PDA

View Full Version : Phone, GPS, Camera all-in-one?

Dirty Nails
03-31-2010, 18:32
What device will make a good phone, GPS, and good Camera for a long trip and what's the best way to save or send home the photos?

Tinker
03-31-2010, 18:43
If you get an all-in-one anything, pray that it doesn't fail. Otoh, if you get three different items, it isn't likely that you'll be switching batteries back and forth, so you'll be carrying extra batteries - wait a minute - it might not be a bad idea to carry extra batteries anyhow.

snaplok
03-31-2010, 20:09
What device will make a good phone, GPS, and good Camera for a long trip and what's the best way to save or send home the photos?

I'd say either a Blackberry or an Iphone would work. Battery life is good, can be charged just about anywhere.

white_russian
03-31-2010, 20:39
I'd say either a Blackberry or an Iphone would work. Battery life is good, can be charged just about anywhere.

Between Blackberry and iPhone you are maxing out at 3.2 megapixels. Blackberry mostly markets to business customers so cameras are not important. iPhone is old tech until the next iteration comes out.

The Droid and Nexus One are what is hot right now. Nokia N-series is top notch as well

Egads
03-31-2010, 21:51
my blackberry's pics are substandard. not a good camera at all

Panzer1
03-31-2010, 21:59
The IPhone also has a built in compass.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/iphone-3gs/maps-compass.html

Panzer

BigHodag
03-31-2010, 23:08
Might look into the LG Incite. It has built in satellite GPS and a 3mp camera.

Don't forget to disable the aGPS and AT&T's data services to save money. The Incite has Wi-Fi built in also.

You can find mods, software, etc. at:
http://www.lg-incite.com

svlc22
04-01-2010, 08:43
Check out the Palm Pre Plus...awesome phone and really nice camera for a phone. I am looking into one myself after a coworker showed me his.

Tabasco
04-01-2010, 09:54
Motorola Droid. Nuff said.

Grinder
06-05-2010, 08:02
Just be aware that Verizon doesn't support direct computer connection to access pictures. You have to upload to a verizon site and then download .

For higher resolution pictures, quite a bit of time is involved.

Plus, unlimited connection time is going to be a thing of the past soon. AT&T has already ended it.

Wise Old Owl
06-05-2010, 09:10
One issue with combo units - NO TOPO!, I am all in favor of a combo unit but each time I do my homework on it, there lacks some features I would want on a sperate unit. I will read on the rest of this thread as I am sure someone might know if combo is out there with topo.

M1 Thumb
06-05-2010, 15:36
If the trip is something important and you want good photos, you may want to get a good point-n-shoot camera. Many of them are fairly small, can shoot HD video, and take really good outdoor pictures. The photos that my iphone take aren't even in the same ballpark as my Lumix.

On phone GPS, many of them use cell tower triangulation for positioning. If you have no signal you can't get your position.

Myself, I prefer a good compact camera and compass/map.

Bucherm
06-11-2010, 21:03
Motorola Droid
With the DROID, the company has perhaps created its most attractive and intriguing piece of technology yet.

Old, Old tech. Photos of the "DROID 2" have been popping up, and it's likely to be rolled out this summer. The HTC Incredible is a better piece of kit than the original anyway.

Panzer1
06-11-2010, 21:46
try to get one with a fm radio so you get the weather.

Panzer

MedicineMan
06-11-2010, 21:53
Droid 2 i think has a camera in the 8 megapixel range, replaceable battery too. Don't worry about uploading pics while out there, just save on the micro-sd card (carry a spare card by the way), upload off the micro-sd when you're in town.

russb
06-11-2010, 22:00
Just be aware that Verizon doesn't support direct computer connection to access pictures. You have to upload to a verizon site and then download .

This may have been true in the past, but currently with the droid you can access the phone's SD card (where photos are stored) directly via the USB. You can also load pdfs of maps to view on the phone as well.

Don H
06-11-2010, 22:05
I'm looking for an all in one unit too. Pictures, phone and internet access. Internet for posting on Trail Journal and checking weather. So far the Droid seems to fit the bill. I'll carry a spare battery and a spare SD card for photos.

Edie
06-11-2010, 22:15
With the iphone you can upload your pics directly to photobucket, there are also some apps that let you track your route on a map, upload your pics at the different locations. This is loaded to the site and and friends can view your trip with maps and pics.

Lyle
06-11-2010, 23:14
As the old saying goes:

Jack of all trades, master of none.

Holds true for electronics too.