PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Garmin Series... oh boy

Wise Old Owl
03-27-2010, 17:11
I have no idea where to start, when you drop $300-$400 dollars on a Garmin, and up load the AT into it you would think it should be easy...
Even after a total reset, this unit has both a learning curve and poor visability in avg. Sun.

The Old Fhart
03-27-2010, 17:27
I own a Garmin 60CSx and while geocaching one bright sunny day I met another geocacher going to the same cache who had the Garmin Oregon. We were comparing coordinates and I noticed that his touchscreen newer Oregon was noticeably dimmer and harder to see in the sunlight than my 60CSx right beside his. My theory is that the overlay to convert a LCD to a touchscreen makes the screen that much harder to see. I'll take the buttons and good visibility any day.

As to the learning curve, it can be steep on any of the GPS receivers and does take some time.

Wise Old Owl
03-27-2010, 21:07
Yea that was my thought - down grade and be happy.

Mountain Wildman
03-27-2010, 21:50
I've been looking at the Delorme PN30, Read good reviews on it.

fiddlehead
03-27-2010, 23:06
I use my 60CSX a LOT!
It is so practical.
I have been in boats in the fog (not driving) and helped the skipper with it
I have driven through Bangkok and it told me what lane (out of 8 to choose from) that I should be in for any upcoming turns. It knows all the one way streets.
I have created routes on Google Earth, transferred them to it and went out and followed them (this is what i use it for mostly)
And I have found many shortcuts to places that i travel to a lot. Some work, some don't but I've now travelled on more terrain than anyone else out of the half million people on this island. (Phuket, Thailand)

How could they improve it?
I don't know although I still get confused in the track page and wish I could show 4 or 5 different tracks on the map at the same time. (including the one I am creating at the present time)
But, that would probably only cause the learning curve to be worse.

The only other thing i don't always like is when I'm taking a break, it wanders around in circles. I realize this is the error put into it by our government but it makes for some confusion sometimes.

Wise Old Owl
03-28-2010, 09:22
I use my 60CSX a LOT!
It is so practical.
I have been in boats in the fog (not driving) and helped the skipper with it
I have driven through Bangkok and it told me what lane (out of 8 to choose from) that I should be in for any upcoming turns. It knows all the one way streets.
I have created routes on Google Earth, transferred them to it and went out and followed them (this is what i use it for mostly)
And I have found many shortcuts to places that i travel to a lot. Some work, some don't but I've now travelled on more terrain than anyone else out of the half million people on this island. (Phuket, Thailand)

How could they improve it?
I don't know although I still get confused in the track page and wish I could show 4 or 5 different tracks on the map at the same time. (including the one I am creating at the present time)
But, that would probably only cause the learning curve to be worse.

The only other thing i don't always like is when I'm taking a break, it wanders around in circles. I realize this is the error put into it by our government but it makes for some confusion sometimes.

The error was turned off some time ago, so our troups could use less expensive ones in the field. The wandering you see is caused by atmosphere.

Mr. Magoo
03-28-2010, 12:45
I'm just the opposite in that I sold my 60CS for an Oregon and love it. While there is, for me, a minute tradeoff in screen visibility, I like the touch screen. Much faster. The Oregon has faster satellite acquisition and much more flexibility with the map manipulation.

YMMV

Wise Old Owl
03-28-2010, 21:16
I'm just the opposite in that I sold my 60CS for an Oregon and love it. While there is, for me, a minute tradeoff in screen visibility, I like the touch screen. Much faster. The Oregon has faster satellite acquisition and much more flexibility with the map manipulation.

YMMV

Well I agree with what you say, I got out today and bushwacked with it, and I didn't turn on any features yet. So it was a good day. I am trying the loading right now.

Wise Old Owl
03-28-2010, 22:57
Turns out one can import from the free version of Google Earth to see the hike on GE!

Tools>GPS> select Garmin and import!

Wise Old Owl
05-02-2010, 14:57
SO what do they do issue a new model the 450!

RollingStone
05-06-2010, 10:09
That tends to happen with electronics these days. Constant upgrades, etc.

On your mapping software, you can also consider going to www.everytrail.com - and downloading someone else's hikes and routes in GPX format - then import them into your software. From there you can make a custom map then transfer it to your device. It's quite handy when searching for a new hike in a new area.

Wise Old Owl
05-08-2010, 17:41
Thanks Rolling Stone - great site wow!

RollingStone
05-10-2010, 11:25
You're welcome!