PDA

View Full Version : Cheese?

joeyt1291
04-02-2010, 10:09
I want to bring cheese on my trip its 6 days in WV to V. Do those individually packed string cheese sticks last? If not what should I bring?

buff_jeff
04-02-2010, 10:15
I've packed string cheese a few times in the middle of summer and they lasted at least 3 days. I'm sure you can get 6 days out of them.

Turtle Feet
04-02-2010, 10:18
I want to bring cheese on my trip its 6 days in WV to V. Do those individually packed string cheese sticks last? If not what should I bring?

Well, being born & raised in Wisconsin, I've seen more than my fair share of cheese...:rolleyes:

String cheese wraps tend to get 'watery' when they get left at room temp (or higher) too long. I wouldn't recommend those. Plus you have all the individual wrappers to wrangle with.

What kind of cheese do you like? I take a block (sometimes more than one) of Colby/Jack on pretty much every trip I've ever taken. My kids will eat it, it stays fine (packaging can get a little oily) for at least a week. I keep in a zip-lock.

When weight is not an issue, I'll pack a summer sausage, block of cheese and pitas. That will be lunch every day for my kids & I.

You can figure about 1oz of cheese per 'meal'. An 8oz block could last you a week.

Hope that helps...

garlic08
04-02-2010, 10:53
I'm no cheesehead (grew up in IL), but I think those string cheese packages pack slightly better and are easier to handle than larger blocks, especially in warmer weather. In cooler temperatures (below 85F), I can easily carry cheese for a week. In warmer temps, I carry cheese for a few days then switch to peanut butter for fat.

makoboy
04-02-2010, 11:06
I carry a block of the sharpest cheddar i can find, along with some kind of dried sausage. Cheese keeps well on the trail so long as it is not moldy. Typically, the harder the cheese, the better it will keep.

jnl82381
04-02-2010, 11:16
I know that the string cheese is supposed to be refrigerated. That being said, I've taken it when the weather is not forcasted to be too hot.

Most gas stations, and I'm sure Walmart has them somewhere, have packages of cheese and jerky that they keep at room temp. That may be an option if your looking at packability and don't want to bring an entire block of cheese.

grayfox
04-02-2010, 13:47
My favorite cheese to pack, other than very sharp cheddar, is Gouda. For a long trip take two. The wax wrapper burns as a fire starter. Take the one that says "refrigerate after opening". Buy the freshest date. The smoked ones last longer. A lot more flavor than string cheese IMO. A tiny knife will do to slice.

Ramble~On
04-02-2010, 15:29
I carried different types of block cheeses for my entire hike and never had a problem in summer. It was almost always gone before it had been in the pack more than four days and there are so many places to resupply it wasn't an issue. 8 oz blocks of sharp cheddar hold up great in summer.

Jonnycat
04-02-2010, 15:35
Roman soldiers lived on cheese two thousand years ago, and they didn't have refrigerators.

Panzer1
04-02-2010, 17:33
I frequently carry laughing cow cheese wedges. They come in individual wrapped servings and don't need to be refrigerated.

Panzer

MichaelRedBeard
04-02-2010, 18:12
Cool. Never thought of that.

Bear Cables
04-02-2010, 19:04
Laughing Cow makes little individual cheeses with wax coating. They hold up very well. I ate the last ones on day 5 and they were as good as day one.

Erin
04-03-2010, 00:15
I did not need it, but have Gulf Wax parafin for dipping cheese in to keep.I got that tip from a friend who hiked out west for a month with no resupply. We did not need it and ended up splitting velveeta with our bunch (that stuff keeps, I am not sure I want to know why) and used laughing cow and sting cheese in hot weather.

G-WALK
04-03-2010, 00:18
A nice hunk of chedder worked for me...

Graywolf
04-03-2010, 01:43
A can of cheeze wiz works for me..last a long time and no refrigeration required..Carry this with a pack of tortillas and summer sausage, you are ready to go..

Graywolf

Wheeler
04-03-2010, 02:22
cheese will last just fine. not an issue.

Hikes in Rain
04-03-2010, 08:38
The real purpose for cheese is to store milk without refrigeration. When you're hiking, it won't last long enough to be an issue. If you get it waxed, or wax it yourself, use the peeled off protection as fire starters! Double duty.

Stir Fry
04-03-2010, 09:25
Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

It depends on the type of cheese. Most soft cheeses like cottage cheese need to be refigerated pretty consistantly to maintain freshness because of their low salt content. Harder cheeses such as cheddar can sit out on the counter for several days even weeks depending on the size of the block of cheese. It may sound gross, but if you have a large block of cheese that gets moldy, the rule of thumb is that you can cut the cheese away an inch below the mold and the rest of the block is just fine to eat. And really hard cheeses such as parmesean can be left out for a long time as long as it isnt super hot or anything because they have a very high salt content which helps to preserve the cheese. Good parmesean is generally aged for several months out in the open air anyway to allow the moisture to evaporate so unless you are eating riccotta or cottage cheese you will be just fine, and even so just one day probably wont do much damage.

3 years ago

Report Abuse (http://answers.yahoo.com/answer/report;_ylt=AuIr4jH63qQ0EZdZSzVXBWp76xR.;_ylv=3?qi d=20070305233810AABSlzj&kid=TJEuDzK0U2O_EXPBM3KS.k4XcfBjEg500dedL8.USJMwXq dZ46L9&.crumb=.ZMtVR1DvKNu)

Asker's Rating: http://l.yimg.com/h/21137/images/all/rating-5.gif Asker's Comment: Why thank you kindly.

shelterbuilder
04-03-2010, 14:57
...It may sound gross, but if you have a large block of cheese that gets moldy, the rule of thumb is that you can cut the cheese away an inch below the mold and the rest of the block is just fine to eat....

My wife always shudders when I mention this, but the natural way to age cheese is to LET IT GO MOLDY, then remove the mold after it has finished the "aging" process.

Wise Old Owl
04-03-2010, 16:02
Gosh that is the old world process and the mold is generally good for you, hence, aged 90 days... wait so is mineral water... go figure..

I have a sunsheild sewn into a bag that wrapps around the water bladder. So string cheese can be placed right next to the bladder. This way my back wo't heat the bladder in my pack.

Kel, the "Stickman"
04-03-2010, 16:09
CHEETOS! Hmmmm... post was too short! OK... CHEETOS!!!!

Hikes in Rain
04-03-2010, 16:16
My wife always shudders when I mention this, but the natural way to age cheese is to LET IT GO MOLDY, then remove the mold after it has finished the "aging" process.

Mine, as well, and in addition, she gives me "The Look". I haven't told her what makes blue cheese and Stilton blue............:rolleyes:

Graywolf
04-03-2010, 16:59
Mine, as well, and in addition, she gives me "The Look". I haven't told her what makes blue cheese and Stilton blue............:rolleyes:

If your ever come to Dallas, take her to the Mozzerella Factory in downtown..She will learn so much about cheese, she could write a book..Very good visit and tastey too if you like cheese..

Graywolf

Tinker
04-03-2010, 18:37
Yes. I'm sure I'm not the only one who answered your question that way.

shelterbuilder
04-04-2010, 15:20

Um, yes, well, perhaps it's best if they not be reminded. :D

Coming from a thrifty family with Pa. Dutch roots, we used to cut off SUBSTANTIALLY less than 1 inch from our molded sharp cheese (my Grandma used to call it "rat-trap" cheese - yes, she grew up in the country)...the "extra" aging never seemed to bother any of us.

Generally, the less moisture that's in the cheese, the better it will keep. And the individually-wrapped sticks should be good for quite a while, although they will get soft.

Here's another idea: if you have a piece of absorbent cloth, wet it and wrap it around your perishables, then put it on the outside of your pack where the water can evaporate. Cooling by evaporation, while not able to achieve "refrigerator" temperatures, can manage to keep things surprisingly cool. This works best in areas with low humidity, and out of the direct sunlight (to avoid solar/thermal warming) - and with a little breeze.

Jonnycat
04-04-2010, 22:52
Coming from a thrifty family with Pa. Dutch roots, we used to cut off SUBSTANTIALLY less than 1 inch from our molded sharp cheese (my Grandma used to call it "rat-trap" cheese - yes, she grew up in the country)...the "extra" aging never seemed to bother any of us.

Same here, mate. I just cut off the mouldy part, maybe a sconce more, and it's good to go.

Hikes in Rain
04-05-2010, 13:17
Just to give you an idea of how "bad" cheese can get before it's considered inedible. Casu marzu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_marzu). Note that this is way beyond my personal line of consumability!

Chicken Feathers
04-05-2010, 13:53
I cut the cheese sometimes and sometimes it oozes out :confused:

Graywolf
04-05-2010, 16:13

Such an inappropriate and childish remark!!! Go take a hike!!

Garywolf

Jester2000
04-07-2010, 13:57
You can figure about 1oz of cheese per 'meal'. An 8oz block could last you a week.

Hope that helps...

Only 1oz per meal?!? My God, man, why would you torture yourself that way? An 8oz block isn't going to last past lunch on day one.

I can easily carry cheese for a week. In warmer temps, I carry cheese for a few days then switch to peanut butter for fat.

I switch to peanut butter with cheese.

Okay, here's my answer: string cheese will absolutely not last 6 days, because it will be gone. Gone! You'll have eaten them all by day 2. But you'll have a backup plan, and that plan will be MORE CHEESE.

Sure, sure, you'll eat the high water content cheeses you've got on you early in the trip, and then you'll eat your way through progressively harder cheeses. You'll end up on the last day with a block of Sharp Vermont Cheddar, and you'll finish the last of that block with crackers and a celebratory end of trail beer in some suitably cheese-filled establishment. Where you will buy some cheese to go for the trip home.

imscotty
10-22-2015, 16:23
I knew it......

http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-dd-cheese-addictive-drugs-20151022-story.html

Venchka
10-22-2015, 16:26

Go buy some cheese. Put it on your kitchen counter. Come back in a week and eat it. Let us know how that worked for you.

Next question?

Wayne

Rolex
10-22-2015, 19:27

Yeah right. Good luck with that. I seem to eat it up first thing! No cheese will ever ride in my pack six days!

saltysack
10-22-2015, 20:46
Yep...I saw people mail string cheese in there mtr bucket near 1 month before even picking up bucket...don't think u need to worry..ill be carrying 3 blocks of Cabot seriously sharp cheddar on my next trip for 6 days..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Odd Man Out
10-22-2015, 21:01
I have switched to summer sausage and cheese for breakfast. I will also add a fruit bar for carbs. I've had the string cheese, laughing cow singles, chunks of cheddar. But I'm partial to granna padano. It's like parmasian but quite as sharp.

Leanthree
10-22-2015, 21:01
Go buy some cheese. Put it on your kitchen counter. Come back in a week and eat it. Let us know how that worked for you.

Next question?

Wayne

That question was asked in 2010. Maybe he can report back and let us know if he died or not from cheese poisoning.

shakey_snake
10-22-2015, 21:02

Next question?

WayneInstructions unclear. My cat at the cheese, so I ate my cat.

Venchka
10-22-2015, 21:19
Oops. Sorry for answering an ancient thread. However, it was on the new posts page. Someone else beat me to it.
Was it a good cheese? Cats are so all about "Me, Me, Me!"
Thanks for the chuckle.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Lnj
10-23-2015, 11:51
Laughing Cow makes little individual cheeses with wax coating. They hold up very well. I ate the last ones on day 5 and they were as good as day one.

Those cute little red disks are great too. They come in a few flavors and the wax will just burn away. No fuss, no muss.

Venchka
10-23-2015, 12:06
Baby Bell: Mozzarella & Gouda are the flavors you find most often. The cellophane and wax packaging make excellent fire stating material.
I am very partial to Cabot Alpine Cheddar and apples, fresh, dried or freeze dried. Yum!

Wayne

Uncle Joe
10-25-2015, 09:23

Boy, you ain't right! :rolleyes:

Pedaling Fool
10-30-2015, 11:58
I knew it......

http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-dd-cheese-addictive-drugs-20151022-story.htmlYes, I agree, it's addictive, but I can stop anytime if I really, really, really wanted. Or maybe not:D

http://www.bicycling.com/food/nutrition/why-cheese-so-addictive?cid=NL_BIK_-_10302015_&smartcode=YN_0006946241_0001531427

Excerpt:

"Cheese's protein, casein (http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Protein-Chocolate-Supreme/dp/B002DYJ0OI), which is found in milk products, releases casomorphins, which act like opiates, when digested. These casomorphins then cling to your brain, activating the opiate receptors, producing an effect not much different than heroin or morphine. Those happy feelings you get when eating the protein-rich cheese quickly develop into a full-blown addiction. Your brain gets swamped with happy feelings of reward, and you reach for more. But don't be so hard on yourself."

saltysack
10-30-2015, 12:14
Best backpacking meal around!!! Keeps lots longer than lasts on a trip!Just add crackers!http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/30/4d37ce4249c918976e1c7a21b89cbbca.jpg

BonBon
10-31-2015, 05:35
I always carried cheese and about halfway through the hike met a german chef called Tonreg- and he turned me on to roasting my tortillas with cheese on the fire, making olive oil and garlic mix to dip it in. So then I always carried a folded swatch of heavy duty tin foil to make that little treat in case I camped where there was a fire ring. It's the little things...
My cheese was always fine. I got hard sharp cheddar blocks.

saltysack
10-31-2015, 07:59
I always carried cheese and about halfway through the hike met a german chef called Tonreg- and he turned me on to roasting my tortillas with cheese on the fire, making olive oil and garlic mix to dip it in. So then I always carried a folded swatch of heavy duty tin foil to make that little treat in case I camped where there was a fire ring. It's the little things...
My cheese was always fine. I got hard sharp cheddar blocks.

That sounds good! That olive oil spice mix that carrabbas serves with bread sounds perfect! I guess my shepherd hook ti tent stakes would work for a fire grate...ill give it a try on next trip!!

Pedaling Fool
10-31-2015, 08:44
I knew it......

http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-dd-cheese-addictive-drugs-20151022-story.html

Yes, I agree, it's addictive, but I can stop anytime if I really, really, really wanted. Or maybe not:D

http://www.bicycling.com/food/nutrition/why-cheese-so-addictive?cid=NL_BIK_-_10302015_&smartcode=YN_0006946241_0001531427

Excerpt:

"Cheese's protein, casein (http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Protein-Chocolate-Supreme/dp/B002DYJ0OI), which is found in milk products, releases casomorphins, which act like opiates, when digested. These casomorphins then cling to your brain, activating the opiate receptors, producing an effect not much different than heroin or morphine. Those happy feelings you get when eating the protein-rich cheese quickly develop into a full-blown addiction. Your brain gets swamped with happy feelings of reward, and you reach for more. But don't be so hard on yourself."

Leave it to some science writer to burst our bubble :D

https://www.sciencenews.org/blog/scicurious/no-cheese-not-just-crack?tgt=nr

Excerpt:

No, cheese is not just like crack

"Cheese is a delicious invention. But if you saw the news last week, you might think it’s on its way to being classified as a Schedule II drug. Headlines proclaimed “Say cheese? All the time? Maybe you have an addiction (https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/say-cheese-all-the-time-maybe-you-have-an-addiction/2015/10/26/b870fcce-78fb-11e5-b9c1-f03c48c96ac2_story.html),” “Cheese really is crack (http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-dd-cheese-addictive-drugs-20151022-story.html)” and “Your cheese addiction is real (http://www.kshb.com/entertainment/38-the-spot-kmci/your-cheese-addiction-is-real-1).” Under the headlines, the stories referred to a study examining the addictive properties of various foods. Pizza was at the top. The reason? The addictive properties of cheese, which the articles claim contains “dangerous” opiate-like chemicals called casomorphins.

But you can’t explain away your affinity for cheese by saying you’re addicted. The study in those stories,published earlier this year (http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0117959) in PLOS ONE, did investigate which foods are most associated with addictive-like eating behaviors. Pizza did come out on top in one experiment. But the scientists who did the research say this has little to do with the delicious dairy products involved. Instead, they argue, the foods we crave the most are those processed to have high levels of sugars and fat, and it’s these ingredients that leave us coming back for another slice. The cheese? Probably superfluous.

“I was horrified by the misstatements and the oversimplifications … and the statements about how it’s an excuse to overeat,” says Ashley Gearhardt of the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, who led the study. “Liking is not the same as addiction. We like lots of things. I like hip-hop music and sunshine and my wiener dog, but I’m not addicted to her. I eat cheese every day. That’s doesn’t mean you’re addicted or it has addictive potential.”