you mean we can't hunt for our own food?). You might really enjoy it. I know personally I would enjoy it for a while, but when I had to leave the trail and everyone was going on, it would really bother me. But you'll meet people who are writing journals and you can follow their progress.

It's a mixed bag.

But if you want straight solitude, follow Lone Wolf's advice and head up to Damascus and hike North.

Tinker
03-25-2010, 19:31
it will be very crowded. come to Damascus and head north

Start off with a cheeseburger at Dot's. Good food and a beer will help you up the trail.;)

daddytwosticks
03-26-2010, 07:40
Last time I started off with a cheeseburger before a section hike (the NOC's Wesser burger), it came back up all over the trail while hiking that horrible hill going north of Stecoah Gap. I'll never fill my guts w/that amount of greese and gristle again and try to climb a killer hill! :(

Jeepxman
03-26-2010, 10:55
another question, is 30 degree ok for this time of year or should i take my 20? also does anyone use Mountainsmith packs anymore???

Lone Wolf
03-26-2010, 10:58
20 degree and not hardly

Jeepxman
03-26-2010, 13:46
not hardly... because of weight?

Blissful
03-26-2010, 14:17
My son carried his for half the trail until we got him an Osprey. If you're only going for a week and you like your pack, keep it.

Jeepxman
03-26-2010, 14:50
guess im old fashioned and haven't gotten into the UL packs yet. My old heavy Mountainsmith does just fine on week long 14er trips all over Colorado. Guess the key is week long and not 5-6 month long.

Shutterbug
03-26-2010, 17:43

I enjoy hiking the 100 Mile Wilderness in September southbound. You get to meet a lot of hikers going the opposite direction. I would guess that GA would be the same in April. If you hiked southbound, you would meet a lot of this year's hikers.

I hang a hammock, so I don't worry about whether or not the shelters are crowded.

Tinker
03-26-2010, 19:34
not hardly... because of weight?

Since Mountainsmith was sold by Patrick Smith, the quality has been all over the map. Some good, some bad. Do some searching on recent products to make up your mind.
Weight doesn't seem to matter to most folks as far as their pack is concerned (most like cushy hip and shoulder belts and lots of pockets - all add weight), but they get all nervous about what they put into them. Once you get your weight below 25 lbs. and learn how to pack efficiently, there's no longer a need for all that cush and organization (or a frame, for that matter). My favorite week or shorter pack weighs 14 oz. and carries 2800 cu. in. comfortably, in my estimation.

Jeepxman
03-29-2010, 11:29
thanks for the info