PDA

View Full Version : Not in your average First Aid Kit?

mumblez
03-27-2010, 10:42
Just curious if there is anything out there that you add to your first aid kit that is not normally found in them. Also, are there things you take out of a first aid kit when you buy it?

Looking at my first aid kit, I removed the tylenol and just keep ibuprofen in it. I don't see a need for both of them and I'm supposed to avoid tylenol due to health issues that I have.

Green Bean
03-27-2010, 10:50
I usually like to add some Benadryl

white_russian
03-27-2010, 10:53
I carry some prednisone in case of emergencies. It was leftovers from when I was sick and the stuff is like rocket fuel so I figured why not carry it.

grayfox
03-27-2010, 11:24
Throw out all the stuff and keep the container.

Just kdding-sort of. Usually, the scissors don't cut, the tweezers don't tweez, and the tape-what little they give you-doesn't stick.

There are some kits that are better than others. But you will be better off to build your own kit that suits your needs.

Fiddleback
03-27-2010, 11:29
A dental repair kit...the kind that patches a hole left by a broken filling or 'glues' a crown back on...and OTC sinus/allergy meds and throat lozenges.

I also carry a mix of pain killers...not to be used together but for their more specific benefits and applications; aspirin, IB, and a Rx narcotic (Lorcet) left over from dental surgery.

Finally, iodine for it's obvious purpose and to treat water when the filter fails or it gets left at home. it.:rolleyes:

FB

garlic08
03-27-2010, 11:43
Throw out all the stuff and keep the container.

Just kidding-sort of. Usually, the scissors don't cut, the tweezers don't tweez, and the tape-what little they give you-doesn't stick.

There are some kits that are better than others. But you will be better off to build your own kit that suits your needs.

I agree with this--make your own. If you're severly allergic to stings, bring epi pens. If you typically have blister problems, go heavy on blister first aid. If you have rash problems, bring skin first aid. If you get headaches, bring pain killers. If you're arthritic, bring anti-imflammatories...you get the idea.

On the AT, you're seldom very far away from a drug store for minor problems like sunburn, insect bites, rashes, stomach upset, etc.

My kit consists of a single-edged razor blade, a pre-threaded needle, tweezers, a few band-aids, a roll of athletic tape, some Neosporin, and that's it, in a small ziplock. My large bandanna is multi-purpose and can be used as a bandage, sling, or splint. That's all I've ever needed.

fiddlehead
03-27-2010, 11:56
This thread comes up from time to time.
Better to search the old threads.
But basically, all you need is duct tape, needle and dental floss, and some Tylenol for hangovers. and many take IBpropen (not me)
I do also take a knee brace but usually send it home about a month into a thru-hike.

johnnybgood
03-27-2010, 14:56
This thread comes up from time to time.
Better to search the old threads.
But basically, all you need is duct tape, needle and dental floss, and some Tylenol for hangovers. and many take IBpropen (not me)
I do also take a knee brace but usually send it home about a month into a thru-hike.
Better take more than that.

For small lacerations you need to clean the wound with peroxide and cover it with a Steri-Strip to keep the area clean and bacteria free.

Larger and deeper wounds may require an absorbent fine mesh gauze dressing which comes in a sterile package to stop excessive bleeding. Then that needs to be wrapped with 3"-4" elastic bandage.

I even carry a sterile Suture & Needle just in case I or someone else on the trail needs skin flap closure until medical care is given.

Last thing I want to see on my hike is myself or someone else with an injury but if that happens then at least I'm prepared.

Of course the Benadryl and Steri-pen for insect bites/stings is a must. Ibruprofen for headaches and muscle aches also a must.

fw2008
03-27-2010, 17:44
Just curious if there is anything out there that you add to your first aid kit that is not normally found in them. Also, are there things you take out of a first aid kit when you buy it?

Looking at my first aid kit, I removed the tylenol and just keep ibuprofen in it. I don't see a need for both of them and I'm supposed to avoid tylenol due to health issues that I have.
Interesting. I have to avoid ibuprofen because I'm allergic to it. I get stuffed sinuses when I take it, so I use Tylenol.

I would add Neosporin to the kit. The last one I bought didn't come with any, so I bought a small tube and stuffed it in.

FW

fw2008
03-27-2010, 17:46
I usually like to add some Benadryl
Which type of Benadryl? The topical, or pills?
I use topical for itches. I also use pills for allergies, but taking it at night would make me sleep a lot later than I should on the trail.

FW

fw2008
03-27-2010, 17:49
Better take more than that.

For small lacerations you need to clean the wound with peroxide and cover it with a Steri-Strip to keep the area clean and bacteria free.

Larger and deeper wounds may require an absorbent fine mesh gauze dressing which comes in a sterile package to stop excessive bleeding. Then that needs to be wrapped with 3"-4" elastic bandage.

I even carry a sterile Suture & Needle just in case I or someone else on the trail needs skin flap closure until medical care is given.

Last thing I want to see on my hike is myself or someone else with an injury but if that happens then at least I'm prepared.

Of course the Benadryl and Steri-pen for insect bites/stings is a must. Ibruprofen for headaches and muscle aches also a must.
Ah yes; Duct Tape.

I really wish I could edit my posts. I have a habit of replying before I have read all of the posts, so I've got multiple replies here. Sorry.

FW

LimpsAlong
03-27-2010, 17:51
Make ur own.
4-4X4 gauze pads
1- Triangular bandage
1-roll tape
Benadryl (sp?)
Pain tabs of your choice
Butterfly closures
Use your camp soap for washing wounds

If u need more than this, you are hurt bad. Keep your knife sharp with a good point.

Wheeler
03-27-2010, 18:05
neosporin
benadryl
Ibuprofin
sewing needle and floss
duct tape
This is enough to get me to town on most of the trails I hike on. I find I'm hardly using this stuff, but, well, you get the idea.

russb
03-27-2010, 18:44
To add to everyone elses great suggestions, I also carry a few Imodium caplets.

My Kit:
bunch of bandaids different sizes
safety pins
spare lighter
blade
duct tape
bandaid blister cushions
neosporin
meds (ibuprofen, Imodium, benadryl, percocet)

Blue Jay
03-27-2010, 19:26
There is only one thing that is required (other than in winter) and that one thing is almost never carried. Something to stop heavy bleeding. An old rag and duct tape just does not work. Go to a medical supply store and get a deep wound kit, you may be very glad you did. The rest is nicey nicey crap that will not help you walk out to safety.

Jonnycat
03-27-2010, 22:12
Sterile gauze squares, duct tape, bandaids, and a scalpel.

Rick500
03-27-2010, 22:37
I also carry a few ranitidine (generic Zantac) tablets...I get heartburn frequently and it helps a lot.

J5man
03-27-2010, 23:01
ambien, claritan, aleve, immodium

snaplok
03-28-2010, 01:31
Percocet( for severe pain), motrin, tylenol( because I usually hike with someone who can only take tylenol) alka seltzer(works great for an upset stomach and if you run into someone having a heart attack), betadine, desitin(sun screen, rash and chafing aid).

fw2008
03-28-2010, 19:03
ambien, claritan, aleve, immodium
Careful with Ambien. You might end up sleep-hiking!

FW

Wise Old Owl
03-28-2010, 19:20
Hi Mumbles good question. I took a lightweight modern first aid kit Adventure Medical Kit, added iodine prep pads, Aleve, Quick Clot, and Immodium.

I am also prepared to thow it out 5 years from now. Apparently as the stuff ages, it doesn't keep.

canoehead
03-28-2010, 19:44
Tweezers.....

Kerosene
03-28-2010, 20:38
There is only one thing that is required (other than in winter) and that one thing is almost never carried. Something to stop heavy bleeding. An old rag and duct tape just does not work. Go to a medical supply store and get a deep wound kit, you may be very glad you did. The rest is nicey nicey crap that will not help you walk out to safety.I carry a QuikClot Sport pad (0.9 oz) in my first aid kit to help stop heavy bleeding.

Mountain Wildman
03-28-2010, 20:46
Removed the duct tape roll that came in mine and wrapped quality duct tape around an old gift card, Added, alcohol swabs, tums, benadryl, Naprosyn, Flexoral muscle relaxers and ticktwisters.

J.D.
03-28-2010, 20:51
snake bite medicine

Roche
03-28-2010, 20:58
Breath Right strips help me at night when the allergies kick in.

skinewmexico
03-29-2010, 01:23
Super glue. Works better than butterflys.

Silverbullet52
04-08-2010, 15:43
My personal kit for the home, car, and wilderness hiking where no available EMS is available and I'm the only one that can administer either general or trauma care to help my fellow camper when hurt:

Emergency Care

Military M3 Medical Bag
Signal Flares
Eye Protection – PPE (Personal Protection)
Nitrile Gloves - PPE (Personal Protection)
Benchmade Cutter #5 – Cutting Garments / Belts
C.A.T. Tourniquet – Severe Hemorrhage Control
Topper / Surgipads Sponges – Blood Absorption
Combat Gauze / Celox or HemCon
Israeli Compression Bandage
Nasopharyngeal Airway (NPA)
HyFin (Chest Seal) w/ Decompression Needle
CPR Micro Shield
EpiPen - Anaphylaxis/Allergic Reaction
Glucose Tablets - Diabetes
Bayer 325 Aspirin - Chest Pain
Smelling Salts – Fainting / Unconsciousness
Biohazard Bag – Medical Waste
Sharpie to mark time & date on C.A.T.

Urgent Care

Tegaderm – Clear Adherent Wound Protection – 9.00
Polymem
Primapore – Non Adherent Wound Protection – 3.00
Gauze Pads (4x4)
Kerlix Gauze – Bandage Wrap
Oil Emulsion Pads – Burns / Draining Wounds
Assorted Band Aids
Steri Strips – Wound Closure
Moleskin - Blisters
Tincture of Benzoin – Skin Adherent
Benzoin Swabs – Skin Disinfectant
Alcohol Pads - Skin Disinfectant
Sterile Saline – Wound Irrigation / Eye Wash
Transpore Tape
SAM Splints – Breaks / Fractures
Blizzard Bag - Hypothermia
CoFlex - Self Adhering Dressing Wrap / Splint Wrap
Scissors NAR
Sling
Safety Pins & Container
Tweezers
Magnifying Plastic Card
Headlamp
20 CC Syringe (Irrigation) & 18 g. needle
Leatherman Squirt Knife
Used CC for tape

Medications

Aleve – Pain Relief
Bayer 325 mg - Pain Relief / Chest Pain
Excedrin ES - Pain Relief
Advil SoftGels - Pain Relief
Ecotrin - Pain Relief / Blood Clot Inhibitor
Tramadol – Prescription Pain Relief
Benadryl – Anti Itch / Allergies – caps & ointment
Zantac - Antacid
Nox a Sting – Bee Stings / Spider Bites
Chapstick – Lip Balm
Oral Rehydration Salts - Dehydration
Lopramide - Diarrhea
Colace – Constipation
DEET Tick Control
Ipecac – Vomit Inducer
Purell – Hand Sanitizer
Sistane Eye Drops, Eye Cup, & Patch
Wound Wash
Oragel – Tooth Pain
DenTemp – Temporary Filling
Insect Repellent
Poison Ivy Spray

Gorilla Tape
Back Up Supplies

It weighs 3.8 lbs. I try to observe weight constraints yet not compromising capability or firepower.

I'd rather have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.:)

Silverbullet52
04-08-2010, 15:49
There is only one thing that is required (other than in winter) and that one thing is almost never carried. Something to stop heavy bleeding. An old rag and duct tape just does not work. Go to a medical supply store and get a deep wound kit, you may be very glad you did. The rest is nicey nicey crap that will not help you walk out to safety.

Absolutely...

I carry an Israeli (Emergency) Bandage or an Olaes comprression bandage with Celox (tea bags, powder, or bandage (Combat Gauze) or HemCon for hemostasis.

Cookerhiker
04-08-2010, 16:23
.....I really wish I could edit my posts. I have a habit of replying before I have read all of the posts, so I've got multiple replies here. Sorry.

FW

Here's how you edit your posts: http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=donating_member

IceAge
04-08-2010, 16:54
My wife strongly urged me to take a WFA class, so I took it to make her feel better. Great class and I really learned a lot. My first-aid kit is still pretty basic, but I do carry a couple of SAM splints tucked into my hydration pocket.

Johhnybgood, peroxide is not the best thing for cleaning a wound, it damages tissue, and suturing in the backcountry is almost always a bad idea.

Disney
04-08-2010, 17:34
It weighs 3.8 lbs. I try to observe weight constraints yet not compromising capability or firepower.

I'd rather have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.:)

That's alot of stuff. I think you have it all.....EXCEPT for what I personally bring.

I have very bad eyesight and contacts. If I get an infection and I can't see, (happened once) I may have to have someone walk me out by hand. Consequently I bring some antibiotic eye drops. I got some free samples from a nice eye doctor, replace them every year or so.

ATsawyer
04-08-2010, 18:32
One could argue whether it belongs in your med kit or on your key chain, but then, what's a keychain?http://http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8465&stc=1&d=1270765774

Silverbullet52
04-08-2010, 18:44
That's alot of stuff. I think you have it all.....EXCEPT for what I personally bring.

I have very bad eyesight and contacts. If I get an infection and I can't see, (happened once) I may have to have someone walk me out by hand. Consequently I bring some antibiotic eye drops. I got some free samples from a nice eye doctor, replace them every year or so.

I get prescriptions like Ultram (tramadol) for a non narcotic pain reliever. My doc just writes "For expedition use only" on the script, same with the Epi Pen as well.

Silverbullet52
04-08-2010, 18:48
My wife strongly urged me to take a WFA class, so I took it to make her feel better. Great class and I really learned a lot. My first-aid kit is still pretty basic, but I do carry a couple of SAM splints tucked into my hydration pocket.

Johhnybgood, peroxide is not the best thing for cleaning a wound, it damages tissue, and suturing in the backcountry is almost always a bad idea.

I took a BLS (Basic Life Support) class which was very informative. I agree with the peroxide skin damage. I find that Povidone swabs are more tolerated. Suturing :eek: Try a disposable skin stapler or Steri Strips.

Silverbullet52
04-08-2010, 18:49
One could argue whether it belongs in your med kit or on your key chain, but then, what's a keychain?http://http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8465&stc=1&d=1270765774

Great item. Have you ever tried DEET for prevention?

mmais68569
04-08-2010, 18:54
DUCT TAPE

Mike

beakerman
04-08-2010, 19:06
I always carry a maxipad with me. I've even had to use them from time to time on other folks. they work great as compression bandage pads and are sterile until opened.

Silverbullet52
04-08-2010, 19:10
I always carry a maxipad with me. I've even had to use them from time to time on other folks. they work great as compression bandage pads and are sterile until opened.

They're cheap too, excellent blood sponges.

msujay
04-08-2010, 19:58
Leukotape - best blister prevention
Tylenol PM - combination of pain killer and sleep enhancer

ATsawyer
04-08-2010, 22:35
Great item. Have you ever tried DEET for prevention?

I use permethrin.... on my clothes.

mkmangold
04-09-2010, 01:41
Forceps (not "tweezers"); Tylenol and aspirin as pain meds (you can alternate them; aspirin is anti-inflammatory, it helps prevent blood clots, and if your partner is having a heart attack, can help save him or her); one Sam splint to be used as a neck brace for falls involving head injury and for splinting fractures; duct tape to hold things like Sam splints together, etc; Imodium; glucose tabs; razor blade for cutting; fire starter of choice for sterilizing; and something, like iodine to help sterilize water. On wounds, the best defense against bacterial infection is flushing with copious amounts of clean water (lowers the "bio-burden"). I think I have a needle and some Glide floss with the idea that I may need to suture a wound together but it hasn't happened yet. However, the needle is weightless and the floss can be used as fishing line. Maybe some Cipro for bacterial infections, benadryl or claritin for allergies, prednisone for severe problems, and definitely an Epi-Pen.

HeartFire
04-09-2010, 09:02
the items you take in your first aid kit should be packaged in several small zip lock bags. If it's pouring rain out when you open the bag you do't want ALL the contents in your kit getting soaked.
If you take an epi pen, make sure you take benadryl as well, the epi pen only lasts about 15 minutes, this gives the benadryl time to get into your system.

You don't need betadine (iodine) to clean small lacerations - soap and water is better,
I also carry one or two triangular bandages, they can be used for many different things.

The MOST important item for any first aid kit is the knowledge of what to do when. During an emergency is not the time to get out the manual and read up on it.

Silverbullet52
04-09-2010, 12:40
the items you take in your first aid kit should be packaged in several small zip lock bags. If it's pouring rain out when you open the bag you do't want ALL the contents in your kit getting soaked.
If you take an epi pen, make sure you take benadryl as well, the epi pen only lasts about 15 minutes, this gives the benadryl time to get into your system.

You don't need betadine (iodine) to clean small lacerations - soap and water is better,
I also carry one or two triangular bandages, they can be used for many different things.

The MOST important item for any first aid kit is the knowledge of what to do when. During an emergency is not the time to get out the manual and read up on it.

Absolutely, have you tried the Aloksak brand of zip - locks ?

GalHikingTheGap
04-10-2010, 22:18

Heartfire, well-put. Also very important about the benny with the epis.

Who makes that and where'd you procure it? Can't tell from the image but I'm a Lyme disease alum since I was 13 and it looks cool!

I took a BLS (Basic Life Support) class which was very informative. I agree with the peroxide skin damage. I find that Povidone swabs are more tolerated. Suturing :eek: Try a disposable skin stapler or Steri Strips.

Ditto on the steri strips. Add tincture of benzoin to help them stick and a transparent film dressing and you're in a lot better shape than suturing. Legally, I guess folks are usually covered by good sam laws, but it's definitely outside the scope of practice of a Wilderness First Responder to suture anything or anyone.

One time I took 13 Girl Scouts camping and it was like PADAGEDDON we were in such dire need! Now I carry extra when traveling with girls, because you never know...

They are showing that it's not WHAT you irrigate a wound with, but it's HOW you do it that's important. Any drinkable water with high-pressure is best, so my kit has to have an irrigation syringe, for sure.
Emergency blanket for hypothermia wrapping or emergency shelter.
At least 2 pair of non-latex gloves that fit well
SOAP note form for documenting medical care given
CPR pocket mask with one-way valve.

I really appreciate that I have a certification and training to handle emergencies in the back-country, and would highly rec Wilderness Medical Institute of NOLS. It's nice to know that there are set protocols to follow, and in terms of giving you info on basic legal issues, it was wonderful. I did my first recert this spring and was quite pleased and entertained (the eye candy of all the outdoorsy gents was nice, too :)

L

Connie
04-11-2010, 19:33
The unusual item I carry in my "1st aid kit" is Kendall Xeroform burn bandages in finger-length size and in larger surface squares.

I had them for 400 C potassium chlorate burns, instead of skin grafts. It was Industrial Chemistry class, okay. Bad instruction. Put the crucible in the sink. The sink was dry, but the moisture in the curve of pipe under the sink made steam and that made the explosion.

Okay, back to backpacking: my "1st aid kit" has items for what might incapacitate me.

Burns around campground fires or backpacking stoves are common.

Therefore, I carry the best burn bandages I know.

Also, good for "road rash" for bicyclists and motorcyclists because the bandage remains flexible.

Pull gently from the edges, so no wrinkles are applied.

The bandage falls off after it has served its purpose.

Apply and remove ice or a "cold pack" to the veins near the surface above the injury site, and repeat, to cool from within. I used the elbow joint and underarm, when my forearm and hand were severely burned.

Look ma' no scars!

crazyonelost
06-11-2010, 17:29
I have about
4 2x2 gauze
4 4x4 gauze
dozen dressings
1 ace bandage
handful of tylenol
handful of tylenol pm
dozen linament ointment single use packets
2 or 3 packs of moleskins
1 very small scissor
1 very small mirror
1 tweezer
about a dozen of differnt size bandaids
My BP pills
I have a few more odds and ends in my kit.

I am thinking of redoing my kit,since I think I can leave some of the stuff at home since I haven't used them and have more room for other neccesary stuff.

If you think I need something else or drop something from the list feel free to let me know.

Gray Blazer
06-11-2010, 17:56
Morphine patches would be nice in case you broke your leg 10 miles from a trailhead.

Lyle
06-11-2010, 19:29
Caution using Vitamin I...

Just saw this article a couple of minutes ago. Seems somewhat appropriate to this discussion.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2010-06-11-nsaids-heart_N.htm

Don H
06-11-2010, 22:10
Throw away the duct tape, it won't stick worth a darn! Use Leukotape for blisters.

strnorm
06-12-2010, 01:46
Super glue works great for closing cuts, better than stiches, also carry suafed pills for stings, duct tape and sticks make great splints, carry meds for your feet if they give up on you you are stuck, Jim Beam or George Dickel will sure help you feel better,also carry something for the runs, if you dont have anything a little bit of charcoal left over from campfire will work, stay well:D

Appalachian Tater
06-12-2010, 13:43
If soap and water, duct tape, and toilet paper aren't enough first aid supplies for your injury, you need to get to town anyway.

sbhikes
06-13-2010, 09:57
My kit consists of a single-edged razor blade, a pre-threaded needle, tweezers, a few band-aids, a roll of athletic tape, some Neosporin, and that's it, in a small ziplock. My large bandanna is multi-purpose and can be used as a bandage, sling, or splint. That's all I've ever needed.

Mine is much the same. A big needle I can thread if I can't find my glasses, dental floss for thread, the tweezers in my knife, a few bandaids, a roll of athletic tape, gauze, neosprin, a few vicodin, ibuprofen and claritin. Bandana.

I gave a talk to a boyscout troop on ultralight backpacking and the scout leader was surprised I didn't take more first-aid stuff. I haven't even used all of what I do bring yet.

JAK
06-15-2010, 10:17
I think it makes sense to be prepared for less likely events when there is more people involved, especially kids. For just myself I make a rather short list of what I might want to be prepared for, and much of that can be satisfied with the rest of my kit, so my first aid kit is mixed in with the rest of my kit. For hiking with my daughter I keep meaning to make a longer list of what I should be prepared for. I think it is better to start with such a list, except that it is easier to just go out and by a first aid kit. Unfortunately most are not all that good. The ones put out by the Red Cross are better than most. They come in different sizes of course. They might have one specifically for hiking and camping. Not sure.

NoBo2011
06-24-2010, 00:16
Ay, never super glue or stitch a cut in a wilderness setting! Please take a Wilderness First Responder course, or at least Wilderness First Aid.

I'm a Wilderness EMT and I struggle with how much to carry. I won't carry much for myself because I feel fine improvising on myself, but if I see somebody hurt, I don't want to be skimping on supplies or improvising on them.

medicjimr
06-24-2010, 08:13
Well it doesn't matter how much you carry in a kit if you don't know how to properly use it. I see allot of people carrying medications I hope they are aware of some of the side effects and that some people have sever allergic reactions too As a paramedic I had to stop and think realistically what to carry or I would have needed a separate backpack just for first aid If someone for example goes into cardiac arrest in the 100 mile wilderness By the time someone gets help notified and to the person I am going to be too exhausted to continue CPR for that amount of time Unfortunately to many people believe what they see on TV ie ER Gray's House to name a few. So like stated above please take the time to get certified in first aid because someties a good intention turns out hurting more JMHO

Cool AT Breeze
06-24-2010, 18:13
If soap and water, duct tape, and toilet paper aren't enough first aid supplies for your injury, you need to get to town anyway.
Best post on this thread. Keep it simple.

Kerosene
06-24-2010, 19:39
If soap and water, duct tape, and toilet paper aren't enough first aid supplies for your injury, you need to get to town anyway.Well, if you're bleeding profusely and direct pressure isn't enough to staunch the flow, then a QuikClot packet (http://www.rei.com/product/770184) augmented by duct tape to hold it in place could prove invaluable to avoid bleed-out.

Toilet paper isn't sufficiently absorbent in my opinion, so I'd bring a few large gauze pads also.

Beyond that, it's a matter of comfort (e.g., Benadryl, Aleve, SAM splint, et al) and infection prevention (e.g., Neosporin, tick tweezers) which will knock you off the trail eventually.

juma
06-29-2010, 05:13

cayeene pepper stops pretty darn heavy bleeding - not arterial, but most cuts scrapes, etc. I carry a baggy with may 15 grams in it. anyone can buy quick clot on the internet and that will stop arterial if applied properly.

The Solemates
06-29-2010, 09:45
we've never carried a first aid kit except for our one 23 day trip into the alaskan backcountry.

ShakeyLeggs
06-29-2010, 14:31
All you really need are basic first-aid items. Plus any meds you are prescribed. For more serious conditions use what you have with you in your pack.

Best advise I can give is if you need more than a basic first-aid kit then your trip is pretty much over.

twodifferentsocks
06-29-2010, 17:12
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocket_mask

Wise Old Owl
06-29-2010, 18:34
Interesting. I have to avoid ibuprofen because I'm allergic to it. I get stuffed sinuses when I take it, so I use Tylenol.

I would add Neosporin to the kit. The last one I bought didn't come with any, so I bought a small tube and stuffed it in.

FW

Stuffed sinus is better served with real sutafed.