PDA

View Full Version : Thru-hikers in northern pa mid-june?

shwn354
03-30-2010, 20:50
Hey all,
I thru-hiked in '08, well mostly. I got to port clinton in august before deciding that to make it to K-tad on time i would have to miss a chunk of trail. My friends and I headed up to Rutland for the festival there, before chugging on through maine. I think that this summer I will try to finish the bit between port clinton and rutland. I'm trying to do the math in my head, and I feel like the biggest pack of thru's will still be south of there in mid-june, but am I wrong? How crowded does everybody think the trail might be that time of year. And yes, I know I'm probably in for some nasty bugs.

fiddlehead
03-30-2010, 21:06
The last time i NOBO'd was in '95.
I came through Port Clinton around my birthday (July 24th)
I was with lots of other thru's but I believe the bubble was about 3 weeks in front of us.
July 4th in Port CLinton would be the bubble in my estimation.
At least that was how it was in '95.
This year appears to be a bad weather year which could just mean lower numbers of thru's or, could mean they'd be a little later IMO.

emerald
03-30-2010, 21:16
Late June or early July would be a more traditional time frame, but through hikers get here earlier and later now. The NOBO window is wide open.

Whether or not the A.T. is crowded when they pass would be a matter of personal opinion. It's more traffic than I relish, but I'm a solo hiker more interested in solitude and wildlife.

SOBOs are ordinarily here in September if anyone cares.