PDA

View Full Version : hiking in the rain

DavidNH
03-29-2010, 09:36
Given the very wet March we are having here in the northeast and the prospect of a really wet trail come late spring early summer.. I thought it would be interesting to start a thread about hiking in extended rain and endless mud.

Not talking about the summer shower here. I'm talking about pouring rain that lasts all day for several days straight or returns with storm after storm day after day. I'm talking about trail so muddy that you can't avoid the mud pits by hiking around them (we aren't supposed to but doesn't everyone try to avoid them as much as possible?).

If you've met such conditions, did you stay on the trail? if so how did you deal with things?

DavidNH

butts0989
03-29-2010, 10:37
Hiked in alaska for 5 days straight rain!! temps ranging from 35-55 degrees. Wore a Sil poncho tarp and it was the best i could have asked for. If you take it off right you can stay completely dry while setting up your shelter. Also i sucked it up and got some pretty good Asolo boots with 18inch gaiters. i ALWAYS hike in trailrunners but these saved my life.

d.o.c
03-29-2010, 10:42
last year durin my thru hike we hiked all of the month of may in straight rain.... i was gettn to the point of questioning my reasons for hiking and that usually dosent happen

modiyooch
03-29-2010, 10:42
That would have been your 2009 thru hikers. It rained 6 weeks straight in Maine last summer. I understand the mud in VT was extremely bad.
You hike in it, around it and/or thru it. My friend got trench foot last year from the conditions.

mudhead
03-29-2010, 11:08
It rained 6 weeks straight in Maine last summer.

It was grim, but we will have a spectacular 3 days of summer this year to make up for it.

Slo-go'en
03-29-2010, 11:17
Well, thankfully, heavy rain usually doesn't last long and often occurs in the early morning or late evening. When there is an extended rainy period, more often than not, there is a window from about 10 am to 2 pm when the rain lifts. If its raining hard in the early morning, if you delay starting until it starts to lighten up, you can avoid the worst of it. There is generally also another window of no or light rain around supper time.

The above applys to most of the AT except New England. Up here, a cold front can stall over the area and clash with a warm front, causing extended periods of rain with little or no let up for days. Today is a good example.

I hiked most of VA last spring from mid April to mid May and it rained at some point something like 23 of the 30 days I was out there. Most of the rain was at night with that "10 to 2" mostly rain free window during the day to try and do the most miles in. Traffic on the trail was light, so shelter space was no problem which was a big help. If I set up my tent, it was sure to thunder storm that night!

The trail was sloppy, but my gorex boots kept my feet reasonably dry. I was also glad to have brought my synthetic bag as keeping a down bag in good operating condition in those elements would have been a pain.

woodsy
03-29-2010, 11:42
Warrighyagey is the expert in rainwalking, maybe he will chime in and share his vast experience on the subject.

Lyle
03-29-2010, 11:48
Spent my 2006 section hike in PA during the flooding in the area of Swatara Gap, Rausch Gap, and Port Clinton. Probably not the most extended downpour of rain I've hiked through, but some of the worst flooding. Had to do several miles of detours around flooded sections of trail. Parts were under 5 to 6 feet of water. The day hiking into Rausch Gap Shelter, we estimated that 75% of the day we were hiking in at least ankle deep water on the trail, many long sections were knee deep, and some sections there were holes hip deep. Remember one section where the trail lead us into a pond about 100 yards across. In the center of the pond, was a wooden bridge that got us out of the water for about 20 feet, then dropped us back into the pond. Guess it was better than wading whatever stream was under the bridge. :D Absolutely no attempts to avoid the water were possible.

In all, it wasn't nearly as miserable as one would imagine. But definitely challenging, getting across some of the streams. It's all part of taking the trail for what it gives you and making the best of it. Can still be all kinds of fun, if you keep your sense of humor.

Tipi Walter
03-29-2010, 12:37
I backpack in the mountains of TN and NC and we infrequently have bouts of long rain/sleet combos, one last October lasted 96 hours, but I usually try to stay in camp during the worst of the heavy stuff. I don't mind pulling zero days in the tent during rainstorms or blizzards. On my last trip I spent a zero day during an all-day rain and another zero day in a crappy sleet-storm-turned-to-snow. There's nothing wrong with hunkering, in fact it is often the smart thing to do.

Walking in a downpour is usually a warm-weather thing, and can be tolerated if you have your gear carefully packed and covered. People swear by pack liners or Packa's or all the rest. The main reason I carry a nice gtx rain jacket is for hiking in a cold rain--and I wear a t-shirt under it so when it gets soaked with sweat I'm okay later in camp with dry clothes.

In a real deluge I will usually depack and stand on the trail and keep my pack covered and wait for the worst of it to pass. Usually takes around 20-30 minutes. One time I was on the AT by Hot Springs and me and Bebe got caught in a real gully washer and we stopped on the trail, depacked, and pulled out the tent fly and sat underneath waiting for the thing to pass.

There's all different degrees of rain, some of it heavy, most of it light to middling. I can handle the latter, for the former I usually prepare and get set up for it, though not always. In a real all-day downpour I look for a place to set up my tent and call it a day. It's called A Zero Day, and they're well worth doing. Forget about pulling zero days in towns or motels or hostels--just pull 'em in your tent and be happy.

twosticks
03-29-2010, 14:53
In these conditions, would it be better to have gore-tex boots or trail runners with gore-tex socks?

As those are the only two options I have.

naturejunkie
03-29-2010, 15:49
The best way to deal with rain is to make sure the stuff in your pack stays dry.

Lyle
03-29-2010, 16:28
In these conditions, would it be better to have gore-tex boots or trail runners with gore-tex socks?

I have used goretex boots. They work to a point. eventually you will find yourself having to step into water that goes over the top. Doesn't matter then if they are waterproof or not, your feet will be wet. If by some miracle you find your way without stepping into deep water, if you hike in the rain or in brush after a rain, you legs will get wet, and the water will run down, into your boots, again, it won't matter if your boots are goretex.

Once waterproof boots are wet, they take much longer to dry out than more breathable boots do - days longer.

It's a toss-up, and individual choice. The only time I seriously consider goretex boots now is for wet, winter conditions, not three-season. Normally, I just expect wet feet, and keep some comfy, dry socks for camp to allow my feet to de-prune overnight. It's not nearly as uncomfortable as you expect.

Tagless
03-29-2010, 16:50
Last year my wife and I had success using Hydropel Sports Ointment (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/hydropel.html). We only applied it during very wet rainy weather. It seemed to create a protective barrier, keeping feet from getting shriveled.

Disney
03-29-2010, 17:04
In 2004, while I was going through the Smokies, it rained for about 3 days straight. I just cut the mileage down. Leave one shelter and push for the next. It's like pulling off a bandaid. Just run out there and get good and wet. Make sure you have a good pack cover and head straight for the next shelter. You've got to be realistic though, if you stop in a shelter out of the rain for lunch, after hiking 5-10 miles, you're not going to go back out in it.

I also learned very quickly to put the wet socks back on in the morning. Keep one pair dry no matter what.

Tipi Walter
03-29-2010, 17:12
In 2004, while I was going through the Smokies, it rained for about 3 days straight. I just cut the mileage down. Leave one shelter and push for the next. It's like pulling off a bandaid. Just run out there and get good and wet. Make sure you have a good pack cover and head straight for the next shelter. You've got to be realistic though, if you stop in a shelter out of the rain for lunch, after hiking 5-10 miles, you're not going to go back out in it.

I also learned very quickly to put the wet socks back on in the morning. Keep one pair dry no matter what.

Some good points, especially the "after hiking 5-10 miles, you're not going to go back out in it", and the dry sock thing is real important. I love seeing guys come out and get caught in a 35 or 40F deluge and then throw all of their wet clothing in a heap in their tent vestibule(and sometimes even blue jeans). When they wake up they keep on their dry stuff and don't know what to do with their heap of wet stuff. Put it on! But they never do, they gear up in the dry stuff and Zap--they're back in the rain and everything's wet.

That next night they have nothing to wear in camp or in the bag and thus begins the usual cycle of shivering and bailing. Bailing? Bugging out to a town and a laundry mat with dryers.

Blissful
03-29-2010, 17:18

I used both on my hike and got wet anyway. Trail runners dry a lot faster.

garlic08
03-29-2010, 17:23
My UL friends and I have debated this point--how far can/should you attempt to hike in dangerously wet and cold conditions? A group of us had those conditions in WA state on the PCT in '04--day after day of very cold wind and rain--the wind was the worst, especially above treeline--a real killer wind. Most of us found our limits. One section hiker died fording the Sandy River on Mt Hood in the storm.

We mostly agreed that 100 miles in 4 days was about the limit, which is what most of us were faced with. At that point, the insulation was too damp, skin was too damaged, and overall fatigue was too high for safely. A few made more, some had to do less, but that was about the average for veteran PCT hikers with UL gear (10 to 15 pound base weight packs).

Kerosene
03-29-2010, 17:24
I have used goretex boots. They work to a point. I concur with Lyle, boots with a Gore-tex liner are only good for weekend hikes and cold weather.

You can keep most water from entering via the top of the boot by using waterproof shortie gaitors with rain pants or water-repellent wind pants that "blouse" over gaitors. However, walking through a wet meadow the next day without your rain pants will get your legs wet, which then magically wicks its way into your boots.

Of course, my feet sweat under most conditions, so after 3-4 days I'll still end up with the inside of my boots soaked. I finally went with a mesh boot last year and will just learn to live with wet feet (Hydropel helps).

Wheeler
03-29-2010, 18:29
KEEP SOME DRY STUFF IN YOUR PACK! save a set for just sleeping in. put your wet clothes on again in the A.M. if its still raining. I know, it's not fun, but once you get moving it's ok. that's about it for warm weather. Rain pants-whatever. not unless it's cold out. A jacket helps, and bring one, but if it's warm you're just gonna sweat like crazy. It's nice for a break, but that's a great thing about the A.T.; shelters everywhere. you're going to be able to dry out at least once a week, so it's not that bad. Just wears you down mentally. You'll need those layers if it's cold. Make sure you have dry stuff for camp.

Tinker
03-29-2010, 19:13
It was grim, but we will have a spectacular 3 days of summer this year to make up for it.

Oh, the wit! :D:D:D

Tinker
03-29-2010, 19:22
My last section hike on the Long Trail, 7 days, had rain all but one day. Wet feet are what you get. Forget about any fairy tale Goretex this, Sympatex that. The wet gets onto your legs and into your boots (or trail runners if you're me). Back then I WAS using heavy boots (Limmers), and I regret that I hadn't considered footwear that would drain and not stretch. Nylon strapping with nylon breathable fabric is what makes a good wet weather shoe or boot.
Upper body: If it's not too cold, just wear your polypro (poly-whatever) or wool, and be thankful that you're being cleansed as you walk. In temps. below 60, I recommend a poncho. If it's windy, tie a cord around the waist or hoist the back corners up and tuck them into the front of your pack belt.
Any way you look at it, you'll get wet.
I've found that, for the feet, a little rubbing alcohol toughens up the soft skin caused by constant exposure to dampness (and kills bacteria, etc. that can cause infection).
Don't use it on the "personal areas", however, as it will burn like heck.
Thigh chafing is something I deal with on most long hikes.
There are sports lubricants which work well for that area. Wiping with a baby wipe helps immensely in "that" area.

modiyooch
03-29-2010, 20:28
Come to think of it, the summer before was wet, too. I had to abandon the wilderness from the back side of a mt due to rising water after several days of rain. I remember at one point I couldn't find the trail because I was in a gap and it was a lake. Water was pouring down from all sides. Then, the planks were underwater. Oh, the memories.

Pootz
03-29-2010, 20:38
Last year my wife and I had success using Hydropel Sports Ointment (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/hydropel.html). We only applied it during very wet rainy weather. It seemed to create a protective barrier, keeping feet from getting shriveled.

I had not heard of this ointment, will have to give it a try.

I am surprised no one from 03 has commented. They had something like 130 days of rain from April to September. I section hiked in PA that year and there was water everywhere. Just north of Quarry Gap shelter there was a 50' wide stream 8 inches deep. The trail is normally pretty dry in this section.

goedde2
03-30-2010, 13:28
That's the beauty of a hammock, off the ground. No worries. Helps me enjoy listening to the little pitter pats on the tarp, and makes for a very restful sleep. Getting wet for me is just part of the experience, and not really a big deal. The correct nylon clothing or Under Armour base layer makes drying out less painful.

singing wind
03-30-2010, 22:24
1. Baby da feet with heaps of TLC - get them out of the shoes during longer breaks (with wet socks off), massage with a good salve, lotion, or whatever works for you - rinse the mud and as much of the microgrit out of the socks as possible.

2. Eat as much good food as you can.

3. Do your best to keep a positive attitude.

4. Plenty of posts about gear management.

Bronk
03-31-2010, 02:18
If you're starting early March from Springer you're going to get wet. And all of your gear will get wet...by the time it all dries out it will start raining again...everything you have will smell mildewy, and the stench won't wash out when you get to a laundromat. You just get used to it.

There was a guy who never hiked in the rain...he didn't make it very far...he stayed 10 days at Fontana Dam waiting for the weather to clear. He got off the trail at Newfound Gap after getting drunk and punching the manager of the Grand Prix.

Blue Jay
03-31-2010, 08:19
1. Baby da feet with heaps of TLC

2. Eat as much good food as you can.

3. Do your best to keep a positive attitude.

4. Plenty of posts about gear management.

IMO your number 3 is my number one. Perception is everything. If you can convince yourself hiking in the rain is actually preferable, everything about hiking changes for the better. Rain water is better than sweat due to no salt.
You see more wildlife because your scent and sounds are knocked down. The color of everything is more vivid when wet. There are far fewer humans and the ones actually out there are never pack sniffers. I love the sound of wind and rain together. Sometimes at views the mist flows like water thru vallys. In the beginning it was self deception, now it is real, I prefer the rain.

Blue Jay
03-31-2010, 08:23
I am surprised no one from 03 has commented. They had something like 130 days of rain from April to September.

They FINALLY got tired of sniveling, it eventually happens to everyone.:D

sbhikes
03-31-2010, 10:30
If you've met such conditions, did you stay on the trail? if so how did you deal with things?

DavidNH

Never experienced the mud, but I have experienced rain for over a week on the PCT. I hiked 30 miles a day until I could check into a nice warm room in a nice dry hotel for a few days, then got a ride to Seattle and enjoyed a few more days there. When the weather improved, I got back on the trail.

If there had been a lot of wallowing in mud, I think I would have found my way to Seattle sooner.

The thing I don't like about rain is that my stuff got wetter and wetter the longer I was out in it. If there hadn't been little windows of sun that let me dry my gear, I would have ended up with very damp gear quickly. Even if I could keep my sleeping bag dry, if I had to sleep in a wet tent in the rain, it would soak up water from the environment around it.

Footslogger
03-31-2010, 12:15
Hey David, with the exception perhaps of this year, 2003 was one of the best examples of the circumstances you describe in your original post.

The first thing I did when I realized that the rain was going to be a constant companion was to get my hands on some plastic trash compactor bags. I lined my pack with one and kept a few spares.

Although they are of limited value during constant downpours, I did get a silnylon pack cover and used it routinely. Main reason being that once the pack cloth soaks out it takes days/weeks to fully dry. So even if it only sheds a little water it's better than nothing.

Next, I switches my footwear to lighterweight trail runners that would drain instead of trap water. I was wearing a Gortex lined boot at the beginning and found that once they soaked out they stayed that way and REALLY irritated my feet. Plus, during the initial months they would freeze like cinder blocks every night. I carried several bandanas and several times during each day when it was raining I would take every opportunity to stop under a shelter or thick stand of trees, take off my shoes and examine/dry off my feet.

Last but not least was the clothing I wore. Unless lower temps dictated otherwise, I generally wore as little clothing as possible and it was all synthetic. You're going to get wet anyway so trying to wear clothing/raingear that supposedly keeps you dry only ends up acting like a sauna, trapping perspiration and ultimately leaking - - even the best and most expensive stuff.

Eventually the sun comes out (or at least it did in 2003) and I took a zero or two in a large open area, spread out all my gear and turned my pack inside out to allow it to thoroughly dry.

'Slogger

Disney
03-31-2010, 17:05
They FINALLY got tired of sniveling, it eventually happens to everyone.:D

I think that brings up a larger issue. I know, I know, No Sniveling. But what do you do if it's non stop rain? How do you cope? Do you cope? Is there something that changes in the way you approach the trail? An increase in yellow blazing seems inevitable.

I can only imagine what it must be like for someone to work and plan for this their entire life and then have to trudge through nothing but rain. Pretty severe mental blow.

The standard responses (no pain no rain no main, no sniveling) really just ignore that aspect. I think it's a legitimate question. Although obviously you have no control and complaining is useless and self-defeating, does anything change?

Example: You might do more night hiking. If the storm clears at 10 pm, take a 10 mile dry walk just for the change.

sbhikes
03-31-2010, 19:12
I can only imagine what it must be like for someone to work and plan for this their entire life and then have to trudge through nothing but rain. Pretty severe mental blow.

Let me first say that I failed at this advice myself miserably, but I'm going to give it anyway because it was lesson I didn't learn but should have.

If you go at it like the rain and mud is a severe mental blow to something you planned for all your life, then that is what it will be. The people I met on the trail that weren't affected by the bad weather or other conditions were the ones who found the positive in everything. "Rain helps me walk farther," was what one guy I talked to said.

I tried to tell myself in the rain to focus on the fact that I wasn't going to die, that I was warm and safe and would sleep dry and comfortable. But I was too stuck in my bad mood to switch myself to the positive. I guess I was enjoying being angry and upset.

Anyway, if you want to make it a great adventure, I believe you can as long as you stay positive, take what the trail gives you with gratitude, and if your limitations have been reached, take a little time off to regroup if you need it.

fiddlehead
03-31-2010, 19:30
Yeah, the problem with rain is that it makes you keep going.
That's ok except i tend to get exhausted without rests.
Of course, on the AT, you have shelters but on other trails, it's not worth it to try to set up your tent to take a rest. So you just keep going.

I don't have any other problems with walking in the rain.
I rather enjoy it.
For one thing, you usually have the trail to yourself as most everyone else stays in one spot.