PDA

View Full Version : Thats not good

YoungMoose
03-25-2010, 21:46
According to the ATTrol from his trailjournal he said someone attempted to hack the server. I doubt you will find the person becuase they have probably gone through 3 proxies. so you cant track his ip. but if you do somehow find it tell me his ip adress and ill make sure he can never use his computer again. lol. :banana

What are your thoughts abouth someone trying to hack the wb server.

waywardfool
03-25-2010, 21:50
I dunno, but if you have a site on the innerwebs, especially a popular high-traffic site, sooner or later somebody is gonna try and hack you. Don't forget to lock all the doors and windows. And don't use "password1" as the password.

Skidsteer
03-25-2010, 21:51
What are your thoughts abouth someone trying to hack the wb server.

It's not the first time and it won't be the last.

Hooch
03-25-2010, 21:52
Wouldn't be the first time it's happened. Probably some pissed off former member like Zoidfu, WhitefootHP or one of those other ********.

warraghiyagey
03-25-2010, 22:01
I blame society. . .

Feral Bill
03-25-2010, 22:18
Bad idea threatening to hack them back. Not that it wouldn't cross ones mind.

white_russian
03-25-2010, 22:24
only 3 proxies, freaking amateurs.

Skidsteer
03-25-2010, 23:06
Yeah. Likely just a snot-nose kid.

SGT Rock
03-25-2010, 23:09
Last time I got hacked it was from the middle east. I cannot remember where the last real hack at WB came from when I was still doing admin work.

cindellasaurus
03-25-2010, 23:20
I dont see why someone would be particularly interested in hacking WB unless, like was mentioned above, they're some disgruntled, former member. I mean, I just cant imagine what kind of person would get satisfaction from messing up a site where hikers trade info, stories, advice etc. I suppose some people just get their jollies doing the strangest things...

SGT Rock
03-25-2010, 23:33
Well there are groups that do tis sort of thing for fun. They find software security holes, then share how to hack it with each other. Once they find one they share it with other guys in their group, like: "Go see what I did."

When I last got hacked, they were hitting ever site with vBulletin that had the same version and thus the same vulnerability. They really didn't give a crap what site the vBulletin was actually on.

Sort of like internet version of tagging.

mtnkngxt
03-26-2010, 10:50
Hacking websites in many cases is like guys who show cars, but for tech heads.

sherrill
03-26-2010, 11:06
I monitor some government websites (.org) for NIH. We get punched every minute.

mister krabs
03-26-2010, 11:47
I dont see why someone would be particularly interested in hacking WB unless, like was mentioned above, they're some disgruntled, former member. I mean, I just cant imagine what kind of person would get satisfaction from messing up a site where hikers trade info, stories, advice etc. I suppose some people just get their jollies doing the strangest things...

several things are valuable about this site. It gets high traffic, and if an attacker could change the code on the page to automatically infect vulnerable pc's he could increase his zombie army. Also, account information. How many people also have [email protected] and the same password as they have here? It would be trivial to write a script that takes username and password information from here and hammers yahoo, hotmail, gmail, banks, etc with the login info from here. Also, this site is a trusted source, if you change the "today's posts" link to redirect to a trojan download that exploits a vulnerability in Adobe flash, people will just keep on clicking because they trust that the todays posts link is safe. People get infected, zombie army grows.

YoungMoose
03-26-2010, 12:29
I guess it wasnt the smartest idea for me to threaten to hack the person back.

mister krabs
03-26-2010, 15:39
I guess it wasnt the smartest idea for me to threaten to hack the person back.

Fret not, they're not watching.