PDA

View Full Version : Wild Apples

steve hiker
10-10-2004, 14:17
Probably not native, but wild and delicious after whatever homestead was at Burningtown Gap was abandoned decades ago. Another reason to hike the trail in the fall. Thousands of spring NOBOs rush by and just see another green tree.

DebW
10-10-2004, 15:46
Just learned this term. It refers to a method of apple seed dispersal by bears. But since bears have a high-throughput digestive system, the dispersal is about as far as a bear can walk in 2 hours. People in Vermont and NH claim to find apple seedling sprouting from bear poop, and term them "crap apples". Bears mush their food rather than chewing completely, so the apple seeds pass through intact.

Grimace
10-11-2004, 11:04
I ate a couple apples on my SOBO trip near Cold Mtn in VA. Fun little section there

MisterSweetie
10-11-2004, 11:45
Just learned this term. It refers to a method of apple seed dispersal by bears. But since bears have a high-throughput digestive system, the dispersal is about as far as a bear can walk in 2 hours. People in Vermont and NH claim to find apple seedling sprouting from bear poop, and term them "crap apples". Bears mush their food rather than chewing completely, so the apple seeds pass through intact.Ah, seed dispersal. This is good stuff. There are many interesting ways of seed dispersal. This is a perfect example.

smokymtnsteve
10-11-2004, 11:54
For an interesting discussion of Apple botany and the real story of Johhny Appleseed I highly recommend Michael Pollan's "BOTANY OF DESIRE"

http://www.political-sciences.com/The_Botany_of_Desire_A_PlantsEye_View_of_the_World _0375501290.html