PDA

View Full Version : Towels

mykl
03-26-2010, 13:27
I'm looking to get a new towel to keep in my pack. Are the ultralight offered in outfitters worth the price? Seems a bit steep ($20 +) for a towel. Or is there a better, cheaper alternative for something light and compact? I'm interested in one the size of the Packtowel medium or large.

butts0989
03-26-2010, 13:58
nope, get a shamwow, they're amazing

bigmac_in
03-26-2010, 14:03
Just use a bandana . . .

Mrs Baggins
03-26-2010, 14:04
We paid the pricey amount for the pack towels and tossed them after one trip. All they did was smear the water around on our skin, did little to actually dry us off. And when they got wet they still took forever to dry out. Now we just take a small terry cloth towel. Absorbs the water, actually dries your skin, and are usually thin enough to dry out pretty quickly when hung out. And they're cheap.

Roche
03-26-2010, 14:32
Check the automotive section of any large retailer for a synthetic "shamwow" style towel - very inexpensive and very effective.

Rick500
03-26-2010, 14:56
Or search eBay for "shamwow" ... you can get the non-branded version which comes from the same factory in Germany for 3 or 4 dollars. I got one and then cut it into eighths and carry one of the pieces in my pack.

garlic08
03-26-2010, 20:33
Ditto the bandanna. You probably already have one.

Blissful
03-26-2010, 20:37
My msr towels I got on here for a few bucks have lasted a thru and hopefully another one. Work good, dry quick and I still have them.

Deadeye
03-26-2010, 21:08
ditto the shamwow, or the synthetic towels you can get at army/navy stores. they come packed super tight and expand when you first soak them. For my money, cotton bandannas don't work well as a towel. YMMV

bigcranky
03-26-2010, 21:57
On a long trip I like having a towel. I use one of the microfiber travel towels, it works fine.

fiddlehead
03-26-2010, 23:12
$6 here. (http://www.theunderwearguys.com/product_info.php?cPath=64&products_id=259)
But personally, not using a towel is one of the things long distance hiking has taught me.
I now live in the tropics and believe towels are overrated.
Unless you have to immediately put on your clothes, I just drip dry.
Of course, when i'm back in PA in the early winter, I use one at home. (but not on the trail)

beakerman
03-26-2010, 23:58
wally world is selling the shamwow in a three pack of fairly large ones (28x17) for about $12.

Tinker
03-27-2010, 08:17
We paid the pricey amount for the pack towels and tossed them after one trip. All they did was smear the water around on our skin, did little to actually dry us off. And when they got wet they still took forever to dry out. Now we just take a small terry cloth towel. Absorbs the water, actually dries your skin, and are usually thin enough to dry out pretty quickly when hung out. And they're cheap.

I have a couple of the old Packtowels (or however it's spelled).
They are next to worthless until you wash them a couple of times.
I was as disappointed as Mrs. B. until I did this.
Still, I believe that something like a Shamwow would be better, unless there are durability issues.
If I tented, I would carry a small sponge for the inside of the tent as well, to be designated as "grunge sponge" - not for use on the body.
For the UL crowd, forget all the above and carry TWO bandannas :eek:/:D.