PDA

View Full Version : NC - park for a week at US-321

waywardfool
03-31-2010, 23:01
Looking to park for a week at US-321, Hampton TN.

As best as I remember, 10 or so years ago parked at the marina for a couple of bucks. I think I parked at a church near there, too, with a Scout bus, but in that case might be thinking of another road crossing.

Any safe parking near the trail crossing, for a week?

Tennessee Viking
03-31-2010, 23:49
I believe the trail on Pond Mtn has changed a bit since then. You climb up out of the gorge and come out at Shooks Branch Rec Area.

As for parking, check with Bramer Castle or Kincora hostels. You can do a couple mile walk back into town, or skip Pond Mtn & take the blue blaze into town.

You get a lot of stupid drunk lake goers or crazy locals around there.

SmokyMtn Hiker
04-25-2010, 19:34
[QUOTE=Tennessee Viking;995907]I believe the trail on Pond Mtn has changed a bit since then. You climb up out of the gorge and come out at Shooks Branch Rec Area.

I am doing a section hike Memorial Day weekend and my stopping point is HWY 321. Is this Rec Area the best place for my wife to pick me up or is there a designated parking area for the AT.

Tennessee Viking
04-25-2010, 19:52
Its ok for a pick up. Day hikes are ok but I wouldn't park there overnight.

Shooks Branch is a small picnic / lake beach area.

The trail walks the road for a couple hundred feet to 321. Then crosses 321 right next to the rec area. There is also a large turn out/parking area at the road crossing. Or you can walk back into town and wait at the restaurants or Braemar.

SmokyMtn Hiker
04-25-2010, 19:58
Its ok for a pick up. Day hikes are ok but I wouldn't park there overnight.

Shooks Branch is a small picnic / lake beach area.

The trail walks the road for a couple hundred feet to 321. Then crosses 321 right next to the rec area. There is also a large turn out/parking area at the road crossing. Or you can walk back into town and wait at the restaurants or Braemar.

Thanks, I am only going to need a pick up so it sounds like it will work perfectly for what I need.

entirelynutz
04-28-2010, 09:28
I use this site when looking for AT access areas: http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org (http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org/). It might help you with future hikes.

Cabin Fever
04-28-2010, 11:44
This is in Tennessee, not North Carolina.