PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Mount Rogers?

Cooldays
03-30-2010, 20:27
Can you make a suggestion for my upcoming trip?

I will be hiking in friday early am, with some friends who are in the 5 mile or less range, setting up camp, going for a quick day hike and then returning for dinner to the campsite. They will leave in the am the way the came and I'd like to continue for another night and return the following morning. Any suggestions would be welcome or I'll just be making a random guess with a map.

Thanks so much for your input!

cooldays

emerald
03-30-2010, 20:33
Listen for Northern Bobwhites (http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Northern_Bobwhite/id) and tell us if you hear one. I'd be interested in learning about any other birds you observe. Check on this post again. I may add something to it.

Tennessee Viking
03-30-2010, 20:51
If you want campgrounds, there is Graysons, Grindstone, and Bear Tree. All have trails on site, short walk, or short drive; ex the AT, Creeper, Iron Mtn, or other trails.

emerald
03-30-2010, 20:53
How about links? I'll get to them a bit later if someone else doesn't.

emerald
03-30-2010, 21:10
Grayson Highlands SP (http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/gra.shtml)
Mount Rogers NRA (http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/gwj/mr/)

You may also want to refer to relevant portions of ALDHA's Companion linked at the bottom of each of my posts.

emerald
03-30-2010, 21:39
If you intend to hike to Mount Rogers, you may already know it's Virginia's high point at 57-some hundred feet. It's summit is wooded. Frazer fir grows there.

Whitetop might be more interesting.

There are locals who will provide more information. Stay loose with your plans for now. More information will be provided by others in the next two days.

JJJ
03-30-2010, 23:34
Park at Elk Garden

Take the AT north to Thomas Knob Shelter or as far as Rhododendron Gap -about 5 miles

Set up camp

Go back to the Mt Rogers summit for a day hike. No vista, but interesting forest.
Or walk down the Wilburn Ridge blue blaze, climbing the granite knob -a lot of vista

Next day you can make a loop of the AT and the Pine Mt Trail about 11 miles before heading back.

Cooldays
03-31-2010, 20:37
is there water at rhodedendrom gap where I can set up? that seems lke a good idea. I don't see a shelter there but I don't really want to stay in a shelter per se.

thanks again

cooldays

SawnieRobertson
04-01-2010, 09:10
Check the weather alert for the Mt. Rogers area (Smyth County) for today. It is absolutely unbelievable. Although muddy from top to bottom, we are in a fire alert because of what's a-comin.' At least it looks as though rain-ice-snow will not be a problem. Well, maybe not. LOL hysterically.--Kinnickinic

SawnieRobertson
04-01-2010, 09:12
Park at Elk Garden

Take the AT north to Thomas Knob Shelter or as far as Rhododendron Gap -about 5 miles

Set up camp

Go back to the Mt Rogers summit for a day hike. No vista, but interesting forest.
Or walk down the Wilburn Ridge blue blaze, climbing the granite knob -a lot of vista

Next day you can make a loop of the AT and the Pine Mt Trail about 11 miles before heading back.

I disagree about Elk Garden. This is a vandalism/theft area for vehicles, and the ATC lists Elk Garden as one of the places not to park. You have alternatives. For instance, there is a backpackers' parking lot within the confines of Grayson Highlands State Park. I'd do my homework on this one.--Kinnickinic

Tennessee Viking
04-01-2010, 09:45
Sounds like you are group, and going to be camping for a few days. If you are going to camping at a shelter, be sure to give thru-hikers the shelter.

I also second on avoiding to park at Elk Gardens for a few days. Its has been known to be a vandalism spot last couple years. You would get more security at Graysons, and its only $2-3 a day.

By the way, if this matters, Thomas Knob Shelter doesn't allow campfires.

Graysons actually might be better since you can access the AT and all sorts of trails from there. If you want more privacy without thru-hikers coming through then maybe Pine Mountan Trail or Iron Mtn Trail.

Wild Type
04-01-2010, 09:50
I agree with the Elk Garden analysis. I parked my truck there three years ago without incident but ran into some fairly odd transients camped out there that were not backpackers (see trek reports on http://horizontaltread.blogspot.com/ ).

You might want to consider one of the shuttle services operating out of Damascus, if for no other reason than to make sure your vehicle is in a secure lot while on the trail.

MRO is first rate (http://mtrogersoutfitters.com/ )

SawnieRobertson
04-01-2010, 10:24
Excuse me. I did not know that thru-hikers ever had first dibs on shelter space. When I was on my thru-attempt, I enjoyed sharing shelter space with the section people. They were so full of "it," whether that means excitement to be there or fear of what would happen while there. It's first come, first serve, I believe. Section hikers are not second class citizens.--Kinnickinic