PDA

View Full Version : PocketMail - Bankrupt?

hiker_sue
03-30-2010, 11:33
Hi

Does anyone know if pocketmail is still in business?

I activated my pocketmail account a few weeks ago and had no trouble signing up or sending and receiving email but now it's not working. I am leaving tomorrow for my thru hike so I wanted to setup email forwarding but I can't reach pocketmail. I have tried all the 1-800 numbers, the website, tech support but no response.

This is very frustrating as I was planning to use pocketmail as my main form of communication from the trail and now I am not sure if I should leave it at home.

Does anyone know what's up with pocketmail?

Thanks

Rocket Jones
03-30-2010, 19:47
According to a few pocketmail user sites, it looks like it went dead without warning. Folks are understandably livid, especially since it seems subscription fees continued to be charged.

The only thing that seemed to sorta consistantly work is an email to [email protected] ([email protected])

Might want to block payment to them from your credit card if that's what you used.

Mags
03-30-2010, 19:58
The Pocketmail folks have been having financial difficulties for 5+ yrs now. I am not surprised they finally went kaput.

It is antiquated technology while good for what we use it for, it is not so useful for most people.

A modern PocketMail like device is this guy:
http://www.getpeek.com/

I have not used it personally; other have people have on Postholer.com and for Trailjournals.com.

Bleemus
03-31-2010, 01:13
Not too familiar with how TrailJournals.com works but can't you just do it with an Iphone?

Spokes
03-31-2010, 01:46
Mags make some excellent points. I'm not sure why anyone would get a Pocketmail device in today's environment considering what smartphones have to offer.

WalkingStick75
08-13-2010, 18:22
If you still have a pocketmail you can't use it to send mail but you can use it to keep your journal. This is what I do:

I use the composer utility to backup the pocketmail then I use Word with the file type option as "recover text from any file" and select the outbox.dat file from your backup data.

This will recover your journal in word format. Edit as needed.

Smile
08-13-2010, 23:04
Glad I saw this thread, was just about to list one for sale :)

generoll
08-14-2010, 08:42
check this out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PocketMail

Smile
08-14-2010, 22:45
Ok, so I should save mine.....it might one day be an antique :)