PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta, GA hikers

bsisco
10-12-2004, 09:36
Any hikers in the Atlanta (Roswell, Alpharetta, N. Georgia) area?

I'm in Roswell and looking for some hiking partners.

Ben

Youngblood
10-12-2004, 09:44
Any hikers in the Atlanta (Roswell, Alpharetta, N. Georgia) area?

I'm in Roswell and looking for some hiking partners.

Ben

Ben,

You might want to try www.GeorgiaHikes.com . I post over there also because it is more regional. There are a few of us that try to put together hiking/backpacking trips for that area of the country.

Youngblood

bsisco
10-12-2004, 12:25
Thanks for the tip.

Ben

Goon
10-12-2004, 12:45
Shoot me an email. I'm always looking for partners. Also you might try the Atlanta Outdoor Club. They do some good hikes.

http://www.atlantaoutdoorclub.com/

Rain Man
10-12-2004, 17:46
You might also try the GA AT Club....

http://www.georgia-atclub.org/

:sun

10-14-2004, 09:03
Send us some info, or stop by the hostel and see us. We often know of people or we are hiking around N. Ga.

grandview
11-02-2004, 03:22
interested in putting something together....
grandview
augusta, ga
[email protected]

runs247
12-06-2004, 16:00
Hey Ben,
I live in Atlanta (Vinings area) and I'm always up for a hike. Drop me an email at [email protected] if interested.

Brian

orangebug
12-06-2004, 17:47
I also live in Smynings (that's an inside joke, fans). I'm keen to find some hiking buds.

Happy
12-06-2004, 21:32
Any of you guys going to do the the traditional New Years Eve on Springer?

12-07-2004, 00:26

We will be. I have talked to several others who normaly go. So far everyone is planning on being up there.

Goon
12-07-2004, 10:50
Never done the new years thing before, but was thinking about it. Do you meet on Springer or at the shelter?

MisterSweetie
12-07-2004, 11:21
Not sure I've even ever heard about the Springer thing. Do a lot of people usually go?

Dances with Mice
12-07-2004, 11:47
I'd love to be there but I'll be out of town that day. Cozumel. I'll think about y'all, tho.

Stix
12-07-2004, 18:58
Never heard of this. Anynone ever done this?

orangebug
12-07-2004, 20:43
I haven't done it, but it is a fairly recent "tradition." It stems from those who seek to be the first thru hiker of the year and decide to brave winter in the Southern Appalachains. It can also be a very neat experience of winter camping in an environment that allows a lot of wiggle room to go back to the car and get warm.

I've only heard good experiences from the event. I have a non-hiking daughter visiting during the holiday, hence I don't expect to go.

Happy
12-08-2004, 00:56
I have yet to do it either, but first learned of it two years ago in March when I started on Springer with Jan Liteshoe, Wench and Hot Dog! A local lady that shuttled someone up told me about it and how long it had been practiced, and invited me. According to her, everyone brings a dish and shares on the picnic table...not sure about this?

However, I did not go last year but read where Liteshoe, Spur and numerous other LD hikers where there and had a great time...so I will probabaly go this year! They talked of going to the Springer monument at midnight to observe
comets/shooting stars?/and shoot sprinklers.

minnesotasmith
12-08-2004, 16:02
Under an hour from Amicalola, I might add. I'm out of town half or more of the time due to my job and never know when I'll be back, though, so generally can't make commitments in advance. I'm fairly used to hiking alone, but if there's a group of WhiteBlazers making an organized outing on the AT, I'd like to hear about it.

Stix
12-08-2004, 18:30
Thanks for the info orangebug. New Years on Springer sounds like a really cool event.

Tha Wookie
12-08-2004, 21:00
i do hope to make it one of these years. I'm going to be stuck on Jost Van Dyke in the British Virgin Islands... AGAIN!

AbeHikes
01-17-2005, 14:05
I'm in Woodstock and just started hiking with 2 co-workers. [email protected] More of a plodder than a dragster... Also do Kennesaw Mountain for short warm-ups...

Tha Wookie
01-17-2005, 16:23
Would anyone be interested in a free hiker-community alcohol stove-making workshop (teachers and learners invited) this spring in April or May at Murphy Candler Park in northern ATL?

It'd be a great time/place to share "stove-craft" and meet some other local hikers.

I'd be willing to organize.

There is also an easy yet nice 1-mile lake loop hike there we could do.

:D

Dances with Mice
01-17-2005, 20:14
Would anyone be interested in a free hiker-community alcohol stove-making workshop (teachers and learners invited) this spring in April or May at Murphy Candler Park in northern ATL?

It'd be a great time/place to share "stove-craft" and meet some other local hikers.

I'd be willing to organize.

There is also an easy yet nice 1-mile lake loop hike there we could do.

:D

I'm interested and could have stuff to share.

Whereinthehell's Candler Park?

AbeHikes
01-17-2005, 23:38
Contact Information

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 summary="" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=baseline align=right width=150 bgColor=#ffffcc>Owner:
</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>DeKalb County Parks and Recreation
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=baseline align=right width=150 bgColor=#ffffcc>Address:
</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>1551 West Nancy Creek Drive Atlanta, GA 30319
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=baseline align=right width=150 bgColor=#ffffcc>Phone:
</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>(404) 371-2631
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>