PDA

View Full Version : Boots vs. Shoes

KilmerSidearmsTheVan
03-30-2010, 16:38
I own the Kayland Zephyr (mid-weight boot; 46.6 oz.; website: http://us.kayland.com/details.php?id=57)

and

I own Merrell Moab cross-trainers/trail runners (waterproof; 34.2 oz.; website: www.merrell.com/US/en-us/Product.mvc.aspx/M-F-F/12465M/0/Men/Footwear/Filters/Mens/Moab-GORE-TEX-XCR).

Any thoughts on which of these I should wear, or do you recommend something altogether different?

Thanks, in advance, for the input.

Tinker
03-30-2010, 16:43
Whatever won't give you blisters. That's the most important thing.
I've found most boots to be stiff enough in the sole that they cause the back of the heel to rub against my heels causing blisters on top of them. Some very soft boots work ok for me, but I prefer the coolness of lower footwear and, of course, the less weight you have to lift with each step the better. Re: ankle twisting - I went to lighter footwear as my pack lightened up, and I suspect my ankles strengthened with the change. The only thing boots do for me now is to keep shallow water from splashing down the ankle, but anyone who hikes multiple days knows that eventually your feet will get wet, and the faster the footwear dries the happier your feet will be.

fredmugs
04-01-2010, 10:11
I wear basic Nike Air Monarch III shoes. Very light and the most comfortable walking shoes I have ever owned. My foot pain and blisters have gone away since I started hiking in them.

Hikingsasquatch
04-01-2010, 11:26
I've hiked in rugged full-grain leather upper midweight hiking boots and sneakers. Full disclosure: A light pack for me is 25 pounds. However, I am about 195 pounds in good shape.
Recently, I considered sneakers, which work fine for some of the most seasoned backpackers; however, sneakers don't offer me enough ankle support for sketchy terrain.
So, I went back to the boots, looking for something lighter and more breathable than my old Vasque Sundowners and Tecnica Pegasus boots. I picked up a pair of Garmont Kiowa Vegan boots which are a bit lighter, more breathable, and more responsive with a nice blend of flexibility and support. The uppers just cover the ankles, offering the lateral stability and ankle protection that I prefer. Plus, they have a Gore-tex lining. Campsaver has them for under $80 now. I'll let you know how they work out after my upcoming 100-mile section hike through the NC/TN AT.

MyFeetHurt
04-02-2010, 15:54
My thru-hike converted me into a trail runner hiker. I had always hiked in boots prior to my thru, but since I only hike in trail runners, unless I KNOW the weather is going to be miserable cold and wet.

It's amazing how much better my feet feel at the end of a long day. Every hiker is different though, and to each their own, but I'm a convert. I'm especially partial to New Balance. Just recently blew some of my REI dividend on a new pair of 813s....

wcgornto
04-02-2010, 16:35
I thru hiked last year in Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra trail runners. Perfect hiking footwear for me. Most people who wear these have good results.

sbhikes
04-02-2010, 22:29
I'm going to bring a pair of Feelmax Osmas on a backpack trip this weekend. I plan to try to hike a little in them but I don't expect I can go the whole way. I will also bring some regular running shoes as my main shoes. If you don't know what Feelmax Osmas are, they are kind of like moccasins that look like running shoes. I've decided to try to step up the minimalism a bit.