PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick my layers for this trip...

Bster13
03-27-2010, 20:58
Will be in the Adirondacks on late April. Weather.com averages say Hi 53, Lo 31.

I'll be hiking 40 miles over 3 days w/ friends. It's been so long since I've done something like this, I need some advice from others on what clothes you'd expect to be wearing while hiking and while in camp. (I will be sleeping in a Marmot Helium down bag rated to 16.2F).

I will have at my disposal:

-EMS nylon zip off pants (?oz http://tinyurl.com/y9xjehv)
-Various thickness poly tights and long underwear (?oz)
-EMS Techwich long sleeve, lightweight and midweight shirts/pullovers.(oz?)
-Very light fleece pullover, 200 weight fleece pullover)
-EMS Techwich short sleeve, lightweight T-shirts.(?oz)
-EMS Ascent 800 Fill down, long sleeve sweater (11.6 oz)
-Montane Featherlite Smock/Windshirt (3.5oz http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8nrL_Mh3D8)
-Golite Poncho/Tarp (10oz plus seam sealing + guy lines. Will also be my shelter)
-Fleece hat. (?oz)
-Lightweight gloves to full on expedition mittens. (?oz)
-Poly underwear briefs. (?oz)
-MLD Spectralite .60 rain chaps. (1.4oz)
-Cabella's down underwear (13.4oz)

Thanks!

ChrisFol
03-27-2010, 22:09
Clothing worn:

-EMS Techwich, LS LW top
-EMS Zipoffs
-Poly briefs
-Socks
-Sun hat
-Trail runners

In the pack I would carry:
-EMS Techwich LS midweight top (not necessary)
-Montaine Windshirt
-EMS down sweater
-Fleece hat
-Fleece gloves
-Rain pants, if rain expected
-Rain coat, if rain expected
-MidWt long underwear if you sleep cold.
-Spare socks and underwear if that is your preference.

Snowleopard
03-28-2010, 19:13
-Rain pants, if rain expected
-Rain coat, if rain expected

Ha! It never rains in the ADK (actually it might even snow or rain or sleet or ...).
Ask at one of the forums at: http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/
and check conditions there closer to when you're leaving. Depending on where you're going and the weather, you might even need snowshoes.

Bster13
03-28-2010, 22:30
Thanks very much snowleopard. I'll post up there when the date gets closer.

I slept outside last night in the following:

-GoLite Poncho/Tarp pitched w/ 3 sides down: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2080502&id=17506531&l=6b18dcad1f (well almost three sides, at 5-9, I had to use guy lines to life the end w/ my feet a bit for clearance.)
-Window Insulation film (polycro).
-Marmot Atom 43.2F down bag.
-Silk sleeping bag liner.
-Neo-Air Shortie.
-Poly tights.
-Midweight merino wool socks.
-Techwich lightweight LS shirt.
-EMS Ascent 800Fill down sweater.
-Fleece hat.

Well the temps dropped to 30 degrees last night. My upper body was fine with the down sweater laying on top of the Neo Air, but my lower body got to me eventually w/ only tights and no insulation from the cold ground. (my silnylon bag was under me, but w/ nothing in it.)

I possibly could use my summer bag for this trip and save some weight if I had some leaves under my legs or pine bows. I might also bite the bullet and bring my EMS 700fill down booties. I can't help it, I sleep cold! :datz

Any tips or tricks to keep my lower half a bit warmer? Maybe a Tyvek half/bivy? How much warmth would that add?

Tinker
03-28-2010, 22:46
Cut a small piece of closed cell foam for your feet and legs. Use it as a sit pad during rest/lunch stops. Carry a down jacket and stuff your feet into it. These are things I did when I did the "ul" thing.

JAK
03-29-2010, 02:31
Never mind the average high and average low. I would find out the extreme lowest temperature you might possibly encounter, during the day and during the night? I would have enough insulative clothing, not counting shoes and shells, to be comfortable sitting up for awhile before having to get up and move around. For me this works out to be 1 ounce for every degF below 85F. About 5 pounds of clothing for 5F, and about 4 pounds of clothing for 21F. Still around 4 pounds of clothing for above and below freezing with freezing rain or melting snow.

ChrisFol
03-29-2010, 02:32
I second Tinker's advice.

There should be no real need for down booties-- either add a small piece of CCF padding under your legs at night or ditch the neo air completely and get a full length Ridgerest-deluxe for 19oz and an increase in R-value. Also consider wearing dress or ankle socks at night for minimal weight-warmth.

NB: remember the old adage, if your feet are cold-- put a hat on.

JAK
03-29-2010, 02:43
A mix of wool and fleece/synthetics is best for that sort of stuff. Keep the wool on, and vary the fleece/synthetics. You should be fairly evenly covered when wearing it all at once, but can delayer unevenly when hiking in average conditions, which will be most of the time. Usually this means wool sweater, hiking shorts with or without synthetic leggings, thin or medium wool socks, and your wool hat, wool necky, and wool mitts coming off and going on as you go up and down hills. Wind shell is handy when stopping for a break. Other layers tend to be quite packable. Rain poncho/tarp works well for me. Sometimes I carry rain pants and somtimes I don't. Hard to find cheap light packable rain pants these days. Mine weigh 7oz. They would be more useful and packable if they were 4oz. Rain pants don't need to be waterproof. More breathable is sufficient, and lighter, and more comfortable. Usually I skip pants and just pack 200wt fleece pants instead as the extra layer.