PDA

View Full Version : The latest Mantracker...

Wise Old Owl
04-02-2010, 08:36
The last two guy's had a compass and a map and could not stay on course and actually doubled back by accident after going three miles in the wrong direction... They were so confused as to where they were half the time that they actually won the event out of frustration of the tracker.

I cannot imagine such poor skills in the bush...

beakerman
04-02-2010, 18:54
well you haven't seen some of my friends from down on the bayou...one of them got lost with a GPS...now that is horrible.

Tinker
04-02-2010, 23:49
I thought at least one of them (actually, both of them) got caught, but I suffer from CRS.

Wise Old Owl
04-03-2010, 15:41
no I have a tivo for Vios, this was the latest, "canadian brothers are trailed across Northern Saskatchewan's boreal forest."

Wise Old Owl
05-12-2010, 15:11
NEW INTERVIEW...TERRY GRANT

http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/Tracking+down+Mantracker/2521196/story.html

passinBYE
05-12-2010, 15:30
I am surprised that so many get caught.

Wise Old Owl
05-12-2010, 15:36
Im not, so many show up to play the game thinking in terms of checkers, He is on another level of playing the game like chess. The folks that get into this make very interesting mistakes.

the woman can't catch their breath, make too much noise and continue to talk. The men make obvious mistakes with the compass, (attention to detail) None of them get on the trail early on the second day. Few ever work up to the required distances. None up to now have practiced any steath in their track to the finish.

sixhusbands
05-12-2010, 15:44
I just saw the show for the first time. Are there any rules that the prey must adhere too?

passinBYE
05-12-2010, 16:02
I would do most of my moving at night. When him and his horses are at camp sleeping.

Wise Old Owl
05-12-2010, 17:45
Me too but then there wouldn't be a show. I noticed how high the sun is when they get started...

JAK
05-12-2010, 18:04
You would think a really good adventure racer or orienteerer would do very well. They seem to get a wide variety of participants. These last two were urbanites for Toronto if it was the show I watched. Alot depends on the terrain at the finish.

Wise Old Owl
05-12-2010, 18:28
Jak the latest I caught on Tivo was two guys that participated in the olympics and won the challange.. great show cant tell you which season but very well done.

nitewalker
05-12-2010, 20:05
I just saw the show for the first time. Are there any rules that the prey must adhere too?

i caught todays episode from the middle of the show to rite before the ending. the two guys put on neopreene wet suits to ford a river while trying to escape. i had to leave so im not sure if they won or not..

as for the rules, im sure they must have some guidelines that the contestants need to follow. :D

Wise Old Owl
05-12-2010, 20:08
Actually they were dry suits. I looked it up and wow these guys are UL and have kahonas.... I AM IMPRESSED!

Dogwood
05-12-2010, 20:10
Welcome, to HOLLYWOOD!

Dogwood
05-12-2010, 20:11
Humans act in predictable ways!

Humans are such easy prey!

Wise Old Owl
05-12-2010, 20:28
Welcome, to HOLLYWOOD!

What? NO Hollywoody.... Just CANADA!

Dogwood
05-12-2010, 20:36
Ok, I'll put Jollywoody I mean Hollywoody in there for you WOO.

Seems someone read my post on the "Are sleeping pads needed thread!"

Connie
05-15-2010, 15:40
Did you see the episode where the girls won!

Yeah. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fviZqz9Tb9E

There were mistakes, but they did some things right.

Nice scenery up there in Canada, by the way!

Marvin
05-16-2010, 09:44
Way to go, Liisa & Nicolina! :clap

A lesson learned: Don't scare your enemy.

:D

Wise Old Owl
05-16-2010, 14:58
awesome... they did great, I am not sure which season that was... But as the seasons progress, Terry gets better and better.

Graywolf
05-16-2010, 20:38
When I first began watching this program, there were a couple of episodes where the "prey" won..they won by going unorthodox. They would go across country insead of taking the usual track. I saw one interesting one where the "prey" followed the river that came to the finish, instead of following the trails. terry was out checking the trails while the prey got away in the river, very clever. Terry could explain it, kept saying," this boggles me" I just can not find anysign of where they are", when the whole time they were in the river..

After that, most of the prey were doing a lot of stupid mistakes..I stopped watching after a while..

Graywolf

Wise Old Owl
05-16-2010, 23:03
nah keep it up, its a "bit" of chess and the rules keep evolving.. I keep thinking that one can write the rules just like those guys did for "Deep Blue"

le loupe
05-16-2010, 23:16
I am surprised that so many get caught.

I'm suprised this is a show. Caught it one day while home sick.

How many time can I watch a bearded guy on horseback strike his pose?

Wise Old Owl
05-16-2010, 23:22
One per show... YYYYAhhhooo. Not (now thats humor) its not about striking a pose...

It's about going down the trail with what you can pull from the show and use some of the skills that might tell you something about who is ahead of you.

Wise Old Owl
06-01-2010, 19:10
INTENSITY
NEVER UNDERESTIMATE YOUR APPONENT
COVER AS MUCH GROUND AS POSSIBLE.
MAKE FALSE TRACK IN WRONG DIRECTION
GET HIM OFF THE HORSE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE.
DIRECTION SIGNS DON’T WORK
BRIGHT COLORS ARE STUPID.
TAKING A HIGH ALTITUDE TRAIL WHEN IT FOLLOWS A LOW ALTITUDE TRAIL WON’T WORK.
IF YOU KNOW WHAT THE CHASE IS GOING TO DO – YOU ARE RIGHT.
TOO RISKY TO ATTEMPT TO CATCH ON HIGHWAY
HIGHWAY REVEAL YOUR POSTION.
MEADOWS GIVE YOU UP.
DON’T TAKE EASY ROAD
SPOT GLASS.
BINOCULARS
TWO WAY RADIO
SKIP A WATER SOURCE – BAD DECISION
CHANGE FOOT WEAR
Camp pretty quick
Walk in high grass behind each other.

POSSE

MANTRACKER – BRIGHT BLUE SHIRT & BLACK HAT
SIDE KICK – WHITE HAT

SIDE TRAIL PUSHED DOWN LEAVES / MUD OR DIRT ON TOP ½ HOUR IN FRONT.
DEW SIGN IN THE MORNING.
TRACK EVERY 80 YARDS.
RAVENS GIVE UP YOUR LOCATION.

ABSENCE OF DUST ON STUFF
CHANGE OF COLOR OF DIRT

CAN’T CATCH ON FOOT.

WHAT WORKS
20 PACES AND DOWN

Wise Old Owl
06-15-2010, 20:05
I was hoping someone would add to that or argue or pull it apart... But accept it? Crap I don't know everything.

Wise Old Owl
06-27-2010, 17:31
INTENSITY
NEVER UNDERESTIMATE YOUR APPONENT
COVER AS MUCH GROUND AS POSSIBLE.
MAKE FALSE TRACK IN WRONG DIRECTION but don't come back on the same track
GET HIM OFF THE HORSE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE.
DIRECTION SIGNS DON’T WORK
BRIGHT COLORS ARE STUPID.
Freeze if he doesn't spot you running attracts attention
TAKING A HIGH ALTITUDE TRAIL WHEN IT FOLLOWS A LOW ALTITUDE TRAIL WON’T WORK.
IF YOU KNOW WHAT THE CHASE IS GOING TO DO – YOU ARE RIGHT.
TOO RISKY TO ATTEMPT TO CATCH ON HIGHWAY
HIGHWAY REVEAL YOUR POSTION.
MEADOWS GIVE YOU UP.
circles mess him up
DON’T TAKE EASY ROAD
SPOT GLASS.
BINOCULARS
TWO WAY RADIO
SKIP A WATER SOURCE – BAD DECISION
CHANGE FOOT WEAR
Camp pretty quick
Walk in high grass behind each other.

POSSE

MANTRACKER – BRIGHT BLUE SHIRT & BLACK HAT
SIDE KICK – WHITE HAT

SIDE TRAIL PUSHED DOWN LEAVES / MUD OR DIRT ON TOP ½ HOUR IN FRONT.
DEW SIGN IN THE MORNING.
TRACK EVERY 80 YARDS.
RAVENS GIVE UP YOUR LOCATION.
look for shine of plants going down the middle of the road
ABSENCE OF DUST ON STUFF
CHANGE OF COLOR OF DIRT
CAN’T CATCH ON FOOT.
The took no knowledge to disguise a trail

WHAT WORKS
20 PACES AND DOWN

well here are some changes

expenditioner
06-27-2010, 22:23
What night and what network is the show on?

Wise Old Owl
06-28-2010, 08:23
http://science.discovery.com/tv/mantracker/

click on shedule

IceAge
06-28-2010, 12:09
I guess I'm a fairly good tracker, at least I'm the guy that everyone in our deer camp ( and some of my neighbors) comes and gets when they need to find a deer they think they may have wounded.

I've only seen bits of this show, but I've seen a lot of mistakes on the part of the prey. One is trying to disguise their tracks. All that does is create a bigger disturbance and make your trail easier to spot. Another is building barricades over their trail, again, just creates a larger disturbance.

The example in the first post is about the only one I can think of where making false track would work, because they screwed up and made a 3-mile long backtrack! Most people are too lazy to go more than 20 feet.

Tracking is pretty cool once you start practicing at it, it takes patience and attention to detail. I've tracked deer on frozen ground on the barest of evidence, like some seeds brushed off of a group of low-growing plants.

How much of a head start are the contestants given? That would be the big difference maker for me.

expenditioner
06-28-2010, 12:26
Thanks for the information.hope its not one of those networks the cable charges extra for

Wise Old Owl
06-28-2010, 16:22
Ice Age they are given a two mile start or equal to 4 minutes.

Wise Old Owl
07-12-2010, 23:17
After watching many shows one thing is clear - one person has some backpack or camping knowhow and is clearly paired with "festus" sidekick. If things are going badly the first day the pair is given some clues to "straighten up and fly right"

thestin
07-13-2010, 01:04
Most of the scenes you see are reshot after the chase.

Prey are hunter have rules about when they can be moving and when they must be camped. I too thought that the prey left awfully late on the second day, but that is probably due to rules about when they can leave.

thestin
07-13-2010, 01:05
That should be "prey AND hunter" not 'prey are hunter".

Wise Old Owl
10-02-2010, 19:55
New - Mantracker gets to chase Police with a role reversal tonight!

JAK
10-02-2010, 20:20
That was a great list WOO. Your really into this show huh.

Got a really funny story for you. A friend and I take our two daughters for a hike in Rockwood Park, which is a fairly big heavily wooded park here in Saint John, not like a city park with grass and stuff. Anyway, you can't really get lost for days but you can get lost for hours and we are sort of on a 3 hour schedule so we tell the girls they have to stay close, and stop at any trail crossings if they go ahead, that sort of thing.

Anyhow, about 2 hours in the girls say they want to play MANTRACKER. I say, "well I don't know if that's a really good idea, we have to know where you are headed and...", and while I'm saying this there saying like "yeah that a great idea ok see yah" and they are off like a shot. So we are like "ok this could get interesting", and quickly hiking after them thinking they can't be going to far, but withing minutes they are history. So Len and I sort of make a plan, we both know the park fairly well and so he takes one route and I go into trail runner mode and start running around and cutting back on all these side trails. Stop and ask a few people if they have seen them. Long story short we tracked them down after about 40min and 8km of trail running on my part and resolved never to play MANTRACKER again without at least discussing the rules and setting some boundaries. I don't even think they had a plan at all. I don't even think they knew where we were going. Turns out the ran off for about 10min, and then hid, and then about 5min or 10min later it occurred to them that there was a really good chance we had no idea where they were, so then they panicked and started hiking out the wrong way, well at least it was a plan and they were heading for a telephone. Anyway. Good times. It's a great park for that sort of thing really, so I think we will so it again. Maybe a few rules next time. lol

"Let's play Mantracker" "OK bye" Voom. "Hey Wait" lol

Wise Old Owl
10-02-2010, 20:32
That was a great list WOO. Your really into this show huh.

Got a really funny story for you. A friend and I take our two daughters for a hike in Rockwood Park, which is a fairly big heavily wooded park here in Saint John, not like a city park with grass and stuff. Anyway, you can't really get lost for days but you can get lost for hours and we are sort of on a 3 hour schedule so we tell the girls they have to stay close, and stop at any trail crossings if they go ahead, that sort of thing.

Anyhow, about 2 hours in the girls say they want to play MANTRACKER. I say, "well I don't know if that's a really good idea, we have to know where you are headed and...", and while I'm saying this there saying like "yeah that a great idea ok see yah" and they are off like a shot. So we are like "ok this could get interesting", and quickly hiking after them thinking they can't be going to far, but withing minutes they are history. So Len and I sort of make a plan, we both know the park fairly well and so he takes one route and I go into trail runner mode and start running around and cutting back on all these side trails. Stop and ask a few people if they have seen them. Long story short we tracked them down after about 40min and 8km of trail running on my part and resolved never to play MANTRACKER again without at least discussing the rules and setting some boundaries. I don't even think they had a plan at all. I don't even think they knew where we were going. Turns out the ran off for about 10min, and then hid, and then about 5min or 10min later it occurred to them that there was a really good chance we had no idea where they were, so then they panicked and started hiking out the wrong way, well at least it was a plan and they were heading for a telephone. Anyway. Good times. It's a great park for that sort of thing really, so I think we will so it again. Maybe a few rules next time. lol

"Let's play Mantracker" "OK bye" Voom. "Hey Wait" lol

Thats very close to how this show got started, The Tracker started with find ing lost hikers and each season he has improved the skills and "chess" like approch. I thought at first this would be a stupid show... Now I apply what I have learned to general hiking to figure out who is in front of me, And animals and stuff.

JAK
10-02-2010, 20:52
You got me really thinking now, and my daughter also. It amazes me how I miss this stuff. Like when we used to walk to the playground and she would stop to play and I would tell her to hurry. What's the point? What are we going to the playground for? If she is playing, we are there already!

So you got me thinking. I've been trying to figure out how to get my daughter and maybe one of her friends back to the park for some more hiking. Bingo. She already gave me the answer and I totally missed it. Now I gotta figure out how it might work, but as long as we have some cell phones and work out some ground rules and contingency plans I think I can let them decide the rest of it. Should be fun. I'll let you know how this seasons second episode goes. ;)

Thanks WOO.

Wise Old Owl
10-02-2010, 21:22
aWESOME THE POLICE WIN AGAIN!

Three new rules

do not hit roads near sunset
when close freeze 15 minutes
drop gear in the last 2 miles.

JAK
10-02-2010, 21:40
You need to get on this show. :D
Once my daughter is trained up she can be your partner. :)

Wise Old Owl
10-02-2010, 22:05
One Ausi has already trumped this .... he was good. ....

25 miles Yea I am up for it.... training and compass.....

IronGutsTommy
10-02-2010, 22:20
the tracker uses a horse which is cheesy and unfair advantage. hes got skills but should have to go at his own human powered pace

JAK
10-02-2010, 23:10
Well then the advantage would go to the folks with the head start, and it would just be a footrace. With a horse its assymetrical, which is far more interesting, because the horse and tracker do not always have the advantage, in varying terrain.

Besides which, a good ultramarathon runner should be able to outrun a horse. If this show was longer, like 2 week events, you would see that come into play more.

IronGutsTommy
10-02-2010, 23:12
well when tracking, a fleeing person often has a head start otherwise it wouldnt be tracking now would it

IronGutsTommy
10-02-2010, 23:17
if i was on mantracker id set up traps for him. place footprints with a spring spike trap nearby. he bends over to look at the prints.. WHACK!!!! take that old man

4eyedbuzzard
10-03-2010, 01:11
if i was on mantracker id set up traps for him. place footprints with a spring spike trap nearby. he bends over to look at the prints.. WHACK!!!! take that old man
or
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:s3B-RDWOJaXcHM:http://militaryimages.freewebsites.com/claymore-thumb.jpg&t=1
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Wise Old Owl
10-10-2010, 17:59
Little exstream for Warner Brothers - (WB) How about saving that idea...

Wise Old Owl
10-13-2010, 00:00
The latest is not on a straight line, The girl wins they upped the quest, its on a curve.

Wise Old Owl
10-27-2010, 14:20
Well my interest has past this show won't last, They start of cocky, they can't handle rocky, and they end up last.... it's starting to look all the same. kinda lame.