PDA

View Full Version : Where is Matt Saucier and Erika Dexter?

Kel, the "Stickman"
03-30-2010, 12:57
Need help... Matt and Erika have not posted since March 15th, and folks are getting concerned... The last journal post was as follows...

Matt Saucier Erika Dexter's 2010
Appalachian Trail Journal

First (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=297932) Previous (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=300741) Next Last
Monday, March 15, 2010
Destination: Fontana Lodge
Starting Location: Fontana Lodge
Today's Miles: 0.00
Trip Miles: 175.00
Zero day.
Still rainy out.
Rumor has it that the Smokies have not been successfuly crossed by a thru hiker yet. Nobody can get through the waist high snow and all the blow downs.
Not good news. We will probably take the bad weather blue blaze trail, the name of which I am drawing a blank to right now. This trail will add about another 50 miles or so.
We really dont like having to do this, but we cant afford to hold tight at hotels and shelters too long to wait it out so this is our best alternative... Matt and Erika

If anyone has seen them, or might be able to check shelter logs, it would be so appreciated by their families!
Thanks, and God Bless,
Stickman

bulldog49
03-30-2010, 15:22
Sounds as if they were talking about going through the Smokies on the BMT. Has anyone checked with Curtis at Standing Bear Farm to find out if they stopped there?

Kel, the "Stickman"
03-30-2010, 17:18
This is part of an e-mail that I just recieved...

"and Nancy said they heard from Matt on the 20th and were opting to take the longer trail which added 50 miles to the trip, but was out of the snow more, and "not to worry".......... it would be the longest stretch that they would not be able to get in touch ........but that was still 10 days ago......... 50 miles in 10 days? i could do that!........maybe?"

Hmmm... that accounts for a few more days. Anyone else able to help?

Kel, the "Stickman"
03-30-2010, 18:21
Sounds as if they were talking about going through the Smokies on the BMT. Has anyone checked with Curtis at Standing Bear Farm to find out if they stopped there?

Thank you, Bulldog, good thinking! I just sent an e-mail out to Curtis, and am hopeful for a reply.

Stickman

Kel, the "Stickman"
03-30-2010, 20:54
Latest tidbit that I got... this is a part of e-mail I recieved...

received 2 packages from Matt and Erika today. No notes or news were enclosed but the packages were sent March 27th from Hot Springs, NC. So as of Saturday, they were fine.

So... looks like all is OK! Thank you all for helping look, much appreciated. ...ONE OTHER THING!!!... I have encouraged "the family" to impress upon each other the need to SHARE info with each other, and for them to request more frequent updates from their hikers. Anyone else out hiking/planning to hike should remember the folks, family, friends back home, who NEED a little reassurance. After all, you will adjust to trail life much faster than they will adjust to your removal from their lives.

Now... Happy hiking, and God's Blessings!

Stickman
http://www.scripturesticks.com/

bulldog49
03-31-2010, 07:28
Good news and good advice.