PDA

View Full Version : What are you going to do for the fire detour?

sbhikes
03-26-2010, 19:25
Is there a plan for the fire areas around Wrightwood yet? If not, has anyone given any though to a viable alternate route? What are people going to do?

Miner
03-27-2010, 00:58
Its my understanding that they are working to have an official alternative route in place by the ADZPCKTO as currently there is still too much snow to do a proper trail survey. If they fail to come up with one, then the same roadwalk that SOBOs used last fall is the fallback position (or hitchhiking past it).

sbhikes
03-27-2010, 11:02
It's a bummer they focus so much on the Kick-off as the time to release information. Some people don't go to the kick-off.

Miner
03-27-2010, 14:33
Its not that big of a deal to get the information off the internet in Idyllwild or Big Bear once its published. Both the PCTA website and the PCT-L should have it once its been decided(people do realize that they can access what is published on the PCT-L without receiving all those emails via reading the Archives online?).

wandering_bob
03-27-2010, 17:36
The PCTA website says they will post in re-route details when the USFS tells them what it will be. Until the rains stop and/or the snow melts off so the FS reps can survey the ground, they simply won't know. Mother Nature doesn't care about your hiking plans.:-?

The emphasis - if it exists at all - around the Kickoff is that the vast majority of the thru-hikers will be there. Ergo, that is the opportunity to get the correct info to the maximum number of hikers. Those who aren't there, for whatever reason, will have to get the info on their own, either from trailhead postings, internet access at town stops, or from affected local residents.

sbhikes
03-28-2010, 21:53
Ok thanks. The PCTA web site doesn't appear to be updated very often. It has the appearance of being nearly abandoned. The last update is from February. Hopefully we can get the info in time.

Jonnycat
03-31-2010, 14:34
It's a bummer they focus so much on the Kick-off as the time to release information. Some people don't go to the kick-off.

The kick-off debacle is a big money maker for a number of companies who "affiliate" themselves with the PCT for profit. This even includes at least one head member of ALDHA who (ab)uses his position in the hiking association to promote his gear at the kick-off.

It is rather disgusting when you come to realize that people are whoring out a wonderful trail to line their own pockets, but it isn't surprising what people do in the name of greed.

Guy
04-01-2010, 10:46
The kick-off debacle is a big money maker for a number of companies who "affiliate" themselves with the PCT for profit. This even includes at least one head member of ALDHA who (ab)uses his position in the hiking association to promote his gear at the kick-off.

It is rather disgusting when you come to realize that people are whoring out a wonderful trail to line their own pockets, but it isn't surprising what people do in the name of greed.

If you're gonna throw accusations like this around, name names. Don't be a coward.

"Whoring"?!

Exactly how is anyone "whoring", and explain how you have this insider information on what these people's intentions are?

burger
04-01-2010, 10:55

Have you been to the Kickoff? Here was my experience last year: the guy who made my pack (it's a small company) came over to me and offered to fix a problem without my asking. He did it for free. I got free samples of Nuun and Dr. Bonner's soap. Someone had donated a bunch of reflectix insulation so that hikers could make their own pot cozies. The grand total of my spending was $15 or so on a Stickpic that I used to take pictures of myself all the way to Canada. There was a lot of generosity, a lot of excitement about the trail, and a generally welcoming spirit.

Were people selling stuff and making money? Sure. But it was totally voluntary. No one forced anyone to buy anything. You didn't even have to go near the vendors if you didn't want to. A bunch of my friends did buy stuff for the trail. And you know what? Those people were usually happy about what they ended up buying. And they didn't have to make a special trip into LA or Portland to get to an outfitter.

So I say, more power to the vendors at the Kickoff. I only hope they have more in the future.

sbhikes
04-02-2010, 09:18
I bought a great discontinued pack there and now it's the pack I always use. It was only $40. I suppose if it had been $250 you could say it was a respectable "date" but at $40 maybe it is closer to a quickie in the alley. I don't know.

Still I'm bugged that there's too much focus on "we'll let you know at the kickoff" kind of stuff.

In 2008 when I hiked the trail, I hiked through one closed burn area near Big Bear. In my opinion, there was no reason for it to be closed. The trail was in excellent shape and hardly any of it was burned. The section was small and I was able to walk through in a few hours. There was no water on the detour but plenty on the trail. When I got to the other side I met a whole bunch of people who did the roadwalk and when they saw me they were kicking themselves for being "good" and following the rules. I know you aren't supposed to admit that you do stuff like that, but that was the only time I did it. I was only going to just check it out and join the detour when I got to another place where I could join it, but when I saw that it was so nice and there were tons of footprints on the trail, I just kept going.

In 2009 when I hiked through some burn areas that had been closed in 2008 and now were open, none of them were burned badly. I'm sure the station fire area was burned badly, though. Maybe not the Sheep fire area, though.

leaftye
04-09-2010, 18:41
What are people going to do?

I'm going to play it day by day. I'll probably be past all the fire closures by the time kickoff happens. I may have to refuse to confirm or deny what I actually end up doing.

Jester2000
04-20-2010, 13:07

Hahahaha!

That was a joke, right?

Miner
04-21-2010, 21:43
Considering the off and on snow we been getting this year in SoCAL, I don't think we will know of any detours by the Kickoff anymore since I doubt any trail survey's have been done.

I suspect that the front of the herd will be doing the existing roadwalk/hitch and those in the 2nd half MAY get a better route if they are lucky.

AsABat
04-29-2010, 18:52
The PCTA has posted the detour for the Sheep Fire on their trail conditions page. The Station Fire detour is still being reviewed by the Angeles NF. It will be on the PCTA page as well.

As to announcing at ADZPCTKO, yes, lots were there, but if you weren't I post the water, snow, and detour info on the water report as well. In fact, the water report was started just so we can get this info to those that choose NOT to attend the ADZ.

Dicentra
05-05-2010, 15:41

Check your facts. I am on the board of ALDHA-West (and was also a vendor at KO) and there is no one on our board who is also a gear manufacturer. The vendors all have a very strong connection to the thru hiking community and bend over backwards to do what they can to provide people with excellent gear... often fixing or adjusting packs, tents etc at their cost.

Try coming to a KO and see for yourself. :rolleyes:

Jester2000
05-06-2010, 00:45
Check your facts. I am on the board of ALDHA-West (and was also a vendor at KO) and there is no one on our board who is also a gear manufacturer. The vendors all have a very strong connection to the thru hiking community and bend over backwards to do what they can to provide people with excellent gear... often fixing or adjusting packs, tents etc at their cost.

Try coming to a KO and see for yourself. :rolleyes:

He won't do it, Di. When he wants to be social, he stays in town. He doesn't like the idea of ruining the pristine wilderness that is . . . a large car camping campground with bathrooms, pavilions, dumpsters. You know, one of the "few quiet places on the trail."

And if he checked facts, well, it would be way harder to manufacture outrage. So that's out too.

Dicentra
05-06-2010, 12:46
Ah well. More beer for me then!