PDA

View Full Version : Fontana Post Office

Chicken Feathers
03-31-2010, 09:52
Need some info Mailed my resupply box to Fontana Dam P O and Hiker on box with ETA on box. Got back notice that it will only be held for 15 days. I thought they would hold for 30 days. Hope someone answers would hate to get there and resupply has been sent back. Thanks :-?

kayak karl
03-31-2010, 10:03
Need some info Mailed my resupply box to Fontana P O and got back notice that it will only be held for 15 days. I thought they would hold for 30 days. Hope someone answers would hate to get there and resupply has been sent back. Thanks :-?
that is a really small Mayberry type post office. when i was there it was running on a generator, because dam was down for repairs. call them!

Spokes
03-31-2010, 10:13
Fontana was the one and only WORST Post Office experience I had on last years thru. The Post Mistress there was an enigma- a downright dreadful woman. She yelled at or argued with almost every thru who came in the door, threatened to deny delivery of maildrops if the label wasn't "legible" and provided the crappiest customer service possible.

Give her my regards if you see her........

http://mrg.bz/B7JKoe

Spokes
04-02-2010, 02:11

Marta
04-02-2010, 07:23
Whoever is in charge of the PO has a lot of discretion in terms of how long they hold boxes and whatnot. In their defense, as a SOBO I ran into some nasty situations at a couple of POs. The Postmistress of the Port Clinton PO and I examined various boxes that had been in her PO for months. She wanted to know if I knew any of these people, and thought they might still come through, or if they had abandoned their hikes. One of the boxes had bugs crawling out of it.

The Flatulator
04-02-2010, 09:40
Does anyone know if the post office in Fontana will be open on Saturdays? I see where the hours were 10-12, but all things being and the postal service being what it is, I heard they may not be open over the weekend. Looks like I will be doing a couple of longer days to get there before if this is the case.....

Pedaling Fool
04-02-2010, 09:42
Fontana was the one and only WORST Post Office experience I had on last years thru. The Post Mistress there was an enigma- a downright dreadful woman. She yelled at or argued with almost every thru who came in the door, threatened to deny delivery of maildrops if the label wasn't "legible" and provided the crappiest customer service possible.

Give her my regards if you see her........

Probably a good reason for her being so "dreadful". I imagine she has been treated in an equally "dreadful" manner by some entitled hikers.

Whoever is in charge of the PO has a lot of discretion in terms of how long they hold boxes and whatnot. In their defense, as a SOBO I ran into some nasty situations at a couple of POs. The Postmistress of the Port Clinton PO and I examined various boxes that had been in her PO for months. She wanted to know if I knew any of these people, and thought they might still come through, or if they had abandoned their hikes. One of the boxes had bugs crawling out of it.
Those people are lucky they had such a nice person putting forth so much effort in their packages; I would have just tossed them in my compost pile.

Rain Man
04-02-2010, 09:45

If you are just whining here, that does little good. On the other hand, if you reported this conduct to the proper authorities at the P.O., then you showed concern for hikers coming after you.

Rain Man

Rain Man
04-02-2010, 09:48
One of the boxes had bugs crawling out of it.

I am always surprised at people who ship food or anything that might attract pests, and fail to put the individual packages into zip locks and the entire contents into a large garbage bag, and then tape all edges and seams of the box securely. Even if the box is broken in transit, the contents should be doubly sealed from pests. Otherwise, shame on the shipper, not the P.O.

You might be able to discern that I've shipped food to daughters in Latin and South America! LOL

Rain Man

Marta
04-02-2010, 11:48
...Otherwise, shame on the shipper, not the P.O.

What amazed me was that the Postmistress was sincerely distressed about deciding what to do with this disgusting package. She was way more concerned about inconveniencing the sender/recipient than the the thoughtless fool who sent the package deserved.