PDA

View Full Version : boot size (keen)

dragoro
03-29-2010, 15:39
I'm looking at the keen Oregon Oct boots. I'm a size 12. I can only find them in size 12 or 13. Should I get the 13s to account for foot swelling or go for the size 12?

tagg
03-29-2010, 16:21
I'm looking at the keen Oregon Oct boots. I'm a size 12. I can only find them in size 12 or 13. Should I get the 13s to account for foot swelling or go for the size 12?

i have some keen targhees, so they aren't the same model, but for what it's worth i had to buy them a size larger. i normally wear a size 11, but in the 30 miles or so between springer and neel gap, my feet swelled to a 12 and i had to buy a new pair because the 11s were killing me. i'd suggest you try them on before buying them while wearing the socks you will be hiking in, and make sure you have a little room to grow if you plan on hiking any significant distance.

Dialeight44
03-29-2010, 16:24
Try them on first, but I would move a size up. I thru-hiked in Keens and I moved up a size from my regular fitting.

Gorgonzola

dragoro
03-29-2010, 16:27
Thanks! Unfortunately no stores around me have em. Have to order online.

Cool AT Breeze
03-29-2010, 16:31
With the boot untied and loose, kick your toe all the way into the toe of the boot. Stand up with your weight on that foot, you should be able to put two fingers behind your heel.

goedde2
03-31-2010, 10:48
There's nothing wrong with going 1/2 size or so larger, to allow for your feet swelling a bit. You can always make up the difference with heavier socks or insoles like Super Feet.

Spokes
03-31-2010, 10:56
Tough call. Keens tend to run small. I only needed to bump up a 1/2 size (YSMV). Never had any problems with swelling feet or blisters for that matter.

Good luck.

AeroGuyDC
04-08-2010, 17:17
I have size 13 Keen Oregon PCT's, which are my 5th pair of Keen boots. I always needed to go a size 13 even though all my other shoes were 12's. I would recommend moving up a size if you normally wear a 12, and as someone mentioned before, you can always add a thicker sock to make up for any looseness.

Right now i'm trying to find the right sock combination to make sure my feet stay cool enough for my upcoming 100-mile section hike. The PCT's are sturdy and comfy boots, but i've yet to figure out how well they breathe in warm weather.

WalkingStick75
04-08-2010, 17:36
I normally wear a 12 but had to but size 13 for Keens.

gtg
04-17-2010, 11:16
I have several friends that have gone to the Keen boots as well as the newport H2s and they all seem to size up 1/2 to 1 full size. One friend with a size 13 d foot(hard for him to find any shoes) went with the Keen Oregon in a 14 (yes keen makes them that big) and he did several weekend hikes and finds the fit good. If that helps at all. I would say make sure you try them on before you buy and that were ever you get them they have a liberal return policy if they are not what your looking for

bulldog49
04-19-2010, 12:19
I have several friends that have gone to the Keen boots as well as the newport H2s and they all seem to size up 1/2 to 1 full size. One friend with a size 13 d foot(hard for him to find any shoes) went with the Keen Oregon in a 14 (yes keen makes them that big) and he did several weekend hikes and finds the fit good. If that helps at all. I would say make sure you try them on before you buy and that were ever you get them they have a liberal return policy if they are not what your looking for

Me too, I sized up 1/2 for my Keens. They do run nearly one whole size small.