View Full Version : Choice b/t these tents

Peanut
03-31-2010, 12:01
So I'm narrowing down my choices and these are ones I have left:

-Hubba hubba
- BA Seedhouse SL2
- Marmot Aura 2
- any comparable Mtn. Hardware options?

They are all pretty good and I"m looking for some reasons why I should pick one over the other...soo if you own one of these (minus the Hubba hubba, which I have experience with):

- How do you feel about your vestibule? I like to be able to stick my soaking wet pack there overnight? --will this be possible with the tent?

- Seedhouse has 1 door - any major issues there?

- enough space for 2 people, really?

- fly --does the door have issues when it's raining...does the rain drop off into the tent when opened?

- other differences to consider?

bulldog49
03-31-2010, 13:41
So I'm narrowing down my choices and these are ones I have left:

-Hubba hubba
- BA Seedhouse SL2
- Marmot Aura 2
- any comparable Mtn. Hardware options?

They are all pretty good and I"m looking for some reasons why I should pick one over the other...soo if you own one of these (minus the Hubba hubba, which I have experience with):

- How do you feel about your vestibule? I like to be able to stick my soaking wet pack there overnight? --will this be possible with the tent?

- Seedhouse has 1 door - any major issues there?

- enough space for 2 people, really?

- fly --does the door have issues when it's raining...does the rain drop off into the tent when opened?

- other differences to consider?

A friend who I sometimes hike with has the Hubba Hubba. It has ample room for the two of us. I especially like the fact it has two side vestibules as opposed to a single front entry. Better protects from the elements and makes night time visits to mother nature less troublesome. Solid tent.

sixhusbands
03-31-2010, 14:22
I have the seedhouse and other than one door ,it is great. Lightweight, enough vestible room and I have set it up in the dark several times. I used it during a windy weekend alst year and it held up fine. The only donwside is the price.

Wags
03-31-2010, 15:34
is there a reason the fly creek 2 by big agnes isn't in your list?

white_russian
03-31-2010, 16:05
no love for the REI Quarterdome T2? It is very similar to the Hubba Hubba and a little bit lighter and a little bit cheaper.

Peanut
03-31-2010, 23:37
Thanks for your advice guys!

Any marmot fans? (Aura or Limelite?)

skinewmexico
04-01-2010, 00:08
Really want a two person tent, get a three person tent. Like a Quarterdome T3. But they're all good, albeit heavy tents.

FamilyGuy
04-01-2010, 00:16
Really want a two person tent, get a three person tent. Like a Quarterdome T3. But they're all good, albeit heavy tents.

+1

Most 2 person tents are really 1+...unless you go the single wall Tarptent type shelter route.

karo
04-01-2010, 06:19
I have the Seedhouse sl2 and I like it ok but would not buy another tent with the entry on the end/head of the tent. I would prefer a side entry, to avoid getting rain in the tent when you enter it.

Tinker
04-01-2010, 07:40
She knows what she's looking for, believe me. She's done more hiking than I have, despite being young enough to be my daughter.
I'm sitting this one out because I don't have actual experience with any of these tents.

divr6347
04-03-2010, 11:23
black diamond mesa is a great choice too
a little heavier than the other mentioned tents but double doors and vestibules are worth it i have this tent and like it alot other than the weight which isn treally that bad
my friend has the marmot aura 2p and setup side by side the bd and marmot are real close size and setup wise both great tents and roomy too mine has a 90 inch long floor im 6-1 and fit great with room to spare
my friends aura is same way lots of room

divr6347

mykl
04-04-2010, 10:51
is there a reason the fly creek 2 by big agnes isn't in your list?

This would seam like the perfect tent if it was a few inches longer. I don't think it would work for anyone over 6'. To bad, but thats the deal with a lot of ul tents.
Also, with end entry, I don't like the fact that with most, your head needs to go by the door, making entering/exiting a pain, IMO. I'd rather dive in and slide out.

Hiker8261
04-05-2010, 00:49
I used the BA SH2 for my thru hike and a 300+ mile hike in Scotland in 2008 and I had no major issues with it.
I am 6'2", 250# and had to sleep diagonally across the tent. There is no way that there was room for another person in the tent (even someone named Peanut). 2 average, very friendly people may fit in the tent but all the gear would be outside and the vestibule is not that big. Plus with the one door, you would be climbing over the gear for those late night nature calls. The tent is not square so you can't easily sleep 2 people head to foot.
I would agree that the 3 person tents would be best for 2 people.

chris