PDA

View Full Version : Thru-hike boots?

Bloodroot
10-12-2004, 10:27
I have very few concerns left about gear purchasing, and I think majority feedback might help me decide on this one. When its time to purchase new boots, is it better to have a back-up pair mailed or is it better to chance it and get a pair at an outfitter store along the way? What did you guys do?

gravityman
10-12-2004, 10:38
I have very few concerns left about gear purchasing, and I think majority feedback might help me decide on this one. When its time to purchase new boots, is it better to have a back-up pair mailed or is it better to chance it and get a pair at an outfitter store along the way? What did you guys do?

Get it as you go. There's a chance (a VERY good one in my opinion) that you will decide you don't like the boots you started with, and might even want to switch to trail runners. Flexibility is the name of the game, and by not having boots prepared to a mail drop, you will have more options. That said, I still think a lot of thrus wear boots the whole way.

Gravity Man

rocket04
10-12-2004, 10:40
I agree with gravityman. I got rid of my boots within the first 100 miles and wore a pair or Merrells for the rest of the way! You want to keep that flexibility, especially if you're one of the few lucky ones who somehow manages to go on one pair all the way.

Footslogger
10-12-2004, 11:07
The majority of hikers (at least the ones I know) have foot size changes during their thru-hike. That alone would suggest you not purchase multiple pairs of boots prior to your hike, with the idea of sending yourself a replacement pair along the way.

One counter argument however, is that you most likely won't be able to find the same boot along the way that you purchased prior to your hike. That may or may not be a problem, depending on how attached you are to that first pair of boots.

On my thru last year I sort of went against the prevailing wisdom. I found a boot that fit me like a glove. Great support and adequate toe room. Since I was working for an outfitter at the time (and had been fitting hikers in boots for over 5 years) I bought 2 pair and broke them in. That approach worked for me and as I indicated above, I never would have been able to find this boot in stores along the AT. I would have had to order them on-line and then break them in on the trail.

Just wanted to give you that feedback. In general it's probably safer to start out with one pair of boots/shoes and then buy additional footwear as necessary. Your preference in terms of footwear style might change as the terrain and seasons change. As an example, I started off with boots and switched over to trail shoes around Damascus. Then once trail conditions got a bit rockier again further north I went back to boots.

Just my experience ...Happy Trails !!

'Slogger
AT 2003

The Solemates
10-12-2004, 12:30
I dont think it really matters. I did a combination of both. I had back-up pairs sent to me, but I also purchased some along the way when mine wore out. There are plenty of places to buy boots along the trail. But, if you want a particular kind, your selection may not be as extensive on the trail. Then again, after hundreds of miles on the trail, I could care less what type of boots I had. The only thing I wanted was a lightweight boot that was half-way durable. My feet would do the rest.

chris
10-12-2004, 13:17
I wear size 14 boots or 15 runners. Getting these along a trail is tough. So, I mail order as I go. It is usually pretty easy to call or use the internet to order, and you can usually also replace socks or insoles as needed. I've noticed a lot of thruhikers that were unhappy with their footwear choices. Others, by Virginia, had tried one pair of boots, then another, then runners, then sandals, then something else. So, unless you have experience with long term hiking in a particular model, I would not buy an extra pair before the hike.

Bloodroot
10-12-2004, 13:44
I wear size 14 boots or 15 runners. Getting these along a trail is tough. So, I mail order as I go. It is usually pretty easy to call or use the internet to order, and you can usually also replace socks or insoles as needed. I've noticed a lot of thruhikers that were unhappy with their footwear choices. Others, by Virginia, had tried one pair of boots, then another, then runners, then sandals, then something else. So, unless you have experience with long term hiking in a particular model, I would not buy an extra pair before the hike.
Such a relief to hear someone who I can relate to. I also have the same dilema witha large foot size. That was my only con (besides breaking unfamiliar boots in) in trying to get boots along the trail. Great idea ordering, never thought of that.

As an example, I started off with boots and switched over to trail shoes around Damascus. Then once trail conditions got a bit rockier again further north I went back to boots.
I was curious in what area a lighter shoe change would be justified. Thanks.

Footslogger
10-12-2004, 13:54
Everyone is different but I after a while in Virginia (near Damascus) it seemed like the trail levelled off a bit and was generally more "earthen" than rock. The weather had also warmed up considerably by then and a low cut, lighter weight shoe was a welcome relief. I was able to hike comfortably in a low cut trail shoe (in my case, the Montrail Java) until northern PA, when the trail became really rocky again.

If you're like most hikers, your ankles (and footwear) will take a pretty good beating in northern PA. It felt weird going back into a boot at first but I truly appreciated having the thicker/stiffer outsole and the added ankle support.

'Slogger
AT 2003

chris
10-12-2004, 15:07
Such a relief to hear someone who I can relate to. I also have the same dilema witha large foot size. That was my only con (besides breaking unfamiliar boots in) in trying to get boots along the trail. Great idea ordering, never thought of that.

I was curious in what area a lighter shoe change would be justified. Thanks.

For ordering running shoes in large sizes, I have found www.runningshoes.com to be reliable, quick, and in stock. REI and www.roadrunnersports.com have a reasonable selection, but for some reason have decided not to carry many 15s. For example, you can buy the Asics Eagle Trail III in size 15 from runningshoes, but not from roadrunner (14 is the largest).

NotYet
10-12-2004, 15:44
If you have a shoe/boot that you like, take the phone number of the manufacturer and/or outfitter where you got it in the first place so that you can order replacements when you need them. Have them sent to a mail drop up the trail. (You can still get your foot measured in town if you're worried you've changed sizes) ;)

Trail runners and most lightweight boots don't really need much of a break in period; so if you use those you should be okay.

Peaks
10-12-2004, 16:18
Bloodroot,

Your question is a good one, but there is not a simple answer. Like all gear choices, it depends.

First, are your feet hard to fit for any reason? If so, then better plan on buying a back-up ahead of time.

On the other hand, if you are just looking for something that will work fine for most people, then simply go to an outfitter along the way when the time comes and get fitted for a new pair then and buy them when you need them.

As posted elsewhere, most people's feet expand after they have been hiking for a while. So, they go up a shoe size or so. But then again, some people's feet don't. You probably don't know how your feet are going to change in route, so that pair that you bought several months ago may not fit now.

Myself, I now use superfeet. I find that my feet no longer spread as a result. And I also found that the differences between different manufacturers to be much less noticable with superfeet. So, with superfeet, I could probably buy that second pair ahead of time, rather than along the way.

Will you still be happy with your replacement boot being the same as your initial boot? Don't know. Many people find out that the boot they start with isn't the greatest for them, so they change boot brands along the way, or maybe switch to trail runners, or something lighter. Better not buy a couple of pairs ahead of time and get stuck with them.

Breakin? As far as I am concerned, you really don't need to break in boots. What you need to do is condition your feet. After a few months on the trail, you can probably wear even the worst fitting boot straight out of the box and not have problems because your feet are so conditioned. (I've got a story on this, but not now.)