PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a pack for my girlfriend!!

Chrisj
03-30-2010, 13:23
I'm looking for a good weekend pack that would have enough room for maybe a week long trip. The pack I'm looking for is going to be for my girlfriend. She isn't use to hiking with a pack so I was thinking something light but really comfortable.

I haven't looked into packs for women so I have no idea what to look for or even where I should start.:confused:
Please help me.

skinewmexico
03-30-2010, 13:25
Gossamer Gear Gorilla.

Feral Bill
03-30-2010, 13:28
Gather up all her gear and head to a good outfitter. Put said gear in various packs. Have her carry packs around and see what she likes. Buy that pack.

butts0989
03-30-2010, 13:45
+1 gorilla

ChrisFol
03-30-2010, 15:12
:(
Gather up all her gear and head to a good outfitter. Put said gear in various packs. Have her carry packs around and see what she likes. Buy that pack.

+1

She is the one who is going to wearing it, so it must be comfortable for her. Take her to your local REI or similar with her gear and load up some packs.

bigcranky
03-30-2010, 15:18
+1 on Feral Bill.

Imagine your girlfriend asking her online friends about buying you something as personal as a pack. Something that has to fit exactly right, but comes in hundreds of versions that all fit a little differently.

If the pack is uncomfortable, she won't like hiking. Then where will you be?

My lovely wife has been hiking for 30 years, and for her last pack purchase she must have tried on 30 different packs before she found the right one.

Suggestions:

Osprey Ariel or Aura series, Gregory women's Z packs, REI women's Flash packs, Granite Gear Vapor Ki.

My wife found that the cottage gear packs were mostly designed for men, with shoulder harnesses that rubbed wrong in various places. Not sure that's changed, and I've never seen the Gorilla, so YMMV.

grayfox
03-30-2010, 15:46
I gotta go along with Bill here "see what she likes. Buy that pack." Even if it's pink and you would be embarrassed to be seen .....

Get help measuring torso length. Look for a pack with some frame and hip belt to it. Look at women specific packs unless she is very tall. There are so many torso sizes made now that it can be really confusing to recommend a size as there is no usefull cross industry comparison.

Deuter women's packs of appropriate size are very nice. 65 liter is really big-55 liter is still big--45 is probably about right for AT trails with a partner.

Osprey Talon 44 is nice and very light for its size.

Golite Quset is large and light but not much for padding.

If I were gifting a loved one--I would go with the Deuter and make up for the extra weight of the pack by carring a bit extra myself. But let her make the choice-packs make bad 'surprise' gifts IMO.

butts0989
03-30-2010, 16:40
if you're not going to go with ultralight packs i would without a doubt go with osprey. they really have a huge selection and have always been extremely impressed by their quality.

Tinker
03-30-2010, 17:01
I wish I could give advice on women's packs, but I'm not a woman. Like the other guys said, take her out and let her pick the pack. I imagine a few women will add their experience/expertise in this area.

beep
03-30-2010, 18:52
Another vote for the Gossamer Gear Gorilla...tough, light, and flexible enough for anything from daytripping to longer trips!

skinewmexico
03-30-2010, 22:33
Gossamer Gear is coming out with woman specific straps and belts for their packs. Worth a try. Most women like light.

goedde2
03-31-2010, 10:46
I'm looking for a good weekend pack that would have enough room for maybe a week long trip. The pack I'm looking for is going to be for my girlfriend. She isn't use to hiking with a pack so I was thinking something light but really comfortable.

I haven't looked into packs for women so I have no idea what to look for or even where I should start.:confused:
Please help me.
Have you considered the Gregory z 65? It's pretty light, very comfortable, and has several nice features.

bfree
03-31-2010, 18:18
+ 1 for Feral Bill

CowHead
03-31-2010, 19:47
just make sure it can carry all of your stuff and her's that way you can take more alcohol

Wolf - 23000
04-01-2010, 01:20
As several previous post have said, let her choice the right pack or gear for herself. I know your trying to help her get into hiking but this has to be something she finds for herself.

Best thing to do is:

Figure out how much weight she will be willing to carry on her pack. The pack should be the last item you pick up.

Go to an outfitter and let her try it out several packs for herself, adding in the weight she plans on carrying (or gear she plans on using if possible).

Help her adjust the pack and let her tell you how she feels. I think your girlfriend will like the fact that you willing to let them choice for herself the gear that is right for her and not something you picked up.

Wolf

Disney
04-01-2010, 15:10
Head to an outfitter that won't mind her trying them on. A big box store is going to have people that once saw a mountain in a magazine, and won't like you trying them on.

vonfrick
04-01-2010, 15:56
just make sure it can carry all of your stuff and her's that way you can take more alcohol
http://whttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing021.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)ww.freesmileys.orhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing021.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)g/smileys/smiley-laughing021.gif

vonfrick
04-01-2010, 15:56
wow...post fail...sheesh

Tamerlin
04-01-2010, 16:35
Get her a custom-fitted McHale pack ;)

Ladytrekker
04-01-2010, 18:12
I have been using an Osprey Ariel 65 thought I loved it, hiked 30 miles this past weekend and it is a beast. Weighs in at 4/14 and I found I really do not like the fanny pack that sits on top it just becomes a huge pain.

I purchased today a ULA Circuit and got the message that it was shipped today and I am past excited it weighs 2.25 and will force to me pack light.

Thought I was not an ultralight I can tell you this most of my gear is getting replaced I will not carry more than 35 lbs ever again and I am going to take as much of that as I can off.

So when getting a pack weight matters.

Alli
04-06-2010, 12:30
I highly recommend the Deuter Act Zero 55+10 SL, it's 3lbs 3 oz which is pretty good for a beginner.