PDA

View Full Version : Mountain to Sea Trail: Pilot Mtn to Souratown Mtn Section

JEBjr
03-26-2010, 20:11
Thinking about trying this section in the upcoming weeks. I know there is probably a bunch of downed trees from the winter storms up in Surry and Stokes Counties. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

I need to get me one of those fancy signatures if I'm going to start posting on a regular basis.

grizzlyadam
03-26-2010, 23:07
Granted, it has been five years (almost to the day) since I hiked this stretch, but here is what I found when I did hike through there:

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=92063

JEBjr
03-28-2010, 15:24
Hopefully I'll have a little better conditions. Sounds like you had a pretty miserable day.

Taba
03-28-2010, 23:55
Watch the trail carefully. It is easy to take a wrong turn. The trail group has new blazes that they are going to put up this year using the parks section numbers. They will be working out there and it is a nice hike from my experience. Try not to hike it after it has rained. The trail needs some bog bridges. The horse have softened the trail and the mud can get deep.

Tennessee Viking
03-29-2010, 08:28
I walked Pilot Knob Road to just past old 52/Coon Road. It was fairly well blazed. Only one bad spot at several creek crossing where it turns from wooded trail to a graded gravel road. There was was some lack of blazing at the transition and with several paths and another farm road going in out of the area it was a bit confusing. Watch for some soft hillside.

You should be able to park at the turnout at the road that goes to the B&B or the trailhead at Coon Road. And if you are planning to camp, look for places off trail. Camping is prohibited by the land owners.

Smoky Scout
04-01-2010, 19:30
I just hiked that section this past weekend. The trail has been cleaned up a great deal and no serious blowdowns. Section 5 is a little sketchy with inconsistent blazes, especially the last little bit before reaching Taylor Road. There is a bridge missing on Section 5 but wading was easy.

My hiking buddy and I used Scot Ward's 2010 Eastbound version of his MST guide, extremely helpful for the road sections. We entered the Sauratown Trail at the Brims Grove parking area, beginning of Section 11. Almost immediately we had to wade Little Yadkin River.

We also picked up a friendly neighborhood dog at Mazie's Lane (beginning of Section 10) and she followed us for the next 8 miles.