PDA

View Full Version : Trail Tunes

Heavy G
03-29-2010, 16:41
I know there are people who don't listen to music while hiking/backpacking. I generally keep one ear in listening to some good tunes, and one ear open to mother nature's sounds.

I was curious what are some folks favorite trail tunes?

I would have to say Dave Matthews Band, Allman Brothers, Zac Brown Band, Grateful Dead and Jack Johnson are some of the best traveling tunes.

Disney
03-29-2010, 16:47
I listen to music when I hike. I really enjoy Irish music, Bob Seger, a few Jimmy Buffet songs, some Johnny Cash. I just picked songs that I felt were appropriate, so I've got a huge range. The 1970's Irish song "wanderlust" is in there with Glenn Campbell's Gentle on My Mind (which has perfect lyrics for Long Distance Hiking). There's a rap song entitled "Gone till November"

And this won't come as a surprise, some Disney songs too. That's actually where I got my name.

Mrs Baggins
03-29-2010, 17:45
I don't know the actual title, but it's a Rod Stewart song (and others have done it but I like his version) that starts out "It's been a long road/getting from there to here/it's been a long time/but my time is finally near....." It was the theme for the Star Trek TV series "Generations" (I think that was the title). Just seemed perfect to me for a thru-hike. I think the title is "Faith of the Heart." All of the Lord of the Rings soundtrack is excellent for a long trek. Crowded House's "Take the Weather With You" is also a hiking favorite. And the theme to the TV show "Globe Trekker" just makes you want to have an adventure.

joeyt1291
03-29-2010, 17:56
I would have to say Dave Matthews Band, Allman Brothers, Zac Brown Band, Grateful Dead and Jack Johnson are some of the best traveling tunes.

I can't agree more with the above mentioned only to add John Denver and CCR

modiyooch
03-29-2010, 18:03
I don't listen to a headset, but I do have a Janis Joplin tune go thru my head. "oh Lord, won't you buy me a mercedes benz" . I think it's when my feet get sore, that this tune pops in my head.

Heavy G
03-29-2010, 18:32
@ Modiyooch- Thats great!

Tinker
03-29-2010, 19:09
Classical guitar. Any artist, any composer.

Hooch
03-29-2010, 19:40
On the rare occasions I listen to music while hiking, I want it loud and fast:

Metallica
Living Colour
Bad Brains
Rage Against the Machine
Black Flag
X
Social Distortion
Anti-Seen
Descendents
Dropkick Murphys
Anthrax
Soundgarden
Faith No More
System of a Down
Primus
Alice in Chains
Foo Fighters
Them Crooked Vultures
Ministry

No sissy music here.

Panzer1
03-29-2010, 20:55
I like to listen to music while in my sleeping bag for about a half hour or so before going to sleep.

Panzer

Tagless
03-29-2010, 21:17
Ryan Shupe and the Rubber Band - particularly "Dream Big".

Graywolf
03-29-2010, 21:31
I listen to a lot of Native American Flute Music on my hikes..I even took a flute with me on my last section hike..Sounds serene in the mountains..I also like to hike to Triumph, Amorphis, and Stixs, especially "Come Sail Away", I sing it as "Come Walk Away".. Lots of good songs out there.."Southern Cross" by Crosby Stills and Nash..??? (I think)...Hmmm..Just too many..I have a full MP3 Player just for hiking...

Graywolf

Heavy G
03-29-2010, 22:01
@ Hooch- Nothing says sissy like Metallica. Bunch of panzies, whining about Napster. They suck!

Hooch
03-29-2010, 22:06
@ Hooch- Nothing says sissy like Metallica. Bunch of panzies, whining about Napster. They suck!You know, actually, you make a valid point.

http://files.byondhome.com/Teka123/2008-12/IcewarriorX-0001/borat_not.jpg

Lone Wolf
03-29-2010, 22:10
me? i like a lotta Dead, Phish, moe, etc. puts me in a good place, ya know? nothing says wilderness like jerry's riffs or trey's voice in the middle of a long jam. spark a jiba!

Heavy G
03-29-2010, 22:16
@ Lone Wolf- you may dig a song by the Zac Brown Band called "toes" any song that says "Sit in the hot sun and roll a big fat one and grab my guitar and play" is alright.

d.o.c
03-29-2010, 22:37
got that string cheese and that yonder mountain pushn me over those mountain tops oh yea moe. in there to...

RGB
03-29-2010, 22:43
Wilco, Avett Brothers, Sigur Ros, The Shins, Rogue Wave, CCR, The Who, The Flaming Lips, Dispatch, Ben Harper, Matisyahu, Sublime, Grandaddy, and similar artists. Pretty much anything but modern country, rap, and metal. I like metal but just can't get in the mood for it outdoors.

Roche
03-30-2010, 08:28
I generally keep one ear in listening to some good tunes, and one ear open to mother nature's sounds.

G

You need to UL, cut off one of the buds. I'll bring my 8-track of Black Betty by Ram Jam, I think it's still in my Mom's garage.

hellomolly
03-30-2010, 08:56
Dave Matthews, Phish, moe., The Shins, Iron & Wine, Bela Fleck, Bon Iver, the Decemberists, Death Cab, Ray LaMontagne and similar artists for mellow, casual moods...

Hollywood Undead, Fall Out Boy, Fuel, Lady Gaga (don't judge), Muse, and other harder/more upbeat/techno-y stuff for higher energy moods.

Makes me want to hike...:banana

sasquatch2014
03-30-2010, 13:39
With over 5,000 songs on the Ipod I just like to go and listen to a song until that makes me think of another song or group and then jump to that. It also depends on what I am doing at the time. If I have to really hammer down to make up the miles then something heavy or just with a really strong beat to it. If I am just cruising along on mellow trail then something that is just like that mellow, a mellow one that almost always gets some play is James Taylor "Walking Man".

Pony
03-31-2010, 14:54
I like most bluegrass, but Yonder Mountain does it for me. A lot of their songs are in some way related to other songs of theirs, and they have a recurring theme of searching for the intangible. Also, I'm a sucker for bluegrass songs about murder, which they also do very well.

d.o.c
03-31-2010, 18:42
yonders song 40 miles from denver reffs the AT... as well as the last verse in moe.s farmer ben song.... Railroad Earth is up there with yonder in my headphones along with hot butterd rum string band

Press
03-31-2010, 21:32
Robert Earl Keen, Joe Ely, Guy Glark, Jimmie Dale Gilmore, Merle Haggard, Lyle Lovett, Pogues, Townes Van Zandt, Gram Parsons, Jeff Tweedy

Spot In The Sky
04-01-2010, 00:06
I cant believe not one of you said Pearl Jam- the greatest band of all time!!! I bet I could walk the entire hike just listening to pearl jam...though I havent started the hike yet.

chief
04-01-2010, 10:34
me? i like a lotta Dead, Phish, moe, etc. puts me in a good place, ya know? nothing says wilderness like jerry's riffs or trey's voice in the middle of a long jam. spark a jiba!
RADICAL, dude!!

chief
04-01-2010, 10:37
Classical guitar. Any artist, any composer.Now, we're talking! How bout David Russell playing Barrios?

Saint Alfonzo
04-01-2010, 11:08
Hello, One and All, I have to ask this question???? Where is the "FUNK"..George Clinton, P-FUNK, Put some glide in your stride and some dip in your hip and come on to the mother ship.

Heavy G
04-03-2010, 23:29
Anybody ever listen to Old Crow Medicine Show? Good stuff! Wagon Wheel is great tune.

J-Fro
04-04-2010, 00:23
I cant believe not one of you said Pearl Jam- the greatest band of all time!!! I bet I could walk the entire hike just listening to pearl jam...though I havent started the hike yet.

Couldn't agree more!! Bring on the Eddie Vedder!! Especially the soundtrack to "Into the Wild".

d.o.c
04-04-2010, 10:32
old crow is cool we wer gonna see if telln old crow we wlkd from georgia to vermont and ended up at their show would get us in but it didnt. it so would have workd if it was a moe. concert

Skyline
04-04-2010, 11:10
Whle hiking: Anything hi-energy. Especially Sirius Satellite Radio's BPM 36 or Area 38.

In tent: More mellow. Sirius' Bluegrass 65 or Watercolors 71. Maybe NPR or other news/talk stations for news and opinion.

MelNino
04-06-2010, 21:45
Anybody ever listen to Old Crow Medicine Show? Good stuff! Wagon Wheel is great tune.

I love Wagon Wheel!
Let's see, my hiking play list has:
Indigo Girls
Kenny Rogers
John Denver
Eddie Vedder
John William's Zelda
O.A.R
Flogging Molly
and other.

Usually listen to other tunes when not hiking, I like quite a variety of genres, but in the woods I need certain tunes

fredmugs
04-07-2010, 12:51
That's what I'm talking about. I like to blast something hardcore when I'm doing the hard climbs. Add in....

Five Finger Death Punch
Pantera
Godsmack
Killswitch Engage
Slipknot
Cradle of Filth
AC/DC

Metallica
Living Colour
Bad Brains
Rage Against the Machine
Black Flag
X
Social Distortion
Anti-Seen
Descendents
Dropkick Murphys
Anthrax
Soundgarden
Faith No More
System of a Down
Primus
Alice in Chains
Foo Fighters
Them Crooked Vultures
Ministry

No sissy music here.

DrRichardCranium
12-15-2010, 18:57
I think bluegrass is the official musical style of Appalachia.

Here's the Bluegrass Allstars playing John Hardy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dZHULTQ0rQ

Luddite
12-15-2010, 19:11

Bad Brains
Black Flag
Anti-Seen

Great bands. The others in your list suck IMO.

Hard climbs
Stiff Little Fingers
Leftover Crack
Choking Victim
No-Cash
Bad Brains
old Against Me!
Reagan Youth
Operation Ivy
Iggy Pop and the Stooges
Minor Threat
Dead Kennedys