PDA

View Full Version : 2p tent

Peanut
03-28-2010, 11:50
Hey everyone!! I'm in the market for a 2 person tent, and was hoping for some advice. I've slept in a MSR Hubba Hubba and liked it. And my friend mentioned the Marmot Eos 2? Any thoughts on these or ideas of others? Here are some things I'm looking for:

- reasonable room for 2 people
- freestanding
- comparable weight to Hubba hubba, or lighter
- comparable cost to Hubba hubba or cheaper
- 3 season
- easy setup and all those perks:)

Thanks so much for your ideas and thoughts!

Jim Adams
03-28-2010, 11:59
hubbahubba is a good tent.

geek

Peanut
03-28-2010, 12:07
Hi Geek! Thanks for the feedback.

Enjoyed your presentation at the PA Ruck...thanks for sharing with us!

mykl
03-28-2010, 13:41
I never seam the Marmot Eos 2 in person, but I don't like a lot of the Marmot vestibules on their tents. A lot of the designs I have looked at would seam to let rain in when opening to get in and out. MSR Hubba Hubba is nice. Actually a friend of mine got the MSR to replace a Marmot he had, for the reasons mentioned above.
As far as other tents, are freestanding and vestibules a must?

Mr. Right
03-28-2010, 13:55
Don't forget the REI Half Dome. By all accounts though, this year's model is not as good as the last one. (I don't own this year's so I can't compare the two.) Also, the Big Agnes Seedhouse is awesome if you want something a little lighter.

Mrpokey
03-28-2010, 14:50
I use a Kelty Teton II and I love it, check it out. You won't be disappointed

skinewmexico
03-28-2010, 14:58
REI Quarterdome T3

C2
03-28-2010, 20:29
REI Quarterdome T2 has worked well for me.

butts0989
03-28-2010, 20:52
i guess ill be the first but not the last to suggest tarptents, choice of double rainbow, cloudburst, squall2, or rainshadow 2, check them out all barely over 2 pounds.

Bags4266
03-28-2010, 20:57
i guess ill be the first but not the last to suggest tarptents, choice of double rainbow, cloudburst, squall2, or rainshadow 2, check them out all barely over 2 pounds.

She mentioned free standing! What the allure to free standing tents is, I can't figure out.

Tinker
03-28-2010, 22:29
She mentioned free standing! What the allure to free standing tents is, I can't figure out.
1) Quick pitching in good weather when staking isn't necessary to keep the shelter from blowing down or away.
2) Pitching on tent platforms where stakes can't work (yes, I know you can tie off to the platforms).
3) Pitching on very rocky or compacted ground where it's difficult to drive stakes without bending them.
4) Most importantly - "Everyone else has one", or "Everyone else says I should", or "They look so much cooler" (not temperature-wise).

#1 Reason NOT to buy free-standing? They require more poles - more poles=more weight.
I sold all of my freestanding tents when I realized there wasn't any situation where I couldn't stake or tie off my lighter non-freestanding tents.
Hammocking, otoh, takes a little more time but the comfort is SO worth it!

Bags4266
03-28-2010, 22:52
Yea Tinker you are correct, I have a hammock too. But the Moment has only 2 stakes to hammer home. I also use a Contrail, the only thing I don't like is it requires more stakes but the weight is worth it.

butts0989
03-28-2010, 22:58
the double rainbow is freestanding.... so is the rainbow...

Tinker
03-28-2010, 23:01
Yea Tinker you are correct, I have a hammock too. But the Moment has only 2 stakes to hammer home. I also use a Contrail, the only thing I don't like is it requires more stakes but the weight is worth it.

That's one of the keys to an ul tent - minimal staking. If you have only one pole (or use trekking poles, which you may have anyhow), but your "ul" tent needs 10+ stakes for a taut, weatherproof pitch, it's not really that light.
The Moment has had my eye since it came out. Like the Lightheart tent I wouldn't mind buying one to try if I could turn around and sell it without a loss (I did that by buying a prototype from Heartfire at a reduced rate).
Nice little tent.
Peanut - you might like to take a look at Lightheart's two person tent if you crave ventilation in hot weather and aren't going to use it in real cold weather.

Franco
03-28-2010, 23:06
Freestanding
Another advantage (generally) is the smaller footprint , they can also stand up better on uneven ground.
Also if you are not that good at erecting tents, it's hard to go wrong (some do) with a freestanding.

As for "fewer" pegs that is not always the case.
For example there is a certain Tarptent that stands up (including vestibule) with two pegs, whilst there are "freestandig" tents that need 9-13 so that the fly does not touch the inner.
Franco

Easy

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Francos-Windscreen.jpg

Easy for some
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/odds/Girl-Friday-2.jpg

Not so easy for some
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/odds/MLD-Patrol.jpg

Mountain Wildman
03-28-2010, 23:37
Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2 at Campsaver.com.
20% off until 3/31 puts the cost at $255.16.
Almost the same size as the Hubba Hubba,
But Weighs 1 pound less, Free standing but
only one door.

Dialeight44
03-29-2010, 00:53
I chose to hike the AT with a two person tent to give me the luxury of extra room. I used the MSR Hubba Hubba and LOVED it every step of the way. In addition, I didn't carry Tyvek or a ground cloth for the entire trip and never needed it. I left Springer on March 24 and had a tent mate on April 11 as I met the woman of my dreams while hiking the AT. We sent her tent home, slept together in my tent for the rest of the hike, and moved in together after Katahdin. She likes the Hubba Hubba, too. If you can stand the extra weight, a two person tent is the way to go. Oh yeah, the Hubba Hubba I have could easily make it another thru-hike. Good luck!

johnson_sb
03-29-2010, 15:19
I've been happy with this tent -- well made for the price...

Alps Mountaineering Zephyr 2
http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/ALPSMountaineeringZephyr.htm