PDA

View Full Version : Total rookie questions, volume II

Dainon
10-11-2004, 12:33
And apologies again, but I can't seem to find answers to these questions and I thought that it would be easier posting them in a group rather than in individual threads. Any advice would be most helpful.

1. I've read that it is normal for a hiker's feet to expand by 1/2 to 1 1/2 sizes during a hike. If that's the case, and assuming that one wears a size 11 boot (with the socks to be worn on the hike) BEFORE the hike begins, then should a person START by buying a size 11.5 or 12? I would think that a boot that is loose at the beginning would also cause blisters and sore feet. Or do you buy correct-fitting boots and then purchase new boots later on the trail as your feet expand?

1a. Does anyone know if a hiker's feet expand because of swelling or because of arches flattening out? If it's the latter, then does it follow that a person with flat feet (no arches) would be less susceptible to their feet expanding?

2. If you start hiking in Georgia in April with a 20-degree bag, then do most hikers switch bags during summer to, say, a 40-degree bag, and then back to the 20 in early fall in New England? In other words, do most people use the same bag during all of their thru-hike? I'd like to know this because I haven't purchased a bag yet and I'll be doing a long section next summer (Georgia to mid-Virginia). Given Georgia summers, I'd think that a 40- or 50-degree bag would be adequate. However, I also plan to do a thru-hike the following year and I'd rather not purchase two bags unless necessary.

3. Pocketmail. I'd like to do a journal on Trailjournals.com Do most use Pocketmail or do they write by hand and then use library computers to type it up when in a town? Write by hand and then mail to wife for her to transcribe/enter? Another method? I just read Lonesome Dove's journal -- she used Pocketmail and then sent it to her sis for her to enter in Trailjournals. She started by carrying a cellphone but she mailed it home saying that it was the most worthless piece of equipment that she had.

4. Knee braces. My knees are shot to hell from football. As such, and for those who used knee braces, were they worth the trouble?

Thanks for any advice that you may have.

TDale
10-11-2004, 12:41
I can only answer #4.

Same shape with the knees. See a doctor, get his opinion and braces recommended for your particular knee conditions. The extra weight of a backpack will play heck with your knees especially with all the ascents and descents. I won't go on trail without mine.

Blow a knee on the trail and they'll be helicoptering you out.

SGT Rock
10-11-2004, 12:52
1. I've read that it is normal for a hiker's feet to expand by 1/2 to 1 1/2 sizes during a hike. If that's the case, and assuming that one wears a size 11 boot (with the socks to be worn on the hike) BEFORE the hike begins, then should a person START by buying a size 11.5 or 12? I would think that a boot that is loose at the beginning would also cause blisters and sore feet. Or do you buy correct-fitting boots and then purchase new boots later on the trail as your feet expand?

1a. Does anyone know if a hiker's feet expand because of swelling or because of arches flattening out? If it's the latter, then does it follow that a person with flat feet (no arches) would be less susceptible to their feet expanding?

The causes can be a few. Swelling feet is probably the #1 thing. Falling arches would depend on your feet and if your arches were going to fall anyway. I would recommend getting shoes a little large and wear socks to fill the void until your feet expand, just be ready to change your sock strategy. If your feet grow too much, change your foot ware. Personally I recommend running shoes, and compared to boots, this will mean less cost in the long run. In the book "Long Distance Hiking: Lessons learned from the Appalachian Trail", the author points out that despite the foot ware choice (trail runners, light boots, or heavy boots) the cost of footwear and the replacements hikers had to go through when thru hiking ended up about even. so if you go lighter, you may need to replace more, but in the end the cost evens out and this will also allow you to compensate for changing feet.

2. If you start hiking in Georgia in April with a 20-degree bag, then do most hikers switch bags during summer to, say, a 40-degree bag, and then back to the 20 in early fall in New England? In other words, do most people use the same bag during all of their thru-hike? I'd like to know this because I haven't purchased a bag yet and I'll be doing a long section next summer (Georgia to mid-Virginia). Given Georgia summers, I'd think that a 40- or 50-degree bag would be adequate. However, I also plan to do a thru-hike the following year and I'd rather not purchase two bags unless necessary.

That sort of depends on what you want to do. My plan is to switch to my under quilt (as a top quilt) and a pad with my hammock in warm weather, then back to the under quilt and top quilt in cold weather. I already have both bags. Hungry Howie once talked about switching during his thru, but said he realized since he bought a really light bag to begin with, he wouldn't save but about 2 ounces to switch, and he could just keep using his Arroyo unzipped as a quilt and be just fine. So I guess it depends on what bag you get to begin with. I might suggest a 30 degree bag for an April start, but that doesn't take into account your preference.

3. Pocketmail. I'd like to do a journal on Trailjournals.com Do most use Pocketmail or do they write by hand and then use library computers to type it up when in a town? Write by hand and then mail to wife for her to transcribe/enter? Another method? I just read Lonesome Dove's journal -- she used Pocketmail and then sent it to her sis for her to enter in Trailjournals. She started by carrying a cellphone but she mailed it home saying that it was the most worthless piece of equipment that she had.

I would write my wife and she transcribed for me. That was during the war though, and I didn't have a lot of access to that stuff at first. I find paper easy to write on, never looses batteries, and a few sheets to the next resupply only weigh a few tenths of an ounce.

4. Knee braces. My knees are shot to hell from football. As such, and for those who used knee braces, were they worth the trouble?

Don't know. I haven't used a knee brace in years. My knees used to give me problems, but my PA recommended strengthening them instead of bracing them. I can't say what would work for you.

chris
10-11-2004, 13:27
In terms of feet enlargement, I will assert that this happens less frequently than it might seem. However, on a trail like the AT the cause is most likely the falling arches. Combat this by using something like Superfeet inserts. On the PCT, people had the other problem. The ground temp. in SoCal is high enough that the heat swells the feet.

With sleeping bags, I noticed a lot of people in Virginia swapped out their sleeping bag for things like: El Cheapo Marmot 40 degree (hah!) bags, poncho liners, silk liners, fleece liners, or even nothing (sleeping in clothes). Personally, I think the ideal set up for a mid March start is a Western Mountaineering Ultalight (20), followed by a WM Highlight (40) once the weather is consistently warm. If you are clever, however, you'll start in May, end in September, and carry only the Highlight.

In terms of knees, start a good exercise program and go hiking. A lot. Build up strength, and use the braces if you really need to. You might find trekking poles helpful, although I think a smooth walking style and a good pair of runners will do a lot more good than braces, poles, and Vitamin I.

The Solemates
10-11-2004, 14:11
1. My feet did not grow any in length while on the trail, or afterwards. Neither did my wife's.

1a. I have high arches and my feet did not lengthen. My wife has what I would call "normal" arches and her feet did not lengthen.

2. We started Feb 1 from Springer with 0 degree bags. We were cold only a handful of nights when it dipped below 0. I switched mine out for a 30 degree bag in Pearisburg, VA and carried it the rest of the way to Katahdin. My wife carried her 0 degree bag all the way to Vermont, where she sent it home for a fleece liner. From Vermont onwards, we used the liner as the bottom and the 30 degree bag as a quilt for the both of us.

3. I wrote everything down by hand on the trail. I did not carry Pocketmail, but know many other hikers did. I would probably consider using it on another hike, but just know that it does take a lot of effort. Most people type their journal into the device on a daily basis (which takes a lot of time) and then "phone" it in using any payphone. This sends it via email to a person of your choice, who can then just cut and paste it into trailjournals.

4. I believe you do not need knee braces or trekking poles. Your knees will strengthen enough without them, although most people swear by poles. If you are still worried, wear the braces the first few weeks and then ditch them. You could also carry poles. My wife is of the "swearing by poles" group.

max patch
10-11-2004, 14:32
Start with boots or trail runners that fit. If you are wearing boots make sure they are well broken in before you start. IF your feet change size then make whatever adjustments are necessary when you replace your footwear along the way.

I used a 20 degree bag the entire trip (5/1 to 10/7). A heavier bag in the beginning and a lighter bag in the middle would have been nice but wasn't required. IF you decide to switch to a fleece type bag (which I would not recommend) make sure you check its weight and its compressibility.

As far as your knees there are exercises you can do to make the muscles that support the knee stronger. See a sports doc.

NotYet
10-11-2004, 14:36
1) I'd start with broken-in and well-fitting shoes! Your feet may or may not get longer and/or wider, but I wouldn't want my feet rubbing around in alot of empty space. Your shoes/boots will probably continue to be comfortable until they wear out...a bit before that that point, you could try on some shoes/boots in a trail town to see if your feet have grown. Whether they have or haven't, you could buy your next pair there, or call an outfitter that will ship you the kind you want to a re-supply town up the trail (I kept Soloman's number in my list of important numbers :) ). Also, I think inserts like Superfeet help tremendously!!!

2) It depends on when you start, how fast you move and how cold you get. I had a bounce box for my winter gear, and it was there when I needed it (I was sobo). Depending upon start date and pace, many nobos bounce their warm-weather gear to Damascus or there-abouts.

3) I'm not high-tech enough to even know what "pocketmail" is! :clap

4) I have terrible knees, and my job requires much backpacking. I used to use knee braces, but they really didn't help as a long term solution. I almost had to quit my job, until 6 years ago a co-worker convinced me to try trekking poles. I'm still backpacking, and my knees are much stronger! Definitely do strenthening exercises for your knees...but you might want to try out poles to see if you like them.

No Pepsi
10-11-2004, 16:19
1. My feet are permanently bigger. At least 1/2 a shoe size.

2. Yes, switch sleeping bags in the warmer months. Saves weight!!
3. I was able to update my Trail Journals at libraries while in town. Not much of a problem except in one or two stretches.

SalParadise
10-11-2004, 17:50
Even with low arches, you may like inserts (I'd recommend SofSole) just to add some cushioning to your step, which will help keep your feet from getting as sore.
Sleeping bags are so incredibly expensive. Just get a 20 or 30 degree bag and either carry an extra jacket to sleep in or get a fleece or other liner.
Libraries are in the majority of towns and in a lot of motels.
Check a doctor about the knee. A lot of people wore braces, and be sure to start taking Glucosamine for your joints at least a month before you go. Definitely reduce that pack weight if you can, and you'll definitely like hiking poles. They can take up to 20 percent of the weight off your knees when you hike. When you go on your next practice trip, borrow some cross-country ski poles and see how you like them.

TDale
10-11-2004, 19:46
Sal, thanks for mentioning glucosamine. I take it daily and tend to forget about it's wondrous effects. Until I forget to take it for a few days.

Tha Wookie
10-11-2004, 23:57
1. Forget boots, get sneakers.

1a. they grow because your feet turn into ***** brickhouses.

2. Yes.

3. Pen and Paper still works fine. Yes cell phones are worthless on the trail -leave yours at home.

4. Start a good stretch regiment to go with muscle develpoment training

Peaks
10-12-2004, 08:30
shoe size: most people's shoe size increases because their feet spread out as a result of being on your feet all day long and carrying a load. Same thing happens to pregant women. Footbeds like superfeet that support the arch tend to minimize the amount of spread.

Because I don't know your particular feet, I can't predict if your feet will expand or not. Many do, some do not increase shoe size. So, when the first pair wears out, get off the trail and into town and buy a replacement at that time that fits your feet.

Sleeping bags: Some of the best advice that I heeded was to keep my cold weather bag until after Mt. Rodgers. The locals in the mountains along the AT in North Carolina and Tennasee don't plant their gardens until Memorial Day.

Then, get your cold weather gear back by Glencliff. It can snow any day of the year in the higher elevations of the Whites. Better safe than sorry.