PDA

View Full Version : grayson highlands june?

mainebob
03-29-2010, 17:17
I was hoping for some suggestion for a 3-5 day trip on the at to bring my wife and 10 year old daughter. We live in maine and my daughter has hiked about 50 miles of the at in maine. She really likes backpacking and horses. I thought it would be a fun trip for her to go thru the grayson highlands and see the ponies. We have to work around her school schedule. I had thought about april break, but the weather looks a little unpredictable. The questions I have are 1. Is june a good time for the trip? 2. Can anyone recommend a 3-5 day trip averaging about 8-10 miles a day? We would be brining one care so a loop or out and back trip would be ideal. 3. were would we park. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Lone Wolf
03-29-2010, 17:39
an ideal trip would be Va. 603/Fox Creek southbound back to Damascus. it's 40 miles. i do shuttles. cheap

johnnybgood
03-29-2010, 17:49
The Rhododenrons will be in full bloom by late May /early June.

modiyooch
03-29-2010, 18:10
The Rhododenrons will be in full bloom by late May /early June.This was the first thing that popped into my mind as well, but I thought it was late June like Roan Mt. Grayson Highlands is my favorite state park. My kids enjoyed the ponies and the rock scrambling (side ventures, not trail rockclimbing like Maine) The hike into Damascus is good hike, esp for kids.

Knees
03-29-2010, 20:15
The Grayson Highlands are nice in June. It's a good time to see them. Try to avoid weekends / holidays though. It gets very crowded and is not much fun dealing with the crowds. Mid-week would have been more enjoyable.

Blissful
03-29-2010, 20:18
Great area to go. Have fun

waywardfool
03-29-2010, 20:35
We did a loop out of Grayson Highlands last June (10 mile total more or less). I shoot for whatever weekend is closest to June 15th, most always hit the Rhododendrons right. Last year, rain had knocked a lot of the petals off a day prior, but it was a different experience, the ground was covered in them.

Like this:

http://www.sanlee.com/photo/graysonhighlandsjune2009/slides/Image00021.jpg

BTW, go with what Lone Wolf says...park in Damascus, shuttle up to 603 (or, take a little longer on the shuttle, get dropped off at GHSP -- Massie Gap, and save the climb up the back side of Pine Mtn...your wife and daughter might like hiking better if it's not all uphill right out of the car. :)

mtnkngxt
03-29-2010, 21:03
Go with what wolf said. I'm going from Wise Shelter SOBO into Damascus the week of Trail Days, and the continuing South to Erwin. Great section of trail, and after buzzard rock the grade isn't bad at all. Great section of Trail.

JJJ
03-29-2010, 22:44
I'm thinking mid to late June for the Rhods, things are getting off to a slow start.

bigcranky
03-30-2010, 07:11
June is a great time to hike that area. You'll love it. Do the hike that Lone Wolf suggested. One of my favorite sections.

mainebob
03-30-2010, 07:50
thank you everyone for the great info. we are looking forward to the trip.