PDA

View Full Version : K Mart Grease Pot vs. The Heineken Can

JEBjr
03-25-2010, 15:20
I’m making my first extend hike, 5 days in May - Atkins to Damascus for Trail Days. Hopefully I can make it to Damascus before everyone packs up and leaves. I feel pretty good about all my gear selections, but haven’t decided which pot I should bring.

I’m leaning towards the Grease Pot (GP). I’ve not weighed either pot but I’m am pretty sure the Heineken Can (HC) weighs less. Both seem to be adequate for boiling water, which is my primary need. The GP gets the edge in my mind, because it appears more durable and a more secure way to store the rest of my cooking system. Also, the GP is easier to eat out of should I elect to use it as a bowl and the wider base seems to be more stable and less likely to turn over while cooking. Finally, the GP is, much easier for me to get my hands inside of to clean. I think if the HC was full when I got to camp and then I made the pot after drinking the contents might give the HC a decided advantage. Additionally, the fact that I saved the can and made it into a pot for camping adds a real positive feel to the HC.

Comments, thoughts, criticism, wise cracks?

JRiker
03-25-2010, 15:28
i have both and am trying to decide also. most of your reasons are why i'm leaning toward the grease pot. the only thing that holds me on the hc is i can store my spork in it, the grease pot is a little short for that. i recommend you take both, try both, and give one away to someone who needs a lighter system on the trail...

mister krabs
03-25-2010, 15:31
HC wins if it's part of skidsteer's coffee for the trail setup with the ziplock containers. I have both, the HC gets more use, but it wouldn't if it weren't for the coffee maker aspect.

KMACK
03-25-2010, 15:34
Just to make things worst...have you thought of a Imusa mug? Best of both worlds IMO.

Lyle
03-25-2010, 15:58
I have a K-mart grease pot. It is very similar to the anodized aluminum pot I have from Anti-gravity Gear.

My concern with these is there danger of aluminum contamination of your food? These were not designed for cooking. Same with the Heiny pot. Are their coatings which burn off, or leaching that occurs?

There is the scare about soda from aluminum cans contributing to Alzheimer's.

These are just concerns that have kept me from actually using them for cooking. Anyone know any definitive answers?

Ender
03-25-2010, 16:22
I have a K-mart grease pot. It is very similar to the anodized aluminum pot I have from Anti-gravity Gear.

My concern with these is there danger of aluminum contamination of your food? These were not designed for cooking. Same with the Heiny pot. Are their coatings which burn off, or leaching that occurs?

There is the scare about soda from aluminum cans contributing to Alzheimer's.

These are just concerns that have kept me from actually using them for cooking. Anyone know any definitive answers?

Aluminum is more and more being thought of as a very unlikely reason for alzheimers. Per the Alzheimers Society: http://alzheimers.org.uk/factsheet/406
So I wouldn't worry about it.

JEBjr
03-25-2010, 16:25
If Aluminum is a cause of Alzheimers, I am doomed after all the canned drinks I have consumed.

Thanks for all the replies.

Bags4266
03-25-2010, 16:50
I have all three. I like the Imusa mug. The Heini can works well except for cleaning. Grease pot boils great because of the size of the bottom, it captures all the flame. The Imusa mug falls inbetween them both. Mine is 20 oz made a cozy for it, net bag, alumin foil top, cat stove... I'm ready!

Tinker
03-25-2010, 18:55
I’m making my first extend hike, 5 days in May - Atkins to Damascus for Trail Days. Hopefully I can make it to Damascus before everyone packs up and leaves. I feel pretty good about all my gear selections, but haven’t decided which pot I should bring.

I’m leaning towards the Grease Pot (GP). I’ve not weighed either pot but I’m am pretty sure the Heineken Can (HC) weighs less. Both seem to be adequate for boiling water, which is my primary need. The GP gets the edge in my mind, because it appears more durable and a more secure way to store the rest of my cooking system. Also, the GP is easier to eat out of should I elect to use it as a bowl and the wider base seems to be more stable and less likely to turn over while cooking. Finally, the GP is, much easier for me to get my hands inside of to clean. I think if the HC was full when I got to camp and then I made the pot after drinking the contents might give the HC a decided advantage. Additionally, the fact that I saved the can and made it into a pot for camping adds a real positive feel to the HC.

Comments, thoughts, criticism, wise cracks?

A Heine can is fine for a weekend (more if you only eat freeze-dried or use the freezer bag rehydration method).
You list all the right reasons.
I have a 1.3 liter ti pot which is perfect for me (lots of extra room so I don't spill food while stirring it - yes, I cook my Knorr-Lipton dinners for a couple of minutes before putting the pot into my cozy). I'm not afraid to wash my pot (I carry bio suds for my hands, too anyway). I'd rather do that than go through a couple of petroleum based plastic bags a day.

Tinker
03-25-2010, 18:57
If Aluminum is a cause of Alzheimers, I am doomed after all the canned drinks I have consumed.

Thanks for all the replies.

Drink cans (including the Heine can) are plastic lined to keep the beverage from eating into the aluminum (it doesn't do well against acids and salts).

If you make a Heine Can, boil it out a few times to get rid of at least some of the plastic.

boarstone
03-25-2010, 19:24
I use a tomatoe sauce can...

Siestita
03-26-2010, 01:14
I use the Walmart grease pot which is no longer sold. It's much like the newer K-Mart pot. I leave ithe grease pot's heavy lid at home, taking instead a much lighter one which I cut from botom of a disposable aluminum pie pan.

wilSwim
03-26-2010, 12:26
Grease pot weighs 120 gram or 4.25 ozs without the strainer that it comes with

JEBjr
03-26-2010, 19:14
Thanks everyone. I'll have to check into the Imusa.

JRiker
03-26-2010, 19:26
i bougth an imusa grease dispenser a long time ago at a walmart in san diego. haven't been able to find one since. after a lot of research, i was able to find one place online that still offers it.

here's the link: http://www.cheflatino.com/product_info.php?cPath=56_64&products_id=164

i love this thing and think i'll order another one just for s&g's

JRiker
03-26-2010, 19:29
here's the link to the whole aluminum section. also includes the larger 1.5 quart and the two sizes of mugs...

http://www.cheflatino.com/index1.php?cPath=56_64

page 1 has the big 1.5 quart.

page 2 has the mugs and the smaller .9 quart (my favorite)

Bags4266
03-26-2010, 20:49
Her ya go. Grease pot $6.50, Imusa $3.50 and $4.40

https://end2endtrailsupply.com/Imusa_Mugs.html

Tuckahoe
03-26-2010, 22:12
I do like both the grease pot and the imusa mug. But my beef with both is that the grease pot does not have a handle and the mug does not have a lid.

Bags4266
03-26-2010, 22:22
I do like both the grease pot and the imusa mug. But my beef with both is that the grease pot does not have a handle and the mug does not have a lid.

What do want for $3.50. I use alum. foil on the small mug and a homemade cozy. The grease pot is only use when I bring 2 or more peps.

Tuckahoe
03-26-2010, 22:33
What do want for $3.50. I use alum. foil on the small mug and a homemade cozy. The grease pot is only use when I bring 2 or more peps.

I thought I made it clear that I wanted a handle or a lid...:p

Rocket Jones
03-26-2010, 22:50

For my grease pot I drilled two small holes on the rim and made a bale out of wire. I also cut two small slots in the lid where the holes are to fit. The bale fits inside the pot when packed.

JRiker
03-27-2010, 07:51

http://www.cheflatino.com/product_info.php?cPath=56_64&products_id=164

best of both worlds. has the lid and the handle. holds three cups, my favorite one...

Tinker
03-27-2010, 08:07
For my grease pot I drilled two small holes on the rim and made a bale out of wire. I also cut two small slots in the lid where the holes are to fit. The bale fits inside the pot when packed.

Having a bail for that type of pot is a good idea, though drilling holes prevents pressurizing the pot, which can reduce boiling times. I've found this to be true with my Evernew pot - putting a rock on top of the lid makes the water come to a boil faster.
I use a bandanna for picking up my pot - I couldn't do that well if the pot was so small that it was full for every meal - just a side thought and a plug for larger pots.

For pot shoppers - try weighing identical pot designs and models, one small, one large. I was surprised that the larger pots don't weigh more and that the smaller ones don't weigh less. Yet another reason to go big.

zelph
03-27-2010, 13:04

best of both worlds. has the lid and the handle. holds three cups, my favorite one...

Nice!!! I like it:) Thanks for sharing that link

JRiker
03-28-2010, 10:27
Nice!!! I like it:) Thanks for sharing that link

yeah it was hard to find that one online. i had to find it on the imusa website. but they don't sell from their website, so i used the part number from their website to do a search. talk about a PITA...

Alli
03-28-2010, 18:32
How much does the Imusa grease pot weigh?

mister krabs
03-28-2010, 19:14

here's a little cook set I put together with one of those

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/7/8/9/6/dscf4755.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=25682&c=member&orderby=title&direction=ASC&imageuser=17896&cutoffdate=-1)

Bags4266
03-28-2010, 19:21
How well does it do?
I just pulled out my old grease pot (no handle one) put 4c of water in it, cat stove, 3/4 oz fuel and brought it to a rapid boil. The cat stove like this pot because it has a large base.

mister krabs
03-29-2010, 15:43
It does well with the fancy feest, though I haven't taken a stopwatch to it.

JRiker
04-02-2010, 16:09
How much does the Imusa grease pot weigh?

grease pot w/lid and strainer weighs in at about 5 ounces.
alum. mug (10 cm) weighs in at about 2.5 ounces.

options: ditch strainer, switch out knob with smaller one from little pot that comes in a cheapo mess kit, that pot is worthless anyways, but the knob fits the grease pot well.

JRiker
04-02-2010, 16:47
picture of mug side by side with grease pot.

this is the smaller grease pot and the 10 cm mug. the lid on the mug is a lid from my old grease pot that got destroyed...