PDA

View Full Version : Trail Map Magic App for iPhone

Ashman
03-27-2010, 17:28
I've done a search for "trail map app" and "trail map magic" and didn't get any hits. Sorry if this has ben asked before. Has anyone used the AT Map app for iphone by the company trail map magic llc? They list whiteblaze on their site so I thought there might be some info.

Johnny Swank
03-29-2010, 14:30
I might grab one of the sections later this week and play with it. If anything, it may be a decent backup to having paper maps/info. They should do a Thru-hiker's Special for all of them at a reduced rate, but even at $2/each, that's not a bad deal.

Ashman
04-14-2010, 17:02
bump

anyone else know about this app?

Ashman
05-08-2010, 10:29
another bump

Ranc0r
05-08-2010, 11:16
Sorry, Droid owner here. :cool:

I'm just guessing that most thru hikers don't carry iPhones for 2100 miles. Too heavy, needs constant recharging, spotty at best reception except in towns, where they have land lines too. Calling card is a lot lighter.

Granted, breaking your cell provider contract to go hiking is an added expense, and most people forking out $80+ a month aren't going to leave their toy at home for 6 months. Kroger has a deal where buying groceries gets you free minutes on an iWireless phone - as little as $20 plus your resupply business.

Or just carry a cannon ball in your pack, and smirk in smug superiority over those pedestrians without hi-tech aerodynamic ordinance keeping your sleeping bag tightly packed. ;)

Hike your own hike, call your family often - don't want any adventures out there now, do we?

Ranc0r

fw2008
05-08-2010, 12:06
While I would consider it a worthwhile use of an iPone, I don't think there are enough hikers using them to make writing an app for hikers profitable, and that's what technology is all about, isn't it?

I own an older Garmin GPSMAP 60CS, but I am not planning to carry it on an AT Thru-Hike. I don't own an AT map for that device, and as Ranc0r stated, they require constant recharging to keep them going.
My Garmin does run on AA alkalines, but considering that I want to be as environmentally friendly as I can on a TH, I wouldn't be using any throw-away batteries.

My choice is to have the AT Data Book, and if necessary, ATC trail maps for sections I think I would need them.

FW