PDA

View Full Version : Canister Fuel Availability

lstawick
03-27-2010, 09:45
I have heard that it can be difficult to find canister fuel along the AT. Does anyone have experience with finding, or not finding, canister fuel along the way? I would appreciate hearing of your experience.

DTG
03-27-2010, 10:37
generally youre fine just as long as there is an outfitter in town. I started with canisters but came unstuck at Pearisburg where there wasnt an outfitter. i switched to alcohol after that - never had any problems getting hold of heet but to be honest just as long as you plan a little you wont have problems.

trailangelmary
03-27-2010, 11:09
When you are entering Duncannon,PA there is no place to get canister fuel here. However, I try to have a supply, during the summer months that hikers come through Duncannon, so that if that is the only reason a hiker would need to go to the outfitter in Harrisburg the drive would not be necessary.
My phone 717-834-4706 and I live a block from the Doyle.

Tagless
03-27-2010, 12:11
Istawick,

This link (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=97824&postcount=1) will provide the information you need. One other note, there was no canister fuel available in Hiawassee, GA in 09.

Hope this helps!

Jim Adams
03-27-2010, 12:47
It's everywhere. Check hiker boxes. People get paranoid that they will run out and leave 1/2 full canisters in hiker boxes everywhere. Way back in '02 I purchased my first cannister in Erwin, my second one in Damascus and never bought another one the rest of the trail. It is available alot of places along the trail, outfitters, REI, EMS, LL Bean, Gander Mt., Bass Pro Shops, Cabelas, etc.

geek

lstawick
03-27-2010, 13:10
Thanks for the info. This should be very helpful.

Blissful
03-28-2010, 19:38
Hiker boxes never have any fuel except for minute drops left in the end when no one wants it.

Do a search, this topic has been discussed recently.

Canisters can be mailed also. I mailed one to myself in Duncannon, Unionville, etc.

generoll
03-28-2010, 20:18
still no canisters in Hiawassee. get one at Neels Gap or wait until you get to Franklin. The NOC was also out of the small ones for the Jetboil lasst week.

Bags4266
03-28-2010, 20:24
When you are entering Duncannon,PA there is no place to get canister fuel here. However, I try to have a supply, during the summer months that hikers come through Duncannon, so that if that is the only reason a hiker would need to go to the outfitter in Harrisburg the drive would not be necessary.

Very thoughtful!;)

10-K
03-28-2010, 20:36
Is alcohol a lot easier to get than canisters?

white_russian
03-28-2010, 20:49
Is alcohol a lot easier to get than canisters?
Yep, you can get it at outfitters, most hostels, gas stations, auto parts stores, hardware stores, maybe grocery stores, drug stores, liquor stores, ect

Canisters are generally only available at outfitters and sometimes a hostel might have them as well.

10-K
03-28-2010, 20:56
Yep, you can get it at outfitters, most hostels, gas stations, auto parts stores, hardware stores, maybe grocery stores, drug stores, liquor stores, ect

Canisters are generally only available at outfitters and sometimes a hostel might have them as well.

I should have been more specific... I meant north of Bear Mt., NY....I've hiked the rest of the trail.

I'm still trying to decide whether to mail esbit, use alcohol or take a canister stove. A canister stove would be a lot easier I guess...but I like esbit best.

Jim Adams
03-28-2010, 23:58
The hiker box for fuel had 7-10 cannisters 1/2 full in it last week at Neels Gap.

geek

Dialeight44
03-29-2010, 00:36
I thru-hiked last year and had a problem in very few locations. I was good with canister fuel all the way to Pearisburg. I luckily found it at the Rendezvous Motel (Thank God!). No problems until Duncannon, as mentioned above, but the Doyle did have canisters for sale behind the bar. The last place I had an issue was in Stratton, ME, where no one had it. If it weren't for the nice people working at the Stratton Inn, I would have been stuck, but he drove back to Rangely for me to buy a half dozen canisters for the thru-hikers who were out. I was a little silly by not wanting to carry an extra canister when it might "get close" on fuel. By that time, you are in shape so you shouldn't mind carrying the extra weight.

Gorgonzola
GA>ME 2009

Jim Adams
03-29-2010, 08:49
I thru-hiked last year and had a problem in very few locations. I was good with canister fuel all the way to Pearisburg. I luckily found it at the Rendezvous Motel (Thank God!). No problems until Duncannon, as mentioned above, but the Doyle did have canisters for sale behind the bar. The last place I had an issue was in Stratton, ME, where no one had it. If it weren't for the nice people working at the Stratton Inn, I would have been stuck, but he drove back to Rangely for me to buy a half dozen canisters for the thru-hikers who were out. I was a little silly by not wanting to carry an extra canister when it might "get close" on fuel. By that time, you are in shape so you shouldn't mind carrying the extra weight.

Gorgonzola
GA>ME 2009

I could never figure that out. People won't carry an extra cannister when getting low but they are willing to carry a bottle of alcohol for an alcohol stove instead.:-?

geek

Dialeight44
03-29-2010, 10:29
Like I said, it was silly. Thru-hikers, by nature, are always trying to cut pack weight and invariably become obsessed with it. I started with a 49 pound pack and hat it cut to <35 pounds by Damascus. Stewpid not carrying the extra canister, I know.

Gorgonzola

flemdawg1
03-29-2010, 12:24

No problems until Duncannon, as mentioned above, but the Doyle did have canisters for sale behind the bar. ...Gorgonzola
GA>ME 2009

Yep, the Doyle had canisters last summer, $7.

Dialeight44
03-29-2010, 16:25
Yep, the Doyle had canisters last summer, $7.

Indeed, but it was for the medium size can, not the puny one. I felt it was a fair price.

turtle fast
03-29-2010, 19:08
I would not rely on outfitters having what you need. I had seen some places that were wiped out later in the season...and nothing on hand. Conversely there was no problem with getting white gas (Coleman fuel) or denatured alcohol. You could also use if your stove could burn it automotive fuel which is abundant.

Desert Reprobate
03-29-2010, 21:35
Ron brought a few canisters of gas to the Hiawassee Inn. The outfitter in town doesn't carry it because of the extra HazMat charges for the shipping.

10-K
03-30-2010, 04:27
Ron brought a few canisters of gas to the Hiawassee Inn. The outfitter in town doesn't carry it because of the extra HazMat charges for the shipping.

That's kinda odd... You'd think an outfitter would carry canisters anyway.

flemdawg1
03-30-2010, 09:38
Also remember that most Walmarts carry Coleman butane canisters in their sporting goods dept.

goedde2
03-30-2010, 13:17
You might want to consider a Jet Boil. That fuel lasts and lasts because of the efficient way the heat is distributed. In addition, the pot serves as the plate.