PDA

View Full Version : Amtrak (train) to Appalachian Trail?

Dow
04-01-2010, 11:15
Amtrak (train) to Appalachian Trail?

I'm interested in taking a train from Atlanta to a Appalachian Trail. Is that possible? Where can I get to the AT via Amtrak?

Or perhaps via a bus?

Old Grouse
04-01-2010, 11:22
Where do you want to access the trail - Georgia or somewhere else? There are lots of answers to your questions, so it would be helpful if you can be a little more specific.

Dow
04-01-2010, 11:38
Where do you want to access the trail - Georgia or somewhere else? There are lots of answers to your questions, so it would be helpful if you can be a little more specific.

I like to get on the train at Atlanta and go to the nearest trial for a start. I'd rather go any trialhead north of Dick's Creek in Ga. At least some place where I can walk to a shuttle to the AT. Maybe some sort of train transfer will work. Just some information to get to any trialhead from Atlanta without a personal car, my car.

Slo-go'en
04-01-2010, 11:55
Most people go to Atlanta and take a shuttle to Springer to start. Or Gainesville, which doesn't get you much closer to the trail. Since you already live in Atlanta, it would make more sense to have someone you know drive you, with your car or thiers.

sasquatch2014
04-01-2010, 13:39
You can take Amtrak to NYC then a commuter line right to the AT. I do think that it would be silly to travel all that way to hike when you could get a shuttle for a fraction of the cost from where you are to the trail near you.

wcgornto
04-01-2010, 14:06
You can take Amtrak to Harpers Ferry, WV.

joeyt1291
04-02-2010, 09:41
You can take Amtrak to Harpers Ferry, WV.

It brings your very close to the actual trail too, great place to take the train too.

white_russian
04-02-2010, 10:32
You can take Amtrak to Rutland VT. The twelve tribes hostel is maybe a hundred yards from the train station and the bus to take you to the trail from the hostel is practically next door. There are hotels around if you are not into the twelve tribes, but the hostel is the simplest plan.

horicon
04-02-2010, 13:11
Hapers FerrY?.