PDA

View Full Version : REI's Dividend system is disappointing after a few years.

Wise Old Owl
03-27-2010, 14:43
I have to say my last dividend was $6. As much as I like REI over EMS as a store and as an internet supplier, once you pick up your big four and some laundry, there is little need to buy again until you wear something out or something really lighter comes along. So the pay off gets smaller and smaller as time goes on, and if you buy on sale or clearence - it doesn't count.

All I need this year is Soloman's that's it.

Frustrated.:mad:

wtmntcaretaker
03-27-2010, 15:11
dont forget about upgrades! maybe there is a lighter something you have been eyeing or maybe a new color or something more rugged?

Wise Old Owl
03-27-2010, 15:14
Uhh done that, there's three of everything in the basement.

ChrisFol
03-27-2010, 15:27
I have to say my last dividend was $6. As much as I like REI over EMS as a store and as an internet supplier, once you pick up your big four and some laundry, there is little need to buy again until you wear something out or something really lighter comes along. So the pay off gets smaller and smaller as time goes on, and if you buy on sale or clearence - it doesn't count.

True, but once you have picked up the big stuff, the $20 membership has already paid for itself. I tend to purchase a lot of Christmas and birthday gifts from REI which gives me a nice dividend come March.

Wise Old Owl
03-27-2010, 15:30
I understand that, but I have too much now. And you are right the membership paid for itself over and over again the first three years.

mudhead
03-27-2010, 15:37
Be glad you have access to one. Be a very long drive for me.

daibutsu
03-27-2010, 15:43
I am an admitted complainer and chronically find fault and problems where other are happy, I admit it!! I don't like REI, never did and never will. My reasoning, and tell me if I'm way off base here: Memberships, can't stand 'em-just work your (retailer) bottom line and put the price out there, non of this joining up crap. Order at the store, or on line, and get free delivery to the store. The very few times I went to REI, here at Rockville, MD, they didn't have what they advertised, how magnanimous that they can still order it and I can return to get it. Nope, it's essentially bait and switch where their benefit is you get to look around again and check out all the stuff (now two trips, to get what you originally went for). What is better than ordering something, and a company such as UPS drives down your street delivering things to you and your neighbors for a fair price? Good enironmentally, and good common sense.

REI is not a 'Mom and Pop,' REI is a mega operation, no different than GM, or Walmart, for that matter that capitalizes on an ever-decreasing carrot (dividends) on a longer stick (exemptions). The old Mom and Pop outfitters and cottage industries are competing with some feel-good false patriotism that REI instills when you pay them 20 bucks.

I don't get it, sure great return policy for bad decisions, everyone takes back defects.

Enlighten me..

springerfever
03-27-2010, 15:47
REI rocks !! Great return policy, scratch and dent sales, little dividend every year ! Who needs receipts when you buy at REI, they keep track of your purchases for you.

Particularly nice feeling when you walk-in, browse the latest and greatest, and walk-out without buying anything. Not because you're broke, but because you don't NEED anything !!

Egads
03-27-2010, 16:03
The very few times I went to REI, here at Rockville, MD, they didn't have what they advertised, how magnanimous that they can still order it and I can return to get it. Nope, it's essentially bait and switch where their benefit is you get to look around again and check out all the stuff (now two trips, to get what you originally went for)

I have a telephone, I bet you do too:-?

bullseye
03-27-2010, 16:12

Get yourself the REI Mastercard. You get dividend points on non REI purchases as well. I think last year all I bought was a couple of maps, and I still got $118.

Jeff
03-27-2010, 16:16
Uhh done that, there's three of everything in the basement.

Me too. Upgrades are one of the hazzards of being a section hiker. Every year I come home and try to explain to my wife why the latest and lightest is needed for next season !!!!!!

white_russian
03-27-2010, 16:20
my dividend this year is 80 cents. last year it was about $7.50 only because there was some error in the marking of my clearance merchandise. i am really only a member for the scratch and dent sales and super clearances.

Wise Old Owl
03-27-2010, 16:23
Jeff how's that working for you?... mines a bit like a volcano at times...

my dividend this year is 80 cents. last year it was about $7.50 only because there was some error in the marking of my clearance merchandise. i am really only a member for the scratch and dent sales and super clearances.

Hense the reason why I started the thread... unless you are willing to pay full price the dividend has limited benifit over time.

10-K
03-27-2010, 17:17
This is why I'd rather go with a place that has free shipping if your order is over a certain amount. Save the money now, why save it for later?

To me, the dividend deal is like having too much tax witheld from your check so you can get a big refund.

jesse
03-27-2010, 18:36

You have no need to make any major purchases. That's a good thing. Isn't it?

skinewmexico
03-27-2010, 18:38
Even worse when you don't use any of that heavy junk they sell anymore.

bulldog49
03-27-2010, 18:45
I am an admitted complainer and chronically find fault and problems where other are happy, I admit it!! I don't like REI, never did and never will. My reasoning, and tell me if I'm way off base here: Memberships, can't stand 'em-just work your (retailer) bottom line and put the price out there, non of this joining up crap. Order at the store, or on line, and get free delivery to the store. The very few times I went to REI, here at Rockville, MD, they didn't have what they advertised, how magnanimous that they can still order it and I can return to get it. Nope, it's essentially bait and switch where their benefit is you get to look around again and check out all the stuff (now two trips, to get what you originally went for). What is better than ordering something, and a company such as UPS drives down your street delivering things to you and your neighbors for a fair price? Good enironmentally, and good common sense.

REI is not a 'Mom and Pop,' REI is a mega operation, no different than GM, or Walmart, for that matter that capitalizes on an ever-decreasing carrot (dividends) on a longer stick (exemptions). The old Mom and Pop outfitters and cottage industries are competing with some feel-good false patriotism that REI instills when you pay them 20 bucks.

I don't get it, sure great return policy for bad decisions, everyone takes back defects.

Enlighten me..

Sounds to me you have a problem with Capitalism in general. Nothing to enlighten.

mykl
03-27-2010, 18:53
My reasoning, and tell me if I'm way off base here: Memberships, can't stand 'em-just work your (retailer) bottom line and put the price out there, non of this joining up crap.
Your not off base, I'm with you on that. Its just like the people you see with all those little plastic bar codes hanging from their key chains. Really? Just give me the damn sale price! I just ask the cashiers to put a generic card in anyway for the sale price, so I'm not helping there marketing anyway (which is a big part of their cards). A pet store by me gives you $20 store credit after you spend $400 on select merchandise, that is overpriced anyway. I don't fall for that, but I'm always surprised on how many people do.

mykl
03-27-2010, 18:54
Me too. Upgrades are one of the hazzards of being a section hiker. Every year I come home and try to explain to my wife why the latest and lightest is needed for next season !!!!!!

LOL, Yea I'm with you on that! TRY....

Mrs Baggins
03-27-2010, 21:29
We were pretty stunned to see our dividend on-line this year - - had no idea we'd spent that much. And then the paper statement arrived in the mail and another stunner...of the total we'd spent for the year, 1/4 of it was on sale items. We do buy a lot of clothing there. I buy things that are not hiking related but are great for overseas travel, which is something we do every year - jackets, tops, sweaters, travel skirts and more. I've only ordered from them on-line when we lived too far away from one to drive to it (like in South Carolina when we lived almost 3 hours from the nearest store). We have a "mom and pop" outfitter right here in town. They never have anything I want, they'll order but it'll take too long to get it, and they have a snotty attitude about browsing. My daughter and I were in there looking around one day and one of the owners was on the phone and told the person on the other end in a nice loud voice "We like customers who actually buy something, not just walk around looking." Well good bye so long farewell. I'll drive the distance to REI.

RedneckRye
03-27-2010, 22:13
The small shop where I work has a Reward Program for folks who walk in the door and spend money.

It is free, just give us your addresses and you are in, no membership required.
Once you've spent $1000, you get $100 in store credit. No one year time limit.
The reward does not apply to our internet sales or the folks that come in and ask that we match internet prices

I had a guy the other day straight up tell me that he was getting fitted for a pack at the shop because he knew we knew how to do pack fits, but he was going to make the purchase online to save a few dollars.
F him.

Spend all of your dollars at your local shop (not just gear - grocery, beer, hardwear, lunch, etc.), not the big ass chain store over by the off ramp.

white_russian
03-27-2010, 22:24
Spend all of your dollars at your local shop (not just gear - grocery, beer, hardwear, lunch, etc.), not the big ass chain store over by the off ramp.
Not going to happen. My local shop charges $6.50 for canister fuel when it is regularly $3.75-4 most elsewhere. When they are going to rape me on general supplies there is no way I am going to buy big stuff there. I don't mind paying a little extra, but 60% is too much

double d
03-27-2010, 23:24
REI is a co-op and the divided each year is great, no matter what the amount, its a great deal all around.

Egads
03-28-2010, 00:06
I've been able to turn my dividends, 20% off coupon, & saved gift cards into some sweet purchases over the years; a new pack for my son, half a bike for my wife, and a new hard shell jacket for me

Tinker
03-28-2010, 00:06

The membership dividend exists for one reason: to keep you coming back. If you want a bigger dividend, spend more money.
I hear what you're saying, though. All I managed to buy last year (without coupons) only netted me enough of a dividend to buy a pair of socks (which I do yearly, lately). I console myself with the knowledge that socks are the only thing that I regularly wear out.

Tinker
03-28-2010, 00:15
The small shop where I work has a Reward Program for folks who walk in the door and spend money.

It is free, just give us your addresses and you are in, no membership required.
Once you've spent $1000, you get $100 in store credit. No one year time limit.
The reward does not apply to our internet sales or the folks that come in and ask that we match internet prices

I had a guy the other day straight up tell me that he was getting fitted for a pack at the shop because he knew we knew how to do pack fits, but he was going to make the purchase online to save a few dollars.
F him.
He must have been some moron to let on that he was going to use you like that (stealing your time and expertise), only to spend his money elsewhere. Folks do that with bicycles, too. They come in for a fit, then buy Motobecanes or something else online. The difference is that bicycles are mechanical. A few months down the road they come back with their tails between their legs because their cranks have fallen off or the derailleur has gone into the spokes or the hubs, headset, etc. are loose. Then we tell them that our bikes come with a no charge tune up to retorque and readjust every moving part after the break-in period to assure that they won't have these problems. Then they know - too late! :rolleyes:

Absolutely (but my local places are REI and EMS, and I probably know - or can at least figure out what I need before setting foot in the store).

GGS2
03-28-2010, 01:13
I don't understand all the complaints. I would have thought all you capitalists would have it figured by now. REI, like MEC up here in Canada, is a co-op, and all you members are owners of the whole shebang. I'm a member of MEC, and all I expect from it is good gear, good service and good prices. Generally, that's what I get. Every so often they let me vote on the board, so I get to act like a stockholder as well. The dividends aren't large, but they help, too. But that's not why I joined. I joined because they are run by and for people like me who stock about everything I need, often when I can't get it conveniently elsewhere. If you don't like their policies, get involved and change them. You own the place. Also remember that both REI and MEC were started by climbers, and to some degree, that is still their bias. If you want them to cater to ultralight backpackers, and sell your favorite boutique brands, let them know, and turn them on to your favorite stuff. Who else is going to stock that stuff countrywide? They may need the cottage industry types to change, but the cottagers may change them, too.

echoes
03-28-2010, 01:50
I don't really understand the complaints either. Compared to other corporations REI treats their customers and members really well. Their employees have always been really friendly and helpful to me. Their return policy is great. And members get a dividend and 20% off coupon every year. Even if the dividend is small it's better than nothing.

Jim Adams
03-28-2010, 05:41
I've been able to turn my dividends, 20% off coupon, & saved gift cards into some sweet purchases over the years; a new pack for my son, half a bike for my wife, and a new hard shell jacket for me

...so how is the wife do'in on that unicycle?:D

geek

Rain Man
03-28-2010, 09:04
I am an admitted complainer and chronically find fault and problems where other are happy, I admit it!! ... Memberships, can't stand 'em.... Enlighten me..

You've registered for a "membership" in WhiteBlaze. Must like 'em good enough. No need to enlighten you; you explained it in that first sentence.

I paid $5 for my membership, over 30 years ago, and have just about earned every penny of it back, I do believe.

Rain:sunMan

bigcranky
03-28-2010, 09:11
Our regular REI dividend was about $4.00 this year, because when we do shop at REI, almost everything we buy is on sale and thus doesn't get a dividend.

However, our overall dividend was $365. We have the REI Visa card, put everything on it, and pay it off at the end of each month. Gas, travel, meals out, online purchases, even our kid's tuition.

Those sale items at REI get 5% back, and everything else gets 1% back. I'm not going to recommend that everyone go pile on the debt just for a larger dividend, but if you have the ability to pay off the card each month, and you don't already have a rewards card (like an airline miles card), this is a pretty good deal.

Mrs Baggins
03-28-2010, 10:01
I've been hearing and reading a lot lately about the "dangers" of getting any store's Visa or Mastercard (you know how department stores are always pushing them) because as soon as you get one your credit score will drop. I don't know the whys and wherefores, only that that seems to be current advice from money managers/credit people - anyone checked to see if that happened to them after getting an REI card?

double d
03-28-2010, 10:07
I don't understand all the complaints. I would have thought all you capitalists would have it figured by now. REI, like MEC up here in Canada, is a co-op, and all you members are owners of the whole shebang. I'm a member of MEC, and all I expect from it is good gear, good service and good prices. Generally, that's what I get. Every so often they let me vote on the board, so I get to act like a stockholder as well. The dividends aren't large, but they help, too. But that's not why I joined. I joined because they are run by and for people like me who stock about everything I need, often when I can't get it conveniently elsewhere. If you don't like their policies, get involved and change them. You own the place. Also remember that both REI and MEC were started by climbers, and to some degree, that is still their bias. If you want them to cater to ultralight backpackers, and sell your favorite boutique brands, let them know, and turn them on to your favorite stuff. Who else is going to stock that stuff countrywide? They may need the cottage industry types to change, but the cottagers may change them, too.

Great post, agree with you 1,000%,as I don't understand why shopping at a non co-op (of course without a divided check each year, voting rights and usually a couple of 20% dicount sales each year) would say other outdoor stores are better. But hey, thats just my opinion.

double d
03-28-2010, 10:10
I've been hearing and reading a lot lately about the "dangers" of getting any store's Visa or Mastercard (you know how department stores are always pushing them) because as soon as you get one your credit score will drop. I don't know the whys and wherefores, only that that seems to be current advice from money managers/credit people - anyone checked to see if that happened to them after getting an REI card?

Good question, as I got my REI Visa card last April, 2009. My credit score didn't change at all, therefore, I would highly recommend the REI card, as it adds another rebate to your REI purchases. But, remember also that the REI card has a higher interest rate no matter how good your credit history is. But of course don't carry a balance and no one gets charged for the interest, problem solved.

double d
03-28-2010, 10:13
Our regular REI dividend was about $4.00 this year, because when we do shop at REI, almost everything we buy is on sale and thus doesn't get a dividend.

However, our overall dividend was $365. We have the REI Visa card, put everything on it, and pay it off at the end of each month. Gas, travel, meals out, online purchases, even our kid's tuition.

Those sale items at REI get 5% back, and everything else gets 1% back. I'm not going to recommend that everyone go pile on the debt just for a larger dividend, but if you have the ability to pay off the card each month, and you don't already have a rewards card (like an airline miles card), this is a pretty good deal.

Good point Big Cranky, as I got the REI Visa card last April, 2009 and I just had my biggest divided check from REI this March. Couldn't believe the difference, as I charge everything on my REI card and just pay it off at the end of the month for anyone's usual expenses (food, gas, etc.).

Wise Old Owl
03-28-2010, 10:32
Hold on, Woo is complaining? not me, I am pointing out for discussion a fault of REI's in their incentive system, even 20 percent off or helping cleaning out their clearance area shoud count to the dividend. $6 would be spent in shipping or driving to the store...in gas.

There is a point of saturation and Ive got it. What I am saying is IF you are frugal and know all the cat codes and know how to shop, the dividend system over time doen't work for some.

white_russian
03-28-2010, 10:43
The REI card is just the same as any other Visa or Mastercard and will affect your credit in the same way. You might be thinking about something like store only cards like the JC Penney card that is only good at one store.

Now as far as the rewards side of the REI card, it is not that great for everyday purchases. 1% is ok, but you are locked into spending it at REI.
Unless the only thing you ever do is backpack there are better affinity cards out there.

bigcranky
03-28-2010, 11:04
Now as far as the rewards side of the REI card, it is not that great for everyday purchases. 1% is ok, but you are locked into spending it at REI.

Not true. If you can hold out until summer, REI will send you a check. We did that last year and used the money to buy a winter sleeping bag for my wife (a brand that REI didn't carry.)

Mrs Baggins
03-28-2010, 11:07
The REI card is just the same as any other Visa or Mastercard and will affect your credit in the same way. You might be thinking about something like store only cards like the JC Penney card that is only good at one store.

Unless the only thing you ever do is backpack there are better affinity cards out there.

Of course. I hadn't realized it is a Visa card, not a department store's "use only here" card. :)

white_russian
03-28-2010, 11:15
Not true. If you can hold out until summer, REI will send you a check. We did that last year and used the money to buy a winter sleeping bag for my wife (a brand that REI didn't carry.)
ok, but you are still only getting 1%. if you are happy with 1% you can get it a lot faster with Discover Cashback. Of course if you look at flyertalk.com you can find better earning options. I have a affinity card from an airline and my last redemption was at 3.3%.

Fiddleback
03-28-2010, 11:49

Percentage vs. absolute total. Ya' want more? Then spend more.:D But that's kinda like getting a big tax return...it's not necessarily a reflection of good financial management.:-?

FB

goedde2
03-31-2010, 09:30
You may consider using REI's Visa card. I just got back $212.37, used my 20% coupon, and walked out with a $400 Arcteryx Altra 75 for $109.00 and change. Now I can finally turn over my Bora 80, built like a tank, and practically indistructible, monster pack, and hopefully get at least that much when I sell it, and break even. I think that works for me.

Roland
04-17-2010, 20:36
Does REI send a 1099 for your dividend?

Turtle Feet
04-17-2010, 21:20
I'll second (or fourth) the REI Visa. I put EVERYTHING on that card! I pay off my balance every month and I'd be embarassed to tell you the size of my dividends. I went in the Brookfield, WI location a couple of weeks back on the members weekend. I only had one item, and when I got to the register the gal asked if I'd used my coupon yet, I said, "no, but can I also put some of my dividend toward the balance?". She says, "ok, let's see if you have enough to cover...". When she pulled up the balance I thought her eyeballs would pop out.

I paid $20 roughly 15 years ago - my annual shopping spree has made it more than worthwhile.

Wise Old Owl
04-17-2010, 21:34

No

The message is too short Please stretch your thoughts through the continuum.

Wise Old Owl
04-17-2010, 21:39
To end the thread I got to the store tried on the Solomons got a 20% discount off $120 and took the 6 bucks off as well, not bad.

I like these shoes as they are light weight and dry quickly. I dont pick rocks when crossing streams, I wade to cut time and it works.

nitewalker
04-17-2010, 22:06
I'll second (or fourth) the REI Visa. I put EVERYTHING on that card! I pay off my balance every month and I'd be embarassed to tell you the size of my dividends. I went in the Brookfield, WI location a couple of weeks back on the members weekend. I only had one item, and when I got to the register the gal asked if I'd used my coupon yet, I said, "no, but can I also put some of my dividend toward the balance?". She says, "ok, let's see if you have enough to cover...". When she pulled up the balance I thought her eyeballs would pop out.

I paid $20 roughly 15 years ago - my annual shopping spree has made it more than worthwhile.

kudos to you ! i do the exact same thing with my rei visa and any of the other cards i have. the key is to pay off the balance every month so that your not giving them money. once you carry the balance you start to give them loot. this takes away from what your dividend could really be.i know what my dividend and rewards amount to each year and i do pretty swell. im sure you smile all the way to the outfitter and home:D....i just got a shiny new GG vapor trail for 0 $$$$$...:D

Skidsteer
04-17-2010, 22:55

No

That's beacause it's not a dividend. It's a partial refund of an overpayment. Kinda like a "mutual insurance policy".

:)

Roland
04-18-2010, 01:33

No

That's beacause it's not a dividend. It's a partial refund of an overpayment.:)

After posting my question, I read the fine print on REI's "dividend" policy FAQ. You are exactly right; what they call a dividend is actually a refund of an overpayment. That's why no 1099 is required. It's not earnings at all.

Buy a membership and REI promises a 10% discount on full-price merchandise. But the discount does not apply at the time of purchase. REI charges full price, and holds member discounts for up to 15 months (longer if you don't redeem your dividend, immediately upon receipt). The overpayments are returned to customers once a year, in March.

By purchasing a membership, you are allowing REI to hold your money, interest-free, for more than a year. In 2009, REI returned $80.7 million to their customers; an 80.7 million dollar loan from its members, interest-free.

Customers think they're getting a deal. That's pretty slick marketing.

mkmangold
04-18-2010, 02:11
I just like to look (reminiscent of "Being There!") BUT... I seem to pick up a few little things whenever I get there even though my "big four" is set. Sometimes I get a headlamp a little lighter than the one before or even a cooking utensil that does double-duty. Can't hurt to try new ideas.

Franco
04-18-2010, 05:20
mkmangold
Being there.
Did you know that Peter Sellers based the character "Chance the Gardner' on Stan Laurel ?
Peter Sellers often based his screen characters on famous people. Stan was one of his favourites.
(sorry about the shift)
Franco

Wise Old Owl
04-19-2010, 08:53
You may consider using REI's Visa card. I just got back $212.37, used my 20% coupon, and walked out with a $400 Arcteryx Altra 75 for $109.00 and change. Now I can finally turn over my Bora 80, built like a tank, and practically indistructible, monster pack, and hopefully get at least that much when I sell it, and break even. I think that works for me.

Although that is a great idea, my wife would kill me if I did that.:eek:

garlic08
04-19-2010, 09:07
Another vote for that credit card. I hardly ever shop at REI any more (my "dividend" from purchases last year was $0.80), but I sure use the Visa card. It means a new jacket free every year. One year I was working in the field, bending company rules and charging truck and travel expenses on my personal REI card, making every payment, pushing five figures some months. My dividend that year was over $800! I waited until July and cashed that one out.

The card is also distinctive enough to notice the graphics. I've met some nice people in check-out lines when I see their REI cards or they've noticed mine.

double d
04-19-2010, 11:04
After posting my question, I read the fine print on REI's "dividend" policy FAQ. You are exactly right; what they call a dividend is actually a refund of an overpayment. That's why no 1099 is required. It's not earnings at all.

Buy a membership and REI promises a 10% discount on full-price merchandise. But the discount does not apply at the time of purchase. REI charges full price, and holds member discounts for up to 15 months (longer if you don't redeem your dividend, immediately upon receipt). The overpayments are returned to customers once a year, in March.

By purchasing a membership, you are allowing REI to hold your money, interest-free, for more than a year. In 2009, REI returned $80.7 million to their customers; an 80.7 million dollar loan from its members, interest-free.

Customers think they're getting a deal. That's pretty slick marketing.
Really? A "80.7 million dollar loan"? Thats an interesting spin on REI's accounting system, because it certainly isn't a "loan" as you indicate. So...does Wal-Mart, Target, Jewel, etc. offer such a deal? NO. Sure its capitalism to get us to spend our money, but REI is not only giving its members a check each year, its also one of the best corporations in this country. Can't say that about alot of companies.

bigcranky
04-19-2010, 11:44

If you want to look at it that way, fine.

But when I buy something for full price at my local outfitter, they keep ALL my money FOREVER.

Dobie Swift
04-19-2010, 11:55
I got an idea... stop buying from REI and leave those of us who are perfectly happy with the company, their products, and their dividend system more merchandise to save money on.

Jeeze, some people will complain about ANYTHING.

Wise Old Owl
04-19-2010, 12:02
I got an idea... stop buying from REI and leave those of us who are perfectly happy with the company, their products, and their dividend system more merchandise to save money on.

Jeeze, some people will complain about ANYTHING.

You totally missed the point Dobie, This is a discussion, not a complaint, in past years I am a big advocate of REI here on this site. In fact I was shopping there Saturday and dropped another hundred dollars.

10-K
04-19-2010, 12:16
I have no ax to grind with REI - fine company.

But, you have to remember to factor sales tax into the equation.... Since they have a physical location in NC, they charge me NC sales tax - that kills 77.5% of any dividend anyway...

Backcountry and campsaver among others do not charge sales tax and if you're purchase happens to be between $50 and $74.99 you can avoid shipping costs as well by purchasing from someone other than REI.

Point being, look at the total cost of what you're paying for something - not just a discount off the list price.

Yukon
04-19-2010, 12:25
You totally missed the point Dobie, This is a discussion, not a complaint, in past years I am a big advocate of REI here on this site. In fact I was shopping there Saturday and dropped another hundred dollars.

I was there Saturday as well, at the West Hartford CT location since it's the closest one to me. Picked up a new pair of Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra GTX trail runners for peak bagging :)

Wise Old Owl
04-19-2010, 13:02
I am not sure its a big difference, three weeks ago I think there was three to choose from, when I got there Saturday, only the XA COMP 4GTX was available..

Hey I'm happy.

WI_Mike
01-10-2011, 17:40
If it was $20 per year I'd understand the complaint, but it's $20 lifetime. I still do my research and some stuff there is still way overpriced. But for some stuff it's worth it and REI actually has stuff cheaper when they have their sales and by paying the $20 you get the coupons which can also save you over what other places charge. So do your research on what you buy and if REI's not the cheapest don't buy it there. But in some cases they actually are.

sbhikes
01-10-2011, 17:44

I don't get it. You get a big dividend if you spend a lot of money. You don't get a big dividend if you don't spend a lot of money. So you are coming out ahead because you aren't spending money needlessly on stuff you don't need. I don't see any problem at all here.

10-K
01-10-2011, 17:47
Did anyone besides me get a $20 gift certificate via email from backcountry.com out of the blue and unannounced the week of Christmas?

I did, and some guys on backpackinglight.com did as well but I didn't see it come up here.

It was a nice surprise.

Green
01-10-2011, 17:47
I let me friends use my customer number if they want. Works out for me :) They never care if someone else uses your # in the store so i figure it shouldnt matter online.

G.

Mrs Baggins
01-11-2011, 06:40
I let me friends use my customer number if they want. Works out for me :) They never care if someone else uses your # in the store so i figure it shouldnt matter online.

G.

I have the same arrangement with a friend. She shops at REI for winter clothing but doesn't care about the membership or dividends so she "gives" me her purchases.

As for being disappointed with a small dividend - you get back based on what you spend. Is REI supposed to send you a big check just for showing up now and then? We use them for things other than hiking/camping items. My daughter is having a baby and wanted a BOB Revolution stroller. I found it at REI, bought it and I'll get the dividend advantage for it. My husband wanted a down jacket that was not as thin or light (or as expensive) as his Montbell, to wear while he's living in Montreal. Found the perfect one at REI.

We've been members since 1993. It's one of my very favorite stores in the world. :D

BradMT
01-11-2011, 09:41

I became an REI Member in 1975... it's something you do once and forget about. It's there when you need it, doesn't go away if you don't. I likely went through the entire 1980's and never used my Membership once. Big Deal.

The dividend is only one aspect of a Membership...

BradMT
01-11-2011, 09:45

Hope that works out for you... the Altra 75 was likely the most uncomfortable pack I've had on my back in nearly 30 years. Fortunately I bought mine at REI and they took it back. First time I've ever brought an item back to REI, ever.

My Bora 80 is staying...

skinewmexico
01-11-2011, 11:05
I became an REI Member in 1975... it's something you do once and forget about.

Beat you - 1973.

Wise Old Owl
01-11-2011, 11:12
I don't get it. You get a big dividend if you spend a lot of money. You don't get a big dividend if you don't spend a lot of money. So you are coming out ahead because you aren't spending money needlessly on stuff you don't need. I don't see any problem at all here.

This is an old thread, and the dividend does not work if you spend a lot of money in the Outlet or if the item is on sale.

I moved past this folks - I support cottage manufacture 1st... REI second EMS third and I avoid Dicks & Sport Authority.

Big Dawg
01-11-2011, 11:15
the return policy alone is worth the 1-time membership fee.

the goat
01-11-2011, 11:22

unless you're one of those people that habitually collect gear, it's not that great of a deal. you can always find cheaper stuff elsewhere.

Wise Old Owl
01-12-2011, 16:35
You are right and I got frugal.

TheChop
01-12-2011, 16:52
I'd rather go with a place like Moosejaw where I get 10% back in points, free shipping and better prices. Every time I go into REI they seem to have more REI branded stuff and less and less other brands. I'm sure REI makes some great stuff but I tend to research and buy specific products so it's a bit of a bummer to have nearly the entire clothing selection be REI.

Sly
01-12-2011, 17:01
For $20 it's worth the membership to get the 20% off several times a year for big ticket items like GPS, bikes, cargo carriers etc. Otherwise, some of their clothing is nice, trail shoes, socks, pots, stoves etc.

Skidsteer
01-12-2011, 17:56
For $20 it's worth the membership to get the 20% off several times a year for big ticket items like GPS, bikes, cargo carriers etc. Otherwise, some of their clothing is nice, trail shoes, socks, pots, stoves etc.

Yep, the membership pays for itself just by using the 20% discounts for socks.

Sly
01-12-2011, 18:37
Yep, the membership pays for itself just by using the 20% discounts for socks.

I love the feel of new socks in the morning. ;)

Mrs Baggins
01-12-2011, 19:12
I use them to buy travel clothes for our overseas trips - comfortable, easy care, versatile and fashionable. I got another friend to start going there for her travel clothing. The skirts, blouses and dresses are great travel clothing.

redseal
01-12-2011, 19:55
First, I do not have the REI VISA card and have not looked into much of the details, but from what I gather based on the comments in this thread...it looks like you get 1% back for all purchases. That money can then be used to purchase items at REI. You receive that money once a year.

If the above is true (or even partly true) the card does not make any sense. Go get a credit card such as the Chase Freedom card (there are many other cards as well, just using this one as an example). You get more money back 3% typical, 1% minimum, and 5% for promotions (+1). You can redeem the money at any time, you do not have to wait a year (+2). If you are so inclined to shop at REI, use that cash back to buy something at REI. Or use it anywhere else such as EMS when they are having a better sale (+3). Oh and doing this way, you will still essentially get 3% back from the sale purchase as EMS (+4)!

STICK
01-12-2011, 20:03
Did anyone besides me get a $20 gift certificate via email from backcountry.com out of the blue and unannounced the week of Christmas?

I did, and some guys on backpackinglight.com did as well but I didn't see it come up here.

It was a nice surprise.

I did. I even posted about it on my blog...

http://stick13.wordpress.com/2010/12/23/backcountry-com-gave-me-free-money/

As far as the REI membership...$20/lifetime...not too shabby. My return this year will be well over that, and not to mention the coupons. I am happy with it. My problem now is that I am looking more into the UL cottage shops and they don't take REI dividends... :) So, next year I probably won't get as much of a dividend, but that's fine...

Sly
01-12-2011, 21:12
This is why I'd rather go with a place that has free shipping if your order is over a certain amount. Save the money now, why save it for later?

REI members now get free shipping with orders over $75, and of course free shipping to their nearest store. Also good for Outlet.

First, I do not have the REI VISA card and have not looked into much of the details, but from what I gather based on the comments in this thread...it looks like you get 1% back for all purchases. That money can then be used to purchase items at REI. You receive that money once a year.

If the above is true (or even partly true)

You've been somewhat hasty. It's 1% for any purchases and 5% for all REI items including sale items, gift cards and trips.

Wise Old Owl
01-14-2011, 22:34
I'd rather go with a place like Moosejaw where I get 10% back in points, free shipping and better prices. Every time I go into REI they seem to have more REI branded stuff and less and less other brands. I'm sure REI makes some great stuff but I tend to research and buy specific products so it's a bit of a bummer to have nearly the entire clothing selection be REI.

Theres loads to choose from and I like the REI branded stuff as it can be lighter or better, (sleeping bags)

SassyWindsor
01-14-2011, 22:47
I never got a dividend check, but the money I saved from their "Scratch & Dent" sales, where a membership is required, has been a tremendous savings, as well as fun to attend.

Bucherm
01-15-2011, 08:15
I never got a dividend check, but the money I saved from their "Scratch & Dent" sales, where a membership is required, has been a tremendous savings, as well as fun to attend.

Syupid question, but seeing your location...

How are you taking advantage of said Scratch & Dent sales? :-?

Wise Old Owl
01-19-2011, 00:35
Thats easy a mailer or email goes out to frequent customers. The store closes and they rollout the back area and reopen to a select list of customers and blow out the returns.

Franco
01-19-2011, 02:25
never knew REI had a store in London..
Franco

Bucherm
01-19-2011, 05:12
never knew REI had a store in London..
Franco

This was essentially the point I was trying to make.

Franco
01-19-2011, 16:28
Yes I got that, someone else didn't...
Franco

10-K
01-19-2011, 16:48
Yes I got that, someone else didn't...
Franco

You can say you're from anywhere..

Fiddlehead is in Thailand but his WB location says PA.