PDA

View Full Version : tried hammock; didn't like it

sierraDoug
10-10-2004, 14:38
I tried a HH Backpacker for a few nights here in California and decided to return it to REI. First of all, finding the right trees seems a hassle out here. It's probably a completely different story along the AT. I posted a question about using a hammock in the Sierras on several forums and heard from a guy who said too often you'd be above the treeline, or the trees were wrong where you'd want to make camp, or you might be in a treeless meadow. This confirms what I've seen.

Also, at least with the Hennessy, it was a bit too claustraphobic for me. If I play with a hammock in the future I'll try an open top design.

And I sleep cold, and keeping the bottom side warm is a big production. For the weight of the hammock and underquilt, I can carry more ground padding and get the comfortable (enough) sleep that checking out the hammock was all about in the first place.

See you all over in the ultralight forum in the future. Thanks for the help along the way. :)

Hammock Hanger
10-10-2004, 17:41
It's not for everyone. I do feel all should give it a try though. Enjoy whatever sleeping arrangments work for you. Sue/Hammock Hanger

trippclark
10-11-2004, 12:29
Agree with HH, it is not for everyone. I love my hammock . . . okay, hammocks (3 -- 2 Hennessy and 1 Speer), but admit that everything sierraDoug mentioned is or a least could be an issue.

Clausterphobia has not been an issue for me, but I clearly see how it could be for others. Spacing of trees is more of an issue than I thought it would be. Sometimes I have to search more than I expected to find the right spaced trees, the right size, and without other trees or branches in the way. It is, however, usually easier than finding a good flat root and rock free spot for a tent. Cold weather, without an underquilt or peapod is an issue.

Even so, I ain't going back to sleeping on the ground!

attroll
10-11-2004, 12:36
I agree with Trippclark. These could be some issues. But like he said in so many words. I am not going back to sleeping on the ground unless I absolutely have to. It is so much better to wake up in the morning without your back hurting and not being stiff. The comfort level is well worth it.

SGT Rock
10-11-2004, 12:38
Ditto to all the above.

Shredder
10-11-2004, 12:57
With me and my back, there is really no option if I want to continue to be outdoors over night on trips. These things brought back a hobby that seemed to be gone forever and gave me new life......Shredder

FatMan
10-11-2004, 22:13
It will be a cold day in He11 (or at least a sub-freezing night) when I sleep on the ground again.:banana

But to each their own. HYOH

Footslogger
10-12-2004, 10:09
Well ...I didn't go so far as to return mine, but I did decide that there is a time and place for hammock camping. And, at least for me, Winter is NOT one of those times. I've owned my Hennessey for 5 - 6 years (pre-asym design) and have had many a restful night dangling between trees in the north GA mountains, but only in the warmer months. In fact, I carried it for a while on my thru last year, but finally opted to send it home in favor of an ultra-light silnylon tent.

I've tried the vast majority of tips and tricks to make hammock camping comfortable during the colder months and finally came to the personal conclusion that the effort wasn't worth the payoff.

That said, I still enjoy my hammock and have no intention of returning it. In fact, one thing I need to do is get the larger fly. The original Hennessey came with a silnylon fly that is a tad skimpy.

As most people have stated, hammock camping probably isn't for everyone. It takes a bit of "getting used to" and some folks never can make the transitition. You have to re-think the organization of your gear and clothing to accomodate the fact that you generally don't have any of it inside the hammock with you and thus, if you need something in the middle of the night you might just have to open the velcro to crawl out and get it. Other than that, sleeping in a hammock is truly comfortable and it is somewhat liberating not having to find level ground to pitch your tent.

"Have trees ...will hammock"

'Slogger
AT 2003

The Solemates
10-12-2004, 12:35
I dont like hammocks either. My back is always sore in the morning if I sleep in such an arced position all night. Not to mention I like to camp more in the winter, so hammocks are out of the question. Too much convection.

steve hiker
10-12-2004, 14:06
I tried a hammock last week and had a couple of problems. One was the pad sliding around all over the place and trying to throw me out of the hammock.

The other problem was changing positions. I'm a side sleeper and had a hard time turning from one side to another without the sleeping bag turning with me and getting all twisted. In a shelter or tent, you simply put a hand or elbow to the floor which holds the bag in place as you turn. But in a hammock there is no hard surface to pin the bag down with. I found myself having to turn very slowly and carefully, which is annoying to say the least when you're basically asleep and want to change positions with minimal effort and attention. Would using a quilt instead of a sleeping bag help with this?

sierraDoug
10-12-2004, 14:06
I think a big part of making a hammock work on a regular basis is living where there are plenty of trees and the nights aren't too cold. Like back east. Out here in the Sierras backpacking is different. In the middle of the summer the night temp's can be below freezing. You never know ahead of time. And there are great places in the Sierras to backpack above the tree line, or around scrubby, far apart trees.

Again, each to their own. After I get my basic gear list lightened up I might try making a simple (top-loading) hammock for low altitude camping... and for taking naps in town in the park! :)

Shredder
10-12-2004, 15:59
I dont like hammocks either. My back is always sore in the morning if I sleep in such an arced position all night. Not to mention I like to camp more in the winter, so hammocks are out of the question. Too much convection.
Soulmates, sore in the morning, thats what I thought too. to my relief thats not what happened, if the opposite. I feel better than sleeping in my home bed in the morning.Shredder

trippclark
10-12-2004, 17:18
Solemates,

It sounds like either your hammock was not tight enough between trees or you were not sleeping at an angle in the hammock. These two things make you sleep quite level. On the other hand, if the hammock is not tight and you sleep straight in the middle it can make you very much arched.

minnesotasmith
10-28-2004, 18:48
Do you mind elaborating on what you meant here? :confused: (I understand the traditional meaning of the word perfectly.)

"Too much convection."

orangebug
10-28-2004, 19:01
He's talking about heat loss under the hammock sleeper, as you are surrounded by cold air. Your heat is lost via convection from air moving past you. There can also be heat loss conductively, from having direct skin contact with the fabric.

There are a variety of strategies to deal with these issues of heat and comfort. I've chosen the Speer Peapod strategy, that places me in a loosely hung hammock, surrounded by a down quilt. In the back yard, it is toasty warm. I'm looking forward to a section in 2 weeks to try it out in colder arenas. I have a zero degree WM Puma bag as backup.

minnesotasmith
10-28-2004, 19:41
Heat loss during cold weather sleeping in a hammock ought to be less than bivy-sack sleeping on the ground. I was taught in Boy Scouts that if you are sleeping outdoors without a tent in cold weather and had only one blanket to put it under you, as you can expect to lose more heat from cold ground than from cold air. (I suppose that this rule presumed you were not wet.)

orangebug
10-28-2004, 19:57
I'd heap a bunch of leaves and pine bows under me and use the blanket on top!

The problem is the surrounding cold moving air. I've dealt with sub-zero temps and did well with a thick Ridgerest and a 3/4 Thermorest ultra light. Once there is dead air under you, heat loss below is by conduction only, and that is slower.

Today's hammocks use pads inside the hammock, as well as quilts around it. I like the comfort of not having my old bony protrusions pushing into a floor. There is a trade off with the relative ease of staying warm.

Fiddleback
10-28-2004, 20:38
...and during the winter, the air is often colder than the ground (e.g., the ground can be insulated by snow, a new more vigorous front can move in bringing colder air temps, etc.) Because of this, you bleed off more heat in a hammock than if you were sleeping on the ground. Add movement to that cold air and your bippy really starts to get cold. I think in any season the hammock sleeps cooler.

FB

U-BOLT
10-29-2004, 03:21
The thing I don't like about a winter hammock setup is the weight is really heavy. I've never seen a winter setup under 5 lbs., and often it's way over. I'd rather take a 0 degree down bag at 3 lbs., a good pad, and sleep lighter at a shelter.

attroll
10-29-2004, 03:30
The thing I don't like about a winter hammock setup is the weight is really heavy. I've never seen a winter setup under 5 lbs., and often it's way over. I'd rather take a 0 degree down bag at 3 lbs., a good pad, and sleep lighter at a shelter.
I agree with you U-Bolt. If I am going to carry that much weight just to use a hammock in the winter then I might as well go with a tent and sleeping bag that weighs less.

Fiddleback
10-29-2004, 11:22
Of course it depends on just how cold the temps are going to be. I tested the Hennessey in the low 20s without anything special and with no sleeping bag or quilt (see my post @ "2004 cold weather tweaking", this forum). HOWEVER, I already carry cold weather clothing throughout most of the year so their dual use as a sleep system cost no weight gain. The addition of two or three pounds-worth of bag or quilt would take my temp limit way, way down and my total weight would still be similar or less than tent-sleeping weight. But for me, the comfort of the hammock is vastly better (and to be honest, I haven't backpacked the Northern Rockies in winter...yet).

FB

peter_pan
10-29-2004, 13:18
I agree with you U-Bolt. If I am going to carry that much weight just to use a hammock in the winter then I might as well go with a tent and sleeping bag that weighs less.

There appears to be some oversimplification on the part of ground sleepers here. First, let's agree on a winter definition; of say, comfortable at 10 degrees. Second, let's agree that the entire contents of the pack is fair game to supplement the system. Lets call this a winter sleep shelter. Third since no one is assured a place in a shelter, you must have a stand alone all weather shelter. Lastly let's include the cords, pegs, ground cloths, pads.

I contend that there are few if any winter, stand alone, ground sleepers lighter than this hammock hanger. I would argue, few can also compair in simplicty. Finally, I would argue the comfort is hard, if not impossible, to beat.

My Winter System:

Hennessy Extreme Light Racer, With tree huggers,
and JRB suspension sys 13 oz
JRB Python Skins 2 oz
JRB Nest UQ 19 oz
JRB No Sniveller UQ (doubled up) 19 oz
JRB Old Rag Mtn Q 24 oz
JRB 8x8 Tarp with 4 ea 9 ft 2mm cord ties 11 oz
JRB Silnyl Compression sack for NS & ORM 1 oz
Two 7065 alum "Y" pegs 1 oz
90 oz or 5.625 lbs

Set up time is approx two minutes to hang the hammock, pull back the Pythons, peg out the two tarp corners, Three minutes at the most. Add a minute to clip the second UQ to the four mini carabiners and put the ORM Quilt inside and camp is ready.

No ground site to prepare, no ground cloth, no pad, no run-off to worry about.

To sleep I wear my Exped wgt Patagonia top and bottom, smartwool socks, Convertible gloves and fleece balaclava and fleece watch cap. Very Comfortabe. Still have my hiking clothes,rain jacket, and a second fleece shirt in reserve. All of this is included in my sub 13 lb winter base.

Wyoming
10-29-2004, 16:45
Soulmates,

I am the same. I have never gotton a sore back from sleeping on the ground. I do sleep on my back however. But put me in a soft bed and I can't sleep more than 6 hours before I hurt so bad I have to get up.

Just remember. We are designed to live and eat like cavemen! All the rest is civilization getting in the way :)

steve hiker
10-30-2004, 01:14
Third since no one is assured a place in a shelter, you must have a stand alone all weather shelter.
You'll always find shelter space in the winter. Usually, you'll have the shelter to yourself.

Youngblood
10-30-2004, 08:09
...Third since no one is assured a place in a shelter, you must have a stand alone all weather shelter. ...

I totally agree with this. While it is true that there are less folks camping in the winter and therefore you are less likely to have a problem finding shelter space, the consequences of finding a full shelter when you don't have a stand alone all weather shelter is... well, its bad! You don't have a lot of daylight to go to the next one and the weather is not always forgiving.

Youngblood

FatMan
10-30-2004, 16:42
You'll always find shelter space in the winter. Usually, you'll have the shelter to yourself.Too many weather related uncertainties in the winter to risk not carrying a personal shelter. I have seen weather change so fast that I was unable to make it to a shelter. Hiking in the winter and being 100% dependent on shelters is not smart hiking.

steve hiker
10-31-2004, 03:21
Too many weather related uncertainties in the winter to risk not carrying a personal shelter. I have seen weather change so fast that I was unable to make it to a shelter. Hiking in the winter and being 100% dependent on shelters is not smart hiking.
If you can't plow through 5 miles of fresh snow to make it to the next shelter, go back to Atlanta where the weak people are!

FatMan
10-31-2004, 09:29
If you can't plow through 5 miles of fresh snow to make it to the next shelter, go back to Atlanta where the weak people are!I'll take weak and smart over tough and stupid every time.

Wyoming
10-31-2004, 20:36
Definition of winter?? OK I'll bite. I must admit I am not a fan of hammocks as I don't sleep well in them and find them awkward for accessing my journal, book, etc after I am sacked out. But my big IF with a hammock for winter camping is that what you described above does not fit my definition of winter. More like spring or fall. Now I know that winters along most of the AT are not severe, but those in New England in the mountians could easily qualifiy as real winter. 10 degrees is not real winter camping conditions. Try minus 10 F and colder. Please include wind. I used to camp in the winter in Wyoming when I was younger and have seen near minus 40 F and lots of times well below the minus 10 mentioned above. And winds of up to 40 mph. I am curious if the hammock systems can keep you warm in such conditions. Has anyone out there actually tried a hammock in real cold and wind. Do they actually work. What do you do when it is showing/blowing hard and you need to relive yourself or cook food?

I recently read a journal of a young Israeli (I can't remember his name right now) who hiked the CDT. He was carrying a hammock. If you have not read this journal you might take a look at it. For portions of his hike the hammock was a total disaster. Now he never said that he thought this, but read his journal and draw your own conclusions. He would have been MUCH better off with a ground shelter (not to mention a pair of snowshoes). Mind you he was hiking in the spring/summer/fall and he was at severe risk of hypothermia on a number of occasions where if had had a tent there would have been no real problem. Interesting discussion. Wyo

minnesotasmith
11-01-2004, 10:37
1) Have you remembered that Israeli hiker's name?

2) Did he have a proper hiking hammock like a Hennessy, or just something that suburbanites might use during summer in their backyards?

3) Is that hiker's journal on trailjournals.com somewhere? If you can tell us the year he hiked, or any other info, it'd be easier to find. I think that "hikes gone bad" have useful lessons, as well as being entertaining; consider Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods", after all.

Youngblood
11-01-2004, 10:51
Wyoming,

I don't think you will get too many arguments with the reasoning of your posts from most hammockers. Hammocks do have their limitations compared to a winter tent as winter conditions become more extreme. Heck, most of us hammockers make provisions to go to the ground and just tarp if things get too bad when we are out there.

One thing you may have missed in some of the posts was that 'winter conditions' were sometimes defined. Myself, I stay out of snow and try to limit my trips to just a few days at a time when I don't expect the temps to go much below +20 degrees... and I don't always rule out taking a winter tarp instead of a winter hammock setup. But, I live in the deep south.

Youngblood

Hammock Hanger
11-01-2004, 10:52
1) Have you remembered that Israeli hiker's name?

2) Did he have a proper hiking hammock like a Hennessy, or just something that suburbanites might use during summer in their backyards?

3) Is that hiker's journal on trailjournals.com somewhere? If you can tell us the year he hiked, or any other info, it'd be easier to find. I think that "hikes gone bad" have useful lessons, as well as being entertaining; consider Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods", after all.
That hiker would be Roni. He started his thru hike in 2001 at the Friary/Greymoor. I was there for his first day. At that time he used a rain ponch/tarp or shelters. He made it to Katahdin and turned around and hiked back to Springer. He went on to hike the PCT and is on the CDT now. He does have a TJournal. Can ya guess who turned him on to the HAMMOCK!! :D
Sue/Hammock Hanger

Hammock Hanger
11-01-2004, 10:55
Wyoming,

I don't think you will get too many arguments with the reasoning of your posts from most hammockers. Hammocks do have their limitations compared to a winter tent as winter conditions become more extreme. Heck, most of us hammockers make provisions to go to the ground and just tarp if things get too bad when we are out there.

One thing you may have missed in some of the posts was that 'winter conditions' were sometimes defined. Myself, I stay out of snow and try to limit my trips to just a few days at a time when I don't expect the temps to go much below +20 degrees... and I don't always rule out taking a winter tarp instead of a winter hammock setup. But, I live in the deep south.

Youngblood
My sentiments exactly... I have broguht it down to a ground bivy on two occasions. And hiking during the hard New England style winters are not in my game plan. Lwop is trying to get me to the Smokies this winter, we'll see.
Sue/HH

Wyoming
11-01-2004, 20:30
Yes, Roni was his name. I just could not remember. He has finished his hike on the CDT. His journal is very good and he wrote a lot. I read the whole thing. The reason I brought it up was that I was struck by the problems he described. Perhaps what was most instructive was the difficulties he encountered considering what an experienced hiker he is. He was not prepared in many ways for what he encountered on the CDT. This may be due the the much more extreme conditions found along the CDT as compared to the PCT or AT.

Having grown up backpacking and climbing in the Rockies I find certain standard behaviors found on the AT extremely (however correct they may be) hard to follow. For instance I recently read a comment by a very experienced AT hiker that he saw no need to carry anything larger than a very small Swiss Army knife. I would never go into the wilderness without a serious knife and a folding knife to supplement the Swiss Army knife. It can mean the difference between life and death. To not carry a compass on the AT, perhaps, but not on the CDT? Even if I had a GPS I would carry a small backup compass. To read that CDT hikers are even contemplating hiking long distances (10's of miles or more) by "postholing" thru knee deep or more snow much less trying it surprises me. If the snowshoes are too heavy to carry until you need them I wonder if the hiker really belongs there. Anyway I am getting off topic and should end this I guess. Cheers, Wyo

sawwhetowl
11-02-2004, 20:07
I would never go into the wilderness without a serious knife and a folding knife to supplement the Swiss Army knife.

What exactly do you carry?
Thanks

minnesotasmith
11-03-2004, 11:57
"Having grown up backpacking and climbing in the Rockies I find certain standard behaviors found on the AT extremely (however correct they may be) hard to follow."

After having spent a summer backpacking around West Texas, New Mexico, and Utah, the idea of carrying less than a gallon of water at all times I'm over a mile from a facility with plumbing and city water still unnerves me. You can get away with it on much of the AT, but still...

Wyoming
11-04-2004, 21:58
Sawwhetowl ...I like to have a small Swiss Army type knife for its tools (I have always found good use for them). I have carried a whole bunch of different folders over the years. I sort of collect interesting designs and try them out. When I was young I generally carried one of the big Bucks that were common at the time (this knife normally doubled as my work knife as well as I did not have a lot of money at the time and could not afford a knife just for hiking). Now I normally have at least a couple that I am playing with in some way. Seeing what I think of the ergonomics of the designs and the quality of the steels used. My favorite is a nice Benchmade model. Folders do not have a long lifespan if they are used hard as most are not well made and use the wrong kinds of steel. Designs I do not like I give away or toss in a drawer so I go through quite a few of them. I have never gotton into making folders so they are all commerical blades (BTW: I hate serrated edge blades - they just suck in the performance department). For a more serious blade I always carry one of the ones I have made myself (this is a hobby of mine). Normally I have some kind of skinner design with me, but I also sometimes carry a fighting style blade. It does not make that much of a difference as any of them will suffice if they are really needed. Wyo

Wyoming
11-04-2004, 22:03
Minnesota...lol you and I would make a pair. I am always getting the "why on earth are you carrying so much water?!" from the people I meet on the AT.

minnesotasmith
11-05-2004, 10:24
When I did all the hiking out West in the summer of 1987, I would "camel-up" with well over a quart of liquid in the morning before setting out, carry 5 quarts with me (that I inevitably completely consumed if I stayed out all day), and still drank over 2 quarts that evening, once back in camp. Carrying at least a gallon of water when hiking just feels like the minimum of prudence to to me.

Moonbeam
11-08-2004, 15:21
I have been trying out my HH and am confounded by the dizziness that I experience every time. I have to actually plan that I will be so dizzy that I stumble around like a drunken sailor. I stop intermittantly, focus on the ground, or a tree next to me. After it subsides I start again. I should add that of the 5 or so times I have done this, only once was the ground fairly flat. The other times the grade was considerable. Ideas? :o
Moonbeam

Hammock Hanger
11-08-2004, 16:40
So you were dizzy again this time out!!! Girl I just don't know what to tell you. I'll be watching for further post to see if any of the other hammockers have had that problem or have a solution. Sorry I was of no help when we went on our weekend. Sue/HH

Moonbeam
11-09-2004, 09:55
HH you were a great help. You gotta figure I had never hung my hammock except in my back yard. You showed me how to look for trees, check for distance, tie the knots and that was invaluable. Still, I don't know ..........if you have never been dizzy in your hammock you can't help with that. As soon as I get in and settle down it goes away, and I'm still loving the comfort. That's the good news.
Moonbeam

Shredder
11-09-2004, 16:51
Maybe it's an inner ear thing like what you feel on a boat if your not used to it. If thats the case it should go away after more use. Good luck.....Shredder

attroll
11-10-2004, 02:07
Does this only happen when you are in a hammock? I have an inner ear problem once and a while that happens when I am laying down. It goes away with time.

rpettit
11-18-2004, 15:07
I have read on your website that you have tested HH extensively. I am a new convert to the HH ultra light asym, and after getting use to a hammock, sleep quite well in it. Have you tested HH's new undercover/underpad system? The open cell foam pad seemed quite thin in HH's video instructions on their website. I am skeptical of it's insulative ability, and at about $150 for the undercover/underpad system, I am not quite ready to make an investment.

SGT Rock
11-18-2004, 15:33
I can use a pad down to about freezing. Think of an over and under quilt as a different form of mummy bag. You just get the halfs of the bag seperate, one under the hammock and one over the sleeper.

walkin' wally
11-18-2004, 16:25
HH you were a great help. You gotta figure I had never hung my hammock except in my back yard. You showed me how to look for trees, check for distance, tie the knots and that was invaluable. Still, I don't know ..........if you have never been dizzy in your hammock you can't help with that. As soon as I get in and settle down it goes away, and I'm still loving the comfort. That's the good news.
Moonbeam

If it only happens when you are in a hammock it may be indeed related to the hammock but...

There is a condition that is called ' benign positional vertigo' which will cause dizziness and will occur after raising or lowering your head from a certain position, whether in a bed,hammock, or whatever. A doctor can watch the direction your head is in when this occurs and give you exercises to make this problem subside. The doctor will also watch your eyes move while the dizziness is happening. It all has to do with a small particle moving in the inner ear. I have had this trouble and the dizzines can sometimes be quite severe. Imagine everything spinning around quite fast and not having much balance. Like you said if I am still it went away quickly.
Maybe this has nothing to do with what you have. But it sounds familiar to me.
Good luck anyway :sun

Hammock Hanger
11-18-2004, 18:21
I have read on your website that you have tested HH extensively. I am a new convert to the HH ultra light asym, and after getting use to a hammock, sleep quite well in it. Have you tested HH's new undercover/underpad system? The open cell foam pad seemed quite thin in HH's video instructions on their website. I am skeptical of it's insulative ability, and at about $150 for the undercover/underpad system, I am not quite ready to make an investment.

There are a number of us that will be testing it out come the cold weather. I'm sure opinions will be coming in soon. Sue/HH

roni
12-19-2004, 12:36
I recently read a journal of a young Israeli (I can't remember his name right now) who hiked the CDT. He was carrying a hammock. If you have not read this journal you might take a look at it. For portions of his hike the hammock was a total disaster. Now he never said that he thought this, but read his journal and draw your own conclusions. He would have been MUCH better off with a ground shelter (not to mention a pair of snowshoes). Mind you he was hiking in the spring/summer/fall and he was at severe risk of hypothermia on a number of occasions where if had had a tent there would have been no real problem. Interesting discussion. Wyo
That "young Israeli" must be me , and the hammock was never a total disaster. On the contrary - there wasn't a single night in the 500 odd nights Ive spent on trails that I wasn't happy I was carring the hammock. I was able to find somewhere to hang it on the p.c.t in all but a few days (in the southern dessert section) and on the c.d.t., again in evry night except one night in N.M. and two or three nights near the red desert in wyoming. I also used it in winter on my 9.5 months a.t. thruhike, when I was able to hammock in shelters, as the shelters were in winter bairly used and never full, and no one ever minded if I hang my hammock in them (as they could sleep under it). I was even able to sleep in my hammock through an arctic storm that hit me in virginia, where tempratures dropped below zero (farenheit). I just used two z-rest matresses under me (with 14 sections in total) and a 15-25 degree sleepping bag (and slept with all my cloths on). So my answer to the questions - can one use a HH in winter, and can one use a HH on the c.d.t. and p.c.t. is a definete yes. Just ask HammockHanger how misrable I was on the A.T. in my pre hammock days.

roni (in Israel)

Hammock Hanger
12-20-2004, 00:42
That "young Israeli" must be me , and the hammock was never a total disaster. On the contrary - there wasn't a single night in the 500 odd nights Ive spent on trails that I wasn't happy I was carring the hammock. I was able to find somewhere to hang it on the p.c.t in all but a few days (in the southern dessert section) and on the c.d.t., again in evry night except one night in N.M. and two or three nights near the red desert in wyoming. I also used it in winter on my 9.5 months a.t. thruhike, when I was able to hammock in shelters, as the shelters were in winter bairly used and never full, and no one ever minded if I hang my hammock in them (as they could sleep under it). I was even able to sleep in my hammock through an arctic storm that hit me in virginia, where tempratures dropped below zero (farenheit). I just used two z-rest matresses under me (with 14 sections in total) and a 15-25 degree sleepping bag (and slept with all my cloths on). So my answer to the questions - can one use a HH in winter, and can one use a HH on the c.d.t. and p.c.t. is a definete yes. Just ask HammockHanger how misrable I was on the A.T. in my pre hammock days.

roni (in Israel)
I do remember a few of those pre-hammock days... uncomfortable shelters and oh the skeeters!!! :) Sue/HH

neo
12-27-2004, 04:23
i dont like hammock camping,i love hammock camping:sun neo

rpettit
12-28-2004, 21:32
Has anyone used the HH supershelter in 20F temps yet? Still looking for some 3rd party product evaluations.

Crash
12-29-2004, 10:58
i dont like hammock camping,i love hammock camping:sun neo

its great having the option of hammocking, tarping, or using the shelters. you have 3 options not just 2.