PDA

View Full Version : What would YOU like?

hellomolly
03-30-2010, 10:00
Hypothetically speaking... if you were thruhiking right now and someone (let's say a girlfriend) was sending you a mail drop, what non-essential item would you enjoy seeing as a surprise in that drop? I'm organizing my boyfriend's maildrops and besides the common things that I've already done - cookies, photos, uncommon snacks like his fave candy and notes/letters - what else would be a welcome surprise in a maildrop? I guess I'm pretty restricted because of weight and space issues but besides those things I mentioned, I'm running out of ideas. I'd love to mail beer... don't think I can tho. :(

Lone Wolf
03-30-2010, 10:03
good quality beef jerky. pint of liquor

hellomolly
03-30-2010, 10:07
good quality beef jerky. pint of liquor

Ah beef jerky! Good call. He loves the stuff. I don't think you can send alcoholic liquids via USPS, though... isn't it against the law?

d.o.c
03-30-2010, 10:09
id say it might just be me but nugs i would also enjoy some candy or some well made jerky

redseal
03-30-2010, 10:10
Correct....you cannot legally send alcohol through USPS, only FedEx, UPS, etc.

d.o.c
evrything is against the law if u send the alcohol jus wrap it in like bubble wrap or somethn there not gonna look in it.

Lone Wolf
id say it might just be me but nugs i would also enjoy some candy or some well made jerky

what's nugs?

d.o.c
03-30-2010, 10:12
somethn u prob shouldnt be sendn thru the mail anywhere but peeps do anyways..

Many Walks
03-30-2010, 10:13
Hypothetically speaking... an intimate item with a note we'd hook up in a trail town along the way.

Lone Wolf
03-30-2010, 10:14
pot huh?....

d.o.c
03-30-2010, 10:15
i was gonna say walk around a keller show and ask but u figured it out..

d.o.c
03-30-2010, 10:27
i do kno a steamy photo and a letter will not hurt him at all... it will prob keep him smilein when it gets ****y..

skinny minnie
03-30-2010, 11:17
A favorite magazine to read while he is in town.

Lottery tickets (wouldn't be great to win enough money to fund a thru-hike?! this is a daily fantasy of mine :rolleyes:)

Send both of the above through Fed-ex if he has a mail drop at a hostel. And add a nice small bottle of whiskey (or his alcoholic beverage of choice). If you want to be really thoughtful, go buy a collapsible platypus container from REI and send that too. That way he can rebottle and pack the booze out and the weight penalty will be practically nothing for the bottle. (Keep in mind I have never done this but I think it will work!) Depends on how fond he is of his beverage of choice, though. Some people love sitting around a camp fire with a drink. Some don't!

I think the intimate item suggestion is hilarious. All I know is that the guy I was dating who hiked would have found that amusing but totally useless. I'm pretty sure he was doing more fantasizing about cheeseburgers than about me!

Ladytrekker
03-30-2010, 12:17
Found at Gander Mountain a honey flavored turkey jerky not real tough kind of expensive 5 ozs - $4.99, but really really good. Also had to the chance to try the Mountain House Chicken and Rice surprisingly good.

Might throw in a pen and a tiny notebook, found that I am always wanting to make a note. Small bottle of hand sanitizer you go through alot of that. I also use tons of wipes and you can get biodegradeable ones.

Dialeight44
03-30-2010, 13:06
My sister sent me surprises along the way that she knew I could not get in most trail towns. Root beer barrels, wasabi almonds, a couple of cigars, gatorade packets, Skoal, and liquor. To be honest, I always looked forward to her packages because I never knew what she was going to send and she was thoughtful.

Gorgonzola

goedde2
03-30-2010, 13:15
You might consider an open ended plane ticket home, just in case he has lost interest.

hellomolly
03-31-2010, 07:33
Thanks for all the replies... except for the pot suggestion, that's not happening, haha... don't think I'll be doing the plane ticket home, either. Seems pretty pessimistic, lol...

I'm bumping this in the hopes that more people will respond...bump bump.

Minnie, your post made me laugh - I think my boyfriend might appreciate some sort of "intimate" gift, but not as much as he'd appreciate some good beef jerky, his favorite candy and the promise of a trip to visit him in the near future, lol.

Blue Jay
03-31-2010, 08:05
I think my boyfriend might appreciate some sort of "intimate" gift, but not as much as he'd appreciate some good beef jerky, his favorite candy and the promise of a trip to visit him in the near future, lol.

WE don't know him however as males we can get beef jerky or candy or promises. As a male something with your aroma is truly the most "appreciated". If he does appreciate beef jerky more that's just sad.:eek:

hellomolly
03-31-2010, 08:24
WE don't know him however as males we can get beef jerky or candy or promises. As a male something with your aroma is truly the most "appreciated". If he does appreciate beef jerky more that's just sad.:eek:

Okay, fair enough... lol :o I have a shirt of his that I like to keep around but honestly it makes me miss him more when I catch a wiff of his cologne. :(

skinny minnie
03-31-2010, 08:43

Molly - yeah, I laughed too! I guess the men of WB are more romantic than we are! :eek:

In all seriousness though... if you were to mail something "intimate" with your scent (this still cracks me up even though yes - I am aware that guys are appreciative of this) what is he going to do, sniff it and then toss it in the hostel garbage can? Or is he supposed to carry it in his pack where it becomes dead weight that within a day or two smells like a dead cat*? Sounds highly erotic and romantic!

*Hyperbole, but I have smelled some truly wretched, disturbing scents emanating from a thru-hikers gear. Maybe not quite dead cat level... but damn close.

hellomolly
03-31-2010, 09:12
Molly - yeah, I laughed too! I guess the men of WB are more romantic than we are! :eek:

In all seriousness though... if you were to mail something "intimate" with your scent (this still cracks me up even though yes - I am aware that guys are appreciative of this) what is he going to do, sniff it and then toss it in the hostel garbage can? Or is he supposed to carry it in his pack where it becomes dead weight that within a day or two smells like a dead cat*? Sounds highly erotic and romantic!

*Hyperbole, but I have smelled some truly wretched, disturbing scents emanating from a thru-hikers gear. Maybe not quite dead cat level... but damn close.

Aaahaha... this made me laugh out loud! :eek::D Too funny... yeah I guess I just don't get guys, lol.

Maybe it's because he sent me a few things that he didn't want to carry anymore, including a smartwool shirt that he hadn't been using as often as he thought he would. I saw it in the plastic bag and thought, awww, maybe it will smell like him. One whiff and I almost passed out... and that's the shirt he DIDN'T wear much!

I will be bringing industrial-sized soaps when I visit him, that's for sure!

skinny minnie
03-31-2010, 09:32
I will be bringing industrial-sized soaps when I visit him, that's for sure!

Hahaha yes. BRING HYGIENE PRODUCTS. And keep away from his feet AT ALL COST. Consider yourself forewarned! :)

Spokes
03-31-2010, 09:54
WAX LIPS!!!! My girlfriend sent me a pair of these in one of my drops- ended up being the most memorable of the entire thru-hike. Played with the darn things all day long. Too funny!

http://www.trailgallery.com/photos/8450/tj8450%5F071309%5F083452%5F466120.jpg

sbhikes
03-31-2010, 10:21
I can't believe nobody suggested homemade chocolate chip cookies.

hellomolly
03-31-2010, 10:29
I can't believe nobody suggested homemade chocolate chip cookies.

I did... in my original post... ;)

Nevermind
03-31-2010, 12:12
WAX LIPS!!!! My girlfriend sent me a pair of these in one of my drops- ended up being the most memorable of the entire thru-hike. Played with the darn things all day long. Too funny!

http://www.trailgallery.com/photos/8450/tj8450%5F071309%5F083452%5F466120.jpg
Hahaha oh no that is so creepy. Kinda makes me think of Buffalo Bill...

But! something quirky like that is definitely memorable and fun. Similarly, a really quirky photo of you that will make him laugh. The cutesy pictures are nice but get boring. The weird/unplanned ones capture the personality. Those are the best.

sbhikes
03-31-2010, 19:04
I did... in my original post... ;)

Oh, sorry.

I may risk sounding a bit like a grumpy old lady, but I really don't think you should send a lot of extra things in a care package. If you are hiking and get a bunch of stuff sent to you, you have to consume it right away, carry way more than you need or give it away. I was often the beneficiary of people who had family and friends who were a little too enthusiastic about sending goodies in care packages. And the few times I got extra stuff sent unexpectedly (two giant tubes of arnica gel, for example), I had to package it back up and send it home, paying for the postage.

I would think one small little goodie of some sort each time is enough. Nothing to add a lot of weight or make someone feel guilty for throwing it away or giving it away.

hellomolly
03-31-2010, 20:07
Oh, sorry.

I may risk sounding a bit like a grumpy old lady, but I really don't think you should send a lot of extra things in a care package. If you are hiking and get a bunch of stuff sent to you, you have to consume it right away, carry way more than you need or give it away. I was often the beneficiary of people who had family and friends who were a little too enthusiastic about sending goodies in care packages. And the few times I got extra stuff sent unexpectedly (two giant tubes of arnica gel, for example), I had to package it back up and send it home, paying for the postage.

I would think one small little goodie of some sort each time is enough. Nothing to add a lot of weight or make someone feel guilty for throwing it away or giving it away.

Point well taken. In the most recent package I sent him a tiny bottle of liquor, a lotto ticket and his fave candy.

hellomolly
03-31-2010, 22:07
Hahaha oh no that is so creepy. Kinda makes me think of Buffalo Bill...

" It puts the lotion in the basket!"

:eek:

Many Walks
03-31-2010, 22:29
It's sad when the GF can't compete with a cheeseburger or jerky. Laugh if you want, but a bit of fabric in a ziplock with your perfume might be something he'd appreciate. He'll have a lot of time to think out there with 5 months away from you, so you might want to give him something to turn this thoughts to you instead of that cute girl hiking in front of him with a nice tan, those great legs and toned body...just sayin'. Now start laughing again ladies.

skinny minnie
04-01-2010, 08:28
It's sad when the GF can't compete with a cheeseburger or jerky. Laugh if you want, but a bit of fabric in a ziplock with your perfume might be something he'd appreciate. He'll have a lot of time to think out there with 5 months away from you, so you might want to give him something to turn this thoughts to you instead of that cute girl hiking in front of him with a nice tan, those great legs and toned body...just sayin'. Now start laughing again ladies.

WOW. My jaw just dropped. Are you freaking kidding me? Ok, time to set the record straight:

first of all, what an awful, awful comment to make.

second of all, I'm pretty sure the reason we JOKINGLY discussed the fact that the guys were more interested in cheeseburgers is because we are (or were, since I am no longer dating my guy) SECURE IN OUR RELATIONSHIPS.

At the time I was dating a person whom I trusted implicitly. And he was hiking 25 mpd, every day. He was exhausted and focused every bit of his being simply on finishing. I met up with him and let me assure you - he was not thinking about cheeseburgers then! But frankly, every relationship is different and I knew him well enough to know that perfume is not what he needed to keep his spirits up. So for the record: he finished his hike in 3 months, he was very appreciative of what I did to keep his spirits up, and I know for a fact that he was not thinking about other women. In fact, he was ahead of the herd and barely saw anyone. And yes, we broke up many months later relatively amicably, and it had nothing to do with the hike!

What an A**HOLE thing to say. Even a hiker who is SURROUNDED by women can still be loyal to his girlfriend without a stupid gift.

hellomolly
04-01-2010, 08:41
WOW. My jaw just dropped. Are you freaking kidding me? Ok, time to set the record straight:

first of all, what an awful, awful comment to make.

second of all, I'm pretty sure the reason we JOKINGLY discussed the fact that the guys were more interested in cheeseburgers is because we are (or were, since I am no longer dating my guy) SECURE IN OUR RELATIONSHIPS.

At the time I was dating a person whom I trusted implicitly. And he was hiking 25 mpd, every day. He was exhausted and focused every bit of his being simply on finishing. I met up with him and let me assure you - he was not thinking about cheeseburgers then! But frankly, every relationship is different and I knew him well enough to know that perfume is not what he needed to keep his spirits up. So for the record: he finished his hike in 3 months, he was very appreciative of what I did to keep his spirits up, and I know for a fact that he was not thinking about other women. In fact, he was ahead of the herd and barely saw anyone. And yes, we broke up many months later relatively amicably, and it had nothing to do with the hike!

What an A**HOLE thing to say. Even a hiker who is SURROUNDED by women can still be loyal to his girlfriend without a stupid gift.

:datz

Minnie said it better than I could. Thank you!

To reiterate - I'm not concerned my boyfriend will cheat on me because 1. I trust him, 2. he is in a situation like Minnie's ex and is out ahead of the majority of the pack pulling long miles and is not seeing many people, especially women, anyway, 3. I have his dog as collateral. :eek:

Also, I don't wear perfume, a fact my boyfriend appreciates because both of us think its usually too strong of a scent. So I wouldn't have a perfumed piece of cloth to send him anyway.

After nearly 4 years in a relationship, the majority of that time wonderful, and given my enthusiastic support of his hike in the form of letters, phone calls and thoughful (I hope!) mail packages, somehow I doubt some random female on the trail ahead of him will be enough to throw all that way. :rolleyes: And like I said... I've got the dog.

Many Walks
04-01-2010, 09:50
Ha, just push a couple of buttons and you're both so easy to set off...now I'm laughing! Have a great day!:banana

skinny minnie
04-01-2010, 10:11
Ha, just push a couple of buttons and you're both so easy to set off...now I'm laughing! Have a great day!:banana

Frankly, I don't give a crap what you say or think: but I thought it was really unkind of you to imply to someone who misses their boyfriend that he's going to be out drooling over other hikers. It was, and still is an a-hole thing to say.

If you have enough time on your hands that you get a rise out of baiting people - on the internet no less - than you're a pathetic douche with no life. Keep it up! Really productive way to spend your time!

And you know what? It's really sad that the minute I posted my initial thoughts... I knew there would be some person on WB who'd be catty enough to comment on them in a snarky way. I didn't think the comment would stoop that low, though. Get a life. Try and be a positive person. Seems like it'll be a real challenge for you.

hellomolly
04-01-2010, 10:21

And here I am thinking someone who has thruhiked must have at least one redeeming quality...

nope, you're just a dick. Oh well.

http://firstfriday.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/dbotw_sm.jpg

Many Walks
04-01-2010, 10:26
...and the outrage continues...too funny!

skinny minnie
04-01-2010, 10:32
Nope, actually - I'm not outraged at all. Pretty sure Molly isn't either. You can call a spade a spade without being angry.

And I'm done talking to you. Have a great day!

hellomolly
04-01-2010, 10:42
...and the outrage continues...too funny!

As does the douchebaggery... :eek: :-? But nope, no outrage here, just annoyance and disappointment that someone feels the need to post useless comments in some misguided attempt to incite.

Thank you for ruining a perfectly innocent thread with your inane, douchey comments. Maybe you're just jealous that on your thruhike, no one cared enough about you to think about what nice things you might like in a care package...? :( so sad.

Many Walks
04-01-2010, 11:21
This is ridiculous. You asked for suggestions and I gave one. You thought it was crazy and I explained why it made sense based on experience and things I saw on the trail from a guy's perspective. You didn't care for the explanation and attacked, so now it's at the point of being comical. Perhaps it might make sense to not ridicule ideas when you ask for them. For the record, you're clueless, I didn't need care packages on our thru as my partner was with me and we had a great time. I actually applaud what you're doing with the care packages, but you might want to accept others suggestions and move on rather than destroying your own thread by posting vile comments on a hiking forum.

hellomolly
04-01-2010, 11:27
This is ridiculous. You asked for suggestions and I gave one. You thought it was crazy and I explained why it made sense based on experience and things I saw on the trail from a guy's perspective.

I would have been glad to accept your suggestion had it not been made in a mocking tone and punctuated with a useless comment insinuating that if I didn't follow your suggestion, my boyfriend will cheat on me with some "cute girl hiking in front of him with a nice tan, those great legs and toned body." That wasn't a "suggestion" with an "explanation," it was a rude cheap shot. Then when someone calls you out on it, you continue to make mocking comments. Now you seem absolutely astonished that someone would be annoyed by you. :eek: Please. :rolleyes:

Many Walks
04-01-2010, 11:30
Oh, whatever, have a good life.

Gray Blazer
04-01-2010, 11:40
As does the douchebaggery... :eek: :-?

He was blinded by the light.....

taildragger
04-01-2010, 15:57
You really shouldn't be worried about the cute smelly hiker girls, until they buy him a cheeseburger and beer in town, then all bets are off.

Moral of the story, beer + cheeseburger + saucy photo = awesome carepackage

The Old Fhart
04-01-2010, 16:41
Many Walks-"This is ridiculous. You asked for suggestions and I gave one. You thought it was crazy and I explained why it made sense based on experience and things I saw on the trail from a guy's perspective........"Keep in mind that the only perspective Many Walks is speaking of is his own. Having been on the trail for a few years I can say that the trail generally doesn't change people-if they start out with an attitude and slanted perspective like MW they will incorrectly assume everyone is as base as they are.

I met one young guy on the trail who had a ring on a necklace that he was going to give his GF when he finished. You will find more people like that, of either gender, on the trail than the description MW used to describe his outlook. He deserves only pity.

Although a cheeseburger or two as bait might change the equation......;)

Many Walks
04-01-2010, 17:12
I was addressing a real simple theory here. A young guy away from his GF for 5 months with others who enjoy the same interests. I don't know him and can't say he'll stray, but I simply gave an option to help keep his mind on her. It's not as warped as you imply, just a fact of life with some in their younger years.

emerald
04-01-2010, 17:18
A new pair of socks or a shirt of the preferred kind would likely be appreciated.

hellomolly
04-02-2010, 07:31
I was addressing a real simple theory here. A young guy away from his GF for 5 months with others who enjoy the same interests. I don't know him and can't say he'll stray, but I simply gave an option to help keep his mind on her. It's not as warped as you imply, just a fact of life with some in their younger years.

Ok, fair enough. I get your point, though I think your original post could have made that exact same point without seeming quite so inconsiderate...

but aaaaanyway, to get back on topic....

Emerald, good suggestion.. didn't think of that, but now it seems so obvious. He has a supply of socks I've been mailing him but I bet a new shirt would be much appreciated... or maybe a new pair of merino boxers or something, hmm.

Hope he throws away the old ones instead of mailing them back, lol.

sparro
04-02-2010, 07:40
self-addressed stamped envelope w/ sheet of paper; cheap battery-operated mp3 player with favorite music (or audio books), extra battery....:-?

Gray Blazer
04-02-2010, 07:52

Donate them to the AT Museum.

Heavy G
04-02-2010, 08:26
Beef jerky, beer and some lady lovin.... now thats a quality mail drop!

emerald
04-02-2010, 10:37

Maybe you should make your gift conditional upon acceptance of those terms.:-?:)

Donate them to the AT Museum.

Please send him a complete change of clothes under the terms just suggested well before Pine Grove Furnace SP.

kanga
04-04-2010, 15:42
And here I am thinking someone who has thruhiked must have at least one redeeming quality...

nope, you're just a dick. Oh well.

http://firstfriday.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/dbotw_sm.jpg

sorry, just thought it needed to be said again. too funny girl!

10-K
04-04-2010, 16:41
Cash money.

Lightweight, never goes bad and he can get what he wants/needs when he needs it.

Not exactly romantic, but infinitely practical.

DapperD
06-06-2010, 13:05
Hypothetically speaking... if you were thruhiking right now and someone (let's say a girlfriend) was sending you a mail drop, what non-essential item would you enjoy seeing as a surprise in that drop? I'm organizing my boyfriend's maildrops and besides the common things that I've already done - cookies, photos, uncommon snacks like his fave candy and notes/letters - what else would be a welcome surprise in a maildrop? I guess I'm pretty restricted because of weight and space issues but besides those things I mentioned, I'm running out of ideas. I'd love to mail beer... don't think I can tho. :(How about one of these:http://www.snapgifts.com/mcdonalds-gift-card.html

Doctari
06-06-2010, 13:41
I always like it when my wife sends me a short post card. I like a post card best because sometimes I actually keep them with me as I hike. She randomly sends one of encouragement alternating with the occasional "I miss you, wish you were home!" heart breaker type. :p

She also sends food, usually the stuff I can't get on the trail, like: Unsweetened dried Cherries. Homemade Jerky. etc.

Other stuff I would like, & have gotten a few times: New (MY BRAND / SIZE) socks, Batteries (I only carry AAA), REPLACEMENT ear phones for my MP3 player (it's amazing how easy it is to trash a pair of them, & I always like getting a spare pair in the mail, having struck out at 3 separate stores looking for replacements in town before), a small book to read in town.

A hint: NEVER send something you want back or expect your hiker to keep, that MAY not happen.

rickb
06-06-2010, 15:46
Holding a guy's dog as collateral is beyond the pale.

I am shocked beyond words!

Seriously, get him a gift certificate for a massage at a trail town down the way. Preferably at the classiest 4 star place you can afford (or find).

Apart from being enjoyable in its own right, his fellow hikers reaction will add to the fun. If a massage is out of his comfort zone to begin with, all the better-- in that case you would be giving him a memory that will last a life time.

beakerman
06-06-2010, 20:56
Actually I was thinking a hand delivered care package would be the best...wouldn't matter what was in the freaking box as long as my GF/wife delivered it to me in person I'd be happy just to see her. forget the package.

Tinker
06-06-2010, 22:39
Cash money.

Lightweight, never goes bad and he can get what he wants/needs when he needs it.

Not exactly romantic, but infinitely practical.

Cash isn't a practical thing to mail. I think I learned that when I was about 6 and sent in some money for a toy on a cereal box ;). I don't know too much about those prepaid debit cards, but I imagine you could send him one and call him with the password. Plastic doesn't get soggy like bills.

Doctari
06-06-2010, 22:54
Actually I was thinking a hand delivered care package would be the best...wouldn't matter what was in the freaking box as long as my GF/wife delivered it to me in person I'd be happy just to see her. forget the package.

After giving it some thought, This one wins in my book.

I also second the Cash or prepaid credit card suggestion. Ment to put that in mine, but forgot, :rolleyes:

bluffhead
06-06-2010, 23:19
you can put vodka in a listerine bottle , thats how we got it to iraq

Speakeasy TN
06-16-2010, 05:10
You really shouldn't be worried about the cute smelly hiker girls, until they buy him a cheeseburger and beer in town, then all bets are off.

Moral of the story, beer + cheeseburger + saucy photo = awesome carepackage

LMAO........as a male the truth of this is scary! I'm sure my wife is not above "marking her territory"! What a great way to start the day!:banana