PDA

View Full Version : Rescue at Rice Field Shelter

SawnieRobertson
04-01-2010, 20:48
Partner had training. See what happened and how Privy Lizard got his trailname in John Unwin's journal.

moytoy
04-01-2010, 21:17
WOW...you don't expect that serious an injury while stepping off a privy. It sure doesn't sound like this guy could have got out of the woods without help.

fw2008
04-02-2010, 18:57
Partner had training. See what happened and how Privy Lizard got his trailname in John Unwin's journal.
Where can I find the trail journals? In this forum?

FW

Doctari
04-02-2010, 20:33
Where can I find the trail journals? In this forum?

FW

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=8634

Sorry, originally posted Troll's journal.

BigHodag
04-02-2010, 20:41
http://www.trailjournals.com/

The rescue story is at:

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=302836

Panzer1
04-02-2010, 23:25
get well Bill/Privy Lizard

Panzer

Panzer1
04-02-2010, 23:27
Was this accident caused by the design of the privy or just a accident?

Panzer

Erin
04-03-2010, 00:05
That was a great post on friend helping friend. Hiker helping hiker. Hoping we all have a John on a trip. Wishing Privy Lizard the speediest recovery. A total bummer but thank goodness he was not alone.

Kel, the "Stickman"
04-03-2010, 00:10
Good that Lizard got to the privy BEFORE he had an accident! Prayerfully his injuries will not be too serious or permanent. Hope you heal quick Lizard...

Stickman

http://www.scripturesticks.com/

Panzer1
04-03-2010, 01:35
I bet the people on the "gotta get a SPOT" thread are amazed that he got rescued even though he didn't have a SPOT device. ;)

Panzer

Pedaling Fool
04-03-2010, 08:25
No he did not have a Spot, but he did have a cell phone and I remember when there were heated discussions (years ago) about just bringing one on the trail – not to mention using one. Now they’re just accepted and some think you’re foolish and irresponsible to hike without them and this is just one scenario they will use to support their claim.

As technology improves and becomes more available the controversial spot-like devices will also be seen as a "must-carried" item for the "responsible" hiker.

Rain Man
04-03-2010, 08:37
Am grateful the injury wasn't more serious, good help was right at hand, and he's safely home. Thanks for the level-headed report, too.

Rain Man

Lyle
04-03-2010, 08:51
I agree that Spot will become more and more accepted. I sincerely hope that they develop it to the point that more information other than a basic "help" is allowed. Even a two-level request for help. One for dire, life-threatening emergency, another for non-life threatening, but requiring assistance emergency. Also a quick acknowledgement that the message was received will go a long way to improving it's potential. As in this case, rescuers need to know how dire a situation is, so that they can judge the risks they take. Knowing that the injured person was not alone, and that he was sheltered and ok allowed the rescuers to use more care and planning - good for everyone.

Great account. Best wishes for a quick and full recovery.

moytoy
04-03-2010, 09:20
I keep going back to the TJ account of this rescue and rereading it. I have the nagging question as to whether the rescue with chainsaws and all the support people was premature. It seems to me that they could have holed up in the shelter for a day and wait for the knee pain to either subside or get worse. I wasn't there so I'm not trying to second guess their haste to get to a hospital. I'm more trying to decide what I would do if it were me with the hurt knee.
I'm wondering if anybody else here had the same thoughts.

sasquatch2014
04-03-2010, 11:35
Yes same though had crossed my mind while I reviewed it but not there so who knows.

Panzer1
04-03-2010, 11:43
my impression is that he tore or broke something in his knee. That's not going to get better in a day. I think it was a legitimate rescue.

Panzer

Panzer1
04-03-2010, 13:20
I agree that Spot will become more and more accepted. I sincerely hope that they develop it to the point that more information other than a basic "help" is allowed. Even a two-level request for help. One for dire, life-threatening emergency, another for non-life threatening, but requiring assistance emergency. Also a quick acknowledgement that the message was received will go a long way to improving it's potential. As in this case, rescuers need to know how dire a situation is, so that they can judge the risks they take. Knowing that the injured person was not alone, and that he was sheltered and ok allowed the rescuers to use more care and planning - good for everyone.

Sounds like you're describing a cell phone...

Panzer

Nevermind
04-03-2010, 13:37

Great account. Best wishes for a quick and full recovery.
I think Spots do have two "help" buttons. One goes to the contacts you set up (email or text), so that would be for "ah $%^# I need help but don't send in the chopper and Saint Bernards". The other is "911" which has the Spot center call up the appropriate personnel for that area and they drive/hike/fly/pogo-stick in to the rescue.

I agree though that the ambiguity is a problem. This guy's situation would not have warranted the "911" button, but the " :( " button would have been alright. As long as a phone could get service I think it would always be the ideal method for emergencies.

Glad they got him out safely and he didn't have to make the injury worse by walking on it.

bigcranky
04-03-2010, 14:45
Dunno, I wasn't there, but this one looks legit. Given the extreme pain, and the possibility his partner could go into shock any time, it looks like a good call from here.

I have a lot of respect for the rescue crew hacking their way up to the shelter that fast.

WILLIAM HAYES
04-03-2010, 17:11
good job by all -never liked privys

SawnieRobertson
04-03-2010, 23:55
I hate privys too. But, oh, the reason for posting again ~> the followup on Privy Lizard is up. ~> Kinnickinic

moytoy
04-04-2010, 06:07
partial quote from TJ

Bill did not have arthroscopic surgery. They laid open his leg from the knee half way up his thigh. It turns out that all the tendons on the front of his leg were completely separated from the knee. They reattached all and sent him home. I called him from home the next day but he was still loopy and I had to get the details from Jane.
My trip home was uneventful.
Bill has had the staples and stitches removed and is already in therapy although still wearing a brace. The surgery was determined to be successful and it will take a full year before the leg feels normal again. He will be able to walk normally before then though. Bill won't be hiking for a while. Bummer.
See you on the trail. John

nitewalker
04-04-2010, 07:49
all i have to say is WOW!! i would not want that to hapen anywhere nevermind at a shelter in the woods, yikes!!! im glad privylizard will be okay and i would also like to give john a thumbs up for handling the situation the way he did. the rescue team as always gets the top billing when recue is performed correctly. sometimes sar teams do not get enough props for what they do. lets give a big thumbs to all involved with the situation from top to bottom...hiphip hooray!!!