PDA

View Full Version : UL backpackers - what is your average weight?

Sassafras Lass
03-26-2010, 11:45
So . . . . I've been a bit sick these past few weeks - coughing, no energy - and my husband has been going for proper jaunts in the woods without me. One day he decided to load one of our cheaper packs with 4 gallons of water and walked for an hour or so. He's still complaining about being sore, and I thought, "Sheesh, 33 lbs isn't a whole lot." Well, that's my foot in my mouth, because this morning I picked up the pack to see how it felt . . . . and gosh, 33 lbs is a huge load! :(

Understandably, 4 gallons of water is not the same as a full pack which will sit nicer and not want to pull you backwards quite so much . . . . but 33 lbs! We guesstimated that we would carry around 30 lbs with food, but even at my healthiest and strongest that still seems like a daunting weight, day in and day out for nearly 6 months.

Sorry for being long-winded, but I guess my point is this: I don't want to set myself up for failure. I want to be reasonable, I want to be safe, and I want to not feel miserable every evening when we set up camp. I have just about a year to get myself ready mentally and physically.

Which leads me to this: I'm not lightweight crazy, but I certainly do take each ounce into consideration (as much as I can with our budget for our hike). So can you folks tell me how much you carry on average? With/without food is fine, whatever advice you have at this point I'm sure to appreciate :)

Thank you everyone!

Trooper
03-26-2010, 11:57
My base weight (everything, including pack, excluding food/water) is 15lbs +/- 2lbs depending on time of year and dressing for the weather.

I'll usually carry 2 liters (4lbs.) of water, and food weight depends on how long I'm out for.

SGT Rock
03-26-2010, 12:37
I'm not an ultralighter, but have done it in trips. My lightest ever pack weight for a trip was about 9 pounds with food and water. About 14 FSO,

My current Summertime weight for 5 days hiking is ~27.6 pounds or 33 FSO.
My current Spring/Fall weight for 5 days hiking is ~30.5 pounds or 36 FSO.
My current Winter weight for 5 days hiking is ~33.5 pounds or 39 FSO.

If I were you I wouldn't compare weights to weights though. You need to work on getting your pack and gear set to what is comfortable and works for you. Trail and error is a good place to sort that out. Posting packing lists on here and let people make suggestions can be helpful but should be done with a grain of salt since sometimes their suggestions are their own personal preferences and may not work out well for you.

Storm
03-26-2010, 12:38
I don't have all my gear together yet so I'm not sure what my pack weight will be.

To gain strength I bought a large and relatively cheap training pack. Every week or so I add a little more weight for my training walks. Last Saturday I did 15 miles with about 25 lbs. A few months ago this would have seemed extremely heavy. I think adding a large amount of weight at one time would be a problem. As long as you build up gradually it's amazing how your body will adapt. For an old fart like me it's probably the only way I can get into shape and avoid injury. You have a year to train,you'll be surprised at the gains you can make in that amount of time.:sun

SGT Rock
03-26-2010, 12:43
Good plan. I recommend training with about 5 pounds more than you plan to carry.

When I get ready to make major gear changes I usually create a packing list with weights to see how it will all work together. It's not uncommon for people to post what they plan to get as their gear here before they spend all the money collecting gear. I'd like to think we have helped people save some cash by not buying that thing they thought was cool before they found out otherwise.

Good luck.

Deadeye
03-26-2010, 13:12
Here's a really good start: the 18-pound, 3-day pack or 27-pound-7-day pack are real close in concept to what I carry.

http://thelightweightbackpacker.com/

Everyone's needs are a little different, but this is a pretty good list, with or without brand names, as a guide to the basic necessities.

For example, for clothes, I don't carry gloves, but I do carry an extra long-sleeve T. For shelter, I have a much lighter tent (2-pound TarpTent Squall), but a heavier pad, and more often than not I carry a hammock instead.

The gist of the sotry is if you can get the weight of your stuff under 15 pounds, you have room for 10+ pounds of food, fuel & water, without hitting the 30 pound mark.

butts0989
03-26-2010, 13:38
my 3 season base weight is just over 9 pounds, so with food and water for 5-6 days im never carrying much over 15 pounds. It was actually quite cheap to get to this point. Just dont follow what the outdoor tells you to do, think practically about what you REALLY need. heres a link to my gear list on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl-PYMyiL7w its a 2 part series. Ive cut down a bit of weight on my ground tarp by using the GG polycro cloth. The best way to go lighter is to simply watch other peoples gear lists.

Tenderheart
03-26-2010, 14:14
My base weight is 11 - 12 pounds, and this is with a 3.5 pound backpack. With food for 5 days or so and 2.5 liters of water, my pack weight would be in the mid 20's. It's not that my stuff is so ultra-light, it's that I don't have much stuff. For me, it's not only being light, but also not having a lot of items to keep track of. It's a good feeling to hike along and to know that you have only the equipment that you really need.

litefoot 2000

grayfox
03-26-2010, 17:04
Like others have said, start out your training hikes carrying a few liters of water and add more as you feel comfortable. You will be amazed at how soon you will adapt to more weight. Seems to me that no matter how light my pack is, it always feels heavy for about three days on the trail. I wish that was because I ate the food but I usually don't eat much during those first few days.

I remember, quite a while ago now, when I first started training with weight in my pack. I filled it with a couple of bags of flour and sugar that I found in the pantry. I thought at the time that this was a wonderful idea, until I got tired enough to head home and realized that I would have to carry all of these bags home. After that I used water. I got used to the sloshing sound and dumped it a few times when I got tired.

Have fun training, it is part of the journey. Like they say, the only way to get used to carrying a pack is to carry a pack. It is kind of a joke saying but the real thing that you have to get used to is how the weight changes your balance, so the saying has a lot of truth in it.

Mags
03-26-2010, 20:02
~165 lbs. Depends on how many burgers, beers and fries I had after a backpacking trip....
:)

Taking off my smart ass hat, if you are a traditional backpacker who wishes to lighten up, I have high praise for this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Lighten-Up-Complete-Ultralight-Backpacking/dp/0762737344/ref=pd_sim_b_5

Rather than telling you WHAT to do, it tells you HOW and WHY to go lightweight.

It gives a solid foundation in an easily read, understood and quick format.

garlic08
03-26-2010, 20:31
My AT pack weighed about 8 pounds, without food or water, by the time summer came along.

I feel for you. At Upper Goose Pond in MA there's a cabin staffed by a caretaker, and hikers pitch in with chores. I volunteered to fill water bottles at a spring accessed by canoe. I carried four one-gallon jugs at a time from the canoe up a short steep hill to the cabin. I was in the best hiking shape I've ever been in, and that winded me! Then, just like you, I realized that's the average AT pack weight. That moment really justified the effort I went through to lighten my load over the years. I wish you luck in your effort.

Deadeye
03-26-2010, 21:12
~165 lbs. Depends on how many burgers, beers and fries I had after a backpacking trip....
:)

Taking off my smart ass hat, if you are a traditional backpacker who wishes to lighten up, I have high praise for this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Lighten-Up-Complete-Ultralight-Backpacking/dp/0762737344/ref=pd_sim_b_5

Rather than telling you WHAT to do, it tells you HOW and WHY to go lightweight.

It gives a solid foundation in an easily read, understood and quick format.

yep, good book, fun read, no preaching

skinewmexico
03-27-2010, 02:35
Buy the "Lighten Up" DVD from Gossamer Gear. It's a little extreme, but it kind of helps you see a target in the middle of the weight range. And it's really entertaining.

garlic08
03-27-2010, 09:33
This guy has some good videos as well: http://www.lwgear.com/

Sassafras Lass
03-27-2010, 10:28
Thank you everyone : )

I'm a bit stuck at the moment because I'm in the process of removing this 25 lbs I put on (why, oh why, did I decide to eat fast food again?) and so I cannot buy my clothing and my pack because I'm not at the size I will be when we leave next March.

Here is what I've accumulated so far:

GoLite Venture 20 bag
33 oz.

Big Agnes Insulated Air Core pad
18 oz.

(will buy) TarpTent Double Rainbow
38 oz.

So right away I'm at 5 lbs, 9 oz. and I've only got 3 items! Granted, they're the big ones, so perhaps I'm freaking for no reason. I've no idea how much clothing weighs, and my husband and I are each going to carry our own little emergency kit, and I'm considering buying a down jacket/vest because my body doesn't regulate temperature terribly well and I'm terrified of freezing out there with no house to retreat too.

Yes, I guess I'm a bit of a weenie. I've grown a lot softer the older I've gotten. :D

I very much want to get into a training schedule (whenever this cough decides to leave me) but my work schedule is in sharp contrast with that. I leave the house at 9 a.m. and come home around 7:30 p.m., 5 days a week, and on Saturdays I'm gone from 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. I need at LEAST 2 hours in the morning for shower/breakfast/etc. due to living with inflexible in-laws, so . . . . . . yeah, I feel like I don't have time to even relax, much less do laundry, make dinner, and then schedule in a hike.

But I'll quit complaining now. Keep the suggestions coming, I very much appreciate them :)

garlic08
03-27-2010, 12:05
Great start with that gear! Do not buy the pack until you have everything else figured out, then get the lightest pack for your load. Don't be surprised if you don't get it right the first time. Hardly anyone does. It's always an evolution, personally tailored. Look around the trail and you seldom see any two people using exactly the same gear, even married couples.

The vest is a great idea for the typical AT NOBO spring start.

Throw in the pack and you'll have your "big four"--called that for a reason. Those four items are often heavier than everything else combined, especially for UL hikers. For example, I do not carry any extra hiking clothes, just insulation. I don't cook on the trail, so no stove, fuel, or pot. I don't carry a phone, music, book or camera. I don't carry a water filter or multi-tool. So besides warm clothing and raingear, personal hygiene and first aid, maps and compass, a spoon and a few water bottles, there's very little besides the "big four" in my pack. For me, much of UL hiking is not so much reducing the weight of the items, it's modifying your hiking style to leave stuff behind.

Your instinct is right about loosing extra body weight first. You wouldn't be the only overweight hiker on the AT, but you know you'll enjoy it much more without the extra load and with the extra physical fitness. Maybe get an orange vest and light, get up 1/2 hour earlier and go for a fast walk? Walk some stairs at work/walk at lunch? Can you bicycle to work? Sure it's hard, but I believe that kind of discipline is necessary for a thru-hike, by the way.

Speer Carrier
03-27-2010, 14:04
I pretty much agree with everything that has been said about cutting out the unnecessary stuff to keep the pack weight down, and I have done that. My full pack including 3 liters of water, and 5 days worth of food is about 28 pounds.

But in addition to only carrying what's necessary (I don't ever want to be that guy who has to "borrow" stuff from people), I have concentrated more lately on strength training.

I've got to the point now where 25-30 pounds on my back doesn't seem like much of anything.

Just my two cents. Consider building leg, shoulder, and back strength to make carrying your back that much easier, and don't rely so much on leaving stuff at home that you really wish you had with you.

weary
03-27-2010, 14:42
I've suddenly become an ultra-light convert. I was convinced against my judgment a month ago to have a heart pacemaker installed. So on a follow up visit with my cardiologist, I mentioned I was planning a four-day hike in Baxter Park in July.

His reply: "BTW way you can't carry a backpack any more." Hmmm. No one had mentioned that before the surgery. But I figure I can cheat a bit. If I keep the weight down, maybe the pacemaker nestled under my collar bone won't notice.

BTW, has anyone tried backpacking with one of the gadgets installed?

Weary

ChrisFol
03-27-2010, 15:10
My normal baseweight is around 11lb without food or water. I could easily knock a couple of pounds off by nixing some comforts like my MSR Ti mug, TP, and changing from a regular length to a short/torso length pad etc-- even though I could easily live without these items and others, I have no desire to do so for general 3-4 day backpacking. If I was thru-hiking the CT or CDT again then I wouldn't carry the additional weight.

The point that I am trying to make is that UL backpackers substitute weight for experience. My "emergency kit" consists of nothing more than a couple of band-aides, tylenol, duct-tape and a few other bits and pieces-- it weighs 1.3oz total. I have seen novice backpackers FAK/EMK coming in at around 8oz with full field surgery kits :eek:. The same could be said for almost every bit of kit from GPS verses map and compass to too much clothing for a summer overnight trip.

I second the advise of purchasing the pack last. The pack should fit you and your gear and not the other way around. The first item you should purchase is a scale that give you the nearest ounce or better-- this way you know what you are putting in your pack and you can determine if the weight is worth its use and then make a spreadsheet of your gear.

Finally, since costs is an issue-- the cheapest way to bring your pack weight down is to leave stuff at home. Throwing stuff out costs $0.

Wise Old Owl
03-27-2010, 15:23
I will put this out there, carry less water, keep gatorade and/or potassium pill each morning. if you replace the electrolites in the morning when cameling up, less need for water. I did Pinnacle & Pulpit last week 8.5 miles with a 1200 ft climb with a quart of water, for me and the dogs. On the way back down in the last two miles we drank from a spring.

oh and if you do a 90mg of potassium, use a pill cutter or knife, 45 mg per day appears to be plenty.

Mags
03-27-2010, 18:37
As usual, Garlic is quite correct.

I'll just encourage you to get in shape...

The hiking will be more enjoyable and you'll have less health problems in the long run! :)

One way to get in shape is to get in as many hikes and backpacks as you can between now and next March.
Not only will it help to get you in shape, but it is fun and will help you iron out the kinks in your gear kit and hiking style BEFORE you start on a 5-7 month hike.

If you are in shape, have your kit and style dialed-in and have some prior backpacking experience, I think you will find the typical rough shake down period that many AT hikers have will be a bit smoother. They'll be taking lots of zeroes in town...you'll be having fun in the woods! :)

Good luck..and have a blast!

Franco
03-27-2010, 20:40
I have to question the wisdom of "cameling up".
No doubts it "works" for some but I cannot see the point.
And this is why.
If , say, after breakfast I drink another 2 quarts of water so that I don't carry it in my water bottle, I end up carrying exactly the same weight in my stomach.
Inevitably within the first hour or so I will need to pee and most if not all of that will have left me. So at this point I am lighter but I have no spare water.
On the other hand, if I do have that water in a container, I can choose when and how much I will drink.
To me the latter is more "comfortable".
But this is just me...
Franco

mudhead
03-28-2010, 11:01
I've suddenly become an ultra-light convert. I was convinced against my judgment a month ago to have a heart pacemaker installed. So on a follow up visit with my cardiologist, I mentioned I was planning a four-day hike in Baxter Park in July.

[QUOTE]His reply: "BTW way you can't carry a backpack any more." Hmmm. No one had mentioned that before the surgery. But I figure I can cheat a bit. If I keep the weight down, maybe the pacemaker nestled under my collar bone won't notice.

Would suk to find out the hard way.

You should go look at a Mountainsmith lumbar pack with the suspenders if they still make them. Surprising amount of room.

Wheeler
03-28-2010, 12:14
And this is why.
If , say, after breakfast I drink another 2 quarts of water so that I don't carry it in my water bottle, I end up carrying exactly the same weight in my stomach.
Inevitably within the first hour or so I will need to pee and most if not all of that will have left me. So at this point I am lighter but I have no spare water.
On the other hand, if I do have that water in a container, I can choose when and how much I will drink.
But this is just me...
Franco

It's a lot tougher for the water to work it's magic on your body when it isn't actually in your body. I guess thats why camels actually drink it and don't carry it in nalgenes.

Kerosene
03-28-2010, 12:36
Carrying water in your stomach instead of on your back (assuming that it's not so much water that you feel bloated) is also closer to your center of gravity. Of course, we're only talking about 3-4 cups of water. Most people are chronically under-hydrated, and even moreso if they're exerting themselves for hours on end.

Personally, I still carry more water than I usually need unless I'm absolutely positive about the next water source. You tend to get a little conservative once you've run out of water for a few hours on a warm humid day.

Tilly
03-28-2010, 12:57
Are you hiking next spring with your husband? The effects of splitting up the gear are tremendous. I had to carry 30# only once, when we were out for an 8 day stint and I was still carrying winter gear. Other than that, by summer I probably was carrying about 22-23# out of town, and I'm not really the lightest packer by any means.

Tilly
03-28-2010, 13:01
I've always read that the best way to hydrate is to sip water slowly and continuously throughout the day instead of gulping down a quart or two at one time every few hours. Or maybe different people's systems act differently. I don't know if I'd compare people to camels because...we're not camels...mammal physiology can vary and I don't know if what is good for a camel is good for a person. Or is it? Does anyone know?

mtnkngxt
03-28-2010, 13:27
Getting it right is not a one time thing, as has been said before.

When I started out I was carrying about 45lbs and dieing on the trail. Not only from the weight, but from the discomfort of alot of my cheap gear. Leaking tent, stove flamed out, Poncho kept tearing, and the list goes on.

It was after a day of late October hiking in the rain in Mount Rogers, with failing rain gear, and sweating through my cotton clothes that I got hypothermia and had to have my hiking partner set up my tent for me. I was in bad shape, and was up most of the night when the condensation from my breathing started filling my tent with water and soaked my bag.

I actually swore off hiking after that night, and threw most of my gear away.

About a month later I decided it was not hiking that I despised, but hiking unprepared and with unproven equipment.

I was not worried about price or name brand when I started to reoutfit myself. I was concerned with the weight and the reputation of the gear.

Going light weight continues to be a eternal system of upgrades atleast in my case.

I have less than 4 original pieces of gear from that fateful night on Mount Rogers. All that remains:

Thermarest Prolite3
Petzl Tikka Plus
Trusty Sunto Compass.

That year and before my Pinhoti hike in 09 I spent thousands of dollars on gear, keeping what worked and selling, trading, or giving away the rest.

I've been through about 8 different Ti Pots of which I still have about 5

Tents, Tarps, TarpTents, Hammocks

Sleeping Bags, Top Quilts, Bottom Quilts, Bivys

I've gone through Osprey, Granite Gear, and finally settled on and bought most of the ULA pack line.

With all that said, know that I am a fanatic. I live for trail life, culture, friendship, and the sheer enjoyment of being on the AT. This is my escape from work, school, and city life. This is my motorcycle or sports car.

Like a certain member always says, it is only walking, atleast for the most part. People have walked the trail with 80lb packs. Tipi Walter comes to mind. People also have done it with 15lb total packs.

There is no right or wrong answer when it comes to weight. Hiking is just walking with some hills and water crossings and rock scrambles thrown in to make it interesting. Before taking weight into account. Think about Comfort, Function, and the Ratio of Weight to Cost. It is easy to make up lost ounces in less expensive items, than it is in regards to lighter big 4 items.

This has been a very expensive venture for myself. I have easily over 10k in gear, but I also get out and hike all the time, and I am always trying out new gear combinations and hiking methods. I've done big AT section hikes during the winter and summer vacations, I've done the Pinhoti, I've hiked most of the trails in the smokeys, and numerous local trails.

I take gear addiction/Ultralight addiction as being the harley davidson for hikers. People spend outrageous amounts of money on their hobbies or passions, because it is what they love.

If hiking the AT is going to be one grand adventure and then you don't plan on hiking alot afterwards, then don't spend a fortune on gear. Go with the best ratio of price to weight to function.

But if you plan on living the hiker lifestyle, then go ahead and think about getting some lighter gear, and maybe spending a little more upfront instead of trading in gear as you go.

People can easily be pretty down when they get to Mountain Crossings, and spend alot of cash at the outfitters to drop pack weight.

There is nothing wrong with a 80lb pack or a 15lb pack as long as you can support your own hike, and enjoy it.

If you need any help or advice feel free to send me a PM.

Skidsteer
03-28-2010, 17:29
We guesstimated that we would carry around 30 lbs with food, but even at my healthiest and strongest that still seems like a daunting weight, day in and day out for nearly 6 months.

You won't be carrying it day in and day out. You may start with 30 lbs but at the end of five days it'll be more like 19 or 20 lbs because you'll be eating food, burning stove fuel, etc. The consumables tend to get consumed.

I hadn't weighed my pack in a while but since I'm heading out tomorrow for five days and saw your post, I decided to put it on the scale. 28 lbs with lots of luxuries. Food is by far the heaviest category but I like to eat. Plenty of Winter clothes. I've got over a pound of "ground softener" in a soda bottle :D, heck I'm even bringing a hammock to lay around in during breaks and at camp.

Once you get your system nailed it's no big deal. Your first day out might feel heavy, but it doesn't last long.

Franco
03-28-2010, 17:37
Tilly
Since you asked...
Camels
Their ability to withstand long periods without water is due to a series of physiological adaptations. Their red blood cells (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_blood_cell) have an oval shape, unlike those of other mammals (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammals), which are circular. This is to facilitate their flow in a dehydrated (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dehydration) state. These cells are also more stable[7] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camel#cite_note-6) in order to withstand high osmotic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osmosis) variation without rupturing when drinking large amounts of water (100 litres (22 imp gal; 26 US gal) to 150 litres (33 imp gal; 40 US gal) in one drink).[8] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camel#cite_note-7) Oval red corpuscles are not found in any other mammal, but are present in reptiles, birds, and fish.[9] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camel#cite_note-8)
From Wiki.
Franco

Franco
03-28-2010, 17:43
and
Marathon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marathon) runners (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running) are susceptible to water intoxication if they drink too much while running. This is caused when sodium levels drop below 135 mmol/L when athletes consume large amounts of fluid. This has been noted to be the result of the encouragement of excessive fluid replacement by various guidelines. This has largely been identified in marathon runners as a dilutional hyponatremia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyponatremia). Medical personnel at marathon events are trained to suspect water intoxication immediately when runners collapse or show signs of confusion.

JAK
03-28-2010, 17:48
Well said Franco.

Rather than loading up on water I am more apt to load up on oats, and drink water when while hiking as I get thirsty. I've never been a fan of the drink even if not thirsty rule.

Franco
03-28-2010, 17:54
and
Don't drink all of the water you need per day all at once.
Divide the amount you need and drink several glasses of water throughout the day.
This is especially important if you engage in lots of heavy exercise

http://nutrition.about.com/library/blwatercalculator.htm (http://nutrition.about.com/library/blwatercalculator.htm)
Franco

SGT Rock
03-28-2010, 17:59
You won't be carrying it day in and day out. You may start with 30 lbs but at the end of five days it'll be more like 19 or 20 lbs because you'll be eating food, burning stove fuel, etc. The consumables tend to get consumed.

I hadn't weighed my pack in a while but since I'm heading out tomorrow for five days and saw your post, I decided to put it on the scale. 28 lbs with lots of luxuries. Food is by far the heaviest category but I like to eat. Plenty of Winter clothes. I've got over a pound of "ground softener" in a soda bottle :D, heck I'm even bringing a hammock to lay around in during breaks and at camp.

Once you get your system nailed it's no big deal. Your first day out might feel heavy, but it doesn't last long.

Good point, and why it is a good idea to know base weight. So say I'm going out tomorrow to start thru-hiking and start with 5 days of food. My max pack weight at the start is 30.2 pounds. But my base for gear is 14.4 pounds. So if you figure that 16.2 pounds of my pack weight is consumables, well half of that is 8.1 pounds. So while I am hiking my average pack weight is somewhere around ~22.5 pounds. Add my carried stuff and my average FSO is ~28 pounds.

Chance09
03-28-2010, 18:57
I try to be UL (or just lightweight at least), because of the effects on my body. Hiking 2178.3 miles with 15 lbs sounds better in the long run than doing it with 30+. It's a lot less impact and wear and tear on your body over the long run.

That said weight is all relevant. Using the pack i started my hike with 33 lbs would have been a burden to carry and incredibly uncomfortable. I switched to a different pack, and a lighter one at that, and even with 33 lbs it fits me like a glove and as long as it's packed properly almost feels like it isn't even there.

Tilly
03-28-2010, 19:13
Tilly
Since you asked...
Camels
Their ability to withstand long periods without water is due to a series of physiological adaptations. Their red blood cells (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_blood_cell) have an oval shape, unlike those of other mammals (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammals), which are circular. This is to facilitate their flow in a dehydrated (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dehydration) state. These cells are also more stable[7] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camel#cite_note-6) in order to withstand high osmotic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osmosis) variation without rupturing when drinking large amounts of water (100 litres (22 imp gal; 26 US gal) to 150 litres (33 imp gal; 40 US gal) in one drink).[8] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camel#cite_note-7) Oval red corpuscles are not found in any other mammal, but are present in reptiles, birds, and fish.[9] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camel#cite_note-8)
From Wiki.
Franco

Thanks, Franco! I guess 'cameling up' doesn't really work for people so great after all. That's what I thought.

bigcranky
03-28-2010, 19:57
We guesstimated that we would carry around 30 lbs with food, but even at my healthiest and strongest that still seems like a daunting weight, day in and day out for nearly 6 months.

If you show up at Springer with 30 pound packs, you'll be 15-30 pounds lighter than most of the beginning thru-hikers that I've met in Georgia.

Skidsteer is right, your pack weight will vary over the course of each day, and drop as you eat your food.

Erin
03-28-2010, 20:23
One of many great tips I have received on this site is to go more light weight. On our AT section, in 2007, before I found this site, I carried way too much and that was with experience. I suffered. Then the same year, I did the Grand Canyon and had to go lighter since I was eight weeks out from major abdominal surgery. I did it.
this site helped me do it. At 21 lbs, including pack and a gallon (eight pounds) of water. What a difference it made and I fet fantastic. I will still have to modify my gear over time, but I am sold on it. I am so impressed by those who go so light without forking over a ton of money and I don't want to buy all new gear. Great links and thanks. I am still working on it. I use the postal meter at work to weigh stuff.

Tinker
03-28-2010, 22:32
And this is why.
But this is just me...
Franco

No, it's me, too.
I tried that "Cameling up" stuff, and it was only worth it when I was already dehydrated.
Peeing every 5 minutes for an hour isn't a good way to make time on the trail.

Tinker
03-28-2010, 22:40
If you show up at Springer with 30 pound packs, you'll be 15-30 pounds lighter than most of the beginning thru-hikers that I've met in Georgia.

Skidsteer is right, your pack weight will vary over the course of each day, and drop as you eat your food.

I started my Georgia section hike with 36 lbs. in March 2006 with 6 days worth of food, a winter tent, and a 2.5 lb. 15 degree bag. My ul pack was a tad small so I had to use my old 5.5 lb. Gregory Shasta to get the volume I needed.
I survived.
I don't weigh my gear for each trip anymore. I know approx. what it weighs, the weather conditions I'm likely to encounter, and how much food I need per day, so I throw it in and go. No more gram counting. Less pressure to "measure up" (or down, when you're counting grams).
It's a learning curve, and the ul thing, like anything else, can become a fun "club" or an elitist cult.

Saffirre8
03-29-2010, 12:44
Do you all have super light stuff or what cause i went as light as i could and my pack was 38 lbs when i weighted it for my trip this weekend. I do carry a 3L Camelbak.
Please what am i doing wrong, i even took everything out and redid my pack. What am i doing wrong. i dont have 500 to spend on a 1 lb tent or 1 lb sleepin bag. doing the best i can with ultra light but not ultra light enough i guess.
i wish i could find some help....

Doctari
03-29-2010, 13:24
4 gallons of water is actually 33.5 Lbs :p I'm sure it was that "extra" 1/2 pound that made a difference :rolleyes:
PLUS the weight of the pack, mine is 21 OZ.

My base weight, no food / water is 16 Lbs (counting the pack) my base fso is 23 Lbs mostly because: I hike in (48 oz) boots, wear a (15 oz) kilt & use 2 (21 oz) trekking poles. Due to the design of the pack I chose, I can not carry any more than 30 Lbs. That still allows me to carry 1/2 gallon water & 6 days food at 1.5 Lbs / Day, without overloading my pack.

Sassafras Lass
03-29-2010, 15:34
Skidsteer, thank you for pointing out my inadequate math :p (there's a reason I never passed algebra!) It actually has not occured to me that of course I wouldn't have the same amount of weight every single day.

mtkngxt, thank you for sharing your story!

And since we're discussing camels, which variety is your favorite? Bactrian or dromedary?

This is terrific; I truly appreciate everyone's advice! I think I'll just chill the heck out, focus on gaining strength, and not worry about it until I get my foot on that approach trail next March. :)

ChrisFol
03-29-2010, 15:48
Do you all have super light stuff or what cause i went as light as i could and my pack was 38 lbs when i weighted it for my trip this weekend. I do carry a 3L Camelbak.
Please what am i doing wrong, i even took everything out and redid my pack. What am i doing wrong. i dont have 500 to spend on a 1 lb tent or 1 lb sleepin bag. doing the best i can with ultra light but not ultra light enough i guess.

Feel free to start a new thread with your gear list and weights of the items; and I am sure that some of us could certainly point out some issues.

Johnny Thunder
03-29-2010, 16:12
Not sure if it's been said yet...but you should get in the habit of spending real quality time planning your food needs BEFORE you get to town. (like the night before...after dinner. Not the day you're walking into town starved and thinking about burgers)

You can spend hundreds of dollars to drop your base weight by a pound...but then spending a dollar the wrong way can do double the damage every time you're in town. And I'm not talking about the heavy luxury foods (the "strap-ons").

Simply put, it's backwards to spend $400 on a 2 pound down bag but sill walk into every town with a half-full jar of peanut butter (and assorted other things you haven't eaten).

Franco
03-29-2010, 17:44
Saffire8
Yes , post a list of your stuff on a new thread.
Not everything light is expensive , so maybe someone can offer some help there.
Also all too often people duplicate or simply take extra gear that gets never used.
Surgical grade first aid boxes comes to mind...
Franco

Franco
03-29-2010, 17:48
Forgot.
If it isn't a problem, post your size too. There are for example some pretty cheap tents that work well for normal folk (up to 5'7" because that is my size) but are too short for the tall fellows.
Franco

garlic08
03-29-2010, 17:50
Do you all have super light stuff or what....

Yes, we do. This forum is called the "Ultra-Light Hikers Forum" for a reason.

Not sure if it's been said yet...but you should get in the habit of spending real quality time planning your food needs BEFORE you get to town. (like the night before...after dinner. Not the day you're walking into town starved and thinking about burgers)

You can spend hundreds of dollars to drop your base weight by a pound...but then spending a dollar the wrong way can do double the damage every time you're in town. And I'm not talking about the heavy luxury foods (the "strap-ons").

Simply put, it's backwards to spend $400 on a 2 pound down bag but sill walk into every town with a half-full jar of peanut butter (and assorted other things you haven't eaten).

Nicely said! It took me a long time to get away from carrying too much food. Same goes for carrying water.

Mags
03-30-2010, 00:27

Read this:

http://www.amazon.com/Lighten-Up-Complete-Ultralight-Backpacking/dp/0762737344/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

And this:

Quality Gear on the Cheap: If you read those glossy outdoor magazines, you'd think you need a $300 pack, a $300 shell and a $300 fleece. You do not need expensive gear to enjoy backpacking. Often the brand name gear, besides being expensive, is heavy, bulky and overkill for what is supposed to be for the simple joy of walking.

Though written for the Appalachian Trail, the general concepts apply for quality gear on the cheap:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=206678#post206678

Some additional information I will add is that you should invest in a decent sleeping bag. The Campmor down bag is rated to 20F and is known as a good budget bag.
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40065
(http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40065)
Need long underwear, hats, gloves, socks, etc? Check out Warm Stuff Distributing (aka The Underwear Guys) (http://www.theunderwearguys.com/) . Run, in part, by the well-know thru-hiker Fiddlehead, it features the basics for very reasonable prices. It is mainly surplus, seconds and irregulars. I find this type of clothing is not functionally different from the Patagucci clothing, is sometimes lighter and it is always less expensive!

If you are looking for a light, compressible and warm jacket check out an m-65 army liner jacket
(mentioned in the above article, but deserves to be emphasized)

If you don't mind a bit of sewing, you can make a Montbell Thermawrap clone for less than $20 with the above liner jacket. A men's large comes in at 12oz!

Considering a Montbell Thermawrap is $150 and weights 10oz, the cheap way is nice for those on a budget on who need something warm, light and cheap!

Check it out: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41034

For high altitude/desert hiking I suggest a long sleeve synthetic shirt for the princely sum of $4 from many thrift stores. (Old uniform shirts, acrylic shirts from Blair, rayon blends, heck,,.even the 65/35 blends are fine!) I've used this type of shirt for literally several thousand miles of backpacking.

Good luck!

snaplok
03-30-2010, 00:50

The first thing I did was, what a few others did, make an excel sheet and weighed each item. Then I took out wasn't needed, found lighter and cheap alternatives, and lastly saved up for some of the big purchases. I was able to get my pack weight down to under 14lbs, minus food, fuel, and water, by using the excel sheet.

There are other little things like using small dropper bottles for liquids like soap and alcohol, cutting all tags, shortening straps, cutting off handles of tooth brushes, etc. but I didn't get too crazy. As long as you are comfortable and don't make the mistake of trading safety for ultralight you'll see what you can cut from your gear to go lighter and lighter each trip. If you want I can send you the excel sheet I use though I'm sure there should be something like that on the web already.

Egads
03-30-2010, 06:16
This post isn't for thru hikers or for long hikes

Get yourself a small UL pack like this one http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/Murmur.html

It limits you from packing anything you don't really need I can pack a shelter, bedding, water, rain gear, insulation, food for an overnight or weekend hike. I can get the entire load down to about 8 lbs

tammons
03-30-2010, 11:16
As above, buy a good digital scale, create a spreadsheet, and plan for a 12# 3 season base weight. 6# big 4, 6# for your other gear. Add 5 days of food and 2L of H2O and you end up at 26# total.

When you buy gear don't buy anything that does not fit into the 6+6 goal.

It does not have to be that expensive, but you can blow some big $ if you want to.

2# tent like a lightheart, or one ot the tarptents, or a silnylon tarp with a bug bivy or bug tent.
2# bag. Campmor 20dF down bag is $120 and 2#4. A golite ultra 20 (20 oz) is even lighter/better.
24 oz backpack like a GG Miraposa.
Prolite 3 short or the like.

You can do a 6# with a hammock too its just a bit more specialized.
Even if you cant make that 7# with a Hammock still puts you at 27# total.

The hard part os getting everything else in 6#. That takes a lot of planning and cutting back especailly on isulated layers and clothing.

Ladytrekker
03-30-2010, 12:22
This past weekend I added up all my weights on a postal scale it came to 26 lbs. Got to Publix weighed it and it was 39lbs cannot figure what I am doing wrong. Went hiking with the 39 lbs and hiked 30 miles in about 70 hours. I am going into the light I will have 10+ lbs off that pack by my section on the AT in May. I cannot believe I carried that much. Not going to do it again. But it was good training I know that I am tough and can do it.

I have an Osprey Ariel 65 (4/14) going to buy a new pack seriously considering a ULA Conduit and a Golite any recommendations.

Sour
03-30-2010, 13:18
As a section hiker (10-12 days) Here's my simple pointers for getting weight down. Weigh everything and plan extensively, including menus and food drops.
I use an excel spreadsheet to keep track of base weight (13 1/4 lbs) and food weight as I do food planning. Last year, my heaviest food bag was just over 6 lbs, I limit my carry to ~ 2 liters of water. Total carry is 23.2 lbs. This includes my trekking poles!

I use a tarp tent for shelter (22 oz, a REI 40 deg bag (around 17 oz). Dont carry anything that you don't pull out of your ruck sack every night (except 1st aid kit) Don't carry alot of extra clothes - they all smell the same after a day or two.

Sour

Wolf - 23000
04-04-2010, 01:26
My pack weight on the AT is between 11-12 pounds including 5 days/water.

33 pounds can feel extremely heavy depending on several factors the first being what type of pack you are using. Generally the lighter weight backs will be more uncomfortable with a heavier load. Also how offen you adjust the pack straps can make a huge different. If you just leave your pack sit at one location on your shoulders, all that weight rest on one location. The key is to adjust your pack through out the day so you can spread out your weight.

Hopes this helps.

Wolf

Quoddy
04-04-2010, 09:20
Depending upon where and when I'm sectioning, I add items to my 4 pound base. Usually I end up with a realistic base base between 5 and 6 pounds. At the start, I carry an average 40oz of water, once again depending on conditions and the availability of water. I try to resupply with food/fuel every 4 days. Beginning inclusive weights for a 4 day trek are usually under 14 pounds and decrease over the span.

garlic08
04-04-2010, 10:01
Depending upon where and when I'm sectioning, I add items to my 4 pound base. Usually I end up with a realistic base base between 5 and 6 pounds. At the start, I carry an average 40oz of water, once again depending on conditions and the availability of water. I try to resupply with food/fuel every 4 days. Beginning inclusive weights for a 4 day trek are usually under 14 pounds and decrease over the span.

That's an amazingly light load. I have a question, though--why start with so much water? 40 oz is about half your base weight. If, say, you knew there was a good piped spring within five or six miles, and you just drank your fill at the trailhead or in town, would you start with any water at all? I know you said it depends on conditions, but I'm wondering if you ever start with no water at all?

I ask because I've just started doing that. In the last few years, as my pack has gotten in the sub-10 pound range, and I've done some desert hiking, I really concentrate on water management. A one-liter bottle of water, at one kilo or 2.2 pounds, is by far the heaviest thing in my pack, including the pack. So I go to great lengths to not carry it, including maybe even going just a little bit thirsty between water sources. (There are a couple of stretches on the Arizona Trail where water sources are 40 miles apart, and it's hard to hike that without going a little thirsty.)

When I hiked the AT, I was amazed at how much water most hikers carry when there's abundant water. I met one hiker who made a habit of starting every single day with three liters, even when your feet got wet all day from walking in pristine mountain streams.

Tilly
04-04-2010, 11:12
If, say, you knew there was a good piped spring within five or six miles, and you just drank your fill at the trailhead or in town, would you start with any water at all? I know you said it depends on conditions, but I'm wondering if you ever start with no water at all?

When I hiked the AT, I was amazed at how much water most hikers carry when there's abundant water. I met one hiker who made a habit of starting every single day with three liters, even when your feet got wet all day from walking in pristine mountain streams.

Just thinking about walking 5 or 6 miles without water is making me thirsty! I usually sip water, I don't know, every 10 or 15 minutes, more if it's hot or if I'm climbing. I am not a fast hiker, max speed is about 2 mph, so 3 hours without water would be pretty miserable for me. Even an hour without it would be miserable.

I am an AT hiker that would start with about 2 liters every morning. Mostly it had to with with the water source. If it was a spring, I would carry alot because I wouldn't have to treat. If it was a stream, I treated everything the night before and wouldn't want to deal with more treatment at least until lunch, so I would still carry 2 liters. The only exceptions were when I would be camped a few miles out of town, and I would just be hiking downhill to town in an hour or two. Then I would just carry 1 liter.

Maybe individual physiology differs, or maybe you can train yourself to go longer periods without water. I really don't mind water weight. I'd rather have it than not.

Quoddy
04-05-2010, 19:38
That's an amazingly light load. I have a question, though--why start with so much water? 40 oz is about half your base weight.

I've found that 32 to 40oz of water allows me to drink 8 to 10oz on each five minute hourly stop I make. That average amount allows for 5 hours of hiking, or halfway, before the needed next fill-up on my usual 10 hour hiking day.

Having suffered from dehydration twice, I'll never let it happen a third time.

stranger
04-08-2010, 01:52
I don't consider myself an "ultralighter" but find however my total pack weight including food and water is usually around 22-25lbs for 3 season use.

ike1985
04-08-2010, 16:03
Right now im looking at 19lbs w/o food and water. I have a 2.5lb aarn featherlite freedom pack, hammock, tarp, uq, tq, gps, camera, etc. That is my summer setup. Winter w/o food and water: 24lbs.

ike1985
04-08-2010, 16:04
@Quoddy

Can you elaborate on what you bring, as far as pack, gear, etc?

sbhikes
04-09-2010, 20:22
On my PCT hike my pack was about 15 pounds. Now for weekend trips in my local area it's about 10. The difference being less guidebooks, journals, books to read, odd-and-ends, town clothes, rain gear (because it doesn't rain enough here, you can trust the weather report.)

The best way to get help is to go to Backpacking Light and read people's gear lists. Read the gear list threads where people give feedback on their gear lists. The most common mistake I see people make is to carry extra clothing. You don't need to carry any more clothes than you can wear all at once. If you have a spare shirt, spare pants, shorts just riding around in your pack doing nothing, you have too much. I did a 3 day section hike with a woman who I swear brought half her closet. She had enough outfits to wear something new every day for a week. No wonder she struggled.

I too have been working on the water management issue. Not carrying so much water. If I'm going to be hiking along a creek most of the day, I shouldn't have to carry any water. I still do, though, because it's a pain in the butt to stop and treat it when all I want is about 20 ounces to drink real quick.

JohnnyMuir
04-10-2010, 02:44
I'm looking at about 6.5-7 for my CT hike this summer. Its been a couple years, I was at about twice that for AT hikes in high school so I'm definitely going to do a couple overnights to make sure I'm comfortable at such a low level but I think I've got everything figured out. I'm making most of my gear, so that's really helping. With a 10 oz pack and a 4 oz shelter, the rest comes easy!

garlic08
04-10-2010, 08:58
...I'm making most of my gear, so that's really helping. With a 10 oz pack and a 4 oz shelter, the rest comes easy!

Good for you. Many successful AT hikers come out West and lighten their loads, and not all of us spend lots of money doing it. You are probably further proof that going light does not require lots of cash. In its purest form, light gear is simple and cheap, and it's easy to make (except for that eider down, of course).

Welcome to Whiteblaze. Have a great hike on the CT.

sbhikes
04-10-2010, 10:28
I made some of my gear. My tent and quilt were the most expensive things. The next most expensive were my two jackets. Everything else was pretty cheap. My clothing was either old stuff I've had for years or stuff I bought at the thrift store. I made some insulating things out of an old fleece sweater from the thrift store and they turned out to be really useful and light. My pack was only $80 new. I used a few tiny containers that once held other things like medicine for my pet bird or visine. I refill my little travel-sized toothpaste over and over. I even refill a sample-sized foil pouch of anti-biotic ointment. I never bought any stuff sacks (that's another place people waste a lot of weight). I just used ones that other things came in. I only had one stuff sack anyway, which held all my hygiene items. Otherwise I used trash compactor bags. Containers for drinking once held Gatorade or Naked Juice. I felt like the queen of trash, the dumpster-diver of backpacking. Going light can be way cheaper than going heavy because you need less gear overall and much of it can best be found by scavenging.

1azarus
04-18-2010, 14:52
well, just weighed my pack for an upcoming four day hike in the SNP. I get to cheat a bit because of the waysides, but with a pound and a half of food, no stove, and two empty gatorade bottles my pack weighs ten pounds. that also includes a hammock and tarp, by the way... what's that expression? i'm a happy camper...

MedicineMan
04-18-2010, 23:39
I've never asked for mine to be critiqued, would you all mind? If not here it is:
House
3sYeti 11.8oz
3sMamba 20.6 oz
Warbonnet Tarp 11.0 oz
Blackbird 1.7 Single 25 oz
stakes 3 oz
71.4 oz

Kitchen MLD CC Ti 5oz
cozy/bic 2.0 oz
plate/spoon .75 oz
8.25 oz
Rain eV Packa 17oz
MLD chaps 1.4 oz
Bucket hat 2.0 oz
mitts 2.0 oz
22.4 oz
CampClothes
SW tights 5 oz
BPL merino hoodie 6 oz
MB vest 4.0 oz
WM Flash 10 oz
25 oz
Electronics
Droid/extended batter 7.0 oz
Fujifilm 4.2 oz
11.2 oz
First Aid 2oz
Repair 2oz
Glasses/Meds 3oz
7 oz

Pack
Mariposa Plus for grand total of 168 oz or 10.51 pound
or Osprey Eos 34 180.25 oz or 11.26 pounds

JohnnyMuir
04-19-2010, 00:55
MM, I'm not familiar with hammockpacking, so I have no idea where weight could be cut in that setup but it's clearly a huge percentage of your overall weight. Myself, I use a Zpacks Hexamid (5 oz w/stakes), a plastic groundsheet (1 oz) and a ray-way quilt (25 oz) or, if I have the time and money to make it, a cuben/down quilt (13 oz). Grand total of 31 or 19 oz depending. I know I won't convert you to ground sleeping, but it is much lighter.

Other than that, the only things I can see are your massively heavy eVent Packa (a Marmot Mica is half the weight), and the vest and flash jacket. For Summer in TN, you could probably leave the Flash at home.

MedicineMan
04-19-2010, 01:42
thanks JohnnyMuir....your right about the Packa---its a cult thing that is def. in my head! I hear ya too on the Flash but my excuse is that Roan Mountain is literally my backyard and my playground and I'm the coldest sleeper I've ever met--I wear smartwool tights here in the hospital all year long! but that is rationalizing I know and something Garlic mentioned rings loudly--something about you pack for your fears! So true.
I will say this though, I'm really curious about the no cook method--why not? But I do look forward to that hot cup of tea at night, it's like a little reward I look forward to. That is something I will try this summer on a 3 or 4 day event....I've got a 24 day event coming up and this time I'll stick to what I know...
Thanks again.

ChrisFol
04-19-2010, 02:52
MDM,

No experience with hammocks, so I cannot say were to cut the weight and your list is not very clear.

-Nix plate, eat out of your pot.
-Do you need the cozy?
-Rain jacket is heavy-- save half the weight with a precip.
-Is there a need for two down middle-layers? MB Vest and WM Flash. Nix one.
-Nix the phone and battery
-What is in the repair kit? Nix, ductape and krazy glue solves 99.9% of repairs.

-I don't see a bag or pad listed?
-No sunscreen?
-No Deet?
-Fuel Bottle?
-Hydration bottle?
-Filter?
-Purification?
-Trekking poles?
-Warm Hat?
-Bear rope?
-Bear bag?
-Headlight?
-Lip balm?
-Matches?
-Sanitizer/TP/Soap?

MedicineMan
04-19-2010, 03:10
Good eye ChrisFol
Pad or bag replaced by Yeti(underquilt) and Mamba(topquilt) for hammock use
2x 1 quart mtn. dew bottles with a camelbak hose in one.
Warm hat=hood on the merino hoodie and the hood on the Flash and hood on Packa.
Fuel bottle=I count that with food since it goes up and down and up and down. My hiking stile is bar for breakfast,bar for lunch, snack all day, cook one hot meal/tea at night so one ounce r-oh per day.....I usually will carry 2 x 2ouce fuel bottle on 3-4 day hike.

What I forgot in my list but in the pack:
I carry visine bottle of chlorox for super suspect water (have never filtered/treated springs on the AT),
visine bottle of bonners soap,prepackaged roll of TP (need to vaccuum pack those though)....never use lip balm, have never used a bear bag on the AT, did in yellowstone and glacier duh :)

J-Rod
04-25-2010, 22:26
my weight for the summer with 3 days of food is 11lbs

for the winter i come in at 15lbs ....
that also could change depends on what i bring ...

Wolf - 23000
04-26-2010, 02:48
On my PCT hike my pack was about 15 pounds. Now for weekend trips in my local area it's about 10. The difference being less guidebooks, journals, books to read, odd-and-ends, town clothes, rain gear (because it doesn't rain enough here, you can trust the weather report.)

The best way to get help is to go to Backpacking Light and read people's gear lists. Read the gear list threads where people give feedback on their gear lists. The most common mistake I see people make is to carry extra clothing. You don't need to carry any more clothes than you can wear all at once. If you have a spare shirt, spare pants, shorts just riding around in your pack doing nothing, you have too much. I did a 3 day section hike with a woman who I swear brought half her closet. She had enough outfits to wear something new every day for a week. No wonder she struggled.

I too have been working on the water management issue. Not carrying so much water. If I'm going to be hiking along a creek most of the day, I shouldn't have to carry any water. I still do, though, because it's a pain in the butt to stop and treat it when all I want is about 20 ounces to drink real quick.

sbhiker,

I'm going to disagree with you sense I've never found gear list were any benefit at all and sometimes can even cause more problems than they're worth. A gear list only tells you what gear someone is carrying and often not what they are using for the whole trip. When you hiked the PCT, I'm sure you carried different equipment in hot southern CA desert compare to say the Sierras Mt. A gear list also doesn't tell you how they are using the equipment. The same equipment could serve different purpose that you may not be aware of. UL hikers often know how to use their equipment in many, many different ways that many hikers don't even think about.

Wolf

Greenmountainguy
12-01-2016, 22:23
One day he decided to load one of our cheaper packs with 4 gallons of water and walked for an hour or so. He's still complaining about being sore, and I thought, "Sheesh, 33 lbs isn't a whole lot." Well, that's my foot in my mouth, because this morning I picked up the pack to see how it felt . . . . and gosh, 33 lbs is a huge load! :(
. . . . but 33 lbs! We guesstimated that we would carry around 30 lbs with food, but even at my healthiest and strongest that still seems like a daunting weight, day in and day out for nearly 6 months.
!

I remember in my callow youth once going out for a week with an absurd 64 lbs. (Do not ask.)

Now I struggle to keep it under 25 lbs. and I cannot but think I am being too cautious in some things. I do carry a lot of first aid stuff to aid my fellow on trail, who are often absurdly unprepared for bodily damage.
Maybe if it is not bug season I can go back to my tent-tarp. That will shave up to two pounds. M

aybe a lighter stove, possibly a Sierra Zip? Or would a microscopic propane stove be better? You can get them that weight a couple ounces, but there is the canister weight.The Zip stove would cut my fuel weight (although I would have to carry alcohol or paste as a starter.)

Less clothes if the weather is supposed to be good. Go to lightest of my raingear if it is summer. Vapor barrier clothes for bed and for sudden weather change for the worse might help shave as much as a pound. My summer down bag has already helped. A lighter cookpot (than the stainless one I have now) would for sure help.

Although a lot of this I have already or can obtain even in my impoverished state, but some stuff is just too pricey. Titanium cookware for instance.

Greenmountainguy
12-01-2016, 22:26
Good plan. I recommend training with about 5 pounds more than you plan to carry.

I train with a full sized pack filled with individual water bottles for a fill weight of 24 lbs., total pack weight of a bit less than 30 lbs. which is pretty much what I will carry without food or H2O. Yes, I need to get my weight down.