PDA

View Full Version : How many pictures you took during thru hike?

Flash Hand
10-12-2004, 00:46
For 2,174 miles Thru Hike,

How many did you take pictures? Just want to know how many so that we can prepare with budgets. Also, what kind of camera did you use with that amount of pictures you took. Just need some kind of information on how many pictures we would normally take during thruhike.

Flash Hand :jump

rocket04
10-12-2004, 08:29
I took about 550 pics. They all fit on a 256MB CompactFlash card using resolutions of 1024x768 for the first half of my hike and 1600x1200 for the second half of my hike (I took more pics in second half). I used a Canon Powershot A70 and was pleased with the results.

Youngblood
10-12-2004, 10:34
I took about 550 pics. They all fit on a 256MB CompactFlash card using resolutions of 1024x768 for the first half of my hike and 1600x1200 for the second half of my hike (I took more pics in second half). I used a Canon Powershot A70 and was pleased with the results.

Rocket,

If you got a 'do over', would you do anything differently regarding the CF card memory size/photo resolution? Was cold weather and rain particularly challenging with the digital camera?

Youngblood

rocket04
10-12-2004, 10:53
Rocket,

If you got a 'do over', would you do anything differently regarding the CF card memory size/photo resolution? Was cold weather and rain particularly challenging with the digital camera?

Youngblood
Cold weather and rain were no problem. I had the camera in a fanny pack around my waist and put it inside a ziplock when it rained. Sometimes if I saw it was raining hard I would just put it in my pack to make sure since I wouldn't get it out to take a picture in pouring rain anyway. The oinly problem I had was through my own stupidity. When I first forded a stream in Maine that wasn't so deep, I kept the fanny pack around my waist and didn't put the camera in the ziplock. Needless to say, I lost my footing and the fanny pack dipped a bit in water a few times. It caused the camera to have some issues, but after shaking it a bit it worked OK again.

If you don't want to put all your eggs in one basket, you may want to have multiple flash cards in case one goes bad. Also, it allows you to mail them home and pictures can be shared as you go. I didn't do that, so one card with large capacity worked for me. Luckily, it didn't get damaged, although I admit it's a risk. I also didn't hike in much cold weather, only April 15 in Georgia where it got down to 20, and then in the Smokies, same temperature one night.

A-Train
10-12-2004, 17:43
Took a tad over 400 pictures-not nearly enough. If I were to hike the AT again, I'd take 50% more, maybe twice as much. Of course this had a lot to do with the very wet year we had in 03' particualryl in the mid-atlantic, where there wasn't always a lot of pretty sights. Never the less I recommend taking lots of photos, and lots of pics of people. Sure views are great, but you'll drive urself crazy trying to capture every view. By the Smokies I gave up and just took the spectacular ones. When your months and yrs removed from the AT its the friends you made who'll be the most important.

I used point and click Olympus camera with advantex fiilm. Pretty good pictures. Just got a Canon Powershot A 60. Takes great pix but is heavy for the weight nazi's (11oz)

rocket04
10-12-2004, 18:28
Never the less I recommend taking lots of photos, and lots of pics of people. Sure views are great, but you'll drive urself crazy trying to capture every view. By the Smokies I gave up and just took the spectacular ones. When your months and yrs removed from the AT its the friends you made who'll be the most important.
Couldn't agree more. I wish I had more pics of people. But at the same time, I hate being constantly preoccupied with taking pics. It seems to distract me from just enjoying the hanging out and good times. Now it's just fun to see when new pics are uploaded on White Blaze and I can identify people I met on them.

And I forgot to mention the A70 is also on the heavy side. But well worth carrying IMO.

chigger
10-30-2004, 23:11
i took just over 100 pictures on disposable cameras for the first half of my hike. at Boiling Springs i switched to an Olympus all-weather digital camera and took over 600 pictures in the next 1000 miles. it was a bit of a struggle at first to convince myself to go digital since i am a bit of a neoluddite when it comes to photography, but i was super-pleased when i switched because i could take tons of pictures and re-shoot ones that didn't come out and still not have to worry about running out of film. also, the pictures came out much better from my digital camera because it works with a wider range of lighting situations. if my memory card started filling up, i just headed into a pharmacy or photo shop in town that had one of those kodak machines and made a disk of my pictures to send home. and rain wasn't an issue with the "weather resistant" camera- i had it in a pouch on my hip belt getting soaked through all kinds of storms without a single problem. in the end, it probably ended up costing not too much more than the disposables would have by the time i bought them, processed the film, etc. my only regret is that i didn't use the digital camera from the beginning.

Jaybird
04-03-2005, 21:40
i'm a lowly section-hiker....

BUT, i take mucho digital photos along my merry way....i took just over 400 last year in my 7 days with "the Model T crew (http://www.modelt.net)" (Clingmans Dome to Hot Springs).

This year i plan on taking nearly 1,000 in just over 3 weeks!

see ya'll out there: Apr 28-May 5 (w/"the Model T crew (http://www.modelt.net)") Hot Springs-Erwin
May 6 & 7 Carvers Gap back to Erwin
May 8-20 Damascus to Pearisburg,VA