PDA

View Full Version : E-Vent with no pit zips vs Paclite w/ Pitzips?

Incahiker
03-31-2010, 17:37
Just curious as which to get? I can get the REI Kimtah E-Vent Jacket without pitzips (which I don't think would work too great) Vs. Mountain Hardware's Typhoon Paclite jacket with pit zips. The Typhoon also fits better. But from all the reading I have done it seems that even if its the most breathable material ever made it still helps to have pit zips to dump the heat.

So does everyone think I would be better with the paclite with pitzips then with the even without. The Typhoon also fits better. And yes, these are my only 2 choices because I have the REI Dividend, a $20 gift card, and also the 20% off deal. I am leaning towards the Typhoon.

Tinker
03-31-2010, 18:06
Had both, still have eVent (REI Shuksan). Neither work very well, imo. The Paclite was actually WET on the inside on a foggy, drizzly day in the 50s in the White Mts. I returned it after one trip. Pit zips and front zip were open as much as possible without letting the rain in.
The REI jacket doesn't show any wetness (maybe it wicks into the nylon Nexus mesh on the inside), but it was quite warm at 60 degrees, which is really the upper limit for rainwear comfort for me, anyhow. I am still using it to see if I'm happy with it. It does have a nice dwr (water beads up and rolls right off), and is pretty durable, but it is heavier than the Paclite jacket (Mtn. Hardware something-or-other). Basically, the Paclite didn't perform any better than my old standby, Marmot's Precip, though I doubt that the membrane would peel off like the PU coating on the Marmot product has done repeatedly in my case.
I'm still waiting for the perfect "Holy Grail" of WP/B fabrics, though my knowledge of basic physics tells me it's not possible.

FamilyGuy
03-31-2010, 18:36
I have two eVENT jackets - an Integral Designs and a Rab. Both breath exceptionally and better than my OR Paclite. No issues with internal 'condensation.' I think a lot of that has to do with how much you sweat. I don't sweat much even when I am working hard.

Tinker
03-31-2010, 18:41
I have two eVENT jackets - an Integral Designs and a Rab. Both breath exceptionally and better than my OR Paclite. No issues with internal 'condensation.' I think a lot of that has to do with how much you sweat. I don't sweat much even when I am working hard.

One thing to bear in mind is that the fabric that the laminate is bonded to, as well as the actual bonding process, may determine how breathable the final product is. This is just speculation, but I think it may be something worth considering.

Snowleopard
03-31-2010, 19:12
FamilyGuy, Which Rab jacket do you have and how does it compare to the Integral Designs? I'm thinking of the Rab Pinnacle which is a 2 layer event parka (with a liner), on sale at http://www.prolitegear.com/rab_pinnacle_jacket.html

WILLIAM HAYES
03-31-2010, 19:30
I have the integral designs jacket works well --better than goretex

Wags
03-31-2010, 20:37
i think the whole "breathability" feature thing is overrated and overhyped. just unzip your jacket if it's hot...

beep
03-31-2010, 20:40
My Rab "Super Dru" eVent jacket breathes FAR better than Goretex even when the GTX has pit zips. YMMV

Egads
03-31-2010, 21:46
What's the verdict on Pro shell Gortex? Any users & lovers of the product?

FamilyGuy
03-31-2010, 22:21
i think the whole "breathability" feature thing is overrated and overhyped. just unzip your jacket if it's hot...

Unless its...uh...raining....:banana

FamilyGuy
03-31-2010, 22:23
FamilyGuy, Which Rab jacket do you have and how does it compare to the Integral Designs? I'm thinking of the Rab Pinnacle which is a 2 layer event parka (with a liner), on sale at http://www.prolitegear.com/rab_pinnacle_jacket.html

Hi - I have this one:

http://www.prolitegear.com/rab_latok_alpine_jacket.html which I use more as my winter shell.

They are comparable in fit and finish, but the ID does require one to size up - in my opinion.

Wags
03-31-2010, 22:24
you never unzip your jacket in the rain?

Wags
03-31-2010, 22:25
i have a northface goretex pro shell. as famguy said, i only use it in winter. too heavy/not necessary for the other 3 seasons

FamilyGuy
04-01-2010, 00:15
you never unzip your jacket in the rain?

Depends if the rain is at my back or not.:D

(But I know what you are getting at - ventilation is key and ANY jacket will make you steam up if you are really moving).

Incahiker
04-01-2010, 09:23
So.... it seems like a majority of people would rather go with the E-Vent then the paclite with pitzips? I have read that even though E-Vent was definitely more breathable people thought paclite was better because they could dump the heat out faster with the pit zips. Well, since its REI I guess I will try the E-vent first, and if I am not satisfied then I will go with the Paclite.

tuswm
04-01-2010, 10:00
I have the MH paclite shell. I also use it more as a winter shell. This past winter I HAD to do 15 miles when the forcast didnt match the weather. 30- 40 MPH winds, rain hail 33*. it was perfect. When its warmer I just get wet and keep dry clothes for camp. When wearing rain gear and its already on the warmer limits of your rain gear if you get to a long hill and push it you are goin to get wet, slow down and try not to swet.

Praha4
04-01-2010, 10:02
I have the MH Typhoon jacket, it works great in the 30s and 40s, but even with pit zips gets a bit warm and muggy inside above those temps.. in warmer weather I just use my Outdoor Research Fanatic UL rain jacket, and unzip the front if it gets too hot

Incahiker
04-01-2010, 10:47
I have the MH Typhoon jacket, it works great in the 30s and 40s, but even with pit zips gets a bit warm and muggy inside above those temps.. in warmer weather I just use my Outdoor Research Fanatic UL rain jacket, and unzip the front if it gets too hot

Interesting, are you saying that your fanatic jacket breathes better then the Typhoon? I think I will get that E-Vent jacket soon and will report back. I have a Sierra designs jacket but it's like wearing a plastic bag even with the pit zips open. Figured anything will breather better then this.

Appalachian Tater
04-01-2010, 10:52
Regardless of the material, pit zips give great ventilation and you can leave them open even when it is raining--which is often when you need them. Along with a wool hat, pit zips are one of the easiest ways to regulate your temperature/comfort while still moving.

It is always easier for moisture to escape through an opening in the fabric rather than through the material itself.

Incahiker
04-01-2010, 11:26
Regardless of the material, pit zips give great ventilation and you can leave them open even when it is raining--which is often when you need them. Along with a wool hat, pit zips are one of the easiest ways to regulate your temperature/comfort while still moving.

It is always easier for moisture to escape through an opening in the fabric rather than through the material itself.

Thanks,

So with your experience you would rather have something with pit zips? Have you tried the e-Vent? I guess the best way is to find out myself.

Snowleopard
04-01-2010, 11:46
From what I've read, any of the waterproof breathable stuff transports water vapor from inside the jacket to outside. The amount of transfer depends on the difference in humidity level from inside the jacket to outside. WPB fabrics will work best in a very dry climate (desert) because when you're sweating the humidity is high inside the jacket; if the air outside is very dry, it works great.

Different fabrics behave differently as this difference in humidity changes. Event is supposed to be great because it transports more moisture when the humidity difference is low -- i.e., damp inside the jacket and raining outside. From the physics of it, when the humidity inside jacket is the same as the outside air no fabric will transport moisture from inside to outside. So, many of these WPB fabrics will work well in Colorado or Arizona where you may get a shower but it'll quickly get dry. The more humid the outside air, the greater advantage event should have (theoretically). There are (theoretically) instances where this is a disadvantage; if your layers get damp and it stops raining, the greater evaporation with event will chill you.

Of course, as Yogi Berra said, "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."

Kerosene
04-01-2010, 14:51
I've got the best of both worlds: the only e-Vent Packa (http://www.thepacka.com) with pit zips! Unfortunately, Cedar Tree is no longer taking special orders, and I understand that he discontinued using e-Vent because of low demand given the high cost of the fabric. That said, I know that there are a lot of buyers satisfied with the silnyl version. Of course, REI doesn't carry The Packa.

-->Correction: In Post #40 below, Cedar Tree notes that he does offer e-Vent Packas again, which is the best of all worlds in my opinion: highly breathable fabric with huge pit zips to dump excess heat with an integrated pack cover.

Franco
04-01-2010, 18:24
Snowleopard
That is exactly how I understand it and how it seems to work in practice.
Just a couple of days ago a mate that now works for a large outdoor shop discouraged a customer from buying GoreTex (they don't sell eVent , the stuff he himself is using...) going to a very humid, wet and warm area (Tanzania in May).
His suggestion was to just get a light showerproof jacket and get wet cause it is warm anyway and she was going to get wet regardless. (we think alike)
That "difference" you mentioned is possibly also the reason why eVent manufacturers were not allowed originally to put pit zips in their jackets. That is, to retain the temperature/humidity level difference.
(the official line was "we don't need them")
Franco

Appalachian Tater
04-01-2010, 19:56
Thanks,

So with your experience you would rather have something with pit zips? Have you tried the e-Vent? I guess the best way is to find out myself. No, I have never tried e-Vent but I wouldn't even consider a rain jacket without pit zips unless it had some other significant ventilation like the Packa does.

FamilyGuy
04-02-2010, 01:44
No, I have never tried e-Vent but I wouldn't even consider a rain jacket without pit zips unless it had some other significant ventilation like the Packa does.

If you haven't tried it then you cannot comment effectively on whether you would need pit zips with an eVENT jacket. You might find that you wouldn't.

There is a reason they don't come with them.

Snowleopard
04-02-2010, 08:39
Snowleopard
That is exactly how I understand it and how it seems to work in practice.
Just a couple of days ago a mate that now works for a large outdoor shop discouraged a customer from buying GoreTex (they don't sell eVent , the stuff he himself is using...) going to a very humid, wet and warm area (Tanzania in May).
His suggestion was to just get a light showerproof jacket and get wet cause it is warm anyway and she was going to get wet regardless. (we think alike)
That "difference" you mentioned is possibly also the reason why eVent manufacturers were not allowed originally to put pit zips in their jackets. That is, to retain the temperature/humidity level difference.
(the official line was "we don't need them")
Franco
Yes. Years ago I sent some polyurethane coated ripstop to a friend in the Amazon. She told me it leaked, but it doesn't. It was just so humid that even at low activity levels she was getting soaked from sweat and condensation. When I visited, the humidity was so high that clothes left to dry in direct sun at 100F (38C) took a couple days to dry.

The other thing that might make the WPB task harder is a cold rain. It seems like the vapor in the warm humid air inside the jacket would condense on the shell which is being cooled by the cold rain.

Isn't it odd that all rain jackets work much better where it never rains.

Appalachian Tater
04-02-2010, 14:01
If you haven't tried it then you cannot comment effectively on whether you would need pit zips with an eVENT jacket. You might find that you wouldn't.

There is a reason they don't come with them.Yes, I can comment effectively.

I would not consider a rain jacket without pit zips or some other significant ventilation because allowing moisture to pass out through the fabric is not the same as ventilation that allows air and wind to contact my body directly. It is about more than just moisture, it is about temperature and comfort.

Bearpaw
04-02-2010, 19:39
I've used both eVent and Paclite GTX. I would not buy either without pit zips.

Of course, here in the southeast, I don't generally carry raingear at all from June through August. Too humid and warm/hot. I stick with a pack cover and a windshirt.

Incahiker
04-02-2010, 20:18
Hey, thanks for the answer! So by you personally using both of them you would rather have a Gortex Paclite jacket with pitzips then an event without them? I live in Georgia and will do most of my hiking too, but I will always have some raingear as backup. I have a windshirt for those months too. But I always like to have backup for those just in case moments. Spring only lasted about a day here in georgia and today we had some summer weather.

Kerosene
04-02-2010, 20:33
I've also used an Integral Designs e-Vent jacket. Works much, much better that GTX in rainy conditions at lower temps (sub-60), but I've never tested in high, humid temps. Even at the lower temps, I would've liked pit zips, but they really weren't required and I never really overheated. However, I did unzip a little when the rain let up and attempted to walk slower than normal to moderate my body heat.

Roland
04-02-2010, 20:35
For my needs, neither Paclite nor eVent breathe sufficiently to eliminate the need for pit zips. I would base my choice on the design elements of the jacket rather than the brand of fabric.

Bearpaw
04-02-2010, 21:23
Hey, thanks for the answer! So by you personally using both of them you would rather have a Gortex Paclite jacket with pitzips then an event without them? I live in Georgia and will do most of my hiking too, but I will always have some raingear as backup. I have a windshirt for those months too. But I always like to have backup for those just in case moments. Spring only lasted about a day here in georgia and today we had some summer weather.

EVent did breathe better to me than Paclite, but I would take the Paclite jacket with pit zips over eVent without for me personally. I do tend to sweat pretty heavily. If you're not a heavy sweater, your results may vary.

FamilyGuy
04-02-2010, 21:56
Yes, I can comment effectively.

I would not consider a rain jacket without pit zips or some other significant ventilation because allowing moisture to pass out through the fabric is not the same as ventilation that allows air and wind to contact my body directly. It is about more than just moisture, it is about temperature and comfort.

You have not used eVENT so you cannot comment on it effectively.

Incahiker
04-02-2010, 22:05
After all my research and from what was read here I have come to the conclusion that while E-Vent does breathe better then gortex, no doubt about that, I still read that a majority of the people prefer something with pit zips as it not only has to do with the escaping vapor, but also a heat dump. I don't know, I guess they both sound like they are on even terms with me. Though one breathes better the other can be vented out. I guess I will go try on the jackets again and just get the one that fits me the best, lol.

Tinker
04-02-2010, 22:31
From what I've read, any of the waterproof breathable stuff transports water vapor from inside the jacket to outside. The amount of transfer depends on the difference in humidity level from inside the jacket to outside. WPB fabrics will work best in a very dry climate (desert) because when you're sweating the humidity is high inside the jacket; if the air outside is very dry, it works great.

Different fabrics behave differently as this difference in humidity changes. Event is supposed to be great because it transports more moisture when the humidity difference is low -- i.e., damp inside the jacket and raining outside. From the physics of it, when the humidity inside jacket is the same as the outside air no fabric will transport moisture from inside to outside. So, many of these WPB fabrics will work well in Colorado or Arizona where you may get a shower but it'll quickly get dry. The more humid the outside air, the greater advantage event should have (theoretically). There are (theoretically) instances where this is a disadvantage; if your layers get damp and it stops raining, the greater evaporation with event will chill you.

Of course, as Yogi Berra said, "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."

You have it exactly right.
When I worked at REI, back in the 1980s, we had the folks from Gore come and explain how their membrane worked. They had a beaker of boiling water with a piece of the membrane rubber banded around the neck. Sure enough, steam was coming through the pores,
BUT -
Most of us don't get 212 degrees worth of hot,
AND - The membrane is laminated (glued) to a piece of cloth, making it that much LESS breathable.
Vapor gradient is what they called the difference between the inside and outside humidities and temperatures. The best transfer rate is, as you said, when it's very dry outside and very moist inside, and the closer the humidity matches inside and outside, the slower the transfer of moisture until, at 100% relative humidity (let's call that "rain" for the sake of argument) no moisture occurrs either way. The rain has a better chance getting in than your body vapor (insensible perspiration) does getting out. THAT's when your perspiration becomes uncomfortably "SENSIBLE".
Still, I had to try the eVent "holy grail", and, try as I might, I can't tell much difference between it and "old school" 1990s Gore-tex (of course, my Gore-tex jacket has a free-hanging "liner" of membrane protected on the inside by mesh and light nylon fabric. Less glue means better breathability, I think.

FamilyGuy
04-02-2010, 22:32
eVENT has a moisture vapor (breathability) transmission rate that is as much as 5 times more effective that Gortex. Yeah, they are close.

Tinker
04-02-2010, 22:33
I meant to say that at near 100% relative humidity, no transfer takes place, not "moisture".

Tinker
04-02-2010, 22:35
eVENT has a moisture vapor (breathability) transmission rate that is as much as 5 times more effective that Gortex. Yeah, they are close.
I'm not saying that you're wrong, but for the sake of validating your point you could provide a link.
Either way, neither membrane (they're both PTFE) is NEARLY as breathable as water resistant nylon, which, in many cases is too hot.

I think both of these products work best in cold weather.

FamilyGuy
04-03-2010, 01:24
Tinker - off the top of my head, have a look here:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/00316.html

Cedar Tree
04-03-2010, 09:16
Thanks for the plug Kerosene, but not true. I do have some eVent packas available now. I received a few with my last order from Big Agnes. I have mediums and smalls available and they are red. Lots of discussion on the new eVEnt packas over on hammockforums. They are $185 + $10 shipping. They weigh about 17oz.
CT

I've got the best of both worlds: the only e-Vent Packa (http://www.thepacka.com) with pit zips! Unfortunately, Cedar Tree is no longer taking special orders, and I understand that he discontinued using e-Vent because of low demand given the high cost of the fabric. That said, I know that there are a lot of buyers satisfied with the silnyl version. Of course, REI doesn't carry The Packa.

FamilyGuy
04-03-2010, 10:39
Thanks for the plug Kerosene, but not true. I do have some eVent packas available now. I received a few with my last order from Big Agnes. I have mediums and smalls available and they are red. Lots of discussion on the new eVEnt packas over on hammockforums. They are $185 + $10 shipping. They weigh about 17oz.
CT

That's a steal for eVENT!

Incahiker
04-03-2010, 23:04
Hey, just wanted to post back on what jacket I got. Went to REI and tried on both the REI Kimtah eVent jacket and the mountain hardware typhoon paclite jacket. As soon as I put both of them on in the store, I could feel the heat start to build up. So I walked around the store with both on. The Typhoon with the pitzips vented like no ones business. Worked like a fireplace, cool air came in through the pit vents and the hot air exited around the hood area. Could actually feel the venting happening. With the eVent is just stayed hot, couldn't feel any hot air escaping or cool air coming in. I definitely, no questions asked, felt hotter in the eVent Jacket with no venting. I couldn't imagine actually hiking with a backpack with it on. Even if eVEnt breathes better, it would cause me to get too hot too fast and I would most likely overwhelm the jackets ability for it to extract the perspiration.

So obviously I bought the Mountain Hardware Typhoon. It fit better too. I think I made the right decision.

Appalachian Tater
04-04-2010, 00:32
You have not used eVENT so you cannot comment on it effectively.Well, I guess if you keep changing what I am supposed to be commenting on you will eventually find something I can't comment on effectively. Congratulations!:banana:banana:banana

Appalachian Tater
04-04-2010, 00:37
So obviously I bought the Mountain Hardware Typhoon. It fit better too. I think I made the right decision.

Yes, you did, pit zips are the right decision in a rain jacket, regardless of fabric.

lucky luke
04-04-2010, 06:31
i have a event jacket from vaude. it has pit zips, and i never opened them so far. by far the most breathable piece of raingear i have ever owned. i would never even think about going back to gore-tex or sympatex.

sunny trails
lucky luke

Tinker
04-04-2010, 07:35
Tinker - off the top of my head, have a look here:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/00316.html
Thanks for the link, but I let my subscription expire a couple of years ago.
5X next to nothing is still not too impressive.
There comes a point where getting wet from rain is a blessing (like a refreshing shower without soap).
I think one of the misconceptions about WP/B raingear is that it will be as cool in warm weather as not wearing raingear at all.
We had so many returns on Gore-tex garments at REI in the 80's because of this preconcieved (and not refuted, I may add, by Gore) notion.
In a nutshell:
WP/B does NOT = AIR CONDITIONING.

Tinker
04-04-2010, 07:36
Note and disclaimer: The above comments were for the general viewing public, not directed at Family Guy :).

Incahiker
04-04-2010, 08:36
i have a event jacket from vaude. it has pit zips, and i never opened them so far. by far the most breathable piece of raingear i have ever owned. i would never even think about going back to gore-tex or sympatex.

sunny trails
lucky luke

So it's more breathable then a wind shirt with uncoated nylon? I even find the need to unzip them every once and a while.

Kerosene
04-04-2010, 09:12
i have a event jacket from vaude. it has pit zips...I have never heard of Vaude, so I looked them up on-line and found the jacket (http://www.vaude.com/epages/Vaude-de.sf/secnjVe_S0VMv2/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Vaude/Products/06771/SubProducts/067713000600) I think lucky luke is referring to. Looks nice, with stretch inserts and a removable hood, but a touch heavy at 14.8 ounces. I'll be checking out their website for other interesting products; there's a lot there.

Jaybird
04-04-2010, 09:16
having any outer garment with NO PITS...IS da PITS!:D

see ya'll out there Apr 24-May 8...section-hiking Clarks Valley, PA up to Greenwood Lake, NY in 15 days...

anybody wanna hike along...you are Welcome!

ARambler
04-04-2010, 10:32
Except for the 20 % weight penalty (and a similar price penalty) there is nothing wrong with pit zips. However, instead of walking around rei with two coats, I would walk up hill with a 40 and 50 lb pack.

I find it funny that a negative about an article of clothing is that it keeps you warm. How many hikers suffer from heat stroke because they refuse to get out of their 0C sleeping bags?
Rambler

Incahiker
04-05-2010, 08:29
Except for the 20 % weight penalty (and a similar price penalty) there is nothing wrong with pit zips. However, instead of walking around rei with two coats, I would walk up hill with a 40 and 50 lb pack.

I find it funny that a negative about an article of clothing is that it keeps you warm. How many hikers suffer from heat stroke because they refuse to get out of their 0C sleeping bags?
Rambler

Nahh... The Kimtah eVent actually weighed more then the Mountain hardware Paclite, and those were the only two choices I had to choose from. I know that it wasn't technical to walk around the REI store, but I just posted what experience I had with it. I was really MUCH hotter with the Event jacket on. Now whether or not it gets more damp on the inside when I sweat I have not clue, but I sure as hell know that I would begin sweating sooner with the E-Vent then before the Paclite with pitzips. Way more ventilation, like I said, I could easily feel the temperature difference with the air circulation. The most comfortable piece of rain gear I have ever had was a poncho, but I hated stepping on it going up hill. And it was not breathable at all, just well ventilated.

FamilyGuy
04-05-2010, 13:44
Nahh... The Kimtah eVent actually weighed more then the Mountain hardware Paclite, and those were the only two choices I had to choose from. I know that it wasn't technical to walk around the REI store, but I just posted what experience I had with it. I was really MUCH hotter with the Event jacket on. Now whether or not it gets more damp on the inside when I sweat I have not clue, but I sure as hell know that I would begin sweating sooner with the E-Vent then before the Paclite with pitzips. Way more ventilation, like I said, I could easily feel the temperature difference with the air circulation. The most comfortable piece of rain gear I have ever had was a poncho, but I hated stepping on it going up hill. And it was not breathable at all, just well ventilated.

This is a test?

Franco
04-05-2010, 19:16
WP/B does NOT = AIR CONDITIONING.

That's for sure. At the same time I see that when it starts raining folk put their rain jacket on top of the other layers and then wonder why they sweat so much.
Franco

Incahiker
04-05-2010, 22:23
This is a test?

No... not a test. Like I said before, I was going to try both of them out just to see which one fit better and the mountain hardware one did. And, since I had them both on (at different times) I figured I could just leave them on and see which one felt cooler while I walked around the store, and low and behold the paclite did with the better ventilation. It felt much better. I also agree and made my informed decision, as it is common sense, that no material is going to breathe better then something that vents. Cover your whole body with a piece of cloth and it is going to retain heat, no matter how breathable people say it is. Put on a long sleeve cotton shirt and you sure as hell will be hotter with it on then without, and it breathes WAY BETTER then eVent. Cut huge holes in the side and the outside air will be able to come in and the heat will dump out. I would have gotten an E-Vent jacket if it had pit zips over the paclite, but the other jacket just fit better and I could easily feel the ventilation working. The event jacket zipped up all the way with the hood on and the zippers open (no pitzips) got too hot just walking in the store. The paclite with the hood on and pit zips open felt fine.

Wags
04-05-2010, 23:46
people have to justify their $300 rain jackets bro

FamilyGuy
04-06-2010, 00:37
No... not a test. Like I said before, I was going to try both of them out just to see which one fit better and the mountain hardware one did. And, since I had them both on (at different times) I figured I could just leave them on and see which one felt cooler while I walked around the store, and low and behold the paclite did with the better ventilation. It felt much better. I also agree and made my informed decision, as it is common sense, that no material is going to breathe better then something that vents. Cover your whole body with a piece of cloth and it is going to retain heat, no matter how breathable people say it is. Put on a long sleeve cotton shirt and you sure as hell will be hotter with it on then without, and it breathes WAY BETTER then eVent. Cut huge holes in the side and the outside air will be able to come in and the heat will dump out. I would have gotten an E-Vent jacket if it had pit zips over the paclite, but the other jacket just fit better and I could easily feel the ventilation working. The event jacket zipped up all the way with the hood on and the zippers open (no pitzips) got too hot just walking in the store. The paclite with the hood on and pit zips open felt fine.

Well you are missing several important elements in your 'test.' Rain, humidity, and the differential between your core temp and the temp outside of the jacket. eVENT works like this - you heat up and the heat vents through the fabric. It will work best when there is a significant differential.

FamilyGuy
04-06-2010, 00:37
people have to justify their $300 rain jackets bro

For some of us, this is less than we spill at the bar on any given night.

Incahiker
04-06-2010, 09:05
Well you are missing several important elements in your 'test.' Rain, humidity, and the differential between your core temp and the temp outside of the jacket. eVENT works like this - you heat up and the heat vents through the fabric. It will work best when there is a significant differential.

So your saying that eVent will breathe better then cotton??? A long sleeve cotton shirt will still make me hot and it breathes way better then eVent. And why do you keep calling it my test. I was just writing down my observations of it while I had them both on. But either way I got my paclite with pit zips and if it is crappier then the eVent jacket then I will have to live with it, too bad for me. I personally think that ventilation works better then any kind of breathable fabric ever made. Why, because I have a plastic poncho that doesn't breathe at all and it will easily beat any breathable material out there due to the massive amounts of ventilation that it has.

FamilyGuy
04-06-2010, 11:43
First of all, cotton is not waterproof last time I checked. What you are missing from your analysis is rain. You claim that you felt ventilation through the pit zips. However, because you did not have a pack on, were not exerting yourself, did not have a pack against your back, and did not have rain coming down, you cannot comment on the breathability of the gortex in such conditions. You still have the majority of your upper body covered with fabric. The pit zips reduce your core temperature by allowing some heat to be removed from your pits. However, it will do very little for your back, front, or head in terms of reducing condensation in those areas.

I agree that not wearing anything provides the best ventilation but that becomes a problem in the rain.

Incahiker
04-06-2010, 12:49
First of all, cotton is not waterproof last time I checked. What you are missing from your analysis is rain. You claim that you felt ventilation through the pit zips. However, because you did not have a pack on, were not exerting yourself, did not have a pack against your back, and did not have rain coming down, you cannot comment on the breathability of the gortex in such conditions. You still have the majority of your upper body covered with fabric. The pit zips reduce your core temperature by allowing some heat to be removed from your pits. However, it will do very little for your back, front, or head in terms of reducing condensation in those areas.

I agree that not wearing anything provides the best ventilation but that becomes a problem in the rain.

I am sure you are correct and I appreciate your input. I will have to live with my paclite now, but I am sure I will not be too disappointed in it.

FamilyGuy
04-06-2010, 16:08
I think we can agree that it is nice to not have to wear any form of protection unless it rains! Thanks for the discussion. Cheers,