PDA

View Full Version : Ironmasters Mansion hostel at Pine Grove Furnace State Park

Hoop Time
03-31-2010, 13:42
This has been mentioned elsewhere in a thread about the Pa. Ruck, but probably deserves its own thread. The hostel at Pine Grove Furnace State Park will close May 8 and will not be open until next spring at the earliest.

I am working on a story for the paper and will have more details to share tomorrow, but want to make sure the word gets spread to hikers who might have been planning to stay there.

I have heard Allenberry in Boiling Springs -- a nice little resort with a dinner theatre on premises -- plans to continue its hiker packages it offered last year> I think last year they had rooms for hikers at $25 per night and some great discount deals on the dinner theatre, which includes an AYCE buffet.

Will be confirming that they will offer that again, as well as more on the plans for the hostel and will share that tomorrow.

In the meantime, I would like to talk to hikers about the significance of the hostel being closed this summer, and about the Ironmasters hostel in general. Particularly helpful would be anyone from the Pa. midstate area, since the editors like local voices in stories when possible.

If you would be willing to talk to me for the story, please pm me with a number where you can be reached.

Cookerhiker
03-31-2010, 13:49
This has been mentioned elsewhere in a thread about the Pa. Ruck, but probably deserves its own thread. The hostel at Pine Grove Furnace State Park will close May 8 and will not be open until next spring at the earliest......

I guess it's official that next year's PA Ruck needs a new home, at least for 2011.

10-K
03-31-2010, 16:06
It was closed when I hiked throught there last July as well. I just walked up the road to the campground after getting a hamburger and fries at the store.

Lellers
03-31-2010, 19:21
It was closed when I hiked throught there last July as well. I just walked up the road to the campground after getting a hamburger and fries at the store.

Were you there before 5:30 p.m.? The hostel is/was closed during the day as part of their regular schedule.

10-K
03-31-2010, 19:43
Were you there before 5:30 p.m.? The hostel is/was closed during the day as part of their regular schedule.

No, actually it was after 5:30... I remember because the store closed while I was packing up to go to the campground. There was a group of us that hiked up to the campground....

This would have been July 6th or 7th...