PDA

View Full Version : GA-NC summer water sources

flemdawg1
03-30-2010, 09:44
In order to get my wife onboard with me taking a week-10 days to do a section from AFSP to Winding Stair Gap, I agreed to do it during July so she can goto a family reunion while I'm gone.

How dependable is the water sorces in GA and southern NC in summer? Should I bring a Nagene Cantene or 2 (4l) and haul extra in some areas?

10-K
03-30-2010, 10:03
In order to get my wife onboard with me taking a week-10 days to do a section from AFSP to Winding Stair Gap, I agreed to do it during July so she can goto a family reunion while I'm gone.

How dependable is the water sorces in GA and southern NC in summer? Should I bring a Nagene Cantene or 2 (4l) and haul extra in some areas?

You won't have any problems at all, especially with all the rain and snow we've had this winter/spring.

I carry 2 48 oz Cantene's to use for fixing dinner and breakfast the next morning but other than that I just try to keep my 2 liter platypus at least half full.

Never had a single problem.

d.o.c
03-30-2010, 10:23
i went thru there in the fall and was told water was gonna be hard to find well it was everywhere.. u shouldnt have a prob.

Brass Rat
03-30-2010, 11:35
There've been dry sections there in the past... maybe not so much this year. The folks at Mountain crossings (http://www.mountaincrossings.com/) usually post a water report, but the link seems to be broken. You might contact Cool Breeze and see if they can fix it.

Two Speed
03-30-2010, 11:47
I'll second checking with MTX if you're concerned, but unless we have another drought in the southeast I doubt finding water will be a problem . . . unless you're a complete dimwit, in which case all bets are off.