PDA

View Full Version : Warranty returns

flemdawg1
03-31-2010, 09:55
After a summer of hard use I had to return 3 items to their manufacturers for warranty replacement. And even though it cost me a grand total of $43 to return ship all 3 thru UPS (USPS probably woulda been cheaper) I recieved new replacements for all 3.

What I returned:
Big Agnes Air core Mummy pad: had a small leak that I couldnt find/fix myself, was replaced free.

Leatherman Juice SC2: hold back for knife blade had broken, not allowing the knife to lock open, replaced free by Leatherman w/ a new Juice SC6 (has extra saw blade and a couple of flat screwdrivers more than the SC2)

Camelbak Omega 70l bladder: had pinhole leak near screw cap, replaced free by CB w/ a new bladder.

What have you returned, and were you happy w/ the service you received?

gohawks
03-31-2010, 10:29
I had a defective double rainbow. The first replacement I was sent also suffered from the same malady. Henry was very gracious and made everything right.

Had to get a replacement buckle for a children's granite gear pack. They charged me an exhorbitant amount to ship a .10 buckle that . Something like $8. Maybe they can only use UPS?

Sierra Designs was disappointing. My rain jacket wetted out after a few hours of use, they just recommended a DWR restoration product.

Rick500
03-31-2010, 10:35
Returned my Superfeet after several weeks because they started to bother my feet. Store took them back with no problems and Superfeet reimbursed them. Got Montrail insole instead.

Spokes
03-31-2010, 11:02
I carried the LaFuma X650 Pro 40 degree bag during warm weather on last years thru and after about 4 weeks the inside zipper baffle shredded apart. I called LaFuma and they sent me a new one- no hassle! They did request I return the old one so they could see exactly what went wrong.

white_russian
03-31-2010, 11:40
I had a Gregory pack that needed work. The guy I talked to on the phone was super cool. I got them to pick up the tab for shipping it back to them.

I had a Hennessey hammock that has a seam start coming apart on me out in the woods. They cross shipped me a new one and reimbursed me for my cost shipping the defect back. They gave me no problems either.

Now my bad experience is with Solomon. I had a pair coming apart on me in the middle of Maine. The guy very much didn't want to deal with me. After a while of him making excuses he said he would ship me a new pair to NH, but they never came. I eventually just bought a new pair. I even called back a couple of weeks after I left where I sent them, but they never came. The bad thing is I like Solomon, but I guess I will just have to buy them from REI.

Some companies will pick up the shipping or reimburse you if you just ask nicely. I mean if it truly is defective why should there be any skin off my back.

ShakeyLeggs
03-31-2010, 12:08
On my hike in 01 I had some problems with my pack. It was a DANA Alpine LTW. Loved that pack. I called DANA they informed me that when I reached Gatlinburg, closest next PO on my hike, there would be a Teraplain loaner waiting on me and a return sticker to put back on the box to return the Alpine to them. Then when I got to Damascus for TD's my pack would be waiting on me at the PO with again a return sticker for the loaner. I asked if they would be at TD's and they said they would have a booth. I asked them to just send my pack with the reps and I would return the loaner to them. They found that to be a better idea and cheaper too.

As they stated the loaner was waiting on me at Gatlinburg and my pack was waiting on me with their reps at TD's. The reps totally refitted the pack and made sure everything was good to go with my pack.

My pack had one of the stays miss installed by the outfitter I bought it at and did not show itself until I got on the trail. I attempted to fix the problem but to no avail. Dana fixed it and also found a spot that abraded thru and repaired it all at no cost to me. They also cleaned the pack so that what I got it back I thought it was a totally brand new pack.

I still wish Dana was still making packs but oh well I now use Osprey packs. Just as good just as expensive.

canoehead
03-31-2010, 12:14
when you spend big money you usually get a big name brand and that comes with a life time warranty. TNF has done right by me on a number of items. that's why you get good gear.

bulldog49
03-31-2010, 13:31
I broke the zipper on my Size Moons Lunar Solo trying to set it up in the dark. It was my fault, not a product defect. Anyway, I contacted Six Moons and they said send it to them and they would repair it at no cost. Well, I received the tent back repaired like new just 8 days after I placed in the mail to them. That is customer service!

mykl
03-31-2010, 17:44
I found Sea to Summit a disappointing. I had one of their Pocket Showers that I returned because the cord that they provided with the shower snapped ans split the top of the seam. Through email they seemed cool and concerned, and asked me to send it back along with the cord. Well, it was a crap cord that got thrown in the garbage. Well, after a few weeks I get a Pocket shower back in the mail along with a letter. The letter said that they sent me a working used Pocket Shower, and they didn't replace with a new one because I didn't have the cord to send them back. I think thats BS, why would I have saved the cord? I would never have though to. At the time it broke, I was more pissed about the shower being busted and the fact that I had to climb a tree to cut down the junk cord, and yup it went right into the trash. Will make me think twice about buying or recommending Sea to Summit gear. In fact, I already avoided them with stuff sacks just the other day.
Dealt with Eureka years ago and they were cool.

flemdawg1
03-31-2010, 17:53
I found Sea to Summit a disappointing. I had one of their Pocket Showers that I returned because the cord that they provided with the shower snapped ans split the top of the seam. Through email they seemed cool and concerned, and asked me to send it back along with the cord. Well, it was a crap cord that got thrown in the garbage. Well, after a few weeks I get a Pocket shower back in the mail along with a letter. The letter said that they sent me a working used Pocket Shower, and they didn't replace with a new one because I didn't have the cord to send them back. I think thats BS, why would I have saved the cord? I would never have though to. At the time it broke, I was more pissed about the shower being busted and the fact that I had to climb a tree to cut down the junk cord, and yup it went right into the trash. Will make me think twice about buying or recommending Sea to Summit gear. In fact, I already avoided them with stuff sacks just the other day.
Dealt with Eureka years ago and they were cool.

Did they atleast replace the bad cord?

Johnny Thunder
03-31-2010, 18:40
vasque were dicks

garmont was cool

keen was really cool

henry shires was good.

REI rocks!

the north face was awesome! (took a long while but once i got someone on the phone the expedited it)

GoLite was sweet!

Vasque were dicks.

moytoy
03-31-2010, 19:01
I returned a pair of Montrail GTX boots to Campmor because I ordered a size to small. There was not any issue with defective product so I would not expect any problems and there were none. They responded to my e-mail and explained how to do the return. Very simple and I was satisfied. I probably won't order any more boots or shoes online tho. Sizing online is a problem.

Johnny Thunder
03-31-2010, 19:12
Did I mention that Vasque were a bunch of dicks? Campmor (who I didn't even buy the boots from) saw what was on my feet and asked if I'd gone the whole way with them. Nope, since DWG. They immediately replaced them and did whatever on the other end with Vasque. I didn't even ask for help at Campmor since I was already so fed up with dealing with the boot issue.

mykl
03-31-2010, 19:28
Did they atleast replace the bad cord?

Yea, they actually did, but when and if I use the shower again, I won't be using the provided cord. Fool me once....

Bati
03-31-2010, 19:54
I had a horrible experience with the North Face. The tent (Tadpole) was very poorly designed, and when I took it down in the storm due to snow piling up on our sleeping bags, one of the poles was damaged. The toll-free number was only for purchases, not for repairs, and they charged me for the replacement. I haven't purchased from them since. This was 17 years ago so it was quite difficult when you're put on hold for 20 minutes at a payphone. Based on others comments, perhaps they've gone to back to being closer to the company they used to be in the '80's.

Every time I've damaged a Dana Designs pack, the service was great. One pack was damaged while on an airplane (with assistance from the TSA), and after they saw the pack (the airline was supposed to pay for it), Dana stated that it never should have ripped the way it did, and repaired it free.

I had a Moonstone gore-tex jacket delaminate and got a new one free with no hassles, despite the wear to the original one. I've heard that Gore warranties their materials, so they should have paid for this one.

And during my hike from Amicalola to Fontana, no less then 3 pieces of REI gear had non-fatal failures. I was able to use them till Asheville and never bothered to complain to REI. I simply don't buy the REI brand name anymore.

No matter what the warranty is, if you can't make it to a town without the gear, the warranty is useless. This is something to think about if you're going ultra-lightweight in March weather.

Deadeye
03-31-2010, 21:55
L.L. Bean has a great return policy, and they stand by their stuff. Good to deal with.

Rain Man
04-01-2010, 10:52
Camelbak Omega 70l bladder: had pinhole leak near screw cap, replaced free by CB w/ a new bladder.

Interesting that you would say CamelBak. I was given a CamelBak several years ago as a birthday gift. I still remember seeing the "lifetime warranty" on the box. When it developed a leak a couple of years ago, I just duct-taped it and went on. When it developed another leak recently, I called CamelBak. They asked when I purchased it. Told them it was a gift and when. And they said in so many words "Too Bad" and said their warranty was only a year. I didn't like it, but didn't argue.

Later, I saw this CamelBak display in a store and sure enough, as for my old box, this one also proclaims "Lifetime Warranty." Needless to say, I'm NOT impressed with my call to CamelBak.

Rain Man

tuswm
04-01-2010, 10:57
MH sleeping bag- draw cord ripped

osprey- stepped on buckle, sent for free
kelty - same

!! steri pen - problem (not me) turned out to be user error but we called, sent me new one for free but asked when my next trip was and insisted on sending new one out FedEx to have it one time free of charge with out receiving old one.

MH tech fleece - fixed burn hole free (rep offered)

Tarptent - (my fault) ordered wrong ground cloth gave me correct one and paid shipping both ways for not seeing it before original shipping.

!! not happy with JET BOIL refused warranty claim for a lid. With shipping a lid is $$$

mykl
04-01-2010, 11:58
MH sleeping bag- draw cord ripped

osprey- stepped on buckle, sent for free
kelty - same

!! steri pen - problem (not me) turned out to be user error but we called, sent me new one for free but asked when my next trip was and insisted on sending new one out FedEx to have it one time free of charge with out receiving old one.

MH tech fleece - fixed burn hole free (rep offered)

Tarptent - (my fault) ordered wrong ground cloth gave me correct one and paid shipping both ways for not seeing it before original shipping.

!! not happy with JET BOIL refused warranty claim for a lid. With shipping a lid is $$$

I have a Jetboil, love it and worth the $80 I spent on it. But their accessories are rediculously priced. I saw their frying pan the other day, 50 bucks? Insane! I saw a similar, lighter one for $15. And what $40 bucks for a new cup? I guess they go on supply and demand, if you want it to fit on the stove.

mykl
04-13-2010, 13:17
I just got off the phone with Mountain Hardware about some parts I need for an old MH product. They were very nice on the phone and are sending me the parts for free. Very cool!

sherrill
04-13-2010, 14:41
I had a cleat tear off from one (REI purchased) Vasque boot that made it annoying, but not impossible, to lace up. Since they were a few years old and I was going to a lighter shoe anyway, I started using them for work boots.

I happened to be in that REI one afternoon looking for said lighter shoes while wearing the Vasque boots, and when the salesman found that I had bought them there, allowed me to do an exchange (minus the difference) for my new trail runners and told me to keep the boots.

I know a few here dislike REI for many reasons and I respect that. I also know that this was a special instance. But man, that's good service, and I made sure the store manager knew it.

Toolshed
04-13-2010, 16:24
Interesting that you would say CamelBak. I was given a CamelBak several years ago as a birthday gift. I still remember seeing the "lifetime warranty" on the box. When it developed a leak a couple of years ago, I just duct-taped it and went on. When it developed another leak recently, I called CamelBak. They asked when I purchased it. Told them it was a gift and when. And they said in so many words "Too Bad" and said their warranty was only a year. I didn't like it, but didn't argue.

Later, I saw this CamelBak display in a store and sure enough, as for my old box, this one also proclaims "Lifetime Warranty." Needless to say, I'm NOT impressed with my call to CamelBak.

Rain Man

Maybe the life expectancy of their product is 364 days....