PDA

View Full Version : Info for NY Section 11

fw2008
03-27-2010, 19:53
I'm not sure how useful this info is, but I found something that is not in the AT Data book, or the AT Thru-Hiker's Companion.

The Data book 2010 lists the two PO near the trail at 90.1mi from DWG.
Arden, NY, 10910 0.7m W, and Southfields, NY, 10975, 2.1m E.
Also East are lodging, grocery, and meals at varying distances. See the Data or Companion books.

But the thing that the books do not mention is the train station.
There is a station at Harriman, NY about 2.2m W. Go past Arden, and another 1.5m (approx dist).
Trains run to NYC via Secaucus Jct, Hoboken and to Port Jervis. Some trains also make stops in NJ along the route.
You can get scheds at: http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/r0020.pdf

Also note: In case you're looking at an older copy of AT Thru-Hiker's Companion as I am (2003), the Red Apple Rest in Southfields has been closed since 2006.

FW

Arden
03-27-2010, 20:55
Yea; Unless Metro North and/or NJT cut out those trains, or even close the Harriman station.
Both RR's are talking about serious service cuts.
But then, Harriman has lots of parking, so it is a good station. I've heard that it's half empty most weekdays though.

A

Dirty Nails
04-06-2010, 21:23
Yes, indeed, less than 1 mi. southbound of NY Rt17 & I-87(NYS Thruway) you could take the blue-blazed "Sapphire Trail". This trail is perhaps 2mi. long, and exits the park in plain sight of the Harriman RR Sta. across the street.
Also, you could pick up the MTA train in Peekskill, NY, just on the east side of the Hudson River (2 mi. south of the Bear Mnt. Bridge, I think that's the Hudson Riv. line). Then there's another train near the NY-Ct. border that stops right on the A/T. Weekends/holidays only. I believe that's the Harlem line.
These all go to Manhattan.

fw2008
04-06-2010, 23:46
Yes, indeed, less than 1 mi. southbound of NY Rt17 & I-87(NYS Thruway) you could take the blue-blazed "Sapphire Trail". This trail is perhaps 2mi. long, and exits the park in plain sight of the Harriman RR Sta. across the street.
Also, you could pick up the MTA train in Peekskill, NY, just on the east side of the Hudson River (2 mi. south of the Bear Mnt. Bridge, I think that's the Hudson Riv. line). Then there's another train near the NY-Ct. border that stops right on the A/T. Weekends/holidays only. I believe that's the Harlem line.
These all go to Manhattan.
I think you've covered all the RR stations.
I would rather take one of the trains to the trail than leave my car for a week or more in Harriman, or Suffern NY. I also think I might try to hike from Arden, near the Harriman station north through Harriman Park, Across the BMB, up past Anthony's nose and past Peekskill, Shenandoah Mountain (copy cats:D) Past Taconic, to the MNCR station at Pawling NY.

This is a 63 mile hike. Good for about 7 days I guess. Train to Train.

Eventually, I would like to hike the NY & NY sections from Bear Mountain Inn to DWG. Again, I would like to take public transport.

If I can do several of the 7+ day hikes, then I might consider myself ready to try a thru-hike by next March. Have to see how the money is holding out <g>

FW

aireeca
04-12-2010, 14:05
Has anyone done hike between the Metro North train stop at Bear Mountain (Manitou) to the Appalachian Trail stop? That looks like it could be really interesting.

sasquatch2014
04-12-2010, 20:42
Has anyone done hike between the Metro North train stop at Bear Mountain (Manitou) to the Appalachian Trail stop? That looks like it could be really interesting.

I know the area pretty well if you have questions give a shout out.

Arden
04-20-2010, 11:18
I know the area pretty well if you have questions give a shout out.
You have to remember that the AT stop on the Harlem div is weekends & holidays only, and train times are limited.
It is north of the "Southeast" station, and many trains terminate there.
I suppose if you reach the station at an inconvenient time, you could get a taxi to take you south to Southeast station and get a train home from there.

Arden

fw2008
04-20-2010, 11:28
While on the subject of train to train hikes, I've got another one I would love to do.
Take Amtrak's Ethan Allen Express to Rutland, VT. Get a ride to the AT crossing on US 4 in Killington.
Hike north through VT to White River Junction, then take Amtrak home from there.
The trail crosses the Connecticut river into NH about 5mi north of White River Jct, and you should be able to get a taxi, or just hike from there to the train station.

FW

sasquatch2014
04-20-2010, 15:24
You have to remember that the AT stop on the Harlem div is weekends & holidays only, and train times are limited.
It is north of the "Southeast" station, and many trains terminate there.
I suppose if you reach the station at an inconvenient time, you could get a taxi to take you south to Southeast station and get a train home from there.

Arden

Yes the train has limited and weekend or holiday only service to the AT it's self but the other stops on the line are only a few miles either north or south.

As far as Southeast goes that is the end of the line for electric service but the trains transfer there and continue on up the line and run on a very full schedule at rush hour times every half hour or so and off peak it's about once an hour until very late at night. Ask anyone who has ever spent the night on the porch of Native Landscapes on Rt 22 they seem like they run all night long. I think the last one rolls by around 2am and they start again around 5 am.

Arden
04-23-2010, 00:27
Yes the train has limited and weekend or holiday only service to the AT it's self but the other stops on the line are only a few miles either north or south.

As far as Southeast goes that is the end of the line for electric service but the trains transfer there and continue on up the line and run on a very full schedule at rush hour times every half hour or so and off peak it's about once an hour until very late at night. Ask anyone who has ever spent the night on the porch of Native Landscapes on Rt 22 they seem like they run all night long. I think the last one rolls by around 2am and they start again around 5 am.
OK. Thanks for clearing that up. I've never been up the Harlem line.
I wonder is the cops in GCT give hikers any hassle with their packs.
I've been through there with my camera pack, but it's very small.
They might want to inspect a backpack or day pack. I guess it would be wise to arrive somewhat early for your train.

Arden

sasquatch2014
04-23-2010, 07:47
I haven't heard of any the hikers who have gone into the city for visits having any issues but that is not to say that it couldn't happen so just be prepared.

LIhikers
04-27-2010, 20:13
You can also get to/from NYC by bus in Sloatsburg.
From there you walk up route 17 to where the AT crosses or duck into Harriman State Park and there are some trails to take. I don't have my maps handy so I can't tell you which ones.

eric j
04-28-2010, 07:42
Thats pretty much what FW described, remember also Manitou is very limited service, Garrison maybe 3 miles north has stops every hour:sun