PDA

View Full Version : Camelbak as Pillow

MNBackpacker
04-02-2010, 09:36
Does anyone have any experience using a Camelbak reservoir as a pillow? I want to try it out with water inside. My thought is that I can keep two cups of water warm for the morning and have a comfy pillow. What I'm wondering is if the bite valve cover is secure enough to prevent leaks in the middle of the night or is the Hydrolock the way to go. Maybe neither of them work... With so much down in the tent I cannot afford a water leak. What works for you?

warraghiyagey
04-02-2010, 09:43
Rolled up fleece or spare clothes in stuff sack works for me. . . I don't think I'd sleep well wondering if I was gonna wake up to wet tent/gear and no water source. . .

Gaiter
04-02-2010, 09:59
I don't think I'd sleep well wondering if I was gonna wake up to wet tent/gear

thats what she said

yeah, not worth the risk, extra clothes will do the job just fine

Manwich
04-02-2010, 10:01
I've done it before. The water gets unbearably cold for a sleeping head.

garlic08
04-02-2010, 11:22
I tried it for a few nights with an air-filled Platypus and this might be a coincidence, but that Platy leaked very soon after that. So I don't do that any more.

jnl82381
04-02-2010, 11:28
Thermarest sells a fleece pillowcase that weighs about an oz. You could use that over a stuff sack. I find it more comfortable to have my face on warm fleeze than cold nylon. I think REI or EMS sells them. You might check Campmore, they'll probably have it for less.

Mountain Wildman
04-02-2010, 13:20
I watched a video on Backpacker.com where a guy drove his truck over a Camelbak Titanium with water in it and it did not breach the bladder.

I looked up the video, This link should bring you to it. http://www.backpacker.com/videos_the_backpacker_smackdown_testing_the_camelb ak/videos/2

Hope this helps, I have never tried it, I have the Big Agnes Sleeping Giant Deluxe memory foam pillow, It's extra weight but worth it so I can actually turn my head the next day.

Kerosene
04-02-2010, 13:37
When I bring my 4L bladder (for camping or when springs are quite distant), then I'll inflate the bladder and wrap it in my fleece. Very comfy.

I no longer use Platypus products after one of their Big Zips exploded during a day hike. I like the idea of keeping a few cups of water inside, but mainly so I can sip water during the night. The water won't heat up appreciably if it's outside your bag.

quasarr
04-03-2010, 15:52
I used a Platypus filled with air and stuffed inside a shirt. it never leaked. Water can really suck the heat from you. If you filled it with just a bit of water you could probably have an air pocket next to your head.

Deadeye
04-03-2010, 16:02
Rolled up fleece or spare clothes in stuff sack works for me. . . I don't think I'd sleep well wondering if I was gonna wake up to wet tent/gear and no water source. . .

Ditto...

One of my stuff sacks is cotton, that's the one I stuff at night.

kayak karl
04-03-2010, 16:09
whatever you decide don't sleep on a platypus with water in it. it will suck the heat right out of your head. that is where you loss the most heat.

Wise Old Owl
04-03-2010, 16:15
it works but doen't have any advantages. Except wrapped around an injury to prevent swelling.

Lone Wolf
04-03-2010, 21:06
Does anyone have any experience using a Camelbak reservoir as a pillow? What works for you?

food bag and clothes