PDA

View Full Version : Pa hiking pace vs southern Mountains

mountainman
03-28-2010, 15:20
I plan to hike from Harpers Ferry to NJ in early July. I will need to avg. 20 mi. per day to get in done in the time i have.
I avg 20 a day in NC & Va. I've heard the rocks in Pa are bad and slow you up. Is this true and can I do more or less than than in NC & Va?
Now I have to find a quick way to get from Harpers Ferry to NJ line July 2 AM
Mountainman

emerald
03-28-2010, 15:26
Virginia as you know hosts about 25% of the A.T. and its terrain is varied. Pennsylvania is essentially flat save for its water gaps. It's treadway gets increasingly rough approaching New Jersey.

Given what you have stated, I think it likely you will not have difficulty putting 20 miles a day behind you when the days are at their longest. Expect many opinions more or less in agreement with what I have posted.

10-K
03-28-2010, 15:48
You won't have any problem making 20 mpd in Pa.

I hiked from the Delaware Water Gap recreation area in NJ to Pen Mar Park in MD last year in 9.5 days - just a bit over 24 mpd.

That was June 28-July 7 so like Emerald mentioned I had a lot of daylight.

About one third of PA (the southern most third) is easy hiking.

I enjoyed this hike very much... Duncannon on July 4th was a hoot and Lickdale is one of the best town stops I've ever made.

sasquatch2014
03-28-2010, 16:57
From HF Amtrak into DC then Amtrak again to Penn Station then take one of the Metro North lines to monroe get a shuttle from there to the state line? One idea. Easier if you are not so set that it has to be the line. Then you could take it to like High Point NJ or right near the start of Harriman Park NY

Cookerhiker
03-28-2010, 19:03
I think you can do it. Regarding PA's vaunted rocks, it's not like you haven't experienced rockfields before. Virginia is long so I don't know how much detail you remember but the section north of Bailey Gap Shelter is one long rockfield at least as much of a PITA as anything in PA.

garlic08
03-29-2010, 00:43
I only remember one day in PA that I noticed extremely rocky trail. No problem exceeding 20 mpd, if you can do that pace in VA. Good luck on your hike.

Dialeight44
03-29-2010, 00:47
The days are longer, so if you take advantage of the daylight, you should not have a problem. The rocks in PA are a little over-rated IMHO, but you notice them. They don't get "bad" until after Duncannon to Delaware Water Gap. Oh yeah, the first couple of days in NJ have rocks, too. You should be fine.

Cookerhiker
03-29-2010, 07:34
.... Oh yeah, the first couple of days in NJ have rocks, too. You should be fine.

I recall the rockiest part of NJ around Sunfish Pond. The pond is picturesque and may feature wildlife but keep your eyes on those rocks!

Jeff
03-29-2010, 07:43
One issue to consider is rain. Slick rocks will surely slow down your hiking.

Hikemor
03-29-2010, 12:34
You should have no problem acheiving 20 MPD especially HF to Susquehanna River. IMO the PA rocks tire you out rather than slow you down.

Quickest route to DWG is probably hitching I-81 to I-80.

Kerosene
03-29-2010, 14:27
I you truly average 20 mpd down south, day-in and day-out, then you should be able to cover 20 miles over 15 hours of daylight.

However, I've found that I'm much faster on smooth trail than I am on rocky, uneven trail, up to vertical elevation change as high as 700'/mile. In my old age (and I'm 10 years younger than the OP), I've slowed down a lot on rocky, downhill walks, especially if it's slick.

So, go for your 20 mpd but spread it out over the available daylight. I've found that eating an early dinner and then hiking for 2-3 more hours into the evening is a nice break.

Datto
10-14-2010, 22:09
I plan to hike from Harpers Ferry to NJ in early July. I will need to avg. 20 mi. per day to get in done in the time
Mountainman

Although I did several 20 mile days in Pennsylvania during my northbound AT thru-hike, I stumbled more than 50 times each day (lots of time to count). Surprisingly, I didn't actually fall down in Pennsylvania until Wind Gap (near heading into New Jersey) where I fell twice in less than 15 minutes in the rain. I would usually have an almost-fall a couple/three times a day. The PA Rocks tore the heck out of my hiking pole tips.

Maryland to Duncannon is relatively easy terrain (well, compared to Georgia and North Carolina that is) and as I remember the rocks on the Trail started mostly in Duncannon north and went all the way about 50 miles into New Jersey.

I arrived in PA around July 1st or so and had long days to get 20 miles in for the day.

Datto

Pony
10-14-2010, 22:36
I nearly did a faceplant going into Wind Gap also. Scariest moment on the trail. The rocks are mostly annoying, you can still get your miles in.

sarah1021
10-17-2010, 17:51
You should know that PA is as flat as it gets and you will FLY until just shy of Duncannon. After There are a few intermittent patches of rocks, but the last few miles of PA are the worst and will take extra time, they will slow you down. BUT it's very few miles. like 6-10.

So I'd go a few extra in the beginning of your hike to allow yourself some leeway later on (or go SOBO and make up the time on the easy stuff).

Overall it's easier than NC and VA, so you shouldn't have any trouble w/your 20mpd.

AND about the ROCKS... I hiked over them in keen sandles without hurting my feet. just avoid the points! If you take an extra minute the rocks won't tear up your gear. they really aren't as bad as they're made out to be.

Have fun!