PDA

View Full Version : WSF Citrus Tract

Ladytrekker
03-29-2010, 07:02
Just hiked 30 miles in 70 hours the Withlacoochee State Forest Citrus Tract Loops C & D. Had a great time really pretty forest and quite rugged for Florida. The FT was extremely well maintained and well marked. This was a gear shakedown hike for my section on the AT in late May.

And what a revelation I had with food and water the pack weighed in at 39 lbs. By the time I go on the AT and/or my next long hike 10 lbs is coming off of that bad boy. I really learned I can live without a whole lot and I don't care how bad I smell a change of underwear and maybe a shirt I am good to go.

This hike was a dry hike so we had to cache water and when we got our water had to fill everything to carry it, but am anticipating plentiful water from Springer to Neals Gap after all this snow.

Definitely would recommend this section of the FT for anyone wanting to drop out of site for 3 to 4 days and have to do it in Florida.

The word ultralight took on a whole new meaning for me this weekend going to lean towards it, going into the light.

gopher
03-29-2010, 09:15
The Citrus WMA is one of my favorite areas for hiking in Florida. The lack of jungle makes this an enjoyable hike. There is also many deer and smaller animals along the trail. If you are lucky antique pitch pots can still be found near the old pine trees.

healthymom
03-29-2010, 10:28
This is also a hike I enjoy immensely.
I've done the entire outer perimeter in 3 days with my son. I did D loop of couple of weeks ago in the rain by myself. It wasn't a dry hike then. ;)
Since I was out during the week and it was raining, I didn't see anyone else for over 24 hrs. BLISS! The deer watched me eat lunch for about 15-20 min. They decided it was time to move on when I started brushing my teeth. That trip I did 19 miles in about 26 hours. Are the burned out areas coming back?
I am looking to do some over- to multi- nighters both in Croom and Richloam. Any feedback on those?
Dee
healthymom

Ladytrekker
03-29-2010, 11:54
This is also a hike I enjoy immensely.
I've done the entire outer perimeter in 3 days with my son. I did D loop of couple of weeks ago in the rain by myself. It wasn't a dry hike then. ;)
Since I was out during the week and it was raining, I didn't see anyone else for over 24 hrs. BLISS! The deer watched me eat lunch for about 15-20 min. They decided it was time to move on when I started brushing my teeth. That trip I did 19 miles in about 26 hours. Are the burned out areas coming back?
I am looking to do some over- to multi- nighters both in Croom and Richloam. Any feedback on those?
Dee
healthymom

I have dayhiked Croom alot of horse trails and ran into alot of horse people but it is hilly in there and the terrain is constantly changing. I would hike it as an overnight.

jnanagardener
03-29-2010, 22:30
Sorry we missed you guys. despite being a teacher, I'm not always good at following directions. It's hard being in Pinellas and so far from the other Florida Trekkers. Not to mention that as teachers we are in the fight of our lives with the proposed legislation pending in Tallahassee. Carole and I did the A loop yesterday and it was awesome. Nice hiking weather and yes, definitely rugged! We missed all that rain down south. A HUGE congrats to you four on your training on the AT. Good luck when that comes...we'll still be in school...Hopefully we can meet up again.

Gray Blazer
03-30-2010, 07:55
Sorry we missed you guys. despite being a teacher, I'm not always good at following directions.

C'mon, teacherz iz smart!

Have you all hiked around Holder Mine near Inverness?

Let me know when you wanna come to NFL and hike.

jnanagardener
03-30-2010, 08:12
Actually Gray, that is exactly where we hiked on Sunday. The trail head for the Citrus Tract is at Holder Mine.

wahoo
04-02-2010, 22:57
Hiked the Citrus Tract over three days recently - there seem to be some reroutes that have moved the trail away from a few of the caves. I also think the total trail mileage seems to be a few miles shorter than it was about three years ago. Anyone got any idea of the "official" mileage now? It was in the 40-mile range (43?), but I came up with 35.19 miles around the perimeter on my GPS.

jbwood5
02-07-2013, 15:52
Hiked the Citrus Tract over three days recently - there seem to be some reroutes that have moved the trail away from a few of the caves. I also think the total trail mileage seems to be a few miles shorter than it was about three years ago. Anyone got any idea of the "official" mileage now? It was in the 40-mile range (43?), but I came up with 35.19 miles around the perimeter on my GPS.

I know I am replying to an old post here, but a buddy of mine GPS'd the perimeter of Citrus orange blaze at about 36.4 miles. I've hiked that trail for many years and it indeed has been shortened. In 2004 (I think that was the year) a couple of tornados came through the area. The northern most section up near Hwy 44 was hit badly and the entire section of forest was laid down (flattened) like a giant steam roller had come across the land. The FTA decided it would be an almost impossible task to clear the trail so they re-routed it a few hundred yards south. Then a few years ago they cut the far west side short for some reason where the C-D cross trail connects on the west side. The part they cut out had an old dark forest section with some unique large oaks with Spanish Moss. I'm not sure why that was cut out but it knocked at least 1/2 mile off. Back before these changes we used to say it was a 40 mile loop.

BTW, I usually park at Tillis Hill ($2 or a pass), walk down the road, go N on TR13 and catch the orange blaze at the first crossing. It is the shortest access if you are entering from Stage Coach Rd from the West, but you do have a road walk (or as an alternate, use the horse trail at Tillis Hill).

WingedMonkey
02-07-2013, 20:18
[QUOTE=jbwood5;1411841BTW, I usually park at Tillis Hill ($2 or a pass), walk down the road, go N on TR13 and catch the orange blaze at the first crossing. It is the shortest access if you are entering from Stage Coach Rd from the West, but you do have a road walk (or as an alternate, use the horse trail at Tillis Hill).[/QUOTE]

Where is the river level this winter?

jbwood5
02-07-2013, 20:50
Where is the river level this winter?

Well there are no rivers in the Citrus tract area, but if you are thinking of the Withlacoochee River, it is pretty much normal. In the Fall last year it was over flood stage, but it has been dry up here for a couple of months.

Sailor (The other one)
02-07-2013, 21:33
Where did you camp? Is primitive (or dispersed) camping allowed? Need a permit?
Thanks.

Ladytrekker
02-08-2013, 17:19
Where did you camp? Is primitive (or dispersed) camping allowed? Need a permit?
Thanks.

The forest service prefers you get a permit so they know who is camping in the forest. We did when we hiked it. There are some designated campsites but after hiking it without a fire you could camp anywhere you want too. I would definitely advise not camping near a dirt road move off of it There are some country people 4-wheeling at night sometimes in there. The forest has forest roads in a grid so you are pretty consistently crossing dirt roads.

This is a dry hike. I hid water in 3 places two at designated campsites and one just random area there are no water sources.

WingedMonkey
02-08-2013, 17:34
Well there are no rivers in the Citrus tract area, but if you are thinking of the Withlacoochee River, it is pretty much normal. In the Fall last year it was over flood stage, but it has been dry up here for a couple of months.

Thanks.
Yeah I have a bad habit of lumping all of Withlacoochee Forest into one. Usually have all my toys loaded, canoe, bike, and backpack when I manage to get up there. Never know which track I will end up on, depends on which one is too busy.

:sun

Sailor (The other one)
02-09-2013, 15:52
The forest service prefers you get a permit so they know who is camping in the forest. We did when we hiked it. There are some designated campsites but after hiking it without a fire you could camp anywhere you want too. I would definitely advise not camping near a dirt road move off of it There are some country people 4-wheeling at night sometimes in there. The forest has forest roads in a grid so you are pretty consistently crossing dirt roads.

This is a dry hike. I hid water in 3 places two at designated campsites and one just random area there are no water sources.

Thank you.