PDA

View Full Version : Tarptent Moment

jbrecon2
03-29-2010, 14:38
Does anyone have experience with this tent? I took it out for the second time yesterday, and I've got to say that I'm not convinced I bought the right tent. It is certainly lightweight, and simple to setup, there is no debating that. However there are a few things I would like to complain about.

1. The tie for the tent door is 3/4 of the way down the door. This does not allow the door to stay tied up. I've pulled it tight and tied it, but not once has it stayed up. It stays tied, but the whole top part flops down. Every single time....and I have tried many times.

2. No matter how tight i pitch it....and I have pulled it very taunt to include the rope tighteners on the end, I can never get it taunt enough. It always droops down and I end up with the roof of the tent about an inch from my nose dripping condensation.

3.The mesh wall also droops down into the ground, which last night was quite wet, allowing water to get in.

I was so excited about this tent, but I am really starting to regret it. Im starting to wonder if the rainbow was the way to go. At least I would have slot more functional room. Does anyone have any experience with this tent? Any advice?

Cool AT Breeze
03-29-2010, 15:18
Call Henry.

Tagless
03-29-2010, 15:29
jbrecon2,

I have a Moment. Try this way of securing the door...

Hold the bottom left corner of the door flap and fold it up to where the vertical zipper side is parallel to the door top horizontal seam. You should be looking at a folded over triangle. Then roll this up and tie it off. That works for me.

I don't have the drooping problem you describe, so I'm not sure what to say about that.

Cool AT Breeze is right - call Henry. He'll make it right.

Highstepper
03-29-2010, 17:10
I had the same problem with the door when I first set mine up. I soon realized that I was rolling up the wrong side. Roll the zipper side as Tagless mentions and it will work great.

As far as the drooping, I used mine last weekend in a location that didn't allow the pole ends to completely spread out. This caused the mesh to sag somewhat. This is the only time i've had any problem with tautness of the tent body or mesh.

So far, I like mine a lot

hshires
03-29-2010, 17:22
Jbrecon2,

The Moment sets up completely taut and there's reason why you should expect anything less for you. Call me (or send a phone number and I'll call you).

-H

skinewmexico
03-29-2010, 20:47
The beauty of buying from a cottage industy is the ability to talk to the designer/builder. Apparently that is lost on a lot of people. A good lesson for any product, or life........talk first to the person you've got an issue with, rather than everyone else.

jbrecon2
03-30-2010, 00:07
Yeah I was just kind of hoping other people with the tent could give some advice. I couldnt find any videos explaining the set up. I will try the door folding technique for sure. And once I am confident I have worked out any kinks on my end I will give Henry a call. First I gotta let that sucker dry out though!! It was a rough night.

Franco
03-30-2010, 00:28
A couple of points sometimes missed.
The two ends need to sit parallel to each other to get a taut set up (any tent....)
The pole needs to be spread out fully , there is a grosgrain ribbon that gives you the correct distance.

I had a mate setting up for the first time his MLD Patrol shelter this Sunday.
When he finished the ridge was sagging and had some very prominent wrinkles on one end.
The other side was a bit floppy too.
So I fixed that by straightening the end and changing the angle of two of the guylines.
Petras, my mate, has had many tents and tarps , still...
Franco