PDA

View Full Version : coming from boston airport

yappy
03-26-2010, 21:08
I am wondering about shuttles from airport to southern terminus ? I will be coming from fairbanks. How far is airport anyhow ? Everything is so close back there ! Should I look into another airport ?....:-?

white_russian
03-26-2010, 21:29
Get to Pittsfield either by bus or train. Then the local BRTA bus will get you to the trail head between North Adams and Williamstown.

Trailweaver
03-27-2010, 02:16
Southern terminus? Shouldn't you be coming in to the Atlanta airport? The Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega runs a shuttle and I think they do a pickup in Atlanta. . . or you could bus it.

hikerhostel.com all you need to know to start in GA

Roland
03-27-2010, 04:22
I am wondering about shuttles from airport to southern terminus ? I will be coming from fairbanks. How far is airport anyhow ? Everything is so close back there ! Should I look into another airport ?....:-?

Boston to North Adams is a 3 hour drive (approx 160 miles). As stated above, you could take public transportation to Pittsfield MA, and then to N. Adams.

Albany NY to North Adams is a 1 hour drive (approx 45 miles). Though flights to Albany are more limited.

white_russian
03-27-2010, 09:02
Boston to North Adams is a 3 hour drive (approx 160 miles). As stated above, you could take public transportation to Pittsfield MA, and then to N. Adams.

Albany NY to North Adams is a 1 hour drive (approx 45 miles). Though flights to Albany are more limited.
The bad part about Albany is getting from the airport to the bus station.
If you try to take the local bus you get a complex route that doesn't go near the EMS if you need stove fuel. I took a cab from the airport to the train station (right across the river from the bus terminal) including a stop at the EMS and it cost me $35.

fiddlehead
03-27-2010, 09:17
Yappy, why don't you just call Rainman or Karine?
Isn't that the way people get to a trail anymore (looking up old hiking friends?)
But to ask them to drive you to Springer could take a long weekend.

Kerosene
03-27-2010, 09:39
Note that this thread is on the Long Trail (LT) forum. The OP is asking for the best way to get from Boston Logan to North Adams, Massachusetts.

Slo-go'en
03-27-2010, 11:29
From Logan, get a suttle or bus to South Station bus terminal. From there take a bus to Williamstown, MA. That puts you 2.5 miles west of the trail, just before it crosses into Vermont. There is a local bus which will get you to the trail. Hopefully, the driver will know where it is.

The only problem will be timing. There is only one bus a day out to Williamstown. It might be an afternoon bus, because I know the one leaving Williamstown to Boston leaves at 7 AM.

Lumberjack2003
03-27-2010, 11:38
yappy,

When are you coming. I live in the Boston area and may be able to give you a ride.

Snowleopard
03-27-2010, 12:21
Peter Pan buses used to go to the Berkshires, but I can't find any working schedules now. You might call them. Their buses do leave from Logan Airport. There's service to Worcester and Springfield but that doesn't help you much.
http://peterpanbus.com/
Greyhound lists Williamstown as a station but I can't find a schedule
Amtrak has a route from to Pittsfield, MA once a day. There are local buses in the Berkshires that probably stop in Pittsfield and Williamstown.
I'm afraid if you want public transportation, you're in the wrong country.

Also, you should be aware that Vermont trails are closed for mud season, April to Memorial day. https://www.greenmountainclub.org/page.php?id=60

yappy
03-27-2010, 12:54
Wow ! you guys are full of Info..:) I hear you Fiddlehead I don't want ask them to go outta their way for me if I can get to trail pretty easy. I won't be getting in to Boston til late cuz of 4 hr time difference that can be a drag for anyone coming to pick me up..boohoo for yappy..haha

Kerosene
03-27-2010, 13:20
From Williamstown, you can take the Pine Cobble Trail (http://www.summitpost.org/route/161652/pine-cobble-trail.html) about 2 miles uphill (1,200' feet vertical gain) to the AT near the VT/MA border.

Sly
03-27-2010, 14:04
Yappy!!! Get in touch, I'm in the Boston area...

Snowleopard
03-27-2010, 21:56
... I won't be getting in to Boston til late cuz of 4 hr time difference that can be a drag for anyone coming to pick me up..boohoo for yappy..haha

If you're getting in late and it's helpful, there's two hostels in Boston, $35 or $40/night,
http://www.hiusa.org/hostels/usa_hostels/massachusetts
The Fenway hostel is nice, I don't know about the other.

yappy
03-28-2010, 11:39
thanks snow leopard I will keep that in mind..:)

yappy
03-28-2010, 11:39
hey Sly !! how u doing ?...") hope leg is better ?

devdally
04-22-2010, 19:23
Southern terminus? Shouldn't you be coming in to the Atlanta airport? The Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega runs a shuttle and I think they do a pickup in Atlanta. . . or you could bus it.

hikerhostel.com all you need to know to start in GA

This website sure is helpful. The shuttle, though, I had a bit of a problem. Guess I'm comfortable having my own vehicle even when outta town.

Anderson
08-22-2013, 00:44
HI friends i am here i just want to say you that Transfer service is very best which provides you the best services to transfer your luggage and the passengers to their homes or any where they want to go or booked from the air port all the transports are Luxury and have all the facilities and reliable for the passengers with a great dealings you can booked this transfer service from your air port they will pick you where you are arrived ..........