PDA

View Full Version : Belt ?

Loneoak
03-25-2010, 13:32
Do most hikers wear a belt?

I figure few woman do, but wondering about all the guys. It is something I wear everyday in real life, but on the trail, not so sure.
I guess if i had loops on my pants/shorts, I would wear it even tho it is extra weight.

Kerosene
03-25-2010, 13:41
No separate belt for me. Either the pants I'm wearing have an integrated "half-belt" or I'm wearing shorts with a stretch waistband.

Deadeye
03-25-2010, 15:40
Nope. Belt under hip belt = pain.

Old Hiker
03-25-2010, 15:49
I have a plastic, flat one that does well. It's very light weight and I can't even tell it's under my hip belt. After the first week of sectioning, my pants don't fit too well anymore anyway!

singingpilgrim
03-25-2010, 22:00
I'm a woman who doesn't wear a belt anyway, but I'm planning on wearing something with a drawstring (even if I have to put it in myself) so I can wear it after I lose weight. It's not hard to sew one into most things, and I just thought I'd mention that as a possibility.

jrwiesz
03-26-2010, 00:18
I posted this some time back, simple MYOG belt.

This also helps keep your pants from slipping out/falling down from under your packs waist belt :sun

DIY belt
I use the convertible pants from Sportsman guide.[It appears they longer offer these - too bad, because they were inexpensive compared to a lot of the others offered on the market today]. They have normal 1.5" belt loops like most pants offered today. But with my homemade belt(see below), I roll over, onto the belt, the waist band of the pants. Then when they are cinched under the pack waist belt, the pants are less prone to slip down. This set-up is not all that difficult to get used to, and isn't too great of a mass under the waist belt of your pack.

Try this for a belt; I've used this belt for packing with hip belts for years with great success.

Get two pair of the longest leather boot laces[most are 40 inches?], and braid three of the individual laces to form a belt. Tie the ends[all three laces] into a simple knot to finish. Then put the braided belt on like a regular belt, through the belt loops of your pants. One single wrap of the ends, where your normal belt buckle would usually be, and tighten, then take the knotted ends and tuck under the belt farther around your waist area, roll over the waist band of your pants. A lot less irritation from a belt buckle in front, no needed holes in the belt to adjust size, fits any one except the most large of waists(or get longer laces-if you can find them).

Get three pair of laces for two belts.

Getting higher waist pants helps, to roll over the waist band, and prevent one from giving yourself a wedgie!!! :eek::D

Panzer1
03-26-2010, 01:12
I also use pants with the integrated half belt.

Panzer

ChrisFol
03-26-2010, 03:08
I wear MH Mesa pant which come with an integrated webbing belt. If they didn't come with any, then I probably wouldn't wear one. I left the belts with my denim jeans my years ago.

Spokes
03-26-2010, 08:11
No belt or underwear either.......... My hiking shorts have both built in!

white_russian
03-26-2010, 08:24
All my hiking pants and shorts have a belt built in. All the belt is made of is a piece of webbing and a clip.

Tinker
03-26-2010, 08:50
I have a some pants which came with a belt. I also have a pair which did not. I use a nylon sleeping bag tie-down strap for them (1" wide).

traildust
03-26-2010, 09:18
Definetly need something if you are thruhiking because after a couple weeks, the shorts or pants will be in need of some tightening.Careful about pants where the belt is already in place. Sometimes they don't put a loop in the center of your back and the belt rides up and is a problem.

Pedaling Fool
03-26-2010, 10:02
I had to after I lost 50 lbs, but I did not have a belt, nor did I have belt loops. I used an extra strap from my backpack.

greginmi
03-26-2010, 11:24
I'm a woman who doesn't wear a belt anyway, but I'm planning on wearing something with a drawstring (even if I have to put it in myself) so I can wear it after I lose weight. It's not hard to sew one into most things, and I just thought I'd mention that as a possibility.

Be careful.

Try to make the string as thin and flat as possible.

My son wore some pants with a drawstring and the hipbelt on the pack pushed down enough to cause the string to leave a mark on his skin.

Doughnut
03-26-2010, 13:49
I use a nylon web belt, like the straps to secure items to your pack, (ie sleeping bag strap), cheap light, can be used for other things....

gumball
03-27-2010, 06:14
I am a woman--no belt.